• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would it be possible to make an open-world game with Uncharted 3 level of detail?

The Witcher 2 for the PC blows UC3 away in technical prowess, and the 360 version looks like that game with a mix of medium and other settings.

So no, it won't happen with consoles, but it's already there with PC games.

For a console to achieve what you are asking, you'd have to be looking down at the ground the entire time.

Say what?

sublimit

Banned
The Witcher 2 for the PC blows UC3 away in technical prowess, and the 360 version looks like that game with a mix of medium and other settings.

Really?The videos i've seen from Witcher 2 look like they are lacking the detail of Uncharted games.Even the PC version.

If you mean Witcher 2 then no.It's not open world.

McLovin

They promised that with Rage, but it didn't really deliver. I don't think its possible, maybe next gen... I thought red dead redemption came kind of close, but thats mostly outdoor stuff.

For a console to achieve what you are asking, you'd have to be looking down at the ground the entire time.

I thought we were talking about open world games? The Witcher 2's environments are small, enclosed, cramped, and full of invisible walls.

Tiktaalik

Absolutely not. You're doing so much, much more in an open world game. In a GTAlike game at any moment you have 20 cars driving around, likely more pedestrians and a huge draw distance. In contrast in Uncharted they designed the gameplay around the fact that they could only have ~6 or so enemy AIs on the screen at once (at least this was the case in U1, probably a bit better in the later games).

Anuxinamoon

Shaper Divine
Is it a matter of development time and how big a development team is...?

Yes.

And with big teams and big scope = harder to keep the feeling of a hand crafted focused game.

I have no doubt it can be done, its just trying to get 100 super talented people like those at ND people on the same page every day with a massive scope of a game is more difficult than you would expect.

The reason why ND is so good at making what they make is their super talented team is hand picked and focused on making an awesome, focused user experience. And they have the resources behind them to do so.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
So i'm currently playing Uncharted 3 and i'm blown away with all the level of detail,lightning etc.And i was wondering would it be possible to make a game as big as Skyrim,without compromising any of its freedom and still make the world and characters to have the level of detail that Uncharted 3 has?I'm speaking about PS360,not PC.

Is it a matter of development time and how big a development team is or is it impossible anyway because of current gen hardware limitations?
And do you think such a game could be possible in next gen?

Nope.

PC has already far surpassed it in terms of engines. See cryEngine 3.

Also what your asking is impossible every generation. Naughty Dog tweaks the fuck out of their engines to get every last drop of performance possible out of hardware. To the point that emulating or porting their games is very difficult because it's so customized.

If you're talking about production values (animations, cut scenes, voice acting) probably not for dozens of years due to development cost that's independent of specs.

Really?The videos i've seen from Witcher 2 look like they are lacking the detail of Uncharted games.Even the PC version.

Is this like a religion or something? How could you possibly not see the difference between Witcher 2 PC and UC3?

http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=37163621&postcount=4127
http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=457378&page=83
http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=37607658&postcount=4483
http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=37222787&postcount=4205

jett

D-Member
Nope.

PC has already far surpassed it in terms of engines. See cryEngine 3.

Also what your asking is impossible every generation. Naughty Dog tweaks the fuck out of their engines to get every last drop of performance possible out of hardware. To the point that emulating or porting their games is very difficult because it's so customized.

If you're talking about production values (animations, cut scenes, voice acting) probably not for dozens of years due to development cost that's independent of specs.

Is this like a religion or something? How could you possibly not see the difference between Witcher 2 PC and UC3?

http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=37163621&postcount=4127
http://neogaf.net/forum/showthread.php?t=457378&page=83
http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=37607658&postcount=4483
http://neogaf.net/forum/showpost.php?p=37222787&postcount=4205

Those are some mighty crappy pictures of Witcher 2 you chose. The downsampled UC3 pictures I posted earlier easily rival those pics in terms of asset quality/texturework/level of deatil/whatever you wanna cal it. 720p is seriously holding UC3 back.

Anyway, W2 is neither here nor there as it isn't an open world game.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Maybe 5 to 8 years from now, not next gen, but the generation after that?

PC games may be able to implement that level of detail sometime soon, but it takes a lot of $capita, and let's be honest here, Uncharted 3 was a short game, maybe that was how they were able to budget-it in.
If you're talking about a massive RPG along the scales of of Skyrim, you're going to take several years to get it done, start now time is of the essence.

Also, with a big name company like Bethesda, maybe they can afford to invest the time and money into the game, the only downside is, whether or not they chose to make the effort, their game will sell just because it's BETHESDA, I'm sure some hurt PS3 owners will have something to say, but regardless, they'll get away with the minimum.

As for Uncharted 3, Sony was the underdog last gen, and they're doing fine now.
All of you know Sony as being an extravagant company, well UC3 was an example, and boy did it pay itself off.

Sony takes a lot of chances, you guys know this first-hand, look at their expected sales-numbers forecast, they are confident.
But as they say: ''Those who do not try, do not know success, or learn from their mistakes.''

Sentenza

Really?The videos i've seen from Witcher 2 look like they are lacking the detail of Uncharted games.Even the PC version..
Are you joking?
The Witcher 2 maxed out on PC has some of the most impressive and detailed textures I ever seen, *even* by PC standards.

Of course, its world is small and quite self-contained, so this is not saying much about making a proper open world game with the same detail. Yet.

NIGHT-

I was more impressed while playing through RDR than Uncharted 3. Take it as you will. Both are beautiful games though

fernoca

I thought Just Cause 2 was quite close, at least here and there. The game's quite stunning even more considering the amount of crazy stunts you can do.

But in general it would require quite too much work, resources and money to get it .Uncharted can achieve visuals like it does because of it's more smaller and scripted nature.

(._.)

Banned
Yes. I'm pretty sure it is possible. One of the reasons Uncharted looks so great is because the environments are so small so they are able to focus in and develop beautiful assets and scenes. Doing this in on open world scale would just take so much more time and I don't even want to think about how they would split all the work up. I believe one of the modelers for Uncharted 3 recently made a thread on polycount where he explained how there was only one modeler and one texture artists for all the environment art for each level (iirc). May have been one other person on board for the level design. Two people working for two years together to model and texture an entire uncharted 3 level from concept art provided. think how narrow the levels usually are. It would just require a really large staff. One of the reasons why all these AAA games are going up in budget.

So i'm currently playing Uncharted 3 and i'm blown away with all the level of detail,lightning etc.And i was wondering would it be possible to make a game as big as Skyrim,without compromising any of its freedom and still make the world and characters to have the level of detail that Uncharted 3 has?I'm speaking about PS360,not PC.

Is it a matter of development time and how big a development team is or is it impossible anyway because of current gen hardware limitations?
And do you think such a game could be possible in next gen?

Give Naughty Dog lots and lots and lots of money. LOTS.

Jac_Solar

Open world games/games with distant terrain that you can explore/approach use LOD of varying quality, so, while it's very demanding, it's not "that" much more demanding than a linear game because the assets/models/content in the distance aren't rendered in high quality until you approach it (Ideally.). LOD quality is whatever quality the Xbox360/PS3 can handle (There tend to be several different levels of quality depending on the distance. I think I heard somewhere that 7-8 different levels of LOD quality for trees, for example, is normal for an AAA game.) It's a continuous process as you move about the map.

Uncharted 3 has the explorable content (All levels combined.) of, like, 5% of Skyrim (Example.), and they probably spent a long time developing that. There is a lot of detail in those areas.

Unless you have a team of 10.000+ talented people working for a couple of years, I don't think it's possible to create such a world. And teams of that size are very inefficient (Atleast in a complex production like this, where everybodys result needs to be put correctly into a single product; the game.)

I think procedural generation is the only way to make something resembling a Skyrim size world with Uncharted 3 detail. But to even get to that point, unless someone brilliant comes up with a perfect algorithm/solution, the gaming industry needs to start experimenting more with procedeural generation and pool together solutions, and iterate their way to a solution/method that can make something like a Skyrim+U3 detailed world.

You know, like a program that automatically makes a lot of the models needed, places them around the map in a logical manner, and automatically generates the necessary textures and puts them, logically, on the models.

There are already programs like CityEngine out there, which generates entire cities on the fly.

Procedural generation and manual work on the content generated is probably the only way to make Skyrim like games much more detailed/larger/varied in the future.

Bethesda already had most of the engine developed, and they still spent several years on the project. Games will probably become much more expensive to make using the same old method of development, so I think it'd be much more efficient to develop worlds using procedural tech in more areas of development (Open world games usually use some form of procedural generation to generate trees/generate initial heightmaps perhaps, and to a much lesser degree, texture placement over large areas I think.)

And/Or I really think they should consider discussing something like a universal game engine at one of those developer conferences. It's very unlikely to make something like it at the moment, but I think they should atleast talk about it.

If there was an open source engine with everything necessary to make a game integrated (3D modeller, 2D software like photoshop, texture/heightmap editor/generator, open for all scripts, physics, A.I, etc.) into it, making games would probably be much easier. Developers wouldn't even need to spend a lot of their budget on making an engine, or licensing an engine.

And, they could potentially pool together all the resources/assets in a shared database -- if a huge amount of assets/models/content/worlds were readily accessible, a prototype game could be built really fast. Then they could modify the content so it doesn't resemble anything that's in the other game (From which they borrowed the content/models/assets.), or make new content.

Not sure how viable that is, though. :p

I'm not saying it should be exactly like that, but a shared engine with everything necessary to make a game is the general idea. It'd probably cost like 1$ billion dollars to make at first though.

Shai-Tan

Banned
the witcher 2 = blur the shit out of distant things with depth of field or whatever so it can have a high level of detail up close. uncharted = have amazing texture artists who eke out everything they can from the texture budget. areas are enclosed but at least it doesn't overuse fake camera effects to cover up lack of detail at a distance

Sentenza

the witcher 2 = blur the shit out of distant things with depth of field or whatever so it can have a high level of detail up close. uncharted = have amazing texture artists who eke out everything they can from the texture budget. areas are enclosed but at least it doesn't overuse fake camera effects to cover up lack of detail at a distance
LeavingSeinfeld.gif

When unbridled from the shackles of 720p, there aren't many games anywhere that rival Uncharted 3. An open world game with these quality of visuals would be something else.

[IMGhttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/-S2wWafIX2Fw/Ttb6FgCbfMI/AAAAAAAAAcw/tCLedE_bjKU/s1600/screenshot_02242009_001526.png[/IMG]

[IM]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5pKMPZFvSaQ/Ttb5u4ecQyI/AAAAAAAAAck/X9LmV48GG1Q/s1600/screenshot_02242009_001307.png[/IMG]

[IG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-jSljiMgZ-Ww/Ttb7dKIMtUI/AAAAAAAAAdg/Tkr0bx0h1qo/s1600/screenshot_02242009_002445.png[/IMG]

[MG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yZ4Q108Pq14/Ttb8Cuxk1pI/AAAAAAAAAd4/WxMDKiz3RYQ/s1600/screenshot_02242009_002735.png[/IMG]

[MG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XZMqTcIZF0U/Ttb8UMz8K6I/AAAAAAAAAeE/ya8klo5cJHU/s1600/screenshot_02242009_002941.png[/IMG]

IMG]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Ixqqgh_qRwY/TupHSEQBRcI/AAAAAAAAAiY/knrYW55wSw0/s1600/9-yemen-chase-11.png[/IM]

[MG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n5JSIWjHiNk/TupF-w7xR0I/AAAAAAAAAgs/US9uN9k95oc/s1600/2-yemen-intro-market-1.png[/IMG]

[MG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VkSUyFKQob4/TupHKMkgKTI/AAAAAAAAAiM/EMCE9v0Qido/s1600/9-yemen-chase-8.png[/IMG]

[MG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ah__V7vG8c0/TupGtsnpbZI/AAAAAAAAAhc/69tHBE39Dvw/s1600/6-yemen-temple-well-1.png[/IMG]

The texturework in this game is really astounding.

aw man, now I really want Uncharted full HD collection for PS4...

sublimit

Banned
Are you joking?
The Witcher 2 maxed out on PC has some of the most impressive and detailed textures I ever seen, *even* by PC standards.

Of course, its world is small and quite self-contained, so this is not saying much about making a proper open world game with the same detail. Yet.

Have you played Uncharted 3 recently?Just play the beginning of the France chapter and look at the level of detail inside the forest...it's crazy.Textures are also much better in U3.For example the rocks in W2 to me look as if they are covered by tinfoil. :/

I'm not saying the Witcher 2 doesn't look impressive.It's just that it can't much Uncharted 3 level of detail.

Sojgat

I think it would be possible in terms of an open world the size of Arkham city or smaller, and it would have to not be very highly populated. GTA/Saints row size area would be way too much work, wouldn't run very well and wouldn't fit on one disk (on 360 anyway) open world games on multiple disks are painful.

Sentenza

Have you played Uncharted 3 recently?Just play the beginning of the France chapter and look at the level of detail inside the forest...it's crazy.Textures are also much better in U3. For example the rocks in W2 to me look as if they are covered by tinfoil. :/
No, they really aren't.
Sure, Uncharted series is impressive by console standards and there's some amazing art direction involved, but it seems to me like you're deliberately ignoring all the occasional smoke and mirrors they use to hide poor details here and there.

http://i.imgur.com/6rDyH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tvXZW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/PWTgS.jpg

And when it comes to textures, more specifically, The Witcher 2 on PC on max settings is one of the most impressive things out there.
You can just enter the monastery in the prologue or Floatsam's tavern, look around a bit and it should really be pretty obvious what I'm talking about.

EDIT: holy shit, why those imagines don't auto-resize? What I have to do? D:

sublimit

Banned
Um you know that the quality of those screens don't do the game justice right?The textures look nothing like that on my tv.

And i'm not deliberately ignoring anything.Why would i do so?
I'm just saying what i see.

Sentenza

Um you know that the quality of those screens don't do the game justice right?
Yeah, they are not the best quality in screen capturing, but that's not the point.
The point is that those poorly detailed parts are actually in the game.

-viper-

Banned
Holy fuck at those Uncharted 3 shots. That looks better than almost any game out today.

The fact U3 is a console game and looks as good as, if not better than 98% of PC games is truly remarkable.

you can't have true open world with that amount of detail unless the dev knows 100% they'll make their money back in spades. Huge development team and time. I guess you can just shrink the world down.

tzare

Probably not due to budget and memory/tech constrains. Next gen may have the tech to allow it, but uncharted 4 or other AAA non open world games will still be two seps ahead because they will push hw with controlled environments.

But there are nice open world world games like Infamous 2 or RDR or even Batman AC , so i think this generation has achieved really nice graphics. I wonder what will next gen offer

Maybe it's a matter of time.

What we need is a new powerfull middleware who let the developers spread the awesomeness trough all the map, like SpeedTree do with plants.

Moreover a random generated content don't have the same amout of love a handbuilded scenography has.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Technically, sure. But the cost would be astronomical.

NBtoaster

Have you played Uncharted 3 recently?Just play the beginning of the France chapter and look at the level of detail inside the forest...it's crazy.Textures are also much better in U3.For example the rocks in W2 to me look as if they are covered by tinfoil. :/

I'm not saying the Witcher 2 doesn't look impressive.It's just that it can't much Uncharted 3 level of detail.

You should try playing The Witcher 2 and not judging off videos.

SparkTR

We won't see one anytime soon, not because of lacking hardware but because of manpower. That level of polish is too much for something that isn't a linear action game.

Holy fuck at those Uncharted 3 shots. That looks better than almost any game out today.

The fact U3 is a console game and looks as good as, if not better than 98% of PC games is truly remarkable.

It would if the game actually had that level of IQ, it's unfortunately hamstrung by a low resolution and a lack of strong anti aliasing and texture filtering (the former being the most noticeable). Also:

Um you know that the quality of those screens don't do the game justice right?The textures look nothing like that on my tv.

They do on mine, I love the game but Uncharted 3 has it's fair share of terrible textures and worse still, baked-in lighting. Especially during the shipyard sequence, I'd say some sections there looked downright horrible at times. That's not to say it didn't have some great looking examples as well, it did, but it does not nearly match TW2 despite the more constrained maps (at least on PC, haven't played the 360 version).

Comparing pc to ps3? With the world of difference in ram btw them??? Uc3 holds up exceeding well. That is all.

Can't wait for the last of us

sublimit

Banned
You're wasting your time, those that wish to make this thread a UC3 wank-fest aren't looking at the subject objectively.

Congrats on totally missing the point of this thread.Please take your PC elitism with you and leave.This thread is not about your imaginary battle of PS3 vs PC.

Portugeezer

WItcher 2 did already. Uncharted level graphics with bigger world, not sure if I would call it open world though... you have freedom to go many places, but nothing even close to Skyrim.

thomaser

In good looking, more open games like RDR and Crysis and whatever, it's so easy to note all the copypasta, props and objects and stock building patterns and millions of similar trees and bushes and rocks that are ubiquitous. Uncharted blows me away because there's so many fine, unique details crammed into the scenes and architecture. No matter how much power you have at your disposal, I don't see how you could get enough artists to make every scene stand out from the others like UC does.

Perhaps with some kind of crowd-sourcing development?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I don't think an open world game with that level of detail is all that possible simply due to the man hours required to create so many unique assets. An open world game with that level of geometric detail/density is possible, but it would not be anywhere near as finely tuned and feel somewhat more repetitive.

WItcher 2 did already. Uncharted level graphics with bigger world, not sure if I would call it open world though... you have freedom to go many places, but nothing even close to Skyrim.
It lacks some of the finer details, though, I've found. It looks really incredible as a result of its textures, lighting, and effects but the geometry seems a bit less refined overall. Also, the animation in Uncharted 3 is quite a bit better AND uses per-object motion blur.

They're both highly impressive, but considering the hardware, I find Uncharted 3 to be much more so. The Witcher 2 doesn't run as well as it should considering the power of the PC hardware available and its animation is a mixed bag. Love that over the top bokeh depth of field, though. :D

NinjaBoiX

It's in no way possible. There's a reason why the best "looking" games this Gen are all linear with scripted events. It gives the developers the most control over resource management.
Exactly. That's why games like GOW3 look and perform so well, Santa Monica knows that, at "x" event, the camera will be looking in "x" direction. This allows them to fill that small perspective on the area with as many whizz bang effects as they can, knowing you can't suddenly turn the camera 90 degrees and ask the engine to draw something else entirely. In sandbox games, you can go anywhere and do anything at anytime, so the engine needs to run with some headroom to allow for a sudden explosion of particles or massive vista, meaning that under normal stress conditions, you could never have it pushing as much as GOW3.

Marleyman

Banned
Liberty City is detailed as hell; still the best city in an open world by far. That mod for the PC showed just how amazing Liberty City was.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It is extremely likely that an Uncharted 4 on PS4 would be just as linear as the previous games. Perhaps bigger environments with the occasional choice of route, but I certainly wouldn't expect a switch to open-world design.
It would be a travesty if they switched to an open world game design for a future Uncharted game, as far as I'm concerned.

KageMaru

Congrats on totally missing the point of this thread.Please take your PC elitism with you and leave.This thread is not about your imaginary battle of PS3 vs PC.

lol PC elitism? I don't even have a working PC now.

The silly posts in this thread have already turned this into a PS3 vs PC thread when people were claiming UC3 looks better than any other game, PC games included.

Top Bottom