• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

I've been trying to grind weapon materials in FF VIII in order to get Lionheart and holy fuck, Ruby Dragons are PURE EVIL.

-If the whole game was as good as the Pulse-Oerba section of the game, this would have been a good game. That's not saying pre-Pulse didn't have it's highlights (Nautilus), but Pulse is really the best part of the game.

As much as I loved FF XIII, I thought the initial segment in Pulse (the Archylte Steppe) was by far the weakest part of the game. I didn't mind the linearity before then, but I certainly did mind suddenly being tossed into a tedious-to-traverse area where practically every encounter could kick my ass. I'd rather the game have been consistent throughout. :B

Jucksalbe

Banned
I didn't mind the linearity before then, but I certainly did mind suddenly being tossed into a tedious-to-traverse area where practically every encounter could kick my ass. I'd rather the game have been consistent throughout. :B

It's not only the loss of linearity that made Pulse great, it's also the first place in the game that actually feels like "Final Fantasy". You can ride Chocobos, you get a lot of old enemies (like Tonberry, Ochu and Cactuars) and of course the whole steppe immediately feels like FF XII, love it or hate it, but it just feels like home.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Electivirus said:
I've been trying to grind weapon materials in FF VIII in order to get Lionheart and holy fuck, Ruby Dragons are PURE EVIL.

If Quistis has Degenerator, just burn through some aura to keep her in limit-break and let her one-shot them. Degenerator solves all your farming needs unless it involves Tonberries -only standard enemy in the game that's immune.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sprint Shoes, Growth Egg, and a TP gaining item. :/
It would be best to equip an Earth Ring/Gaian Ring (this would be much better; it's best to have Earth/Gaian Rings equipped on everyone) because most of the attacks the Guis/Adamantoises make are Earth-based.

As for Vanille/Hope, when fighting the bigger things, accessories that boost P.Def would help out a lot, as would Bangles that increase HP by a lot. You're not counting on them to do most of the damage when you're fighting the 'Toises fairly, so they're just there to help boost the Break Gauge. Fang's going to be doing most of the work until you Stagger it, so it's best to beef her up and leave the other guys to support and survive.

Whenever it attacks (and you'll know when it's about to attack when you see it about to animate to attack--Guis and Toises are very very very easy to decipher since they animate so slowly), switch to Sen/Sen/Sen ASAP, even if you're in mid-animation because the Sen passive attribute takes hold even if you're in the middle of doing something else. Other than that, 'Toises aren't hard. It's just a matter of doing things quickly and slamming attacks down very quickly. Stagger the legs with Thunder since that's the fastest spell in the game, and then hit it with a Highwind when the gauge is up past 600%. And then attack the head with debuffs and other stuff. It'll probably take two takedowns to kill it. Just be fast.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What do you mean SEN/SEN/SEN? I've been doing this and the GameFAQs method of killing them and they mention no SENs. Just SYN's and MED's and COM/RAV's to stagger and kill. SABs (at least Snow) for Daze.

And I can survive the first attack with the bangles randomly but then it quickly attacks again or the other two won't start healing fast enough to continue to survive and if we survive it's a huge healing and then attack a little. Heal, attack battle. I've staggered the left leg ONCE in twenty attempts. :/

TheSeks

SEN/SEN/SEN helps a little but it's too slow in switching from it after the attack to continue to stagger and chain him. :/

Maybe it's just the paradigms I'm using but I got him down one. Staggered him and he started to get back up while staggered to kill me in one hit. Annoying.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What do you mean SEN/SEN/SEN? I've been doing this and the GameFAQs method of killing them and they mention no SENs. Just SYN's and MED's and COM/RAV's to stagger and kill. SABs (at least Snow) for Daze.

And I can survive the first attack with the bangles randomly but then it quickly attacks again or the other two won't start healing fast enough to continue to survive and if we survive it's a huge healing and then attack a little. Heal, attack battle. I've staggered the left leg ONCE in twenty attempts. :/
Well, at least you're not using Death, since that method is really boring and time consuming (you're using a chance-based attack to get an item that is even more chance-based). That method that you've highlighted is much better for stronger parties in Crystarium Level 10. Because it uses Tier-2 weapons and is more suited for postgame due to a more offensive strategy (which is similar to the one I used initially prior to getting used to downing them in super-quick strikes), I wouldn't use a straight-offensive approach if you're taking down the Adamantoises now. Go for Defensive and take your time with it. That means adding a Tri-Sen and switching to it whenever it's about to attack. You can also modify it to a MED/SEN/SEN or a MED/MED/SEN depending on how much healing you need.

You use Tri-SEN to switch quickly when it begins to animate or when the attack name appears. The first switch is stupid because the developers thought it would be cool to do a camera pan and character animations for the first switch, when in reality, it's stupid and time-consuming. Did you switch your accessories to increase P.DEF and defense against Earth Attacks? Those work very well in conjunction with the Tri-SEN Optima.

When it uses Roar/Bay (I forgot which one the Adamantoise has, probably Roar), switch to SEN/SEN/SEN, immediately. You might not be able to defend too much against the attack, but with the rings, enhanced defensive accessories, and the Sen Optima, you'll be able to have at least one person survive.

By the time you do this when you unlock Crystarium Level 10, you won't have to go for Tri-SEN as the Adamantoise won't be doing much damage to you.

I did most of my farming in post-game, though. I did part of it prior to beating the game until I got bored doing it and decided to beat the game instead. :lol

Honestly, it's so boring, especially when Adamantoises no longer pose a threat to you and you're doing the same thing over and over and over. That's another reason why I started to fight the Guis more often since the Guis' attack patterns are very unpredictable.

SEN/SEN/SEN helps a little but it's too slow in switching from it after the attack to continue to stagger and chain him. :/

Maybe it's just the paradigms I'm using but I got him down one. Staggered him and he started to get back up while staggered to kill me in one hit. Annoying.
Nope, that one works. Just keep using Thunder on the legs, down the legs with Highwind (make sure it's the last attack since I don't think you can down them in one hit; Highwind resets the chain %), get it down, debuff, and increase the chain to 999%, and then whack on it. Highwind should be your last attack as the chain runs out.

Another good attack for when the adamantoise is staggered is to use Lightning's Army of One to drive up the Chain % quickly to 999%. Don't use it prior to stagger because it doesn't do much.

TheSeks

That's the thing: I can't get Highwind to 800% because he stomps at 600% and I'm near death.

I have two earth items on the party and bangles on the girls.

I start with SYN/MED/MED for Protectra and Haste. Then Tri-Disaster (RAV/RAV/RAV) the legs while highwinding at 600% after a stomp kills me to do damage with stagger. Heal, rebuff, highwind leg. Do the same (barely) to the right leg.

Turtle falls. Start to attempt to damage it with tri-disaster. Stagger it. Switch to Com/SAB/SAB for debuffs. Not doing too much damage.

Stands up and... WHAM. KO.

TheSeks

Maybe I should just beat the game so I can have the 10 Crystarium to beat the turtles with. :/ But I still gotta get 600,000 gil for three adam stones and then 40,000 gil a pop to get 19 Uranites. :/

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Maybe I should just beat the game so I can have the 10 Crystarium to beat the turtles with. :/ But I still gotta get 600,000 gil for three adam stones and then 40,000 gil a pop to get 19 Uranites. :/
Yeah, reading your post above, it seems like you should try to beat the game at this point. The strategy you're following is more suited to Crystarium Level 10 parties because it takes a more offensive approach. People usually tried to, in general, beat the turtles prior to beating the game with the Death ability. But if you want to do it legit, it'll go faster and be much easier if you unlock Crystarium Level 10.

Plus Fang as a Ravager and Synergist is awesome. Honestly, she's one of my favourite characters to use manually.

TheSeks

Well, I'm close to maxing her and two-three others of the party out. I already have Light and Sazh as maxed Stage 9. So that leaves getting them 999999 or whatever CP to kick start the stage 10 Crystarium.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, I'm close to maxing her and two-three others of the party out. I already have Light and Sazh as maxed Stage 9. So that leaves getting them 999999 or whatever CP to kick start the stage 10 Crystarium.
Stage 10 crystarium takes, like, 10-11 million CP depending on the character to max all roles. It takes a while. Sazh will probably max out before everyone else since his Crystarium is so small. Try to max Stage 9 for everyone (at least their primary roles--and I think you've probably done that based on the strategy you're using for the Adamantoise) before fighting the final boss since it could save you from Progenitorial Wrath.

For Level 10 Crystarium primary roles, it's 30K for half, and then 60K for the second half (so in most cases, it's 1.3 million CP for each primary role) Secondary roles are double that (ex: 60K for half, 120K for the second half; so 2.3 million CP for each secondary role)). It goes hand-in-hand with turtle/ingot/trap grinding, I guess. That still doesn't make it any less tedious.

ninjatrigg

Neo Member
It's simply not worth it. I really wanted to do the XIII platinum but I couldn't bring myself to keep going. Just give up and feel better.

I really wanted that too, but once I thought about it, it really wasn't worth it.
I maxed everyone out, and got around 67% of trophies I think...
Good enough.

I enjoyed the game for what it was, but not enough to put myself through the stress of getting the platinum.

Mxrz

So. As someone who really only liked Lightning & Fang in XIII (in my brief first go with it.) Is XIII-2 a bad idea? I completely tuned out on it after that first trailer made it seem like Lightning was going to get her lovelydoveyhoohahboomboom on with some dude with feathers. But the demo was surprisingly fun and seemed to have nothing to do with her.

DR2K

Banned
So. As someone who really only liked Lightning & Fang in XIII (in my brief first go with it.) Is XIII-2 a bad idea? I completely tuned out on it after that first trailer made it seem like Lightning was going to get her lovelydoveyhoohahboomboom on with some dude with feathers. But the demo was surprisingly fun and seemed to have nothing to do with her.

Yeah 13-2 is a much better game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The game is much easier than Final Fantasy XIII, and the cast of Noel and Serah is pretty good and better-developed than FFXIII's cast, imo. I had more fun with FFXIII, though, because of the added difficulty towards late-postgame.

Basically, both games complement each other very well. FFXIII has some things that FFXIII-2 doesn't, and FFXIII-2 has some stuff that FFXIII doesn't. It doesn't hurt to try it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I was originally going to post this first, but whatever. Double-posting.

Last time on Megaman Legends Gaiden, we got to read some of the best dialogue ever in a videogame.

Megaman now has to go to the carmine Mines because Reuben's dad is stuck behind a boulder and we need to throw a bomb at him so that he can get out.

...Wait. That doesn't sound like a good plan.

TRMH1.gif
: Logic? In my Final Fantasy? Get the hell outta here!

This isn't even your damn Final Fantasy! We'll get to you eventually, since the story in your Final Fantasy game is all sorts of stupid. Well. I guess we should roll along with whatever this game's telling us now. It'll make sense in the end. I think.

Let's go to a battlefield first. Reuben's dad can wait a little longer. It's not like he'll die or anything. Also, I guess that's the boulder that other guy was talking about? That thing is huuuuuge! You sure Arion isn't dead by now?

Anyway, battlefield. We kill monsters by building snowmen. Or something. And the third image describes how much fun I had with one battle. You win Thunder, which will be immensely helpful in the next few dungeons. It's also your first Wizard spell.

Bw1xU.png
n8bJj.png
BxAHQ.png
S6Cwm.png

Oh shit, Megaman; don't let the cave eat you!

OO8qq.png

So why do I call it the Carmine Mine? I wanted to call it something dumb, but check out the colour palette. It's so, uh, red. This actually makes sense, though, since red rock does come from lava and stuff. It also comes from dyed-red sandstone, shale, etc. when exposed to intense heat. Cool, huh?

epbAg.gif
Dungeon and Waterfall

Rc6jS.png

So this dungeon has small minipuzzles, but they aren't really puzzles but rather experimenting with different methods of one-way movement. The place is filled with conveyor belts which move unidirectionally, and also weighted buckets which also move unidirectionally. That means if you take the wrong path, you'll have to eventually circle around to get back to where you originally were (usually a fork). Outside of caverns, which you open up with your Grenades, enemies here aren't that plentiful, so it isn't a difficult dungeon. It's mostly boring.

That means I won't spend a lot of time talking about it. It's boring and very straightforward.

You do end up finding the Charm Claw in it, though.

EKqY1.png
MT6GM.png
7Ealy.png

The Charm Claw is a large improvement over the previous Claw, if you'll recall from the third screenshot (that I had to steal from an older post since I forgot to cap it here). The original Cat Claw only increased Attack by 2, and the added status effect attributes were only Poison and Paralyze. The Charm Claw's attack power is 37, and in addition to Poison and Paralyze, it inflicts Sleep, Confusion, and Blind to targets weak against those attributes.

Because, you know, when you attack someone with a claw, it'll make them want to fall asleep.

Moving on. Boss time. I forgot to cap the screen prior to the encounter, but here we go! We're fighting the genie from Aladdin whose current master probably wished him to be a cyclops.

Yew7m.png
EzLpb.png
SBTAC.png

We're fighting Jinn, which is a genie on the most basic of terms (you may also recognize the variant spelling Djinn, but both spellings are correct). They're supposed to be made of fire or smokeless flame. Um. Blizzard isn't its weakpoint, by the way. The Red Skeletons are weak against Blizzard (because being red and entirely composed of medulla ossium rubra = weak vs fire). It actually isn't weak against anything! So use whatever you want.

After the battle, we get TREASURE.

GLZoz.png

And we meet Reuben's dad... um. He doesn't seem that trapped to me.

vaEkf.png

You're telling me that he couldn't just go around that?

l5VJD.png
QaLLs.png

That's not standing back! You're even closer to the explosion!

dDTBk.png

So I guess he was fighting at some battlefield and then the boulder got him.

gWact.png
fYqSA.png
GAxud.png

Be careful because of all of the monsters we killed (which you couldn't kill), and then we threw a bomb in your vicinity even though you could have really gotten out of there yourself? Sure, I'll be careful!...

There honestly isn't any real reason to go back to Fireburg unless you want to stock up, but hell, let's see what happens when we go back. First let's go to the Sealed Temple, which the boulder unlocked for us. I also fought in the battlefield that turned up, which didn't give us anything cool.

MXdeN.png
NjIrh.png
Y3xSd.png

If 10 GP was for a cup of coffee in this game, and Megaman's allowance was just 2 GP a month, then damn, Dr. Light must've been cheap.

Anyway, this temple links to the Wintry Temple. That's how you get the chests in there. I guess they gave access to the Fireburg residents first and foremost, or the Fireburg residents built a tunnel to the Wintry Temple for warfare, and then they decided that during peace talks, they'll make it all pretty with a warp plate, but the Fireburg people took the good part of the Wintry Temple and left the Aquarians with nothing?

jKvaD.png

That's what I like to think. Now back to Fireburg.

2LYFa.png

Nice. NPC dialogue changes. Let's see what the man in the pit says.

xeya0.png

Oh, so I guess he's Generic NPC #35 or something now. Let's talk to Arion.

PLtHI.png

Arion must have some important info for us. Let's see what he has to say. The suspense is killing me! Maybe he'll give us free stuff!

sEAng.png

No fucking way! Who would think to put the Crystal of Fire in there?

Quality dialogue, folks.

Next stop: The Volcano.

HLo5E.png

Tovarisch

Hey Nomura...

pcdyO.jpg

vs.

Maria Germanova as Fairy in the play "The Blue Bird" (premiered on 30 September 1908 at Constantin Stanislavski's Moscow Art Theatre)
bz1r2.jpg

Chris R

I really wanted that too, but once I thought about it, it really wasn't worth it.
I maxed everyone out, and got around 67% of trophies I think...
Good enough.

I enjoyed the game for what it was, but not enough to put myself through the stress of getting the platinum.

There is no stress in getting the plat :p It just takes time. The thing that took me the longest was grinding out ingots to sell to be able to buy all the stuff I needed for the items trophy. Didn't mind it though, just threw on a podcast and grinded the single turtle over and over and over :|

TheSeks

I think I'm going to grind the gil on Sacrifices for Uranites and maybe 1-2 Adamites while maxing the last three party members Stage 9's and getting them all to max CP before I finish the dungeon. May make me go insane and take longer but fuck it, it's easy cash so long as they drop their items.

It's simply not worth it. I really wanted to do the XIII platinum but I couldn't bring myself to keep going. Just give up and feel better.

Or you could platinum the game and feel EVEN better. I could understand if you give up. I took almost a year break before plat'ing the game. ie: obtaining Treasure Hunter and Adamant Will

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I played the Japanese version of FFXIII for 65-ish hours (beating the game and getting some marks done) before I stopped and said I'd had enough. I figured that since I felt the game was quite average and probably wasn't really for me, I wouldn't bother to get the platinum... which was a shame because it's a Final Fantasy game, and I usually aim for completion in those.

Then flash forward to a few months later when I picked up the English version as I'd felt that I didn't give it a fair shake during my original playthrough, and I wanted to hear the English VA. Stopped playing around Chapter 13, because, again, I kind of had my fill of it. So... a few months later, when my friend was doing his platinum run (because he really loved FFXIII) and asked if I wanted to join in, I said sure. So we ended up having to discuss a bunch of strategies, time a bunch of animations, come up with a few spreadsheets, and planned for efficiency in battles.

I ended up playing the English version for 141 hours in total (hours and hours of unsuccessful Ingot hunting contributed to the high playtime). The part of late-postgame with Missions 51 (fighting it legit), 62, and 64 (again, fighting it legit), and also the slew of Gui battles, were the parts of the game where I legitimately started to enjoy the game. It would've been cool if the rest of the game made me feel that way. The only battles during the main game that made me feel that way were the Bart battles and that's about it. I enjoyed the Bart battles a lot, since they forced the player to take advantage of all the jobs at their disposal and to come up with something efficient and successful. The rest of the game? Not so much, for various reasons.

Doing the plat while discussing things with someone else who's doing the plat is kind of fun too, I guess.

But honestly, it isn't worth it. If anything, the last stretch to get the platinum with Treasure Hunter killed my interest in the game almost entirely. I don't really want to play it again for a few years. Edit: Um, that doesn't mean I dislike the game. I just don't want to play it again for a while.

CorvoSol

I beat Neochu for the first time tonight, and I gotta say, it's got me super pumped feeling. Like, first time I played the game, regular ol' Ochu schooled me, so I never bothered with the later quests. Now that I have the Acessory of the Gods, though, I just might try and play those before shoving my gunblade down Barthandelus' God-Moding throat.

That said, is anyone else still super pumped for Type-0? I'm dying to play the game, but I don't know how bad the language barrier would be.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That said, is anyone else still super pumped for Type-0? I'm dying to play the game, but I don't know how bad the language barrier would be.
After reading Bebpo's final impressions in the JP OT, and reading some of Dunan's comments about one theme in the narrative, I'm not looking forward to it that much anymore. It's disappointing since I was very interested in it based on its subject matter, art direction, and the RTS elements (which are apparently not good at all). Plus the second demo was an improvement over the first.

I'll still play it, but I'm not that super-hyped for it anymore.

TheSeks

Well, while not the most honorable I'm now able to kill Adamentoises with spamming Death.

2000-2400 magic on Vanille.
Fang/Light both haste shoe'd.

Sab(Van)/Syn(Fang)/Rav(Light)
Fang casts haste QUICKLY on Vanille. Summon. DO NOT GESALT MODE.

Legs destroyed.
Deshell... Lands?

Sab/Rav(Light)/Com(Fang)

Imperil... lands?

Stagger with Light/Fang while Vanille Death spams.

If Staggered? Should go down. If not retry. It'll generally go down in two battles for me now.

Got a Platinum Ingot while getting the Gneji Gloves from Mission 63. So that should give me the "honorable way" of killing them an easier time later. For now I spent that Ingot on Uranites which helped finish the accessories side. I've got ~15 or so Uranites it seems to use on weapons. After that I'm going to max 999,999CP and finish the dungeon so I can then start to farm turtles for Adamites, and a Trap and then finish the missions for Dark Matters and the Gold Watch/Hunters Friend.

TheSeks

What's the general opinion for ultimate weapons/Tier-3's in FFXIII? I know people regard Lionheart to Omega Weapon as the one for Lightning, and the Belladonna wand is regarded for Vanille.

So that makes one a Ravager and one a good mage (with a slant to Debuff)

I'm thinking: Fang - Commando
Hope-Dunno
Sazh-Ravager?
Snow-Sentinel or something?

But really, I want fast damage or stagger raising or stat buffs to do faster damage. Because once I'm done with the stone hunts, it's basically finishing Marks to 5 stars and finishing the game really.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
What's the general opinion for ultimate weapons/Tier-3's in FFXIII? I know people regard Lionheart to Omega Weapon as the one for Lightning, and the Belladonna wand is regarded for Vanille.

So that makes one a Ravager and one a good mage (with a slant to Debuff)

I'm thinking: Fang - Commando
Hope-Dunno
Sazh-Ravager?
Snow-Sentinel or something?

But really, I want fast damage or stagger raising or stat buffs to do faster damage. Because once I'm done with the stone hunts, it's basically finishing Marks to 5 stars and finishing the game really.
I make Sazh good at combos, so he generally spams Cold Blood a lot. You know about Random Instant Chain on Sazh and how he's essential to making the process of 5-starring some fights easy, right? That's part of why he's one of the best party members in the game despite his stats (the other part is his slow animation speeds). My main roles for Sazh towards the end of the plat were: Ravager (Cold Blood), Jammer (Daze), Enhancer (tripling up on buffs), and Medic (healing). I gave him the Antares Deluxes.

Fang is good at pretty much everything for me. I gave her the Pandoran Spear. People seem to like giving her the Taming Pole for the higher attack, but I don't like doing that since it comes with Stagger Lock. By the end, she'll just need one Kaiser Knuckles + Genji Glove to do a ton of damage, so she doesn't really need the higher attack.

Hope, lol. I dropped him towards the end of late-postgame. But Ravager, Medic, and Synergist sound about right. I gave him the Vidofnir since his primary function for me was buffing, but I know a lot of people give him the Hawkeye for the higher magic stat.

Snow is the best Sentinel, but don't be afraid to boost his attack. Generally, he'll be support and the main roles he'll be using are Sen/Com/Jam/Med. I ended up giving him the Umbra for the improved Fringeward ability (excellent for guarding against AoE attacks since Fringeward reduces the damage done to the party). But Paladin is really good too (Improved Guard). If you're using him as a Sentinel go for either of those two weapons. Feymark is one I just use when I don't need to bump his stats up since it'll screw up my Target Times.

TheSeks

I make Sazh good at combos, so he generally spams Cold Blood a lot. You know about Random Instant Chain on Sazh and how he's essential to making the process of 5-starring some fights easy, right? That's part of why he's one of the best party members in the game despite his stats (the other part is his slow animation speeds). My main roles for Sazh towards the end of the plat were: Ravager (Cold Blood), Jammer (Daze), Enhancer (tripling up on buffs), and Medic (healing). I gave him the Antares Deluxes.

Fang is good at pretty much everything for me. I gave her the Pandoran Spear. People seem to like giving her the Taming Pole for the higher attack, but I don't like doing that since it comes with Stagger Lock. By the end, she'll just need one Kaiser Knuckles + Genji Glove to do a ton of damage, so she doesn't really need the higher attack.

Hope, lol. I dropped him towards the end of late-postgame. But Ravager, Medic, and Synergist sound about right. I gave him the Vidofnir since his primary function for me was buffing, but I know a lot of people give him the Hawkeye for the higher magic stat.

Snow is the best Sentinel, but don't be afraid to boost his attack. Generally, he'll be support and the main roles he'll be using are Sen/Com/Jam/Med. I ended up giving him the Umbra for the improved Fringeward ability (excellent for guarding against AoE attacks since Fringeward reduces the damage done to the party). But Paladin is really good too (Improved Guard). If you're using him as a Sentinel go for either of those two weapons. Feymark is one I just use when I don't need to bump his stats up since it'll screw up my Target Times.

I'm thinking:

Light: Lionheart
Sazh: Rigels
Snow: Umbra
Hope: Otshirvani
Vanille: Belladonna Wand
Fang: Taming Pole

But I gotta get a trap and "dupe" it with a Dragoon or the Tigerclaw to get two extra to then "dupe" one to get the final three there-by having all 6 characters T3's off one Trap (IIRC) Then that leaves Adamants and Dark Matters to get.

Aeana

I'm on vacation, and now that I've got all of my compulsory gaming out of the way, I can get back to this. It looks like Heropon beat me to pretty much every game, but I've got a ways to go still.

After reading Bebpo's final impressions in the JP OT, and reading some of Dunan's comments about one theme in the narrative, I'm not looking forward to it that much anymore. It's disappointing since I was very interested in it based on its subject matter, art direction, and the RTS elements (which are apparently not good at all). Plus the second demo was an improvement over the first.

I'll still play it, but I'm not that super-hyped for it anymore.

Type-0 was a really big disappointment compared to what I wanted, and the game really fails some very basic game design stuff which makes it frustrating to play in the later stages as well. I still listed it on my game of the year list last year, and it's worth playing, but it's one of those things you should definitely temper your expectations for.

TheSeks

Adamantoise or Adamantortoise for Ingot and Trap farming: Either/or or both? :/

Maxed my Stage 9 and 999999CP. I gotta finish the dungeon but I want one to drop an Ingot so I can get the last 3-4 Uranites I need before farming for MORE Ingots for Adamans and Traps and Dark Matters. :/

TheSeks

OMG YES. I got a Trap to drop off a Adamantortoise. HOORAY! Now I just need Ingots but first I gotta finish these Uranites. >_<

Heropon

After I don't know how many time, I'm able to continue this.

ragZe.png
RPMJG.png

I left Squall sleeping after a looong day. Now that they're seeds, the Garden tasks Squall and friends with their first mission.

Lxn0T.png
v5I32.png

Cid is very nice and gives us a magic lamp. My wishes will come true, specially that one in which I wish everyone wasn't so meddlesome. Thanks to one of Siren's abilities we can get Curagas pretty soon without playing Triple Triad buying tents.

Wa0aU.png
XBcyb.png

But the money isn't infinite and I want to get more. I do some exams to increase the pay and buy more tents. With some Curagas at hand, I want to rub the Lamp and an evil spirit appears.

5MHLU.png
lYjpT.png

The trick is to draw Gravity from him and use it as the G.F. has tons of HP. At last, Diablos falls and Quetzacotl learns the skill that lets us transform cards into items. I won't play Triple Triad, so I'll only get them from monsters and gifts, but that's enough.

gCpet.png

I should have called it DiabloIII, but well...

Zagsy.png
g2kgs.png

The job is in another continent and they go by train. I suppose that's more popular than airplanes in this world. While they're enjoying their journey, they faint/sleep for some unknown reasons.

ILuOd.png
Mgr6W.png

They dream of some strange soldiers in the Timber war that escape from their duties so they can drink and see a piano show. They also like to break havoc in the city.

pxmtv.png
ck88i.png

Laguna, the "leader" of the group, tries to entice the piano woman but a leg cramp frustrates his evil plans.

cjBBH.png
H6Wdr.png

The piano woman has bad taste and invites Laguna to her room. There he ends talking all the night. End of the dream sequence.

sLNTG.png
rXdtX.png

At last, the three seeds get to Timber. I want to answer about moogles, but Cid said something about owls, so I'll answer the third option. The answer is correct and we can go to the "rebel's" hideout, another train.

f0ryz.png
uCiLA.png

We meet with the all the members of the Timber Owls. The lady that wanted attention last night is one of them.

kYCjQ.png
UF3Ba.png

We can change her name and her dog's too. I'm a nice person and I decide that the default ones are OK, but I could have damaged their dignity pretty easily.

eETdX.png
m5n7D.png

The rebels explain the mission with lots of colors and I end up dizzy. Luckily, the actual mission is pretty streamlined. It's time to kidnap Galbadia's president.

axuQM.png
wMeOk.png

After some password inputs and guard evasion, the president is ours and we can talk with him.

ufGL7.png
SDbO8.png

This guy behaves strangely and dares to fight our mighty seeds. It seems that he's a doppelganger. Thanks to Zell's increased HP (Curaga junction) he can do lots of "Limits" without being in danger.

SJy2V.png
zCjVp.png

The double transforms into some kind of zombie, and uses status-inducing spells. Thanks to him carrying Esunas we can revert that situation easily.

56WKK.png
1FJzJ.png

Zells takes care of him and everyone's happy.

ZXnaL.png

After the failure of this mission, the team discovers the president real whereabouts and they try to see him in the broadcasting station, but that will be in another post.

Chris R

Maxed my Stage 9 and 999999CP. I gotta finish the dungeon but I want one to drop an Ingot so I can get the last 3-4 Uranites I need before farming for MORE Ingots for Adamans and Traps and Dark Matters. :/

I farmed the single Adamantoise in Eden. Easy to reset (run towards the end of the stage and TOUCH the door to the next hallway but don't open it) and easy to kill with my setup of Fang/Vanille/Lightning

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm thinking:

Light: Lionheart
Sazh: Rigels
Snow: Umbra
Hope: Otshirvani
Vanille: Belladonna Wand
Fang: Taming Pole

But I gotta get a trap and "dupe" it with a Dragoon or the Tigerclaw to get two extra to then "dupe" one to get the final three there-by having all 6 characters T3's off one Trap (IIRC) Then that leaves Adamants and Dark Matters to get.
Sounds good. Honestly, there isn't really 'best' weapon because they're all suited for however you want to use the characters. So it basically looks like you're going for power, while I focused more on buffs and chaining. There isn't a 'wrong' way to level up the weapons since you can just turn any of them into the ultimate weapon if you change your mind.

Go for the Adamantoise. The tortoises aren't worth it, and you have to run away and then run back for them to respawn. Good idea to farm the one in Eden since you can just run to the door, then run back and it'll be there again. Plus, again, best to do the 5-star missions when you have lower tier weapons. Tier-3 weapons and stat boosts (things that boost your STR and MAG) will decrease your target time, and you don't want that to happen. Thus it's best to activate the Guis anyway and just farm from the 'toise in Eden.

If your game's anything like mine, you'll get more Dark Matters and Gold Nuggets, more often than Traps and Ingots. I ended up selling the excess Dark Matters and all the Gold Nuggets to make up the monetary difference and just duped the trophy by creating an extra save and selling off most of my inventory.

Type-0 was a really big disappointment compared to what I wanted, and the game really fails some very basic game design stuff which makes it frustrating to play in the later stages as well. I still listed it on my game of the year list last year, and it's worth playing, but it's one of those things you should definitely temper your expectations for.
I heard the quests aren't that great, and that the town is a little underwhelming since you mostly go there for quests. Getting EXP while the PSP is in sleep mode seems interesting, but I heard it wasn't a substantial amount.

Did you get the feeling that the game was more primed for multiplayer as opposed to single player? I got that sense from the first demo.

TheSeks

OH MY GOD. Two Particle Accelerator's equal only a level at most on the tier 3 weapons? WTF. What is the best gil and exp for the gil way to jump these to 100 so I can dupe these two Traps and put them on the weapons I want (I'll level those later, I got all the Uranites but put them on hold to level these up to get Light's Omega)

Chris R

OH MY GOD. Two Particle Accelerator's equal only a level at most on the tier 3 weapons? WTF. What is the best gil and exp for the gil way to jump these to 100 so I can dupe these two Traps and put them on the weapons I want (I'll level those later, I got all the Uranites but put them on hold to level these up to get Light's Omega)

I'll try to find the spreadsheet I used to determine what items I needed to buy to level up stuff. Used to have it linked in an email but I might have deleted it after I got my Plat.

edit: This isn't it, but it seems like it will work. http://concubidated.com/ffxiii/ I had a spreadsheet so I knew the total number of items I needed to buy to just do the entire thing at once and then could work back to the number of ingots I needed.

TheSeks

197 particle accelerators required!? Are you out of your mind Square!?

Oh my god. I guess I'm farming turtles some more and I'm going to grind the cash for these Uranite weapons and then finish the dungeon to start farming the turtles and finishing the missions I guess.

Chris R

197 particle accelerators required!? Are you out of your mind Square!?

Oh my god. I guess I'm farming turtles some more and I'm going to grind the cash for these Uranite weapons and then finish the dungeon to start farming the turtles and finishing the missions I guess.

I think I remember needing like 63 ingots to buy all of the Ultracompact Reactors I needed, but when you are able to kill the turtles without summons and quickly it isn't too bad. Like I said, I threw on a podcast or two and just mindlessly killed stuff for a few hours.

MechaX

Oh God, when I realized that I still had to finish XIII on my PS3 (all my post-game save data is on my 360 version) I decided to read the past couple pages of the XIII discussion. I completely forgot about how the post-game revolves around giant turtle genocide.

I'm already having a bitch of a time getting certain monsters in XIII-2 due to abysmal drop rates, and I don't even want to know if I want to go through Trapezohedron grinding for a second time in my life.

Luthos

There is no stress in getting the plat :p It just takes time. The thing that took me the longest was grinding out ingots to sell to be able to buy all the stuff I needed for the items trophy. Didn't mind it though, just threw on a podcast and grinded the single turtle over and over and over :|

Yea I don't really mind stuff like that.

In fact, I kinda like getting those points in RPGs where you figure out the best place to grind, and I just throw on some music and get lost in the grind.

Heropon

1Jos7.png
RRhJg.png

In the way to the station, the party finds a group of thief soldiers. After an easy battle, they can give back a card to a person that blocks the path.

NRSIV.png
L39J6.png

After Squall scolds Rinoa for making stupid plans, they discover the objetive for Dollet's invasion and the president's travel to Timber: a transmission.

BjzjV.png
6VbAt.png

The president declares his insane intentions and announces that a witch will become his goodwill embassador. Peace and love for all &#9829;. But Seifer interrupts the show.

I2j1a.png
vnFeP.png

After a tense situation, the witch begins her work and rescues the president. All hail the witch.

9DheU.png
DPvS6.png

The group and Quistis have to hide in a house. Squall is optimistic and thinks that Seifer could be dead (One can hope). Inside, they decide that they have to go to the Galbadia Garden.

6jbx7.png
pIF7B.png

It's time to use the train again.

PkPxe.png
7SxA1.png

The train stops in the middle of nowhere and the group has to go through a forest. Squall, Selphie and Quistis faint, that only means that it's Laguna time again. But that will be in another post.

TheSeks

Chin Chin Pom Pom just doesn't have the same feeling as Train Train, Take us Away. :(

Heropon

2A3hQ.png
1DW8w.png

After Selphie was wondering where the train would go, it's time for more Laguna misadventures. He and his cohorts are in some ruins in Centra. Laguna tries to say an expression like "Where there's smoke..." but fails miserably and says halo instead of "humo" (smoke). Kiros and Ward mention how he got half the word mispelled. This ruins are custodied by some Esthar soldiers, and they have to fight!

dieTC.png
qr61F.png

After some easy battles, Laguna keeps getting leg cramps. I was supposed to do something with this rock, but I don't know if there's any reward. I pass...

O5ExY.png
eiqRQ.png

Ambushed! (FFII battle theme) Those soldiers don't count with Laguna's heroism and die miserably.

wGoxE.png
lXYoN.png

But the group encounters at the end a soldier that nearly kills them. That bastard has caused Ward muteness.

7t9mh.png

Laguna throws friends off a cliff, and he is so klutz that falls. Shameful.

HiYaZ.png
5cqkQ.png

The sequence ends and the heroes get to the Galbadia Garden. It's red, unlike the other garden, that is blue, like the opposing teams in online games. Coincidence? I don't think so.

qvDmf.png
268t3.png

The group has to wait in a room for the news about Seifer's execution (yay!). Everyone's sad. They didn't like him but he wasn't the worst person in the world after all. Squall gives the news to Fujin and Raijin, but they are in the refusal phase and don't believe it.

vrfSU.png
7xjxd.png

It's time for another mission, killing the witch. They need a sniper to do it, and a new party member appears that fills that role: The womanizer (hahaha) Irvine.

TewDX.png
YsTqC.png

He wants the ladies for himself and I won't allow it. Sorry Quistis, but I need a person with firm hand to go with him.

8Ciyu.png
btb1i.png

After going in another train, the party reaches Paris Deling.

Is62E.png
G0CSq.png

The group has to talk with a General about the mission, but a stupid guard interrupts the mission and we have to do something in some nearby ruins.

JOQjt.png
Gua8L.png

They want me to say them this sword's number, but I'll get this place's G.F. before. The trick is to go to the right in every cross (going counterclockwise). First we find Seclet the minotaur.

ChZ6f.png
m3Zeh.png

It has a regen effect when he's on the ground. Float avoids this annoyance. The rest of the fight is to destroy it with some attacks.

ImYpK.png
3nwcY.png

We activate all the things we find going counterclockwise...

gTyCQ.png
cuLCz.png

When we reach the cross with the sword, we can go straight from the start and find this bridge.

eyiwv.png
x7ekX.png

We find the minotaur brothers in this room. The strategy is the same as before.

hmwUk.png
lHYff.png

And G.F adquired after their defeat! They even come with some cards!

SXYtc.png

We get the number of the student, and so we can return to the City of Light.

To be continued...

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Is FF7 as long as FF9? 'cause FF9 seems longer than fuck...

Don't get me wrong though, I'm really enjoying the game so far, more than I thought I would honestly. But I'm itching to get into my backlog so bad that it's starting to feel cumbersome. =/

I really hope ff7 isn't as long or longer. I might have to pass...

Heropon

Is FF7 as long as FF9? 'cause FF9 seems longer than fuck...

Don't get me wrong though, I'm really enjoying the game so far, more than I thought I would honestly. But I'm itching to get into my backlog so bad that it's starting to feel cumbersome. =/

I really hope ff7 isn't as long or longer. I might have to pass...

If I were going by memory I'd say that they're about the same length, but it seems that FFIX can be completed in under 12 hours so FFVII must be even longer.

Anyway, in my first try it took me more time to go through VII, but I was younger than when I finished IX.

Top Bottom