• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment Thread 128: Intersect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme: Intersect

Intersect - To cross, cut, or divide

Submissions are due by Tuesday, May 1st at 11:59 PM.

Voting begins Wednesday, May 2nd at 12:00 AM, and ends Thursday, May 3rd at 11:59 PM.

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos posted in assignment thread should be no larger than 1024 pixels on the long edge. You may include a link to a higher resolution version.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

5) Purple Monkey Dishwasher.

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

pringles

I think this is an awesome theme, but I'll be hard pressed to come up with something before the deadline. Got no time to shoot this week.

sneaky77

that's cool, I went hiking yesterday and got a couple pics for this assignment, probably not as good as what other guys can come up with but I still need to get them outta the camera lol

Maiar_m

Canon 450D | 1/3200| f/2.8 | 50 mm

So yeah, this particular intersection is about clouds being water, and foutains being, well.. You get it.

sneaky77

My entry

201204SouthMountain014-L.jpg

I have a great photo I took on holidays that would work for this, but it wasn't taken for the challenge itself, just during the challenge period. Is it fair to use it?

thatbox

Banned
I have a great photo I took on holidays that would work for this, but it wasn't taken for the challenge itself, just during the challenge period. Is it fair to use it?

Unfortunately not. Since the aim of these is to motivate you to get out and shoot, they're only for pictures you take during the assignment period. Definitely post in the general photo thread, though, If you haven't yet!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

Unfortunately not. Since the aim of these is to motivate you to get out and shoot, they're only for pictures you take during the assignment period.

As long as it was taken between 05:42 PM on April 12th and 11:59 PM on May 1st, it's good to go.

As I said, it was taken during the period, but I didn't go out and take it specifically for the challenge. I'm ok with it not being valid for that reason, but it's not my call.
This is just a case of me having taken a couple hundred photos a day for 3 weeks straight, so I'm not in the mood to take any more before I get a chance to edit the ones I have :D

Game-Biz

My entry:

7114035125_1a435aa7c7_c.jpg

Taking a picture of the famous "bubble gum alley" in San Luis Obispo a few nights ago, and I was a bit buzzed and the man leaning up against the wall seemed like a good shot, and then the lady came walking through which kind of made it cool I think, thus the "intersection."

sneaky77

As I said, it was taken during the period, but I didn't go out and take it specifically for the challenge. I'm ok with it not being valid for that reason, but it's not my call.
This is just a case of me having taken a couple hundred photos a day for 3 weeks straight, so I'm not in the mood to take any more before I get a chance to edit the ones I have :D

I think you're good man, as long as it's from the period of the assignment is all it needs to be.

Lumix

Experimenting with multiple exposures on my walk home.
I might change this submission if I have some spare time.

Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
Exposure: 4 seconds
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 5.1 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Jasoneyu

Changed my submission, my interpretation of the theme is more metaphorical with the intersecting of cultures/times

Here is mine:

6977134908_c076f11bba_b.jpg

Time to vote!

My entry, a quick and dirty one this time:

Water + strawberry lemonade.

Nikon D7000
35mm
f/4.0
1/640s
ISO 1000

Canon 450D | 1/3200| f/2.8 | 50 mm

So yeah, this particular intersection is about clouds being water, and foutains being, well.. You get it.

My entry:

7114035125_1a435aa7c7_c.jpg

Taking a picture of the famous "bubble gum alley" in San Luis Obispo a few nights ago, and I was a bit buzzed and the man leaning up against the wall seemed like a good shot, and then the lady came walking through which kind of made it cool I think, thus the "intersection."

Experimenting with multiple exposures on my walk home.
I might change this submission if I have some spare time.

Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
Exposure: 4 seconds
Aperture: f/7.1
Focal Length: 5.1 mm
ISO Speed: 100

Changed my submission, my interpretation of the theme is more metaphorical with the intersecting of cultures/times

Here is mine:

6977134908_c076f11bba_b.jpg

Okay, here's my attempt for what its worth

Maiar_m

1: Pixel Pete - Lots of details, great exposition and sticks to the theme!
2: Damaged - See, I have this thing for trains and good use of B&W...

CC -

Pringles - You've posted outtakes of this on the main thread, and I liked them better.
Game-biz - If only you could have afforded a longer exposure, to empasize her movement, and narrowed a bit the composition, that would have been great.
Sneaky77 - There's nothing wrong with your picture, there's nothing strongly right either, IMHO.
Lumix - Good idea, and it sticks to the theme, but I'm not into it.
SalsaShark - I guess the composition doesn't appeal to me, but it's also a good idea. Maybe from another angle you'll get something with more dynamism.
Jasoneyu - It's a neat idea, but the composition and the light aren't really giving emphasis to your subject. It could do with a narrower frame I believe.
Represent - You have all my sympathy, as a fellow tilted photographer :(

1: Damaged - Nice tones. However I feel if you'd composed it only with the tracks it would have been even better.

2: Jasoneyu - I like the idea, it's less literal than expected.

Damaged

1. Lumix - love the multiple exposures and I think it fits the theme well

2. Sneaky77 - This would have got my first place if you had cropped it in a little to make it more of a focal point in the picture but its still a good shot and i like the subject matter

Was a tough choice to choose, lots of great entries for this challenge :)

1: Damaged - Nice tones. However I feel if you'd composed it only with the tracks it would have been even better.

Thanks, I did take some of just the tracks but it felt a little empty

2: Damaged - See, I have this thing for trains and good use of B&W...

Thanks :) *hatches evil plan to use B+W train shots in all future assignments*

pringles

Good assignment guys, very varied output I gotta say. Hard to make a decision since I think some captured the theme better, while others had better photos that didn't resonate as strongly with the theme.

Anyway, here goes:

1) Pixel Pete : Good fit for the theme, and it's just a very cool shot.

2) Damaged : really like the B&W tone, and I for one think the composition works great. Honestly it's not the strongest connection to the theme but I get where you're coming from atleast and I like the photo so much I wanted to vote for it.

Other comments:

Maiar_m : I like the composition, it's a good shot and I think the sky has that look like it's about to start raining any second which works well for your interpretation of the theme. Almost earned a vote from me. Wonder how the shot would have looked with a long-exposure?

Sneaky77 : Sorry, this one doesn't do much for me. Nice green tones and subject, but maybe a different composition or crop would have been more interesting.

Game-Biz : Pretty cool 'in-the-moment' shot. Really captures a nightlife mood. But I really, really wish you could have shot this half a second later or something, when the woman was more to the left in the frame, which would have made the composition more balanced.

Lumix : interesting idea, but it's just too random and jumbled for my tastes. Gotta say this was a very good take on the theme though!

SalsaShark : great tones, and I think it's cool how the water fountain goes across the three guys faces and towards the head of the fourth. Something feels off about the composition to me however, I think there's too little space in it, it's a bit too tightly cropped around the person in the pool for example..

Jasoneyu : I like the interpretation of the theme, but I think you could have shot this differently to make the subject stand out more and sell the "intersect" more.

Represent.: It's a good shot but..yeah, you know how I feel :p

Pringles - You've posted outtakes of this on the main thread, and I liked them better.
I kinda did too, but I felt this one was more appropriate for the theme.

1 - Pixel Pete: For me, the best fit with the theme,

2 - Damaged: I liked this one, Damaged. I would have probably put yours on top if I could have seen more of the wooden pathway that runs across the rails.

Lumix

1) Damaged - I love the detail and tonality, especially how the wooden panels highlight (or an illusion of) a path of color across the width of this photo.

2) Pixel Pete - This particular photo was the most tied to the theme. An excellent idea and good eye to use this natural subject for this assignment.
I sort of wished there were a few grey areas lit or dodged to convey a bit more depth, instead of being a little flat just black and white.

Good job to all the participants. It was nice to see such varied entries!

After tabulating the votes, we had a tie for 1st! Pixel Pete and Damage were tied for 1st with 10 points each. To break the tie, we turn to the entry with the most 1st Choice votes.

1ST PLACE, 10pts (3 1st Choice Votes) - Pixel Pete

2ND PLACE, 10 pts (2 1st Choice Votes) - Damaged

Congrats, Pixel Pete! We look forward to the next theme, chosen by YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom