• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I expect Wii U to go full blown with apps.

Almost to the point where apps will become one of the Wii U's key features.

Not even joking. I think Nintendo is going to go crazy with apps and making partnerships with companies to put their apps on the console.

Netflix and Hulu are just the beginning of something bigger.

A real app store is Nintendo's way of saying fuck you to anyone who tells them to go ios, smartphones, androids, etc.

You're spot on, from what i know of the features/software layer of the system.

Listen to the Gangsta Cat !

HylianTom

Banned
I'm not linking to it, but the way Escapist magazine has spun the Crysis 3 story is disgusting

"Crytek doesn't think Nintendo's new console can handle it."

"Nintendo's upcoming new console the Wii U won't have enough juice to get the nanosuit working with any fluidity"

"Sorry, Nintendo fans. Chalk up one more third party developer that's not planning on supporting the new platform."
Big surprise, coming from those toadies..

I hope and pray that if the unfathomable (no more Nintendo hardware) were to ever happen, I hope that Nintendo stays true to their word and stops making games altogether. The idea of playing a Mario or Zelda game on one of those others' consoles seems absolutely disgusting to me. Just my personal take.

In that event, I'd be content to play from my back catalog and build my collection for the remainder of my days.

Would you really let your warped Nintendo fanboyism stop you from playing great, new Nintendo games?

I'm not linking to it, but the way Escapist magazine has spun the Crysis 3 story is disgusting

"Nintendo's upcoming new console the Wii U won't have enough juice to get the nanosuit working with any fluidity"

"Sorry, Nintendo fans. Chalk up one more third party developer that's not planning on supporting the new platform."
so many butts pre-emptively hurting. I wonder what it'll be like when it actually comes out.

guek

Banned
You're spot on, from what i know of the features/software layer of the system.

Listen to the Gangsta Cat !

LuszY.jpg

Realize that the Sega that went third-party is not the Sega that made the Dreamcast. Those guys were purchased by a company that manufactured pachinko machines, and Sega was not kept as a separate entity (and in the process they lost a lot of the people who made Sega was it was).

SEGA SAMMY?

regardless of who sega is today I am talking about where the IPs went they should have focused on one platform even without the old talent the focus would have helped a lot... It does not have to be Nintendo it could have been SONY or MS but focus on one platform and allow your fans to find you.

Which SEGA deved that sweet F-Zero GX / AX?

BurntPork

Banned

lol

Amazing.

HylianTom

Banned
Would you really let your warped Nintendo fanboyism stop you from playing great, new Nintendo games?
I'd take my cue from Miyamoto if they were to go to MS or Sony.
(I was referring to the "Nintendo stops making everything" scenario on that "I'll stop entirely" statement.)

snesfreak

Banned

Sounds like some of the crap I've seen on GAF.

…prior to Kinect Star Wars, I had been hoping Nintendo might try to band together the remnants of Factor 5 and create an intense sequel to Rogue Squadron on the Wii U. But, with the damage Kinect Star Wars has done, I think the Star Wars IP may be too damaged to touch for about 2 or 3 years.

Are you kidding?

Reggie: But before you leave, I'd like you to take one last look at the new direction… of the Wii U.
*buncha younger dudes trot in*
Reggie: We've assembled a joint team from LucasArts and Nintendo's new Factor 5 studio to bring you the latest title in the Star Wars Universe.
*projector screen lights up with intense scene of ships flying around with lasers and shit*
Reggie: Unlike recent efforts on the market, we plan to deliver the truly rewarding game experience… which fans have been clamoring for… since nearly a decade ago.
*gigantic explosion that aforementioned dev team mock-reacts to*
Reggie: Star Wars: Rogue Armada… for the Nintendo Wii U will guide you… along exciting outer space environments… through intense planetary trenches… in incredible online combat… with up to thirty-two players.
*some particularly impressive looking planet-based level with some rather rad effects plays*
Reggie: And best of all… this amazing experience… will involve absolutely no dancing with stormtroopers.
*a storm trooper explodes on screen; it's pretty brutal looking*
Reggie: Thank you.

Nintendo would make bank on this. Nintendo fans in particular have a particular soft spot for the flight-based Star Wars titles on the 64 and Gamecube. They'd ignore any rot the series may have seen in recent years.

Deguello

Well, I think you're making an assumption that Nintendo would be making great games. My hypothetical would clearly put Nintendo in the driver's seat, but if Nintendo were taken over with a bit more hostility I could see a case where Nintendo's game quality would drop at the behest of their new masters. Like Rare. Or Sega.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I am losing trust in you, picking such an easy given as fact :p

phew ! >< I thought you liked my hints :p

But really, before haptic, 3D screen, more advanced rumble, built-in sensor, DA big thing about the Wii U will be its software layer, all the applications, the services available. I know, for a lot of people, it's less sexy to have new toys through virtual, immaterial manners rather than with plastic-smelling physical features. But it will be reallyyyy sexy.

SEGA SAMMY?

regardless of who sega is today I am talking about where the IPs went they should have focused on one platform even without the old talent the focus would have helped a lot... It does not have to be Nintendo it could have been SONY or MS but focus on one platform and allow your fans to find you.

Which SEGA deved that sweet F-Zero GX / AX?

Amusement Vision, which was absorbed into the blob that is Sega Sammy.

Deguello

Are you kidding?

Nintendo would make bank on this. Nintendo fans in particular have a particular soft spot for the flight-based Star Wars titles on the 64 and Gamecube. They'd ignore any rot the series may have seen in recent years.

Well, also consider LucasArts had about 4 years to get the idea of a motion controlled lightsaber game into their heads and when it finally clicked, their choice was the Kinect and as a result, made a game whose main draw is nigh unplayable and the best part of which is a dance minigame. It may be out of Nintendo's hands.

But really, before haptic, 3D screen, more advanced rumble, built-in sensor, DA big thing about the Wii U will be its software layer, all the applications, the services available. I know, for a lot of people, it's less sexy to have new toys through virtual, immaterial manners rather than with plastic-smelling physical features. But it will be reallyyyy sexy.

yes WiiU apps will be glorious that is why I am hoping the screen got an upgrade on that uPad or Padlet as you call it

Is this sort of thing better characterized as purely irrational hatred of Nintendo, or as a lasting consequence of years of Nintendo not giving a fuck what Western core/enthusiast gamers think or want? I tend more toward the latter, personally, not that there isn't some irrationality at play.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Saw the article. Quick to jump on the "ha-ha-ha *twirl mustache* Nintendo is still not powerful enough! Ha-ha-ha!" conclusion, am I right?

Well, also consider LucasArts had about 4 years to get the idea of a motion controlled lightsaber game into their heads and when it finally clicked, their choice was the Kinect and as a result, made a game whose main draw is nigh unplayable and the best part of which is a dance minigame. It may be out of Nintendo's hands.

You and IdeaMan, always dashing my unrealistic dreams about the Wii U.

:( *cries* D:

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
The more doom and gloom, the better. All it will do in the end is keep people's expectations very low for E3.

I don't know, this systematic reporting process of every statement of "analysts" about the Wii U these late months is getting so old imo. There have been 2000 pages dedicated to that, and maybe 5 about gamedesign ideas possible thanks to the Wii U new setup. It's a shame.

We need a fresh tempest to rejuvenate this sector, from the press & public relation management to the gamedesign in itself.

2012 videogames don't match at all what many of us envisioned & hoped for it, twenty years ago.

Glass Joe

I expect Wii U to go full blown with apps.

Almost to the point where apps will become one of the Wii U's key features.

Not even joking. I think Nintendo is going to go crazy with apps and making partnerships with companies to put their apps on the console.

Netflix and Hulu are just the beginning of something bigger.

A real app store is Nintendo's way of saying fuck you to anyone who tells them to go ios, smartphones, androids, etc.

I wonder if this supposed high tablet cost is somewhat due to there being some kind of processor / storage in the unit itself -- Enough that would allow apps and most VC games to be taken on the go?

Maxrunner

Really?they got that from the no fat change comment???fantastic ;D

So Ninity is trying to out app apple in some way?

I am curious to see how Nintendo balances the WiiMote and uPad for the WiiU

I know you'll need your motion plus for old Wii games BC but what about new games?

will we see WiiU titles that ignore the pad controller in favor of motion plus plus?

I don't know, this systematic reporting process of every statement of "analysts" about the Wii U these late months is getting so old imo. There have been 2000 pages dedicated to that, and maybe 5 about gamedesign ideas possible thanks to the Wii U new setup. It's a shame.

We need a fresh tempest to rejuvenate this sector, from the press & public relation management to the gamedesign in itself.

2012 videogames don't match at all what many of us envisioned & hoped for it, twenty years ago.

A single player quasi-horror game. You are being hunted. Your character is psychic in that it can see through the eyes of the creature hunting it. You control yourself running around in a town/forest/maze/etc via the television screen in third-person, Zelda-style, and you can see the creature's progress from its point of view (like the invisible things in Evil Dead II) on the controller screen. The creature is unstoppable, and it will kill you unless you escape. Use the DRC as a way to guess where the creature is and how close it might be to you while moving your guy on the TV to hunt for an exit or tools that can help you to escape.

There, you go. Happy already?

Thank you for pushing me towards thinking of stuff. I usually don't like my own gameplay ideas, but I think I chanced upon one that actually appeals to me

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I actually hope Nintendo keep the Wii U name. Anyhting else will be spun as Nintendo Lack Confidence.

So Ninity is trying to out app apple in some way?

think full amazon / dd support, steam, onlive, origin, hulu, netflix, google play type things

it does not have to be an Apple Apps Store killer it just needs to have enough to keep that uPad in your hands for longer periods of time if you can get much more content streamed to it

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
A single player quasi-horror game. You are being hunted. Your character is psychic in that it can see through the eyes of the creature hunting it. You control yourself running around in a town/forest/maze/etc via the television screen in third-person, Zelda-style, and you can see the creature's progress from its point of view (like the invisible things in Evil Dead II) on the controller screen. The creature is unstoppable, and it will kill you unless you escape. Use the DRC as a way to guess where the creature is and how close it might be to you while moving your guy on the TV to hunt for an exit or tools that can help you to escape.

There, you go. Happy already?

Thank you for pushing me towards thinking of stuff. I usually don't like my own gameplay ideas, but I think I chanced upon one that actually appeals to me

You're welcome :p

And i love this idea. It must be well implemented to work, with an "easy" way for the player to guess/know where the creature is (maybe each stage will start with a 15 seconds overall view/traveling of the area for you to memorize roughly the settings before the survival trip begins).

USC-fan

Banned
Is this sort of thing better characterized as purely irrational hatred of Nintendo, or as a lasting consequence of years of Nintendo not giving a fuck what Western core/enthusiast gamers think or want? I tend more toward the latter, personally, not that there isn't some irrationality at play.

It has more to do with rumors lately that the wiiu is weak. Plus the ds, 3ds and wii were not powerful compared to sony and MS products. Most in the gaming media seem to think the wiiu is around the ps360.

A two player, two DRC battle simulation. Each person holds a Remote in their dominant hand and the DRC in their off hand. A special strap or attachment allows you to hold it so that its screen is facing your opponent. The Remote is your laser gun, the DRC is an "force-shield". You try to shoot at your opponent while trying to keep your DRC poised in a way that it blocks your opponent's shot. On the TV, a really nicely rendered third-person approximation of what's going on is shown from various, sweeping angles with amazing camera and art direction. The controller screens provide a very basic hint showing how weakened your opponent is. Whether or not you hit your opponent depends on how close their DRC's sensor strip is (especially vertically) to where you were pointing the remote.

This one is a clever idea that won't really go anywhere but could be fun for some. It's rare in a video game that you actually face your opponent, so this would feel more like a realistic confrontation.

think full amazon / dd support, steam, onlive, origin, hulu, netflix, google play type things

it does not have to be an Apple Apps Store killer it just needs to have enough to keep that uPad in your hands for longer periods of time if you can get much more content streamed to it

Sounds like a good strategy for them if that is the case.

I wonder if this supposed high tablet cost is somewhat due to there being some kind of processor / storage in the unit itself -- Enough that would allow apps and most VC games to be taken on the go?
No, for two reasons.
1. That would cut into the 3DS.
2. That would lead to confusion of why they can't do that for all games on the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom