• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy reports 22% revenue decline, €28.6 Million Operating Loss in 2023, expecting AW2 sales to increase profit in 2024

Remedy has published its financial results for 2023, and reported a 22.2% decrease in revenue to €33.9 million compared to €43.6 million during the same period last year.

The Finnish developer reported an operating loss of €28.6 million for its full-year results, but noted that it received €5.2 million in royalties from Alan Wake Remastered.

The numbers:​

Q4 2023:
  • Revenue: €10.3 million (down 24.4%)
  • Operating loss: €12.8 million (compared to operating profit of €2.1 million in 2022)
FY 2023:
  • Revenue: €33.9 million (down 22.2%)
  • Operating loss: €28.6 million (compared to operating loss of €0.6 million in 2022)

The highlights:​

Remedy attributed the decline in revenue and profit to "increased investments" in ongoing projects currently in development, in addition to an impairment charge of €7.2 million for its project codenamed Kestrel (previously Vanguard) after the firm announced it would be changing the title from a free-to-play multiplayer to a premium title last November.

The report also included results for the three months ended December 2023, with revenue declining by 24.4% to €10.3 million, and operating profit at a loss of €12.8 million.

Despite Remedy describing 2023 as a "challenging year," its CEO Tero Virtala highlighted the release of Alan Wake 2 in October as a major success for the developer.
"The sales of Alan Wake 2 started well despite a competitive launch window," Virtala said. "Alan Wake 2 has already recouped a significant part of the investments made by Epic Games Publishing, and we expect the game to be a meaningful revenue and profitability driver for the year."

He added: "With Alan Wake and Control we now have two established franchises, and our ambition is to grow them into franchises that have high brand recognition, steadily growing user base, more regular cadence of sequels and an ability to generate revenue and profits and a high level."

Speaking of Control, Remedy acquired the full publishing rights to the franchise from 505 Games for €17 million at the end of its fourth quarter. It now owns the rights to the original game, its sequel, and the multiplayer spin-off codenamed Condor that is currently in development.
As for other projects currently in development, Virtala said that the remakes of Max Payne 1 and 2 "are going to be a major new game with great potential" due to having a similar development budget as Alan Wake 2.

"We expect Condor, Control 2, and the Max Payne 1 and 2 remake projects to advance to the next stages of development during the first half of 2024," he said.
Looking ahead, Remedy expects revenue to increase from the previous year and operating profit to improve. The developer said this was dependent on whether they decide to self-publish "and/or choose a new publishing partner" for Control 2 and Condor.

In the long term, the firm is focused on building the Remedy Connected Universe with Alan Wake and Control.

"Growing and expanding these franchises will be a key part of our future," it said, in addition to Max Payne.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
  • Operating loss: €28.6 million (compared to operating loss of €0.6 million in 2022)

That is a lot of money to lose.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i really dont want to say this, but this probably will happen to most independent studio, just a matter of time.

Keep in mind that the publishing deal they have with Epic means that they won't receive any €$ until Timmy & co recoups their investment. I presume that this hasn't happened yet.
As with the Epic Games Store, which boasted about its more developer-friendly terms, the new publishing label is meant to offer a better deal for game creators. Here are the key aspects, according to Epic:
  • “Developers retain 100 percent of all intellectual property and full creative control of their work.”
  • Epic Games Publishing will cover up to 100 percent of development costs, from developer salaries to go-to-market expenses such as QA, localization, marketing, and all publishing costs.”
  • “Developers earn a fair share for their work — once costs are recouped, developers earn at least 50 percent of all profits.”

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sweet baby profited from remedys misery.

Sweet baby detected, so no sympathy from me

Keep this crap out of every topic.

the-office-steve-carell.gif

Last edited:

ssringo

Bring on Control 2 (without the exclusivity bs please). Need the continuing adventures of Jesse Faden! Alan can get lost and stay lost.

xrnzaaas

Spending 17mil on publishing rights to Control IP is a lot of money for an independent publisher. Hopefully it works out for them long term.

And I still hope for a retail version of Alan Wake 2 after the DLC's are done.

Hudo

Next up will be the Max Payne 1 and 2 Remakes bankrolled by Rockstar right? And after that Control 2? I wonder, now that Remedy control Control again, who they gonna go for bankrolling that game. Or is 505 Games still on the hook for that?

winjer

Gold Member
"Alan Wake 2 has already recouped a significant part of the investments made by Epic Games Publishing, and we expect the game to be a meaningful revenue and profitability driver for the year."

So sales for Alan Wake still hasn't made back the budget for the game.
If it wasn't for Epic's money, this game would probably put Remedy in a very bad spot.

T4keD0wN

Damn, i wonder how much and when theyve got paid from epic and nvidia for aw2, but this seems rough. Hoping Control 2 does well.

Dazraell

Next up will be the Max Payne 1 and 2 Remakes bankrolled by Rockstar right? And after that Control 2? I wonder, now that Remedy control Control again, who they gonna go for bankrolling that game. Or is 505 Games still on the hook for that?
Based on their financial reports, it most likely looks like first will be Control multiplayer game, next one will be Max Payne Remake (1+2 is apparently combined into one game), third will be Control 2 and last one that game they're doing for Tencent

StereoVsn

Based on their financial reports, it most likely looks like first will be Control multiplayer game, next one will be Max Payne Remake (1+2 is apparently combined into one game), third will be Control 2 and last one that game they're doing for Tencent
I would play Max Payne 1&2 Remake as long as they don’t f with the story. Well, and do a proper release.

I hope they realise that they need a physical release now.

I am sure they must have thought about this, but to release a story driven game in the run up to Christmas and not sell a physical version just seems insane. I am digital only now and I suspect that the split is probably getting on for 75:25 digital, but they would have missed out on all the people who do not know a huge amount about games buying gifts for people and anyone who was thinking that they might like to trade it in when they are done with it.

I get the Steam release part, as they are probably thinking that there will be quite a few people who buy on Epic and then later on Steam - so they can increase revenue and get the kickback from Epic in the meantime.

Last edited:

Dazraell

I would play Max Payne 1&2 Remake as long as they don’t f with the story. Well, and do a proper release.
I replayed Max Payne games a few months back and I honestly can see why they're combining both games into one. Both shares the same engine, story is continued between them and game is reusing a lot of characters and even some locations

I'm curious how they will approach the story and how many changes they will do and how James McCaffrey's passing will impact the development

Roni

Gold Member
Game came out really late last year and is really good, so 2024 should bounce back nicely.

Kerotan

They would first have to either release a physical PS5 copy or better yet release on Steam.

They are missing a big chunk of sales due to above.
Why not buy it digital?
Excellent can't wait I bought the deluxe edition.

Why supporting a game that according to Remedy is selling well? Somehow without physical media and steam release?
Because it's a good fucking game and deserves to be supported. I swear you freaks want all these Devs to go bust.

The game can be selling well but it deserves to sell Great.

Both Control and Alan Wake are awesome franchises.

Glad to see they have big plans for them. Just make next Alan Wake an action game. Thats what you are good at.
I guess. If AW2 had the combat of RE4 remake it would have been an all time great game. It is surprising that the studio that made Control had such poor gameplay mechanics. The enemy variety, stiffness of weapons, and lack of destruction/physics were very noticeable. They definitely sacrificed improvement in those areas for upping the graphics and atsmosphere, which were both A+

still an 8.5/10 game. One of the more unique games I have played. The blood hotel section is one of my favorite level designs in years. I hope they stick with the same formula with AW3, but just massively improve up on the combat

Last edited:
Top Bottom