• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.
DUBIOUS RUMOR 1: Nintendo + Epic Games = Wii U Metroid

Ideal Situation: Retro / Epic Collaboration

RETRO- Prime-based single player, art direction, general game direction.

EPIC- Hunters/UT3 based multiplayer, engine technology, online code and networking design

EDIT: Apparently this dubious french rumor site claims that the bird demo was an Epic/Retro collaboration.

Shion

Strategies aren't somekind of sacred stone to follow word for word, they change over time, Wii strategy had a flaw that Nintendo is likely adressing this time (quick deflect of 3rd party support made the console not so attractive over time), so the path can in apparence be similar to the one followed for Wii, but changes are a sure thing. In fact Nintendo adapting the console to 3rd party needs is a major change.
I never said that "strategies are some kind of sacred stone", all I said is that:

1: Nintendo follows a different strategy than in the NES-SNES-N64-GC days so, when a strategy / business model changes, the past is irrelevant.

2: Considering the fact that, following Nintendo's biggest failure in the home console market, their new strategy resulted in what is the most successful console in the company's history, logic dictates that they aren't going to make any major changes (if any) to their current strategy.

Could I be wrong? Sure.

Still, I believe that Wii U's place in the hardware race depends more on what Sony and Microsoft are willing to offer, than Nintendo's plans.

darthdago

Dear specialguy,

what exactly do you think?
The post you commented on stated something completely different to your quotes.

I once have seen a donkey which behaved exactly like you, always against the common sense...

If I go through 99.9% of your posts in that thread (I don't know if you behave like that in all the threads) I would say (and that's only my personal thought) "Uyisiphukhuphuku!"
Please, once in a while (mostly b4 posting here) start using your brain first and you can avoid a lot of trouble.

Thank you for listening
Best regards

Nibel

Iwata to drop some NiN bombs
And maybe he will give a hint about the Wii U - more than "you will see more at E3"

What then follows is a bunch of articles with analysts as sources who claim that Ninty is doomed

For anyone who thinks "Avatar like graphics for next gen"... Avatar and other 3D Movies are rendered on a Render Farm like this (Example image and does not represent THE actual farm it was rendered on):

They are not renderd on your avarage PC. Unless you want to render for years...

Also, do not forget that CGI movies have up to hundreds of dedicated animators, modellers and artists that works for a year or two on making those 2 ish hours of film as detailed and beautiful as possible. That is why there is a roof for how good a videogame can look, other than hardware limitations.

Hm, with regards to our earlier chat about tie ratios and software sales (don't have link, am in a meeting), the ratio for the Wii worldwide is currently 8.54.

My suspicion is that we can speculate (based on the assumptions that (a) casuals buy fewer games per console, and (b) Nintendo is courting a higher core:casual fanbase this time around) that this is a lower limit we can probably expect from the Wii U at the same point in its life (the ~5.25 year mark).

Conor 419

Banned
The tragic thing is that the Investors Conference probably isn't even happening.

Do we have any solid evidence that there'll even be one?

The tragic thing is that the Investors Conference probably isn't even happening.

Do we have any solid evidence that there'll even be one?

It's probably required by law. Company execs are "employees"of the shareholders, so they haveto answer to them. If they changed the investor meeting policies, it would probably be a big deal

joshwaan

http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/94808.html More crazy rumors I'll remove if this has been posted

"Now wii~u 6 cores 4 threads 6x4 = 24 threads 1 gig of system ram 1 gig of gpu memory. core clocked at 2.8 turbo boost @ 3.6 not all cores can run turbo at the same time only 2 core. Wii-u is 3x xbox 360. Gpu does not have raw grunt like 360/ps3 .. But there is 2x gpu sdk of wii- u getting around now. but it only ads 30% performance as the developers need more gpu for the wii u control. this new final lunch sdk.is said to have improved shaders which will boost it to around 6x xbox and ps3 and out put 2k... still 3 gig of ram max..."

Take with lots of salt lol :p

Kacho

http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/94808.html More crazy rumors I'll remove if this has been posted

"Now wii~u 6 cores 4 threads 6x4 = 24 threads 1 gig of system ram 1 gig of gpu memory. core clocked at 2.8 turbo boost @ 3.6 not all cores can run turbo at the same time only 2 core. Wii-u is 3x xbox 360. Gpu does not have raw grunt like 360/ps3 .. But there is 2x gpu sdk of wii- u getting around now. but it only ads 30% performance as the developers need more gpu for the wii u control. this new final lunch sdk.is said to have improved shaders which will boost it to around 6x xbox and ps3 and out put 2k... still 3 gig of ram max..."

No way in hell...haha

Akai

This new lunch SDK sounds tasty...

joshwaan

No way in hell...haha

Yeah lol I lost it when he said 1GB memory it's pretty much confirmed that Wii U has more then 1GB memory and 6 Core CPU ROFL this is Nintendo we are talking about hehe :p

Also Interesting what is said about the xbox next :p

Insider: Ssd yes.. bluray yes ... 2x apu with 8000 mod.. 2 gig for each apu 4gig total + 1gig of edram. 4k res output surported for future tvs.

Power pc based 64bit 8 core apu with ati hd8000 based gpu there is going to be 2 "of them. Each core has 4 threads. 16x4 = 64 threads ;) ROFL :p
Now kenect can use up to 4 cores or devs can use one core which is faster then xenos now.. the apus are clocked @ 3.6 each core has turbo boost @ 4.2. smart clock tech yeah.... lol allows cores to run at varible speeds. each apu has 2 gig of ram.. and 1 gig of edram per apu.

Completely random aside, but it just occurred to me that "Iwata dropping the bomb" is a slightly unnerving phrase in the context of Japan and WWII. It's like Iwata's Revenge - except, damn, that's a slightly unnerving reference to Custer's Revenge and all of its horrible implications. But I wouldn't doubt some people feel like they're tied to a cactus waiting for information on this system...

Anyway, with that little intertextuality concern over with, time to wait for something fun to happen. popcorn.gif.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Well, that article is pure сміття and I wouldn't hold it as something significant. Though the suggested specifications go well hand in hand with the recent brawl originating from Wii U inferiority stories of GamesIndustry.biz and the likes.

The Fiscal Year Financial Results Briefing is the hottest item right now. Nintendo unfortunately does not provide any exact time for the briefing, so I don't know how many more hours we have to wait. It's around midnight in Kyoto right now, so we are maybe looking at 11-18 hours or more.

I'll be disappointed if they are.

As long as you don't care whether Nintendo is competitive with Sony and MS in the core market, which is a legitimate opinion.

A new Zelda or Metroid from Retro will not sell Wii U to any significant number of consumers who wouldn't otherwise buy the system for established Nintendo IP. Alongside the diminished creative freedom that comes with a well-worn IP, that's my main problem with the idea.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Wait, you guys just dismissed that rumor? I thought everyone in here was just some Nintendo fan boy who supported every rumor of the wii U being powerful because it supports their agenda.

Here is a simple chart that I've been playing with. It comes from the Consolidated Sales Transition by Region files:

Sales_N_SW_Home_120426a.png

Sales_N_SW_Port_120426a.png

(nb, I'm pretty given to messing up simple arithmetic and copy-pasting numbers backwards, so the actual chart is probably a flat line or something; if so, my bad)

These are the total software sales for Nintendo from 1998 up until the end of last month, listed on a yearly basis. It shows a fairly typical pattern which is common for this particular industry (and in other growing industries): A series of repeated humps, peaking higher during each "generation" of product (this applies to the portable chart -- the home chart had Nintendo hitting a point of potential irrelevancy in its market during the "GameCube" era). High points happen a couple years into the generation, after the new products have fully ramped up production but before consumer interest has started to dwindle. The low points are during "transitions" between these generations, when most consumers who would be interested in purchasing the product have already purchased the product, and interest starts to shift in other directions. One additional common cause of these dips are customers holding back after hearing of upcoming, improved product lines.

Observations:

Heh, it looks like the "epic" E3 conferences happen just before a substantial increase in software sales. This is not necessarily a causal pattern (though there are causal links, notably an increased need for the company to show off better software!).

The transition for portable sales is pretty much at the same level as the previous transition, but it seems that it may bounce upward more quickly instead of languising in a depressed state, given third parties' more aggressive stance towards the 3DS. This is just speculation, though -- note that there was still a solid drop from the previous year even though nearly half of the fiscal year included the "Big Three" in Japan.

The transition for home sales is much healthier. Right now, the low point is over twice as high as the low point last year. It would have to decrease by quite a bit to be considered a drop off back to the pre-Wii era, and I believe that this puts Nintendo in a stronger position going forward. However, unlike the portable transition, we are most certainly going to have another low year in 2012/13, one which stands a good chance of being lower than this year's sales.

Feel free to play with the pretty picture in your head. :)

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Just to say that the new Rayman, supposedly following Rayman Origins and that may be called "Rayman Legends" (because it will use some fantasy settings with greek mythology, vampires, ghosts, castles, etc, as you can see on a few Kotaku images) is nearly sure to come to Wii U. It's apparently developped by Ubisoft Montpellier.

Now, let's speculate on the padlet use for a 2D platformer. Another angle of what the TV display (i've heard third-parties are found of this kind of DRC utilization) ?

teeny

Just to say that the new Rayman, supposedly following Rayman Origins and that may be called "Rayman Legends" (because it will use some fantasy settings with greek mythology, vampires, ghosts, castles, etc, as you can see on a few Kotaku images) is nearly sure to come to Wii U. It's apparently developped by Ubisoft Montpellier.

Now, let's speculate on the padlet use for a 2D platformer. Another angle of what the TV display (i've heard third-parties are found of this kind of DRC utilization) ?

It really is not surprising, given that Rayman Origins hit every platform under the sun, but it is nice to know. If true, it will be another third party game I will definitely get on Wii U.

Im really hoping I can do most of next generation with the Wii U, then pick up the other platforms when they and their games are cheap enough. Getting the Wii first this gen made it hard to 'keep up' with the bigger releases (and some not so big ones).

darthdago

Was this ever proven?

Out of the thread:

Metroid Prime probably did not run on Unreal Engine 2 #1
I was this being discussed in the Wii U megathread and my mind was blown so hard I figured this new news was worth a new thread.

http://www.assemblergames.com/forums...ad.php?t=31067

Quote:
Metroid Prime runs on a very heavily modified version of Unreal Engine 2. You can certify this to yourself by looking at the text box next to Asset_CMDL_EditorModel. Notice the word "/cooked/" in there.

For those of you who have worked with the Unreal Engine, you'll know what this is, else, you might wanna read. Cooking is a term for compiling all of the maps, scripts, materials, etc. you've made into one usable executable, or "game". It was used primarily for consoles, although now support has come out for PC cooking, resulting in faster loading times.

They also used Unreal's level streaming feature. This is highly detailed in Unreal Engine 3, but was also present in 2. It's funny how Retro got a private license for this stuff yet never sought to bring it out.

I also can confirm some UnrealScript source files exist on disk, which I am attempting to extract. Will probably branch this off into a separate thread for loads of fun and wackiness.
Thanks to wsippel for pointing this out.

EDIT: Beaten....

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
So then no it wasn't, because that thread is highly skeptical and inconclusive. Hell read the title.
I did read the title, I did read the content of the thread. Probably should have used that statement as a quote.

Now, let's speculate on the padlet use for a 2D platformer.

I can't speak to 2D platformers, but one of the massive problems with first-person 3D platformers is not knowing where your damned legs are (think: "Trespasser" from the nineties and the "Metroid Prime" series from the naughties). Hell, even third-person 3D platformers (Mario, de Blob) could be improved if the DRC screen had a locked top-view to complement the view on the TV screen so you know better where things are in relation to your feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom