• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Incest between consenting adults...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emwitus

Doesn't matter if they are less likely, they are still at a much higher risk than the norm. So by what you're saying, if two non-related people have the same known heritable disease, they should be prohibited from having sex, correct?

Pretty sure this is about legality, not encouragement.

So, how would you cab the spread of that gene? By restricting relationships between random individuals or by restricting between family? That's where legality comes in. Their are multiple reasons why it would be favorable to a government to reduce chronic heritable diseases.

Right, but then you have the argument of whether homosexuality should be treated any differently if it actually was a "choice."

The problem with incest, as mentioned in the OP, is that there really isn't any good argument against it while at the same time banning it doesn't really inconvenience many people.

1) If it were a choice, there would be a difference in how we see sexuality, period.
2) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westermarck_effect

Apply his logic to a group of people with a disorder who commonly procreate with one another - dwarves. The parents have dwarfism and will probably pass it on to their children. Dwarfism can come with a whole host of other problems that may or may not place limits on the child's life and development. I believe they should be allowed to try for children, regardless. Don't you?

How does dwarfism effect them? Deafness? With incest it's not that clear cut. With incest you get hemophilia, heart conditions, cancer, and other major disabilities. Do you think that's fair to the offspring and society at large?

Emwitus

You didn't answer the question. Should dwarfs be banned from having sex with each other?

Why should they be banned? As long as they are not related they should be able to take the chance........they could have a tall child too. But limit it within the same family and that probablility shoots up.

So, how would you cab the spread of that gene? By restricting relationships between random individuals or by restricting between family? That's where legality comes in. Their multiple reasons why it would be favorable to a government to reduce chronic heritable diseases.

Do you really think legality is what's keeping people from incest or something? That's what it seems like. Do you know of anybody that would probably bang their sister if it were legal?

Socreges

Banned
Westermarck effect

Read it, learn it, love it.

I'm of the mind that incest is inherently wrong. Our biology even tries to prevent it from happening.

And treating the prevalence of genetic defects from incest being comparatively common with 40-year-old women.... those women suffer that risk regardless of who they have sex with, whereas someone having sex with a sibling/parent can simply choose to have sex with someone else in order to avoid the risk. It is not the same.

ElectricBlue187 said:
Incest is considered by anthropologists to be the world's only universal taboo. Nearly every civilization all over the globe forbids it, and for a good reason. That said if they have no intention of having children I see no reason to make it a legal problem. Disgusting, yes, immoral certainly but not something to prosecute.
This is how I see it.

I really do feel like people are driven by their enjoyment of incest to make arguments for it, as much as they want to put up the front that they're just trying to be fair. Reminds me of NAMBLA.

Incest is disgusting and taboo for a reason. Shut up.

It is taboo because before birth control technology began to improve exponentially in the 1950s with the invention of the pill, pregnancy for hetero couples engaging in sexual behavior was an unavoidable reality.

We live in an age where two consenting adults exhibiting basic responsibility can easily take measures which reduce pregnancy to a .01% chance, and even then we have morning after pill and in the worst case, abortion.

This is one of those societal taboos that still resonates deeply in us even though the founding logic has somewhat fallen through.

Why should they be banned? As long as they are not related they should be able to take the chance........they could have a tall child too. But limit it within the same family and that probablility shoots up.

You clearly don't understand genetics. If two people with heritable recessive diseases bear a child, there is a 100% chance that the child will inherit that disease, much higher than incest. I'm not sure if dwarfism is one of them, but deafness may be. Even if dwarfism isn't one, I'm sure two dwarfs bearing a child has a much higher risk than incest.

PlayDat

Why do you find this disturbing? They were both major societal taboos that people would look down and judge you upon, hell homosexuality used to be illegal by law not that long ago. One is more accepted in society today, the other not so much.

I don't exactly have any statistics on me, but it'd seem that abuse would be much more common with incest than among gays. I know this thread is only about consenting relationships, but the abuse/coercion involved is my biggest problem with incest.

Emwitus

You clearly don't understand genetics. If two people with heritable recessive diseases bear a child, there is a 100% chance that the child will inherit that disease, much higher than incest. I'm not sure if dwarfism is one of them, but deafness may be.

No, it's not always a 100%. You are the one that doesn't understand genetics. Only if all have reccessive recessive and no dominate allele for the normal trait. My point is the chances of keeping a trait within the same generation are increased exponentially if incest is allowed. So why would you make it legal?

How does dwarfism effect them? Deafness? With incest it's not that clear cut. With incest you get hemophilia, heart conditions, cancer, and other major disabilities. Do you think that's fair to the offspring and society at large?

Joint pain, crippling bone deformities, restricted lung growth and pulminary function, etc, etc. Certain forms of dwarfism also limit cranial development and brain function. It's not that simple. Should they be allowed to procreate despite that? I believe they should, honestly. The same applies to incest.

Speevy

Banned
It's disgusting.

I'd rather not even know that people support it on a hypothetical level.

If you're arguing in favor of it in this thread, call your parents/friends and tell them. See how that works out. Just say "I don't see anything wrong with incest between two consenting adults."

Lots of dwarfism types also affect heart and circulatory system, bones, hormonal problems etc.
Sorry, what's the point then? A clear sentence is better than an unknown one?
And what are you going to do? You said, if i'm not wrong, that they can fuck but not conceive a child. What are you going to do, fine them? Abort the child? Sterilise them?

So would you rather ban; among family or among random people? Which one has a higher probability than the other?

I wouldn't ban either, it has already happened with random disabilities and it was horrible and inhumane. It's not our choice i think.

No, it's not always a 100%. You are the one that doesn't understand genetics. Only if all have reccessive recessive and no dominate allele for the normal trait.

That's why I said two people with the same recessive disease. Try again. And I read up on dwarfism, it is primarily a dominant disease. Meaning two dwarfs bearing a child will have at least a 75% chance of having a dwarf child.

IceCold

Keeping it illegal minimizes inbreeding and that's a good thing. It also helps prevent abusive relationships.

But I don't even see why this is an issue. It's not like many people are into incest. There's no pressure from the masses to legalize it, which means most people are against incest. I would be interested to see how many incestual marriages occur in countries that legalize it.

Imo if you have a desire to bang your sister, brother, or close family member (who's not estranged) than odds are you have some type of psychological disorder. Our brains are programmed against such urges and that explains why incest is seen as taboo in most cultures. Besides, there are so many humans on Earth, why even attempt to start a relationship with your family member when there's so many other people out there?

Joint pain, crippling bone deformities, restricted lung growth and pulminary function, etc, etc. Certain forms of dwarfism also limit cranial development and brain function. It's not that simple. Should they be allowed to procreate despite that? I believe they should, honestly. The same applies to incest.

I don't think that's fair to their kids either then. At some point it's not about being different but quality of life. We've entered into a gray area in which there is no right answer.

Lots of dwarfism types also affect heart and circulatory system, bones, hormonal problems etc.
Sorry, what's the point then? A clear sentence is better than an unknown one?
And what are you going to do? You said, if i'm not wrong, that they can fuck but not conceive a child. What are you going to do, fine them? Abort the child? Sterilise them?

See above.

It's disgusting.

If you're arguing in favor of it in this thread, call your parents/friends and tell them. See how that works out. Just say "I don't see anything wrong with incest between two consenting adults."

This line of closed minded thinking has got to go!

Not just on this topic but any topic.

Holy crap. Stop making the interracial relationship comparison.

Once upon a time, it was seen as perverse for a white to marry a black. It was illegal to marry. Their children were viewed as less than the sum of their parts. Some to this day argue that interracial couples shouldn't procreate because "children should look like their parents". It's a totally valid comparison because, at one point in time, interracial coupling was every bit as taboo (if not more so) than incest.

ATF487

Hmm. I find it disgusting, not only due to the biological problems if the girl gets pregnant, but also because how it's a total disregard for how a family structure should work.

Anyway, I don't know if I'd have punitive laws against it, because how could you really enforce them? Having a child born with problems would be terrible but you can't really tell willing people that they can't have sex.

Bellamin

It's disgusting.

That's an interesting statement. How many people here would share their views with their family and friends?

Emwitus

That's why I said two people with the same recessive
disease. Try again.

So what is the probability of that happening? Why are you only dealing with extremes? My point is why increase the risk and make it a 100% likely a trait is passed on to a young one? We should not discourage relationships between two unrelated dwarfs.....BUT, we should discourage two dwarfs who are related. DO YOU SAY NO TO THAT?

I don't think that's fair to their kids either then. At some point it's not about being different but quality of life. We've entered into a gray area in which there is no right answer.

See above.

There is certainly a personal answer, but i think this is one of these cases where it shouldn't be the law to decide.

GJS

The fact that we have removed a lot of the forces of natural selection from Humans is a problem here.

Inbreeding in nature which results in deformities leads to reduced fitness and thus less chance of that particular offspring passing on the genes, but we as Humans on the other hand have the compassion and technology to save, help and raise many who would have died.

The fact that incest is illegal does not stop it from happening and children of incestual relationships (consensual or not) will continue to be born.

If the mechanisms and predispositions behind the incestual behaviours such as overcoming the westermarck effect or abusing your children are genetic, then our nature to help each other could be allowing for this to propagate and increase with each passing generation.

1) Our view of sexuality is constantly changing, period.

2) Hypothetical effect, doesn't apply to all incestuous relationships (as proven the by the one study it mentioned)

1) In the hypothetical situation wherein it where a choice, all sexuality would be treated differently.

2) Your argument is that it's hypothetical?

Did you at least look at why it was assumed to exist? To prevent inbreeding. Do we have any similar biological block on homosexuality? No, no we don't. By that mark alone we shouldn't be comparing the two.

That's an interesting statement. How many people here would share their views with their family and friends?

It'd be weird to just say it out of the blue, but if anybody actually asked I would tell them that I have no problem with consensual adults engaging in any kind of sexual behavior so long as it doesn't directly harm another living thing.

If the mechanisms and predispositions behind the incestual behaviours such as overcoming the westermarck effect or abusing your children are genetic, then our nature to help each other could be allowing for this to propagate and increase with each passing generation.

As Nietzsche would say, down with pity!

SuperBonk

The "shock and awe" posts in these threads are so useless. Pretty much everyone (here) agrees that incest is disgusting. The question is why, and it's hard to answer.

Speevy

Banned
It'd be weird to just say it out of the blue, but if anybody actually asked I would tell them that I have no problem with consensual adults engaging in any kind of sexual behavior so long as it doesn't directly harm another living thing.

And they would say "So you have no problem with a brother and sister having sex..." and you'd say "Yeah..." and they'd back slowly out of the room.

So what is the probability of that happening? Why are you only dealing with extremes? My point is why increase the risk and make it a 100% likely a trait is passed on to a young one? We should not discourage children among let's say two dwarf.....BUT, we should discourage two dwarfs who are related. Do you say no to that?

Extremes? I'm dealing with real life examples. Two dwarfs: at least a 75% chance of having a dwarf child. Should a dwarf have a homozygous dominant genotype, then there is a 100% chance of a dwarf child, regardless who their partner is (dwarf or no dwarf). These aren't extremes, they are real world examples. And it seems like you are not consistent with your cut-offs.

Hamplin

Banned
I'd be fine with it as long as they don't reproduce.
The offspring might not nescessarily be genetically deformed, but it would surely appear to have been swimming in the shallow end of the gene pool?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
http://i.imgur.com/jcSQj.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Love this gif so much.

[quote="DeathbyVolcano, post: 37512047"]This is amazing. It'd be even better if the background was the same color as Gaf's color, like that Coming to America gif[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Oy3FE.gif

Yeah, I wouldn't call up my parents saying "You know what? I think it's totally fine to double penetrate!" Pretty sure their opinion would also be "well... that's weird, but if there's no harm to anyone and it's not something abusive... then whatever". But not sure what our parents think should have to do with anything, if we just kept the same moral code as them they would still be as racist as my dead grandma.

Furthermore, the people using the "soulmate" argument also propagates the ridiculous notion that the only person out there for a person is their family member, or that there's only one person at all. That's ridiculous.

The "shock and awe" posts in these threads are so useless. Pretty much everyone (here) agrees that incest is disgusting. The question is why, and it's hard to answer.

Perhaps because of the likelihood of genetic problems as a result of inbreeding? The social attitudes evolved from there, I presume.

Then there's the fact that spreading out among other members of the human race is better for gathering more advantageous traits in children, etc.

And they would say "So you have no problem with a brother and sister having sex..." and you'd say "Yeah..." and they'd back slowly out of the room.

As long as they are:

A)Consenting Adults
B)Using contraceptives responsibly

I have no problem.

LordCanti

Love this gif so much.

Oy3FE.gif

Thank you for changing the background color.

SuperBonk

1) In the hypothetical situation wherein it where a choice, all sexuality would be treated differently.

2) Your argument is that it's hypothetical?

Did you at least look at why it was assumed to exist? To prevent inbreeding. Do we have any similar biological block on homosexuality? No, no we don't. By that mark alone we shouldn't be comparing the two.

1) You're right.

2) Yes, I'm arguing it's hypothetical because I'd rather see a physiological explanation than a psychological one. However, the results of the study are very interesting and I'm glad you and some others posted the link in this thread.

Technically, the "biological block" on homosexuality is homosexuality itself.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I've shared my views with my fiance, who agrees. Our consensus is that if we were brother and sister, we'd fuck anyway. Sounds about right.
Dumb situation, since your fiance would unlikely be the person she is now if she was your sister to begin with.:p

Fair enough. I just know that if I had some fucked up problems that I could pass onto my offspring I'd just adopt.

It's important to mention that incestuous relationships resulting in children is not illegal in the USA in the first place. Their marriage is, with the procreation argument used to support that stance.

Bellamin

Once upon a time, it was seen as perverse for a white to marry a black. It was illegal to marry. Their children were viewed as less than the sum of their parts. Some to this day argue that interracial couples shouldn't procreate because "children should look like their parents". It's a totally valid comparison because, at one point in time, interracial coupling was every bit as taboo (if not more so) than incest.

Your argument is too general. Interracial children were looked down upon because they represented a shift in the societal power structure. Not only that, colonial America had quite a bit of pairings between Europeans, Native Americans, and African Americans in the 17th century. Interracial marriage was actually a proposed way to integrate Native Americans into western society.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom