• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I do think we will get a new IP, not but not necessarily character based. Something along the lines of a Brain Training, Nintendogs, or Wii Sports.

GCX

Being realistic, I say the chances are low. Making a brand new character property is something Nintendo seems to be very careful about and we've had no hints one is in the process. If memory serves, with Pikmin we had whispers about a new game concept and universe well before it was shown off.
There is a Miyamoto interview from 2010 where he says he is planning to introduce "a new character IP" in 2011 because it's already been 10 years since Pikmin. That project could've been moved to WiiU since we didn't hear about it last year.

I think chances are pretty good if you like $7 eShop games.

Honestly, i'd be happy with Nintendo working on a downloadable title. Those games allow devs to do a lot of experimenting that they might not try in a retail game. Having an internally developed downloadable game released at launch would be the best way to kick off downloadable games on the Wii U.

Being realistic, I say the chances are low. Making a brand new character property is something Nintendo seems to be very careful about and we've had no hints one is in the process. If memory serves, with Pikmin we had whispers about a new game concept and universe well before it was shown off.

You're probably right, a downloadable game like Freezie KO suggested might be a way for them to get around that. They could make a new IP without committing to trying to turn it into some new character property.

Instro

Only if WiiU offers "DX11 like" features. DX11 100% Microsoft.

I wouldn´t get my hopes up though. We will get a 100% port with some pad functionality. The console just launches and i guess most devs want to see how their game does first, before they put more money into WiiU development

Of course, but if the WiiU is modern hardware it should be using recent versions of OpenGL or w.e Nintendo uses, so its not like they couldn't do those same effects. The fact that they are spending time to upgrade the PC version might help the Wii U's case for upgrades as well.

Of course, but if the WiiU is modern hardware it should be using recent versions of OpenGL or w.e Nintendo uses, so its not like they couldn't do those same effects. The fact that they are spending time to upgrade the PC version might help the Wii U's case for upgrades as well.

Given that Call of Duty is a super high budget title I'd say the chances of the Wii U version getting some graphical upgrades compared to the other titles is decent.

AniHawk

Hopefully very small.

man how great would it be if they devoted 30 minutes of the conference to bw2 to celebrate pokemon's 16th birthday extravaganza. they could gather developer videos from kojima, levine, and mikami all talking about where they were in 1996 and an on-stage demo by shigesato itoi while bill trinen explained what was happening on screen. afterwards, iwata could drop the bombshell that pokemon black and white 2 will be compatible with the 3ds stand. and then reggie would announce that everyone in attendance at the show that day would receive a free pokemon black and white 2 stress relief toy in their press kit bag things at the end of the conference. will it be black or white? you'll have to find out for yourself!

tolkir

Looking back, Wii only had 27 titles palyable on the show floor:

..with 8 of those being demos from Wii Play, Sports, Music. I hope Wii U can top that with third party games alone.

---

edit. off the top of my head...

1. Killer Freaks
2. Batman
3. Lego City
4. Darksiders 2
5. Project Cars
6. Rayman Legends
7. Blops2
8. Some Tom Clancy game
9. Assasin's Creed 3
10. Metro Last Light
11. ..??...

11. Aliens: Colonial Marines
12. Just Dance U
13. Dragon Quest X
14. Ea Sports Games
15. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
16. Tekken
17. Castlevania: LoS 2
18. Avengers
19. Sonic & All-Stars Racing 2
20. Dirt

I don't remember anymore.

Ryoku

11. Aliens: Colonial Marines
12. Just Dance U
13. Dragon Quest X
14. Ea Sports Games
15. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
16. Tekken
17. Castlevania: LoS 2
18. Avengers
19. Sonic & All-Stars Racing 2
20. Dirt

I don't remember anymore.

21: Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Oddduck

Any updates today? I've been out having a social life for once :p

Just some minor rumors from ideaman.

- Third-parties studios are currently receiving Wii U "Blu-ray" readers, writers, and discs
- demos at E3 are to be on discs, as per Nintendo's requests
- there was a delay in the shipping of this equipment, which had devs waiting a few weeks
- they didn't came with the latest dev kits
- the latest dev kits still have the disc drive separate
- No confirmation nor denial of 50GB discs capacity
- Wii U units at E3 2012 will include optical drives
- Wii U games were developed on dev kits linked to a host pc (running the SDK, the development tools, etc.)
- it's possible the access/loading times were emulated
- Wii U dev kit sizes have stayed mostly the same during development
- future dev kit versions may have the disc drive included in the hardware

Also, Rich from IGN posted randomly on his twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/RichIGN

"Retreated to the Breaking Bad meeting room to write some top secret things. ZOMGZ seeeeeekrits."

And then wrote

"The good news keeps on rolling in. Yes. Yes. Yes."

thefro

So, what are the chances that we'll see a new IP from one of Nintendo's Japanese studios? I'm not talking about a new Wii __ type game, but something more along the lines of a platformer, action or adventure game. I think the general speculation is that Retro are working on a new IP, so it seems like we'll see one from their biggest Western studio.

Monolith Soft's game will be a new IP, I believe.

Linkhero1

Just some minor rumors from ideaman.

- Third-parties studios are currently receiving Wii U "Blu-ray" readers, writers, and discs
- demos at E3 are to be on discs, as per Nintendo's requests
- there was a delay in the shipping of this equipment, which had devs waiting a few weeks
- they didn't came with the latest dev kits
- the latest dev kits still have the disc drive separate
- No confirmation nor denial of 50GB discs capacity
- Wii U units at E3 2012 will include optical drives
- Wii U games were developed on dev kits linked to a host pc (running the SDK, the development tools, etc.)
- it's possible the access/loading times were emulated
- Wii U dev kit sizes have stayed mostly the same during development
- future dev kit versions may have the disc drive included in the hardware

Also, Rich from IGN posted randomly on his twitter

https://twitter.com/#!/RichIGN

"Retreated to the Breaking Bad meeting room to write some top secret things. ZOMGZ seeeeeekrits."

And then wrote

"The good news keeps on rolling in. Yes. Yes. Yes."

Thanks for the quick update Oddduck. Sounds interesting. Sorry for my ignorance, but is Rich part of the Nintendo team at IGN? If so then I'm even more excited now. I doubt it's a first party title, but it sounds interesting.

Edit: Interesting comments by Vigil. Can't wait to see what they're referring to. Sounds like Nintendo still has a couple of awesome features up their sleeves.

Oddduck

Thanks for the quick update Oddduck. Sounds interesting. Sorry for my ignorance, but is Rich part of the Nintendo team at IGN? If so then I'm even more excited now. I doubt it's a first party title, but it sounds interesting.

Yeah he's the top editor for Nintendo news on IGN. Once in a random while he'll write something non nintendo related, but almost everything he does is Nintendo related.

Also Vigil (Darksiders 2 team) said:

“If I didn’t have a strict gag order on me, I’d love to talk about all the great features that we have, but what I can tell you is that it’s a next generation platform, and you should keep your eyes open. We’ll obviously be using the unique controller that it has to its utmost potential, but speaking to specific features or tech effects… well, that’s in Nintendo’s playground right now. And I know that they have plans for E3.” - Jeremy Greiner, Creative Manager at Vigil Games

Linkhero1

Yeah he's the top editor for Nintendo news on IGN. Once in a random while he'll write something non nintendo related, but almost everything he does is Nintendo related.

Also Vigil (Darksiders 2 team) said:

“If I didn’t have a strict gag order on me, I’d love to talk about all the great features that we have, but what I can tell you is that it’s a next generation platform, and you should keep your eyes open. We’ll obviously be using the unique controller that it has to its utmost potential, but speaking to specific features or tech effects… well, that’s in Nintendo’s playground right now. And I know that they have plans for E3.” - Jeremy Greiner, Creative Manager at Vigil Games

I'm assuming it's a third party game considering Nintendo is usually tight-lipped about their first party content. Could be some awesome exclusive content or some ports people didn't expect to see on the Wii U. Either way, I'm excited to see what's in store for us within the next few weeks.

It also has the original character model, which I think I ultimately prefer to the mildly reactionary final one. At the very least I'd have probably preferred it to lobster pajamas.

What!? Lobster PJ Link was awesome! One of my favorite parts of WW. You speak madness!

Also, less than two weeks already? June 5th will be here and gone before we know it. Exciting!

AniHawk

what I can tell you is that it’s a next generation platform

being serious for a moment, this is the second time i've heard this from a wii u developer. i wonder if part of nintendo's gag order is, 'hey don't talk about the wii u, but if you have to talk about the wii u, you have to stress that it's a next generation console.'

Oddduck

being serious for a moment, this is the second time i've heard this from a wii u developer. i wonder if part of nintendo's gag order is, 'hey don't talk about the wii u, but if you have to talk about the wii u, you have to stress that it's a next generation console.'

lol yeah, pretty much.

I'll never forget when Wii was being revealed, and Nintendo would stress "This is not a next gen console. "

http://www.gamespot.com/news/iwata-nintendo-is-not-working-on-a-next-generation-console-6152265
""Nintendo is not working on a next-generation console," said Nintendo president Satoru Iwata in an interview with Japanese news service Nikkei Business' Tech On! spinoff. "'Next-generation' implies that the console is an extension of previous installments. We believe that extending our current line will not lead to larger markets and could possibly even lead to smaller markets."

Boy how times have changed. Now their actually cool with calling their next console "next gen".

MDX

I imagine a lot of jaw dropping and paralyzed fingers come E3.
I mean just layers upon layers of good news.

Linkhero1

lol yeah, pretty much.

I'll never forget when Wii was being revealed, and Nintendo would stress "This is not a next gen console. "

http://www.gamespot.com/news/iwata-nintendo-is-not-working-on-a-next-generation-console-6152265

Boy how times have changed. Now their actually cool with calling a console "next gen".

Well compared to the Wii, the Wii U is "next gen".

I imagine a lot of jaw dropping and paralyzed fingers come E3.
I mean just layers upon layers of good news.

I hope so. E3 2010 was amazing in terms of announcements.

Izick

I still think games will clearly run or look better though, even at first. Even if it's small noticeable stuff, like a few better textures or a stabler framerate. I'm still excited.

MDX

lol yeah, pretty much.

Boy how times have changed. Now their actually cool with calling their next console "next gen".

Thats because the WiiU is an extension of the Wii in terms of motion controls, in name, and possibly in philosophy and design. Nintendo have always stated they would enter the HD market when the penetration of HDTV was significant.

"When Harry Met Sally: The Videogame"?

harry-met-sally.jpg

japtor

Honestly, i'd be happy with Nintendo working on a downloadable title. Those games allow devs to do a lot of experimenting that they might not try in a retail game. Having an internally developed downloadable game released at launch would be the best way to kick off downloadable games on the Wii U.
One wacky idea I had was to make a mini game compilation (like Wii Play or more like Guild01 I guess), but with a game from each team/division. Like just tell all of them to build some simple game, whatever the hell they want, and throw it all together. Or just toss them all up on the eShop individually.
Given that Call of Duty is a super high budget title I'd say the chances of the Wii U version getting some graphical upgrades compared to the other titles is decent.
That and Treyarch's :WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE: comments about being close with Nintendo before.
Project Cars will be at E3 right? Is it coming 2012 or 2013?
I think the release is set for 2013, no clue if they've said anything about showing up at E3. They're still looking for a publisher afaik so a strong showing there would be useful for them.

Sadist

I just read the last few pages. what

Anyway, seeing those Nintendo Power covers reminds that EDGE's E3 issue this year will be good as always. Last year they had that cool Wii U cover

EDG230_Wii_U.jpg

ffdgh

I just read the last few pages. what

Anyway, seeing those Nintendo Power covers reminds that EDGE's E3 issue this year will be good as always. Last year they had that cool Wii U cover

EDG230_Wii_U.jpg

i wonder what they will do to the console design.

Luigiv

Only if WiiU offers "DX11 like" features. DX11 100% Microsoft.

I wouldn´t get my hopes up though. We will get a 100% port with some pad functionality. The console just launches and i guess most devs want to see how their game does first, before they put more money into WiiU development

Only the API. The API is just the instruction set, the actual hardware that makes the magic happen can still be present in non-Microsoft machines and can still be accessed through other API's (namely openGL).

EVIL

they need to market their console as next gen since its kinda silly to compete with the HD twins atm, they are cheap, both have amazing exclusives and a fuck ton of games. it either comes out and seriously undercut both consoles in price or its going to be a next gen platform.

ffdgh

Hey gaiz, look what I found! PS4 will have 20GB of RAM, and will conquer and please all spectrums of the market!

http://i775.photobucket.com/albums/yy35/nintendodsfreak/66019497913364665701335371811EYYTYMYO6t5DKeUrNGxF.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475316"]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475316[/URL] you're late :P

DrWong

So, it seems Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is coming to Wii U... Not a direct confirmation but a solid hint according to this Linkedin profile of a Namco Bandai Quality Assurance Lead Tester >
Quality Assurance for Console Games professional with over 5 years of experience getting products to market.
Spécialités:

Nintendo - DS, DSi, DS Lite, 3DS, Wii, Wii U [...]

Titles as QA Lead:
* Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Xbox, PS3)
* THUNDERCATS (DS)
* Ridge Racer (PS Vita)
* SOULCALIBUR V (Xbox, PS3)
* Ace Combat Assault Horizon (Xbox, PS3)
* Pac-Man and Galaga Dimensions (3DS)
* Ridge Racer 3D (3DS)
* National Geographic Challenge! (PS3, Wii, Xbox)
* Despicable Me (DS, Wii, PSP, PS2)
* Mr. Driller (DSi)

So if it's not related to a secret Wii U project the best candidate is TTT2, with a release date for the other systems planned for September...

BY2K

Membero Americo
Epic and Crytek would shit their pants at that RAM.

How can you even consider the possibility of those specs being true... ?

pramath

Banned
How can anyone even assume this is real?

These "specs" are even more insane that the most optimistic GAF PS4/Xbox3 expectations. And thats truly an accomplishment!
But it uses GDDR6 RAM! How can it not be real?

Epic and Crytek would shit their pants at that RAM.

How can you even consider the possibility of those specs being true... ?
It has all the official stationary and logos, and stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom