• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ancient Roman figures brought to life via AI

Hudo

That Cleopatra one will trigger some people.
Cleopatra-Romance.jpg

This also triggered the same people because of the boobs. Best cause of action is always to ignore Twitter and Reddit.

Vick

Also the fact nearly everyone is “would” to cleopatra speaks volumes to how beautiful she must have been.
I'm sure she was, especially when compared to women from the time. Not a fan of either that statue nor AI version though, personally.

Elagbalus looks like the kind of guy who would have sold you a bag of oregano at school, claiming it was weed.
Stick Around Bob Ross GIF by Originals

Last edited:

violence

Commodus fought in the arena himself as a gladiator over 700 times (though this was mostly for show and not to the death) and thought of himself as the reincarnation of Hercules. He was known to be physically very fit and strong.
Yeah, you probably don’t go shirtless for your marble statue unless you’re confident about your health and physique. They likely took artistic liberties for his character in gladiator.

Last edited:

Vick

Yeah, you probably don’t go shirtless for your marble statue unless you’re confident about your physique. They likely took artistic liberties for his character in gladiator.
The entire movie took alot of artistic liberties.

But it wonderfully captured some of the glory of Rome, and it's a masterpiece of a movie imo, so it's forgiven.

Trunx81

Imagine in a few years, we will have historical dramas where the actors look exactly like their historical counterpart. Technology can be scary, but that will be a thing.

violence

Imagine in a few years, we will have historical dramas where the actors look exactly like their historical counterpart. Technology can be scary, but that will be a thing.
It may even be included in the TV to get around legal issues with putting Crispin Glover in Back to the future 2.

Dural

Image source

1j0Wasf.png

Marcus Aurelius (121–180 AD)​

Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus, known as Marcus Aurelius, was Roman Emperor from 161 to 180 AD. He is remembered as the last of the "Five Good Emperors" and a significant Stoic philosopher. His reign was marked by military conflict but also by his philosophical temperament and commitment to duty.

Born into a patrician family, Marcus Aurelius was adopted by Emperor Antoninus Pius, his uncle, at the behest of Emperor Hadrian. This adoption placed him in the line of succession, and he ascended to the throne in 161 AD, initially co-ruling with his adoptive brother Lucius Verus until Verus' death in 169 AD.

Marcus Aurelius' reign was dominated by military campaigns, particularly against the Parthian Empire and along the Danubian frontier against several Germanic tribes. These conflicts, often defensive, were critical in protecting the boundaries of the Roman Empire.

Apart from his military engagements, Marcus Aurelius is best known for his intellectual pursuits, particularly his devotion to Stoic philosophy. His work, "Meditations," written while on campaign, is a significant source of modern understanding of ancient Stoic philosophy. This collection of personal writings reflects his insights on duty, resilience, and the nature of human life, offering guidance on how to live in a turbulent world.

His reign is often considered the end of the Pax Romana, a long period of relative peace and stability within the Roman Empire. The increasing pressure from external enemies during his rule marked a turning point towards the eventual decline of the empire.

Marcus Aurelius died in 180 AD, leaving the empire to his son Commodus, whose reign contrasted sharply with his father's and marked the beginning of the empire's gradual decline. Despite this, Marcus Aurelius remains a revered figure in history, celebrated for his philosophical mind and just rule.

Is it just me or does Jack Harlow look a lot like Marcus Aurelius?

hEgcgP0.jpg

Elagbalus looks like the kind of guy who would have sold you a bag of oregano at school, claiming it was weed.

Elagbalus looks like the guy you take one look at and decide to avoid at all costs.

Personally I don't have issue with this, especially when it comes to historical drama though I may want to limit it to that. Comedies and such can do what they want.

Though of everyone pictured so far it's Julius Caesar that has the aura of "be on your best behavior or else". You did not want to mess with him.

jason10mm

Gold Member
This is fun, but its just colorizing the exquisite busts we've had for thousands of years.

And its important for folks to know these were often made WHILE THE SUBJECT WAS ALIVE, and that the Romans valued physical imperfection/differences; thus these are very likely to be quite representative of the subject, not some retconned "make them all look like how Italians look now in the 1600's" type thing a lot of art is saddled with. Once you look at a lot of these, it becomes very hard to support the sort of faux-history being pushed by the quacks. This isn't an entire civilization being manufactured out of hopes, dreams, and speculation based around a single line in some ancient text (Atlantis, I'm looking at you), this is tangible evidence that is overwhelming.

Toots

Gold Member
Wouldn't drawing the likeness of these historical figures from statues be like drawing instagram models likeness from their instagram pictures?..

edit : do not trust the man commenting above me, my uneducated guess is worth thousands of his historically correct arguments

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Is it just me or does Jack Harlow look a lot like Marcus Aurelius?

hEgcgP0.jpg
No marcus Aurelius looks a bit like Paul Dano as well wtf just make a movie and have Paul dano play a lot of the roles.

But César looks like a scary cunt.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
VhYOVYf.jpg

I like to think this is one of the most accurate busts of Caesar.
It was found at the bottom of a river near Arles, France, in very recent times.

It’s got so much of that “Caesar vibe” that the leader of the archaeological team that found it is said to have bursted out the most sincere “Putain, mais c’est César!” upon seeing it.

Apparently it was also probably sculpted when the man was still alive and quite fresh out of conquering Gallia omnis.

GymWolf

VhYOVYf.jpg

I like to think this is one of the most accurate busts of Caesar.
It was found at the bottom of a river near Arles, France, in very recent times.

It’s got so much of that “Caesar vibe” that the leader of the archaeological team that found it is said to have bursted out the most sincere “Putain, mais c’est César!” upon seeing it.

Apparently it was also probably sculpted when the man was still alive and quite fresh out of conquering Gallia omnis.
What the hell are those sharpei fat rolls on his neck?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Caligula most def looks the part of all his deeds.

Nero would most def add a school or two under his belt if her were born in current year.

Augustus looks like he's the smartest man in the room. Dripping in that cockiness. Like he led a fraternity that got a little carried away :pie_roffles:

Last edited:

CGNoire

Yeah they all look familiar, most of them in a "here's a compilation of the ugliest people you've encountered in your life" kind of way.

Nice to see AI keep being the ultimate unintentional troll/trigger with that Cleopatra by the way.

And EviLore EviLore linking a Boldi and De Sica movie trailer while we discuss Anna Falchi's silicone boobs is the cherry on top of this lovely and surreal Thread. :messenger_heart:
Is that the hotty at 51mins?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I was just over at the Getty Villa and they had a golden bust of Marcus Aurelius that looked quite a bit different from his standard one:

HunVRpN.jpg

Holy shit. That's the Avenches bust. Is that the real one? If so, I'm extremely jealous that you had the pleasure of seeing this in real life. That's one of the rarest historical artifacts ever found.

It does look different, but I guess making a bust from gold is a lot harder than marble. Either way, it's absolutely stunning.

FeralEcho

Cleo is ugly af but she has those f**k me hard eyes so I get the "would's" on this thread.

Most of them are ugly af though...

Top Bottom