• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would it be possible to make an open-world game with Uncharted 3 level of detail?

sublimit

Banned
So i'm currently playing Uncharted 3 and i'm blown away with all the level of detail,lightning etc.And i was wondering would it be possible to make a game as big as Skyrim,without compromising any of its freedom and still make the world and characters to have the level of detail that Uncharted 3 has?I'm speaking about PS360,not PC.

Is it a matter of development time and how big a development team is or is it impossible anyway because of current gen hardware limitations?
And do you think such a game could be possible in next gen?

Bombadil

Banned
I'm speaking about PS360,not PC.

No.

I could be wrong, and I'm sure some tech wizard is going to jump down my throat, but I think VRAM factors into this.

You might be able to do it, but the amount of pop-in would be unacceptable.

Far Cry 2 is the only thing that comes close, so no. GTA5 looks to be pretty close in the trailer we've seen, but most of that is cutscenes.

Edit: Wow I completely forgot about RDR. Scrap that FC2 noise, RDR is the best looking open world game on consoles, period.

FoneBone

Aside from just technical limitations, you'd need a massive budget to pull that off without a lot of obvious asset recycling.

protonion

Aren't Uncharted games streaming data all the time? What difference would it make if the maps extended to all directions?
However a Skyrim like game which needs tons of ram or a fast game like gta probably not.

Next gen should do this without sweating.

Bombadil

Banned
Aren't Uncharted games streaming data all the time? What difference would it make if the maps extended to all directions?
However a Skyrim like game which needs tons of ram or a fast game like gta probably not.

Wouldn't a larger map have more stuff being loaded into RAM, thus requiring more RAM?

KageMaru

It's in no way possible. There's a reason why the best "looking" games this Gen are all linear with scripted events. It gives the developers the most control over resource management.

protonion

Wouldn't a larger map have more stuff being loaded into RAM, thus requiring more RAM?

I don't know about programming but I think not. The game should load whatever you see on screen. As you walk stuff gets in and out of the ram as needed.

jett

D-Member

The difference is the amount of people, time and quite simply money it would take to populate a world with the level of detail the Uncharted games pack.

sublimit

Banned
How much money ya got?
Lets say infinite. :p Is it only a budget problem?

So the main problem is VRAM right?How much of it do you think a game like that would require in order to minimize pop in as much as possible?

Are you sure?I keep hearing that next gen consoles will not be very powerful in order to keep their prices low...

From a project management perspective, you would have to create exponentially greater amounts of assets if you want the game to be as detailed as a linear game. The more of the world that the player gets to see, the more effort and time is required to create that world.

KageMaru

The difference is the amount of people, time and quite simply money it would take to populate a world with the level of detail the Uncharted games pack.

Not to mention the quality and amount of assets needed to fit into memory, even with streaming involved.

Xav

I read the thread title and the first game I thought of was Batman Arkham City. Wish I had a PC that could run it on max settings, I bet it looks amazing.

sublimit

Banned
From a project management perspective, you would have to create exponentially greater amounts of assets if you want the game to be as detailed as a linear game. The more of the world that the player gets to see, the more effort and time is required to create that world.

So would a team of 300 people be able to do it with the right management?Assasin Creed's games have teams of 200 people and they are still miles away from a game such as the one i'm saying...

Bombadil

Banned
I don't know about programming but I think not. The game should load whatever you see on screen. As you walk stuff gets in and out of the ram as needed.

Right, but with an open world game there's a lot more stuff on screen, unless they shroud everything in fog like in Turok or Silent Hill.

It would definitely require more RAM and a faster GPU.

Not on this gen, no.

although some games like ass creed and batman and maybe even gta 4 probably arent too far away. it's still not possible by definition really.

Awesome daydream, but no. Maybe in a few years if it were with an established IP and on a super powerful next-gen console/PC.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Most open-world games recycle a lot of assets. For a game like Uncharted 2, the developers build each area carefully with attention to detail, but this is simply not possible in an open-world game. Sure, next-gen we will see a lot of improvement, but it definitely won't be at Uncharted's level.

BibiMaghoo

Only on PC, unless areas were seperated by disc, or the game had a massive install. You could have a world map divided between 4 discs or so, but then would have to swap them when traversing to new areas.

Also....the cost, and time it would take to do it would most likely not be worth it for any company.

But yes, I suppose it could be done.

KageMaru

Most open-world games recycle a lot of assets. For a game like Uncharted 2, the developers build each area carefully with attention to detail, but this is simply not possible in an open-world game. Sure, next-gen we will see a lot of improvement, but it definitely won't be at Uncharted's level.

Even Uncharted has repeated assets throughout it's levels.

Edit:

I just noticed you think open world games still won't match uncharted next Gen. Couldn't disagree more.

sublimit

Banned

A realistic but very disheartening answer .;_;

sTeLioSco

Banned

but still,when open world games graphics get better,a linear game will always have the advantage of having more detail and pushing more polygons and effects in a confined space.

RedSwirl

Not on current gen consoles no. The PC version of Crysis comes close. It has some really massive environments and graphics technically superior to Uncharted.

KageMaru

but still,when open world games graphics get better,a linear game will always have the advantage of having more detail and pushing more polygons and effects in a confined space.

Doesn't change the fact that open world games next generation should exceed linear games this Gen. Linear games will always have the advantage, so that goes without saying =D

jett

D-Member
When unbridled from the shackles of 720p, there aren't many games anywhere that rival Uncharted 3. An open world game with these quality of visuals would be something else.

screenshot_02242009_001526.png

screenshot_02242009_001307.png

screenshot_02242009_002445.png

screenshot_02242009_002735.png

screenshot_02242009_002941.png

9-yemen-chase-11.png

2-yemen-intro-market-1.png

9-yemen-chase-8.png

6-yemen-temple-well-1.png

The texturework in this game is really astounding.

In good looking, more open games like RDR and Crysis and whatever, it's so easy to note all the copypasta, props and objects and stock building patterns and millions of similar trees and bushes and rocks that are ubiquitous. Uncharted blows me away because there's so many fine, unique details crammed into the scenes and architecture. No matter how much power you have at your disposal, I don't see how you could get enough artists to make every scene stand out from the others like UC does.

charsace

Not possible on Console or PC. The polygon count and the ram needed would be crazy high. When I look at Uncharted character models they look like 20000+ models with 2048 res diffuse, normal and specular maps. This isn't even taking into account the backgrounds. Uncharted is a linear game so they can pick spots where they can save on polygon and texture res budget. Culling of the gaming area would also be different in open world games. I'm also going to assume that open world games will need even better streaming tech to handle the large areas. Can't see an open world game doing all that and looking like Uncharted 3.

salpa

Banned
The Witcher 2 for the PC blows UC3 away in technical prowess, and the 360 version looks like that game with a mix of medium and other settings.

So no, it won't happen with consoles, but it's already there with PC games.

For a console to achieve what you are asking, you'd have to be looking down at the ground the entire time.

I have to agree.RDR looks like day and night compared to the level of detail that Uncharted games have.Especially U3.

Aw Man..I'm not a graphics whore (i still play and enjoy my PS1 games) but just dreaming about a game as big and with the freedom Skyrim has with that level of detail....DAMN!!
@_@

A higher resolution, less pop in, and more AA would help RDR so much, never mind making the lighting/models/textures up to Uncharted levels.

Those Uncharted shots.... I said dayum. Maybe when we get a fabled fully working PS3 emulator in 10 years from now.

Top Bottom