• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

donny2112

Come on guys we all know it comes down to how many bits each system is

Did Wii revert back to 32-bit? Don't recall. Think GameCube was still considered 64-bit, but there was some question about where the bit-size was being measured. Maybe Wii U is 64-bit, again. *shrugs*

TunaLover

At the very least it would be a pretty shitty thing to do as Epic themselves have made no public stance.

Yeah, they always manage to dodge that bullet, giving cryptic info.
Maybe they were in talk with Nintendo, and Nintendo was fine with UE3 because it fits their hardware goals, it's quite possible actually.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I think Geoff answered "No, I can't give a hint. Mike Capps only said the Wii U would run UE3." Or something of that effect.

Seriously.

I think just simply waiting to see for yourself what the games look like is the best approach at this point. We're just so damn close.

Trying to compare the power levels here from past generations of systems is so subjective between people in the know that it's turning this place into a mad house with people's emotions getting built up one post then crushed the next.

I'm indifferent to just about everything overall, when it all comes down to it. Nintendo games in HD is the only box nintendo really needs to check to get money from a lot of people anyway. Well that and online.

I'm indifferent to just about everything overall, when it all comes down to it. Nintendo games in HD is the only box nintendo really needs to check to get money from a lot of people anyway. Well that and online.

I'm at the same point. Just give me Nintendo games in HD a decent online setup and I'll be happy. Decent third party support is just extra at that point.

antonz

antonz aren't you a dev?

Unreal Engine 4 is in very few peoples hands at this point compared to what it will be in a year or two. Ive expressed my opinion on UE4 in prior speculation threads. That being barring Nintendo doing something completely stupid it should run. Will it run sexy enough that Epic would want to demo it? No,No and more No

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I will just say on a personal level, I hope e3 calms most of this tech spec.

Sure, I am

If my contest ends up happening, I might need someone to pick up some prizes from the Nintendo World Store. (I'm thinking 5 coffee mugs). Would you have the free time?

I'm at the same point. Just give me Nintendo games in HD a decent online setup and I'll be happy. Decent third party support is just extra at that point.
indeed. More would be great, but no sense if anyone getting worked up, not that anyone here is. E3 is a week away. hyyyyype.

That being barrign Nintendo doing something completely stupid it should run. Will it run sexy enough that Epic would want to demo it? No,No and more No
that's more or less what I was saying!

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Unreal Engine 4 is in very few peoples hands at this point compared to what it will be in a year or two. Ive expressed my opinion on UE4 in prior speculation threads. That being barring Nintendo doing something completely stupid it should run. Will it run sexy enough that Epic would want to demo it? No,No and more No

interesting, lol, that being said I was just asking because I was wondering whether you've had any hands on time with the wii u.

antonz

interesting, lol, that being said I was just asking because I was wondering whether you've had any hands on time with the wii u.

Most of my time is developing ideas and concepts. I am moderately technically inclined but when it comes down to the finer details of things I nod my head and say yep

AniHawk

it's a simple yes or no question.

3.- They'll lower the bar over time to meet a threshold far lower than the Wii U's specifications. (That of smartphones and tablets.)

This goes back to what I was saying in that this would be a feature issue, not a power issue.

well yeah, of course. But could Nintendo have really made that much of an oversight?

I consider the wii u to be the first console developed by developers lol. They seem to have had lots of input, it kind of blows me away a bit to think that Nintendo would avoid doing something that would make their console 100% unable to get games that run on what will likely be the defacto engine of next generation once the ball starts rolling.

I know this is nintendo, and nintendo is totally weird. But even that's a hard a one for me to believe, on a human being level.

Yes. It would be a really big oversight on their part. That said I would be more inclined to believe the GPU has the necessary features than it doesn't.

This is one of the best non-answers I've ever seen. :p

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Most of my time is developing ideas and concepts. I am moderately technically inclined but when it comes down to the finer details of things I nod my head and say yep

do you see yourself buying the system? I know you frequent this thread but you may just be interested for other reasons. seeing as you've been around dev-kits and seen to an extent what its capable of I'd like to know how you feel about it personally.

antonz

do you see yourself buying the system? I know you frequent this thread but you may just be interested for other reasons. seeing as you've been around dev-kits and seen to an extent what its capable of I'd like to know how you feel about it personally.

Oh I fully plan to buy the system. I cant miss out on Zelda and Mario. I have at least 7 titles I will buy at launch and it could go up depending on any surprises. My Gaming habits are Primarily PC/Nintendo but Ill make exceptions on traditionally PC preferred titles if they make it worthwhile

Penguin

On a different note, was thinking about how awesome it could potentially be to get a console launching with a new Mario game, a new Rayman title and possibly a new Sonic.. if Sonic Dimensions is still a thing.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Oh I fully plan to buy the system. I cant miss out on Zelda and Mario. I have at least 7 titles I will buy at launch and it could go up depending on any surprises. My Gaming habits are Primarily PC/Nintendo

nice. I think its funny how you're a developer but no one hounds you for information. you're pretty much a stealth insider in these threads.

Oddduck

On a different note, was thinking about how awesome it could potentially be to get a console launching with a new Mario game, a new Rayman title and possibly a new Sonic.. if Sonic Dimensions is still a thing.

That would be pretty amazing.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised at Sega. I figure the best time to release a Sonic game is at the launch of a Nintendo system. I don't know why they never take advantage of this. It's not like Nintendo has been launching consoles with Mario lately.

antonz

nice. I think its funny how you're a developer but no one hounds you for information. you're pretty much a stealth insider in these threads.

I dont frequent the thread often enough. I think the last thread was the first time I actually managed to make the list of top posters and half those posts were correcting burntpork (rip). The last time I talked about system power BP and others melteddown and warped stuff even after correcting them.

I prefer the quiet life :p

Ryoku

UE4 currently can only run on a multi-GPU setup or a Kepler. Considering Microsoft is only a year out from their next console, we're going to be expecting another mammoth power-sucking $350+ sold-at-a-loss console from them then?

On high/highest settings*. Gears of War doesn't push UE3 to its highest potential, for example, but was able to run UE3. This is sort of what I expect from the Wii U. If the feature set is there on the Wii U's hardware, then it'll be able to run UE4 on a toned down setting. If it can't, then it's either Nintendo's fault (I don't know why they'd do this), or just some crazy business decisions.

antonz

I tried to get him to start back, but he won't give in to peer pressure.

Start to run out of topics you can discuss with ease.Ideaman has given a pretty good rundown on the controller and of course Harkers teases.

The Online and OS are probably really the last big set of surprises outside of just blatant spec release and thats stuff that Nintendo is keeping close to its chest outside of its most trusted people

kami_sama

I think only microsoft's new console will be able to run UE4 at max settings, they'd be monster consoles, and with Wii U not being one, and the economical situation Sony is in, the only left is Microsoft. And that is bad for business, very little developers will try to do something in that console, with dev cost rising so much.

That would be pretty amazing.

Actually, I'm a bit surprised at Sega. I figure the best time to release a Sonic game is at the launch of a Nintendo system. I don't know why they never take advantage of this. It's not like Nintendo has been launching consoles with Mario lately.
Yeah. Early adopters would be looking for something to play, and Sonic would be the next-best alternative to Mario.

For the last two Nintendo home consoles, Sega's released a Sonic game close to launch - Sonic Adventure 2: Battle for the Gamecube and Sonic and the Secret Rings for Wii. Both were huge hits. I imagine that would only be magnified as an actual launch title.

antonz

Have noticed a trend with Killer Freaks from Outer Space.Upto interpretation how to take it but they seem to have a high turnover rate on Staff for the game

nordique

I am (and I'm sure others gaffers are too). But I suspect those of us excited about the upcoming nintendo hw value elegant engineering, cost- and power efficiency way more than most people.

Well said blu and I agree very much

Nintendo definitely knows how to design consoles well. I am really looking forward to how the Wii U is put together.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Have noticed a trend with Killer Freaks from Outer Space.Upto interpretation how to take it but they seem to have a high turnover rate on Staff for the game
Probably not a great thing. Wasn't this recently rumored to be a launch window title and not a day 1 release?

antonz

Probably not a great thing. Wasn't this recently rumored to be a launch window title and not a day 1 release?

That one big list rumor claimed it was launching in the launch window rather than at launch but the list itself was so full of lies that have to assume it all was

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Given how powerful I think WiiU will be. I'm not surprised that UE4 won't run on the machine.

There's going to be a lot of disappointed folks come E3 this year.

Linkhero1

Given how powerful I think WiiU will be. I'm not surprised that UE4 won't run on the machine.

There's going to be a lot of disappointed folks come E3 this year.

To keep from getting too disappointed, it's probably best if everyone kept their expectations low. I'm not expecting UE4 to run on the Wii U, but an updated version of UE3. I hope I'm wrong.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Here are my expectations...
Gahiggidy said:
This how I think/believe/hope the Wii U will fit into the hierarchy of console performance:

vSt1y.jpg

^^^
With Xbox 360 on the scale at 0 and its successor at 100. Wii U would fall at 65% and PS4 at 85%.

AniHawk

If I am criticizing Geoff for even considering potentially speaking out of turn I dont think you can expect me to then speak out of turn

i meant the question being 'antonz, aren't you a dev'

see i would have answered just yes or no to be a dick, instead of giving a thoughtful response like you did, hence my reply to your response, and this one explaining it.

Izick

I'm sure we'll see some modified version of UE 4 on Wii U when the Nextbox and PS4 come out, as long as there's a large install base and audience there. Epic isn't going to let money get away like that...actually forget just Epic, think about all the hundreds of games this generation that ran on UE 3!

AniHawk

that usually doesn't bode well.

it's especially not good if it's coming from people who were splintered off from making beyond good & evil 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom