• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese developers' reaction to the PS3: meh

Jokeropia

jett said:
That'd be nice if it weren't for the fact that 99% of third party games on post-SNES Nintendo consoles dance to the rhythm of la bomba.
This is a huge exaggeration and you know it. Sega, LucasArts, Namco, Capcom, Square, Activision and EA all have million sellers on the GC, and if you count the GBA and DS as well you can add THQ, Konami, Vivendi, Atari and Bandai to the list as well.

And it's not like a game has to be a million seller to avoid being a bomb to begin with.
kpop100 said:
The day DS is the lead platform for developers is the day I stop gaming.
Lol drama. :lol

jarrod

Banned
jett said:
It's just as bad on Nintendo handhelds. :p
I dunno, GBA has way more 3rd party million sellers than say, Xbox. Maybe you should ask THQ, Atari, Konami, Vivendi, Capcom, Square Enix, SEGA or Namco Bandai about the horrible state of 3rd party sales on Nintendo handhelds?

jarrod said:
We're talking about where Japan needs to head. Right now, DS looks like the best bet for their investments, by a gigantic margin.

Is this just about installed base and production costs? Because I see developers having to limit their creativity, something the best developers will not be willing to do. See Kojima and Ikagaki. I'm in no way saying the DS is a bad platform, but just limited.

DenogginizerOS said:
This to me is where the PS3 is still the strongest overall. And as I have stated, software is what matters most. As a matter of fact, Kojima recently stated that he thought the PS3 will be the system to have come 2007 and 2008 because of the strong lineup (his game included:) )

oh rly.. the other day I heard kojima pimping the xbox 360 is going to be the console to own in 2007.

lmao seriously why would he say anything else other wise? of course he is gonna say that his game is ps3 exclusive.

jarrod

Banned
Property of Jumpship said:
Is this just about installed base and production costs? Because I see developers having to limit their creativity, something the best developers will not be willing to do. See Kojima and Ikagaki. I'm in no way saying the DS is a bad platform, but just limited.
Interesting enough, Kojima and Itagaki are both making DS games. :)

jarrod said:
We're talking about where Japan needs to head. Right now, DS looks like the best bet for their investments, by a gigantic margin.
3rds are doomed if they have to rely on actual DS 3rd party sales.

I'd say PS2 is still the best bet right now.

I'm usually not the type for doom and gloom, but has anyone taken into consideration that the PS3 is coming into a Japanese console development community that has weakened considerably since the PS2's debut? PS3 development is supposed to cost more and require more effort, but from developers that buckled under mostly PS2 development? I don't know what to think here. If we were looking at the same Japan that was around at the tail-end of PS1, I wouldn't have any doubts about the PS3's software offering.

jarrod said:
Boktai's his baby I thought? Moreso than ZOE or AC!D anyway?

He's never made any of the Boktai games. Nakamura is the guy behind Boktai (and Lunar Knights). And neither ZOE or AC!D were his games (or even ideas).

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
He's never made any of the Boktai games. Nakamura is the guy behind Boktai (and Lunar Knights). And neither ZOE or AC!D were his games (or even ideas).
I always thought they were based off his gameplay concept though? He seemed to take a pretty personal role in promoting it originally at least, moreso than what I remember of ZOE or AC!D.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict imminent doom for this thread.

I mean it's not like this has ever happened before in a PS3 doom 'n' gloom thread.

DenogginizerOS said:
So, if developers are "meh on PS3", not doing anything for X360, where do they expect to make money?
20060701ouendanexec.png

jett said:
That'd be nice if it weren't for the fact that 99% of third party games on post-SNES Nintendo consoles dance to the rhythm of la bomba.
I'd say that's more about most third-parties putting second-tier efforts on a console with a fraction of the userbase rather than something inherent in the names Sony and Nintendo (or Microsoft).

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
I think we'll probably see the Japanese market shrink further. PS3 will be the system people want but they won't be able to get. Wii won't be able to step into the void because it's technically limited. I don't think the DS' success is going to translate to a console anymore than the GBA's success translated for Gamecube. X360 is already dead in Japan.

jarrod

Banned
Fatghost28 said:
I think we'll probably see the Japanese market shrink further.
Only for Sony (and maybe MS)...

PS2 > PS3
Xbox > 360

DS >> GBA
Wii >>> GC

...I still think PS3 has the best chance at being the market leading JP console, but there's no question it's not going to move what PS2 did. At the same time, it seems almost as unquestionable that Nintendo's on track to outdo both their last gen machines.

Property of Jumpship said:
I didnt know that. That is interesting considering Itagaki's comments about only using the most powerful system.
That sort of PR only sprang up to justify his Xbox allegiance. Otherwise why'd he favor Saturn over PlayStation or 360 over PS3?

jon61586 said:
Also what's the deal with Bioshock I haven' t heard anything about a PS3 version other than PSM but nowhere else. Can someone fill me in.

I've been wondering the same as well, anyone got info?

TigersFan

Mandoric said:
Halo 2 didn't even beat FF10 worldwide, dooder. And the idea that the movie's producing studio raking in moderate dough would have any effect on actual gaming is laughable.

Edit: And on-topic and less late, it's plainly obvious that PS3 isn't what the Japanese developer base necessarily wants, but is what they're gonna have to work with; Wii doesn't have the horsepower to take Sony's market even though it's likely to carve out a huge one of its own, and X360 isn't even living up to XBox. Nintendo will definitely gain, but it's a bit of a two-pillar situation at best for them.
There's a Japanese market for the PS3? From every sales list I see over there, gamers are more excited about DS games than PSP ones. I really don't think the "OMG I NEEDZ THE MOST PWRFUL MACHINE EVAR TO HAVE FUN" market exists there anymore. Its more of a western thing IMO.

rastex

Banned
Here's the thing, if the PS3 doesn't do extremely well in Japan, then Japanese centric developers and studios are going to have a VERY tough time. They're going to have to hope that people are willing to buy 3rd party games on a Nintendo platform in higher numbers than before, or they're going to have to embrace the Western market a lot more than they have up to this point. Capcom has already done this and been rewarded handsomely for it, the question becomes will Square-Enix, Konami, and Namco follow suit, and will they be able to?

To be honest, things are looking pretty grim for the traditional japanese developers.

Ponn

Banned
TigersFan said:
There's a Japanese market for the PS3? From every sales list I see over there, gamers are more excited about DS games than PSP ones. I really don't think the "OMG I NEEDZ THE MOST PWRFUL MACHINE EVAR TO HAVE FUN" market exists there anymore. Its more of a western thing IMO.

Thats an AWESOME comparison. Seriously. Awesome. To the max.

P90

jarrod said:
Get ready to find a new hobby... unless you like bald space marines by chance? :)

Hey! I want a bald space marine in SSB:B!

The bulk of interesting RPGs and action games (IMO interesting) seem to be coming out for DS. Develpers are on the DS bandwagon. (And the PS2 is looking great as well).

If I was a developer/producer I would probably focus my attention on the DS and PS2 for the next year. Then see what develops sales-wise for the three home consoles and concentrate on the platform with strong market presence and has the demographic to potentially sell my product.

Doesn't vibes like this tell Sony something if Japanese developers and consumers are rapidly losing confidence in the PS3. I mean even X360 was ahead of the PS3 one time on a poll for a short time and if that doesn't scare you, nothing will. They better make some changes or they could find themselves in dead last. Now I am dreading the price of the accessories and the games.

Wulfer

"Changes we don't need no stinking changes we're Sony remember, we're always right." Yep, with that additude they'll hit that 100 million sold mark with the PS3. I'm sure of it. (Sarcasm off) Question is how many of those games will end up like Assassins Creed multiplatformed?

Dante

"Changes we don't need no stinking changes we're Sony remember, we're always right." Yep, with that additude they'll hit that 100 million sold mark with the PS3. I'm sure of it. (Sarcasm off) Question is how many of those games will end up like Assassins Creed multiplatformed?

Can you point to a link that said Assasins Creed was ever anything but a timed exclusive?

Terrell

SolidSnakex said:
Kojima was the producer on all Boktai games, Nakamura was the director. So Kojima was still extremely involved in the whole creative process from beginning to end.

Terrell said:
Kojima was the producer on all Boktai games, Nakamura was the director. So Kojima was still extremely involved in the whole creative process from beginning to end.

I'm not saying he wasn't involved, but it wasn't his game it's Nakamura's game. He also produced ZOE2, but Murata gets the credit for that and rightfully so.

Wulfer

Can you point to a link that said Assasins Creed was ever anything but a timed exclusive?

Can you point to a link that shows Assasins Creed is a Multiplatform title?

Just like chow time in the military there isn't a book that tells you there is a mess hall is but, for some reason soldiers still know where to go eat. Shocking isn't it...

WULFER said:
Can you point to a link that shows Assasins Creed is a Multiplatform title?

It's UBI Soft you shouldn't need a link. The new Splinter Cell hasn't been announced for the PS3 yet also. But do you think there's really any chance that it won't be on the system?

Wulfer

Really, that's not what SDF woud have us beleive 2-3 months ago. It's amazing how things change. Now lets stop this before you humiliate yourself futher.

Amir0x

Banned
WULFER said:
Really, that's not what SDF woud have us beleive 2-3 months ago. It's amazing how things change. Now lets stop this before you humiliate yourself futher.

uh what... did you miss the leaked Ubisoft release list which had Assassin's Creed for every single system under the sun?

because yeah that's why only idiots believed it was exclusive. There was no mass SDF defense of that; it has ALWAYS been the truth.

* Assassin (PS3, Xbox 360, Rev, PC, PSP) - March 2007

WULFER said:

It's time exclusive possibly, but that still means it'll eventually be multiplatform. That's how its always been.

Wulfer

Hey I didn't want to have to post links but he kept pushing. I was just defending myself and my honor. Sometimes that's hard to do around here.

jarrod said:
The only "real" Ubi exclusive next gen is Naruto 360. Everything else is fair game.

Is there some kind of rule that they can't publish it on the PS3 or something? If not I don't see why it wouldn't be. Red Steel seems to be the only definite complete exclusive otherwise.

Top Bottom