• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Maybe I'm missing something, but this isn't all that fun. It's too dark at night to do anything when first starting and getting shot on sight by other players for absolutely no reason seems more like deathmatch than zombie survival.

It's the atmosphere, constant fear of death, paranoia of other players and the occasional hero that saves your ass that makes this game so great. I guess it's not for everybody, but give it a chance. All lives play out differently.

Also, stick to the tree lines don't run around in the open too much.

Keep getting a 'connecting failed' error whenever I try to join a server.

Edit: I think it might've been a firewall issue actually, trying again now.

Mafro

Played this for around 7 hours today. Best session was when I found some other cool stranger and teamed with him. We raided this little apartment building and somehow a group of around 7 zombies somehow noticed and attacked us. The stranger ended up getting knocked down and attacked by them, but I managed to fend them all off before he died and gave him some painkillers to save him. Sad scenes later on when we were creeping around one of the main big towns and a bandit (normal players become "bandits" after killing a certain amount of people and their appearance changes) creeped up on us and killed him. Managed to avenge his death by one-shotting him with my Lee Enfield rifle, which is apparently the loudest weapon in the game but luckily didn't attract any attention from the other zombies as they had already been killed. Looted him for his Winchester shotgun plus 30-odd shells just before I saw another bandit through the window creeping, stalked him with nothing other than the red glow from a flare to light the street and shot him in the back. Had to quit out after that because things were getting too tense.

This has so much potential.

I had ARMA II already, so I just bought operation arrowhead (non-steam version)

I had to copy + paste the data files from

...\ARMA II - PC\AddOns

to

...\ARMA II Operation Arrowhead - PC\Expansion\Addons

to get the game working. I still get a single error message but the game seems to play fine. If you don't have ARMA 2 to begin with, just get combined ops.

Oh god I just started doing this and now it's copying 8gb worth of files, I don't even know what I'm doing.
I don't even know if I was meant to copy all of the files lol but I'm so tired and just trying anything to get this to work.

Played for around 3 hours tonight.

First life I figured out that I'd spawned between Chern and Elektro and ended up wandering to Elektro. After a while of dodging random people because apparently the local voice chat wasn't working, I came across a guy getting attacked by a whole host of zombies. I saved him, bandaged him and he bolted as soon as he was able. I step out into the road to see where he headed and end up getting shotgunned by 3 folks stood there, firing squad style.

Next time around a friend's joined the server and we spend around 30 minutes figuring out where we've spawned and we should meet. We decide on the road outside of Pusta (by the way, I'm using this map). I get there first and hang out in some trees just off the road. My friend lets me know that he's close, and asks me to flare near my position. I toss one across the road and we finally see each other. He's hanging around in the middle of the road and I start to make my way towards him. Just as I stand a shot rings out and he drops like a stone. I hit prone immediately as more shots come in. I backtrack slightly into the tree but then decide that my buddies body is probably in enough cover for me to bandage him. I get there, start bandaging when I notice a lone bandit coming over from the low ground (he can't see me from his angle, but he would shortly).

As he comes over the verge I stand up, spraying my G17 all over the shop and thankfully catching him enough times that he dies. Turns out, it was just him, and sadly I was too slow to save my friend. On the bright side, I've now got a 1911, a hunting rifle and a larger backpack.

I am going to put alot of hours into this game.

Edit: The 8GB transfer is normal. However, if your Arma 2 is not patched to 1.11 they won't work. I had already transferred by then so I patched my Arma 2 and then re-did the transfer. Being the lazy guy I am I ended up just replacing all the files in there, which included the file for OA's UI. My UI is now a bugged version of Arma 2's, but it works, at least.

Goddammit, are the requirements for this super high or something? I've got a shitty quad core, with a gts 250. Will I be able to run this? The game sounds fucking amazing from everything I've read.

qazqaNii

why do I respawn as a bandit after I have been killed dammit, I accidently shot someone who ran like a zombie and I became a bandit after that life has been harsh.

Oh god I just started doing this and now it's copying 8gb worth of files, I don't even know what I'm doing.
I don't even know if I was meant to copy all of the files lol but I'm so tired and just trying anything to get this to work.

If you needed to copy over you'd just need to copy the files from the "addons" folder in the Arma 2 folder to the OA > expansions > addons folder. Some are repeat but for those I just skipped them. I think you copied over the entire Arma 2 folder.

DTKT

Goddammit, are the requirements for this super high or something? I've got a shitty quad core, with a gts 250. Will I be able to run this? The game sounds fucking amazing from everything I've read.

Download the demo version of ARMA from Steam and try running it.

ARMAII and OA are extremely CPU intensive and a bad quad might not be enough to run it. I have a 5870 and a i5-750 stock speed and I have to lower the draw distance and texture details by a lot. I get about 30-40 FPS. Much less in towns.

If you needed to copy over you'd just need to copy the files from the "addons" folder in the Arma 2 folder to the OA > expansions > addons folder. Some are repeat but for those I just skipped them. I think you copied over the entire Arma 2 folder.

I'm sure I just copied the addons folder, so I don't know why the files were so big. It wouldn't surprise me if I did do something like that though, my head's all over the place today.
I'll try again tomorrow, and actually take my time rather than trying to get it to work as fast as I can.

Tesseract

Banned
game runs pretty well here. phenom x2 550 black / ati 5830 / 4 gigs of ram

i'm pulling 30 or so fps with most settings maxed. antialiasing disabled of course.

Just finished playing about 6 hours of this and my god.

I had the most fun I have had in a video game all year. Best moment was having no ammo climbing a tower and finding an mp5sd up there letting me rain down death on a swarm of 15 zombies attacking my loot buddy.

Kritz

Banned
So, I just got a Steam message about last night's DayZ game. I have since learned the following...

We met two guys while me and Cryptik were walking to Elekt, and although one was a bandit, we decided to trust them. Only a few minutes later, we got in a firefight with some guy camping the roads. We managed to kill him, but both me and the american got tagged. We were stable, but had only 2000 blood each. We were a fucking mess. By pure chance we run into Igni, who had spawned not too far from us, near the big lighthouse between the two cities.

So us as a four man group started our way to Elekt. We checked out a town, found nothing, and then met one other guy. He said he just came from there, and that the city was dangerous and there were no blood packs in the hospital.

The two people that shot at us are GAFers.

We only killed one of them.

The guy we met directly after? Was the second guy.

We then spent the next four hours working together. Even, at some point, teaming up with the guy we killed.

Crazy.

I don't want to be a bandit but sometimes I feel like I'd be better off capping the guy infront of me and using his gear to help me survive. With a group of people you can fend off a herd but when you get teamed up with a single someone who can't make a decision and draws attention, I just want to shoot him and go solo. The dark decisions we make in this brave, new world.

As someone who doesn't PC game much, how would I go about using teamspeak in this game since people don't seem to be chatting much in-game? It seems easier to talk to others but I've only come across a handful of people talking.

This was linked in the other Dayz thread, but it's really fun and worth watching right now: http://www.twitch.tv/criken

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Finally had a legit face to face bandit encounter. Rainy, at night, in the forest, and I saw someone hauling ass towards me from long out. I had a sniper rifle, so I took a peek - recognized bandit clothes. I don't think he saw me, because I missed my first shot (fuck you it's tense man!) and he dove to the ground - but he dove towards me, making it easy for a headshot. Took his beans and water. Thug life.

KKRT00

So i finally joined an US server and was able play at daytime.
I've started moving along the railroads to get to some 'civilization' and when i finally saw some houses, i also saw a guy running away in my direction. I've slowly crawling to him till he passes me, he was escaping from two crawling zombies. He asked if i'm friendly, i said yes and we cleared zombies out. They dropped ammo for some rifle [7,62mm could be fir AKM].
He said that he's going north and if i wanted to join, but i could barely hear him. Something is fucked up with voice communication ingame.
But of course i joined, why shouldnt I?
He went to forest and we started to climb up the mountain, then again through forest, then again through mountain, till he said
'Hmm, sometimes its not alright, wait a second i check a map' after a while he said 'oh fuck, You can shoot me in the head, i'm done' and he committed suicide leaving me in forest ... [dunno why hasnt dropped anything, but w/e]
So after i got to the end of the map [dunno what end, i dont know map at all], i head the other way and after like 30-40 minutes going through mountains, plains and forests finally got somewhere ...

I've explored a little town called Pavlovo, but not much of it, because there was a church and on 'The Days Ahead' i've seen how many zombies chased their group, i wouldnt stand a chance if i fired my weapon in center of a town. Then followed the road and ended my journey for today near crossroad to Bor and Komarovo :)
I'll be near this arena for a while, so if someone is close enough we can group. This game sucks a little when You are alone ;p

Thats approximation of my trip ;p

7VnOh.jpg

Shots

RfMMf.jpg
7KkgF.jpg

Ts0JB.jpg
gjqxM.jpg

5Wj7a.jpg
aNJJ8.jpg

tkaLF.jpg
1Uf8q.jpg

jNYcI.jpg

He committed suicide here

kmmHz.jpg

Me on the edge of the world

1FSDq.jpg

Nice orientation points, i so know where i am ...

eugi2.jpg
cymgw.jpg

40 minutes later, yey civilization!... and zombies ;p

di6XC.jpg
e6lVT.jpg

GEBKU.jpg
kjpZV.jpg

Finally, I know where i am!

7dW5K.jpg

End of a trip

6CeCe.jpg
wzLYN.jpg

You guys are making me download this. There is no way I can resist anymore. I'm looking forward to playing in a couple of hours when it's done!

Though I've never ever played the Arma series so I imagine I'm in for a bit of a learning curve. Still can't wait.

Am I fine with just buying Operation Arrowhead for this or do I need Combined Operations?

Combined Ops is Operation Arrowhead + Arma 2 bundle. If you already have Arma 2 you just need OA but if you don't then you'll just need to get Combined Ops (it's also the cheaper way to get both).

Also, KevinDusk, if you're out there somewhere googling yourself, I'm coming for you. I saved you from the zombies and tried to bandage you and that was the thanks? Blah comin'.

i can install fcom for oblivion but ill be damned if I can get this thing to work lol

I have:

Arma 2 installed, and ran once
OA installed, and ran once
@dayz/addons/ (all dayz extracted files)
set operation arrowhead launch options to -mod=@dayz -nosplash
right click OA name in steam and launch that as combined operations
the next screen I get a desert scene with a heli flying over and Arma 2 , @dayz on the far right

but when I try and connect to a server I keep getting connection failed.

Zimbardo

Arma II Combined Operations is on the Steam top sellers list now. i'm assuming its because of this mod?

seems pretty cool anyway.

i can install fcom for oblivion but ill be damned if I can get this thing to work lol

I have:

Arma 2 installed, and ran once
OA installed, and ran once
@dayz/addons/ (all dayz extracted files)
set operation arrowhead launch options to -mod=@dayz -nosplash
right click OA name in steam and launch that as combined operations
the next screen I get a desert scene with a heli flying over and Arma 2 , @dayz on the far right

but when I try and connect to a server I keep getting connection failed.

Make sure you're not trying to join one of the bottoms serves where it asks for a specific version. What's the error message you're getting? Are you trying a server that you're getting a decent ping for?

qazqaNii

FROM THIS:
dvvM0.jpg

WE RAN HERE With them chasing us:

wqAwm.jpg

It was crazy, we met att cherno suddenly 2-3 zombies came we killed them, 2-3 zombies became 20-30 so we ran to elektro to the hospital roof. It was a run that took 10-15 minutes, thought we got lost lol, zombies chased us all the way from cherno to elektro.

It was fun just running away from zombies lol :p

RyanDG

Man, I'm just not getting an acceptable frame rate with the ARMAII Free version so I have decided not to risk it - as much as I do want to play this game. Is the ARMA II Free version suffering from optimization issues that are fixed in other versions? Or if I'm not getting a good performance out of the Free version, I probably shouldn't expect changes in the actual paid version?

taoofjord

Well, I just had one of the best experiences I've ever had with a video game (in my 25-ish years of playing them) tonight. I don't have the patience to do the story justice but I'll just tell the bit at the end...

It involved me making some extremely unlikely allies. One who was silent and never spoke a word, he stuck with me to the bitter end. And two bandits (I ran into the first one in a big building with my buddy and we just stared each other down... I've never had so much trouble deciding whether to pull the trigger in a mp game before - not to mention I only had one bullet left at that point!). Anyway, both bandits ended up being extremely friendly and helpful.

My character's story ended when I ended up severely wounded and low on blood (from a zombie that surprised me by rising out of the ocean). When you're low enough on blood your vision gets blurry and you will continue to pass out for about 15 seconds at a time. After 10 minutes of this I ended up feeling like a burden to my 3 allies and told them to kill me and use my equipment (I had some decent stuff for only about 90 minutes of playtime... a watch, rifle, good amount of food and soda, ammo for a few different guns though not for any of what I currently had). They refused and told me to hang in there.

Well, normally this would be cheesy or goofy, and I did this with my tongue partly in my cheek, but after trying to hang in there but continuing to pass out I decided to kill myself and let them take my stuff. Before I killed myself I started dropping all my equipment. They asked, "What are you doing?" to which I responded, "I'm sorry. Thank you. Good bye". Then I committed suicide.

Aweeeeesome.

Damn it's only been half a day but I can't stand not having this game. Gonna have to figure out how to set up Windows on my Mac...

legacyzero

Banned
Here is my story.

I played for about 3 hours tonight. Joined a Russian server hoping it'd be during the day. Guess not. I spawned on the coast and immediately saw a red aura in the distance. Somebody had thrown a flare down. It was an airfield. One tower and Two hangers side by side. Firstly I asked who they were and if they were friendly. No answer.

I began to slowly approach the tower, scanning dark corners for movement. There are dead bodies everywhere. Some zombies, some soldiers. I notice a dead soldier on the catwalk on top of the tower. Still nobody around. I go to the top of the tower and search his body. He had TONS of stuff. An M16 and quite a bit of ammo. I was surprised nobody looted him. He must have been killed by zombies, or picked off from afar. Sucks to be him. Suddenly I see a bunch of dark moving silhouettes blurring across the field next to the runway. A lone survivor was being chased! I quickly threw out a flare to let him know I was here and opened fire on his pursuers. Minutes later another person shows up. A bandit. I partied up with the both of them, constantly suspicious of the bandit. I stayed behind them the entire time so as to not have any guns at my back.

We eventually arrive at the beach at some sort of storage garage. It's still dark as fuck, but just light enough to see the horizon. We loot the garage, and then walk back outside. Then out of no where, I get shot. A broken bone and bleeding. I jump back into the garage for cover and instantly aim at the other two guys. They're getting shot at too. It suddenly dawned on me that it was another group trying to pick us off. I run out the back to try and flank him. I have no idea where the hell he is. But then I sneak up to the corner of the building in the direction he was firing from. The shots are louder now And I can see the muzzle smoke from around the corner! I WAS RIGHT ON TOP OF HIM!

I jump around the corner only to see him flash around the other corner of the building. Fucker was running. I walk up to the corner he just rounded. I see nothing. He's disappeared? I wait. Surely he hasn't gone far. He's caused some injury, but hasn't killed anyone yet. I bet he's trying to fall back and wait for us to pop out. That's exactly what he did. He was prone in the grass up the hill about 30 yards ahead of me. He made the mistake of standing up in the crouch position. He wasn't even looking at me! I put a few shot into him with my M16. He panics and runs, but dies after taking a few steps. He was alone.

My first bandit kill. Felt great to finally kill an aggressor, especially after playing last night where I got savagely killed by bandits a few times. I guess this game teaches you to be on your feet.

Teknoman

Well, I just had one of the best experiences I've ever had with a video game (in my 25-ish years of playing them) tonight. I don't have the patience to do the story justice but I'll just tell the bit at the end...

It involved me making some extremely unlikely allies. One who was silent and never spoke a word, he stuck with me to the bitter end. And two bandits (I ran into the first one in a big building with my buddy and we just stared each other down... I've never had so much trouble deciding whether to pull the trigger in a mp game before - not to mention I only had one bullet left at that point!). Anyway, both bandits ended up being extremely friendly and helpful.

My character's story ended when I ended up severely wounded and low on blood (from a zombie that surprised me by rising out of the ocean). When you're low enough on blood your vision gets blurry and you will continue to pass out for about 15 seconds at a time. After 10 minutes of this I ended up feeling like a burden to my 3 allies and told them to kill me and use my equipment (I had some decent stuff for only about 90 minutes of playtime... a watch, rifle, good amount of food and soda, ammo for a few different guns though not for any of what I currently had). They refused and told me to hang in there.

Well, normally this would be cheesy or goofy, and I did this with my tongue partly in my cheek, but after trying to hang in there but continuing to pass out I decided to kill myself and let them take my stuff. Before I killed myself I started dropping all my equipment. They asked, "What are you doing?" to which I responded, "I'm sorry. Thank you. Good bye". Then I committed suicide.

Aweeeeesome.

Damn...I would have been talking about that with other players for awhile after that happened. Is this the first mod of its kind, or just the first one to do this so well?

Make sure you're not trying to join one of the bottoms serves where it asks for a specific version. What's the error message you're getting? Are you trying a server that you're getting a decent ping for?

i just kept hitting connect and it did eventually, i have one of those shitty isps that will shut off your internet for like 30 seconds if it detects a massive pinging (ie worm virus) coming from your i.p.

got in game, couldnt see shit it was so dark, ran up a hill, down a hill, into a town, and died to mob o zombies lol.

Top Bottom