• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Being able to alleviate an entire screen during sports games(play calling, team management, etc) sounds like a big deal for me. Not sure if it will matter to the masses though. I would rather have the Wiimote/Nunchuck controller if I had to choose though. Soccer was just too damn good with it, and this is coming from a non-sports fan.

What does that have to do with the question I asked?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Kinda disappointing we'll get to see some games before the press conference, actually. :p Ubisoft (maybe others), yeah, but still would have been great to be bombarded with information for an hour and then in the time after the conference online.

Vinci

Danish

He's suggesting that he imagines EA would like to showcase how the Wii U controller provides new gameplay opportunities with their sports franchises... at their own showcase, most likely. At least that's what I got from it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The content should be there. It will boil down to execution. If executed right 2006 should become #2 in the Nintendo E3 rankings.

To top 2006, Wii U would need:

- Some kind of Zelda game or port
- A new Mario that looks revolutionarily on-par with Mario Galaxy
- A new, exclusive third-party FPS game
- A mainline Metroid (Prime) game
- A great-looking exclusive Sonic game
- A CG clip of an exclusive Final Fantasy (Crystal Chronicles) game
- A Dragon Quest (spinoff) game
- A new Excite (Truck) game
- Four new first-party IPs (Disaster, Wii Sports, Wii Music, Project HAMMER)
- A Rayman (spinoff) game
- A new Smash trailer*

(Parentheses denote 2006-specific modifier.)

It would also need these for 3DS:

- A new Yoshi's Island game
- A new, online-enabled Star Fox game

All to be shown off during the conference. So that's two we know of. If Killer Freaks counts as an exclusive FPS, then three. Will the rest make an appearance? In order for it to top 2006, they'll have to.

*Smash wasn't shown off during the conference, of course, but it should at least make an appearance at E3 for it to even come close to 2006.

Nothing at all, I just thought about it when you mentioned EA lol. Just a side note to your comment.

He's suggesting that he imagines EA would like to showcase how the Wii U controller provides new gameplay opportunities with their sports franchises... at their own showcase, most likely. At least that's what I got from it.

Pretty much.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Let's just talk first party stuff.

- A new, exclusive FPS game
- A Metroid (Prime) game
- A new Smash trailer*

All to be shown off during the conference. So that's two we know of. Will the rest make an appearance? In order for it to top 2006, they'll have to.

*Smash wasn't shown off during the conference, of course, but it should at least make an appearance at E3 for it to even come close to 2006.

Er, I don't think beating 2006 means copying the exact games. I mean what if a new Zelda and Metroid is announced for 3DS? Does that mean it was worse than 2006?

Roo

So, do you think the NDA ends on June 4th and we may hear more, or does Ubisoft have exclusive permission?

Thanks btw.

Well, there are a lot of possibilities.
Like someone else said, maybe Nintendo managed to get a lot of third party games that
they will allow companies to show them at their respective conferences.

Big companies like EA, Ubisoft, SE and so on will be able to talk and show their games
but others will likely wait for Nintendo's own conference to do so.

In my perfect world, Nintendo will talk about the system and ONLY first party games with a small third party sizzle reel/summary for new and already announced games.

edit: cuz BY2K says so! :p
edit 2: yes, they did!!!!!

I hope they do a 55 minute walkthrough of Pikmin, a 1 minute demo of Zelda Pinball 3DS, and then a 4 minute trailer with everything else.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Er, I don't think beating 2006 means copying the exact games. I mean what if a new Zelda and Metroid is announced for 3DS? Does that mean it was worse than 2006?

Oh I know, I'm just saying, if it doesn't have those games, it's going to need something to make up for them. And that's a tall bill.

If the next Mario isn't there or it doesn't look as mindblowing as Galaxy did then that's already a huge, huge blow. Not to mention Metroid isn't likely to make a Wii U appearance, Smash is probably way too far off (20% chance of a CG trailer IMO), and it's highly, highly unlikely there will be a new, mainline Zelda game too.

I mean, that's the big four. And I have big doubts about any of them making an appearance, let alone all of them.

Nobody should feel bad, 2006 was just too good. I've always doubted it would ever hit those heights again, and that's likely a prediction that will come true for this year as well.

As for Zelda/Metroid 3DS, I would say so. I mean, the Zelda DS games weren't anything to get hyped over like a console game, and while a true handheld Metroid game would be great (heck, I'd prefer it over a new console entry), it wouldn't make as big a wave. There was a reason the DS got about 10 minutes in 2006.

Being able to alleviate an entire screen during sports games(play calling, team management, etc) sounds like a big deal for me. Not sure if it will matter to the masses though. I would rather have the Wiimote/Nunchuck controller if I had to choose though. Soccer was just too damn good with it, and this is coming from a non-sports fan.

Yeah, basically the main reason I'd like to see 2 controller support is for sports games. Almost every single one can benefit from play calling on a separate subscreen. Even faster paced ones like hockey or basketball.

Yep. Day before, and before Sony's.

I'm going to make a prediction that if Madden is talked about, but not heavily discussed, if at all, for Wii U then Madden will will be discussed at Nintendo's presser showing two Upad play.

- A new, exclusive third-party FPS game
- A mainline Metroid (Prime) game
- A new Smash trailer*

All to be shown off during the conference. So that's two we know of. If Killer Freaks counts as an exclusive FPS, then three. Will the rest make an appearance? In order for it to top 2006, they'll have to.

I still stand by my opinion even after seeing your requirements.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Uuuh... for a conference to beat another one it doesn't need to be a copy/paste.

And I'm still saying this year has the potential to beat 2006.

japtor

Been posted yet? Flush if old.

“If I didn’t have a strict gag order on me, I’d love to talk about all the great features that we have, but what I can tell you is that it’s a next generation platform, and you should keep your eyes open. We’ll obviously be using the unique controller that it has to its utmost potential, but speaking to specific features or tech effects… well, that’s in Nintendo’s playground right now. And I know that they have plans for E3.” - Jeremy Greiner, Creative Manager at Vigil Games

source
Thought the latter part there was more interesting than the part you bolded, "speaking to specific features or tech effects… well, that’s in Nintendo’s playground right now." Wonder if he could be referring to the rumored mystery hardware effects like lighting and stuff.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Uuuh... for a conference to beat another one it doesn't need to be a copy/paste.

That isn't what I implied.

But I'll just say this: New mainline, console entries of Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and Smash are required for it to match 2006. All of them. Pikmin is nice, DQ10 is nice, Rayman is nice. All of these things are nice, but the rest of the first and third party lineup combined doesn't compared to the hype worthy-ness of those four.

And E3 2006 had all of them.

And I'm still saying this year has the potential to beat 2006.

That's great. So did last year's.

Great. If you're right, everyone wins.

If you're wrong, I'm going to call you out so hard though. :p

I'm game. :)

Like I said I believe poor execution will be the only thing keeping it from beating 2006.

EDIT: I wasn't really expecting much from last year's E3. It lived up to my expectations for the most part.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So I'm watching the old E3 conferences just to warm up. I'm right now at the 2008 conference.

Good Lord, this is so hilariously bad. I don't know what in the world was Nintendo thinking.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Oh I know, I'm just saying, if it doesn't have those games, it's going to need something to make up for them. And that's a tall bill.

If the next Mario isn't there or it doesn't look as mindblowing as Galaxy did then that's already a huge, huge blow. Not to mention Metroid isn't likely to make a Wii U appearance, Smash is probably way too far off (20% chance of a CG trailer IMO), and it's highly, highly unlikely there will be a new, mainline Zelda game too.

I mean, that's the big four. And I have big doubts about any of them making an appearance, let alone all of them.

Nobody should feel bad, 2006 was just too good. I've always doubted it would ever hit those heights again, and that's likely a prediction that will come true for this year as well.

As for Zelda/Metroid 3DS, I would say so. I mean, the Zelda DS games weren't anything to get hyped over like a console game, and while a true handheld Metroid game would be great (heck, I'd prefer it over a new console entry), it wouldn't make as big a wave. There was a reason the DS got about 10 minutes in 2006.

Okay, I thought that's what you meant but you worded it so that it sounds like you were saying if there weren't these exact games it wouldn't be as good. :p

And I think 2010 may have beat out 2006. It wasn't as flashy, but for content it was amazing. Hype for 3DS was firing at all cylinders, and a new DKC and Kirby game was amazing, not to mention the (botched) premier of SS and the reveal of Kid Icarus. Game after amazing game.

So I'm watching the old E3 conferences just to warm up. I'm right now at the 2008 conference.

Good Lord, this is so hilariously bad. I don't know what in the world was Nintendo thinking.

It was Cammie. She completely misread what the audience would want. I liked Cammie after that, but she completely fucked up in 2008.

Nibel

You won't see Smash and you won't see Zelda at that conference

Let's just wait and see how everything plays out and then rank the conferences instead of posting lists of requirements - if even half of that is true it would be the best E3 conference ever.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Okay, I thought that's what you meant but you worded it so that it sounds like you were saying if there weren't these exact games it wouldn't be as good. :p

And I think 2010 may have beat out 2006. It wasn't as flashy, but for content it was amazing. Hype for 3DS was firing at all cylinders, and a new DKC and Kirby game was amazing, not to mention the (botched) premier of SS and the reveal of Kid Icarus. Game after amazing game.

2010 was amazing, but not quite 2006 levels IMO. Something about a new home console, it's hard to compare. In terms of content I might have to give a slight, slight edge to 2010, but then again, maybe not. 2010 didn't have Galaxy or Smash or MP3.

Then personally, for me, it won't beat 2006. That's just how I feel, and I know most people here feel similarly but won't say it because they want 2012 to be 2006. They may even crown 2012 right after it's done. But when the dust settles, 2006 will still be on the throne.

2010 got reasonably close to 2006 IMO, but '06 is still #1. Hoping this year is roughly of the same caliber.

Agreed.

That isn't what I implied.

But I'll just say this: New mainline, console entries of Zelda, Mario, Metroid, and Smash are required for it to match 2006. All of them. Pikmin is nice, DQ10 is nice, Rayman is nice. All of these things are nice, but the rest of the first and third party lineup combined doesn't compared to the hype worthy-ness of those four.

And E3 2006 had all of them.

If Pikmin sells better and scores better than Other M, can we change the holy trinity to Zelda, Mario, and Pikmin? :)

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
2010 wasn't the end all and be all, imo.

One, we pretty much new all about the 3D hardware.

Two, the show floor stuff didn't have a whole lot to go around.

2001 and 2002 are the ones to beat. In 2001, they had Luigi's Mansion, Wave Rave, Rogue Leader, Pikmin, Eternal Darkness, Smash Bros., SFA... all playable. In 2002 they had Wind Waker, Sunshine and Metroid... all planned to release by Christmas and looking awesome.

2006 was held back by the standard definishness of it all, and the fact that Red Steele was the only interesting 3rd party game to speak of.

----

Last Year was not bad either...

5810728221_b17b3a9c56_z.jpg

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
No it didn't. The console was a year and a half out at 2011. There was NO potential to out-do 2006. 2005, maybe.

Say what you want but the potential was there to do something mindblowing. Just like this year. We didn't know how far out the Wii U was back then, so in our hype-addled minds we anticipated a recapturing of 2006. Just like we are now.

Nibel

I want E3 2012 to be E3 2012 and nothing else - it will be a great show. They reveal a new platform, it doesn't any more exciting for me.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
2010 was amazing, but not quite 2006 levels IMO. Something about a new home console, it's hard to compare. In terms of content I might have to give a slight, slight edge to 2010, but then again, maybe not. 2010 didn't have Galaxy or Smash or MP3.

If we're talking about press conferences, 2006 didn't have Smash either. If we are talking about extended E3 info, 2010 gave us LoZ: OOT 3D, Star Fox 63 3D, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, etc. God that was awesome.

Then personally, for me, it won't beat 2006. That's just how I feel, and I know most people here feel similarly but won't say it because they want 2012 to be 2006. They may even crown 2012 right after it's done. But when the dust settles, 2006 will still be on the throne.

I'll take a new Retro IP over Smash Brothers: This Time with Actual Online Play (We Promise!) and Zelda Kajillion any day of the week, thank you very much.

Anth0ny

Let's just wait and see how everything plays out and then rank the conferences instead of posting lists of requirements - if even half of that is true it would be the best E3 conference ever.

Zelda 3DS is happening.

I think the conference will be good, but there is no way in hell it's living up to the hype of six fucking speculation threads dating back to E3 2011.

MisterHero

Lol, I remember in 2006 before the controller reveal, everyone was expecting Revolution to have a touch interface.

Finally, the rumors are true!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom