• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Dmax3901

A question for Wedge, what's the list of white names on the right of those screens? Is it some kind of voice chat thing?

Also bikes? How long have they been in?

bengraven

Important bit:

"he has been instructed directly to stop his work as a multiplayer designer so that he can focus exclusively on Day Z, and that he believes that Day Z is the first step towards Bohemia gearing up to make it into a full standalone game"

Yeah I saw that too and was like "that sounds like a confirmation of what they're going to do". Awesome. And that he doesn't want to make it a "fun" game, I laughed and would have high fived him...had I been there.

Jhriad

Okay so I finally made my cautious way up to the NW airfield all by my lonesome. I go through the first barracks and then make my way to the second and in the doorway there's a bench. "That's weird," I think. Then I proceed to walk over the bench into the barracks. It's only on my way back out that I panic when I can't get past the fucking bench. What the hell? Why is there a bench there in the first place?

EDIT: Right after I posted this I remembered that I could step over obstacles. Finding some dudes corpse in there did give me the amusing thought that he forgot about that like me and died of dehydration 10 feet from a well.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Finally got into this game with a focus on actually surviving this time. Had a great session just now. Stumbled upon the remains of a castle secluded deep in the woods with tons of loot everywhere. Made out with a flashlight, a watch, binoculars, some shotgun shells (though I don't have a shotgun yet), more food and water, another bandage. It was great. The binoculars in particular are so useful. Been avoiding big towns for now and it's done me well. Haven't had any encounters with zombies or humans. Just sticking to the forest for now.

One question: can I get a bigger backpack?

docbon

Important bit:

"he has been instructed directly to stop his work as a multiplayer designer so that he can focus exclusively on Day Z, and that he believes that Day Z is the first step towards Bohemia gearing up to make it into a full standalone game"

***faint***

Important bit:

Thank you SeniorKnox for this. This gives me high hopes that we'll see more games with emergent gameplay in the future.

Game-Biz

Just got into the game, been playing the last few hours. Amazing.

Question: you need the toolbox to repair cars, right? But I read on another forum that toolboxes are not spawning right now. Is this true? If not, where's the best place to find them? This game has the potential to take over my life:p

abusori

Question: you need the toolbox to repair cars, right? But I read on another forum that toolboxes are not spawning right now. Is this true? If not, where's the best place to find them? This game has the potential to take over my life:p

I haven't the foggiest idea if they really spawn or not, but I haven't seen one in a good while so probably not. You can grab the 1.6.0.1 dayz_code files (are they on the site?) and downgrade your version to that, join some 1.6.0.1 servers to find the toolbox, then revert back to 1.7.

Some people can fix stuff without one though, so you may not have to. We even have one member whose very presence is known to slowly heal vehicles. DayZ is just one of those games that's so buggy that it's actually an amusing part of the experience.

robin2

Important bit:

Great news.

Irish

Some people can fix stuff without one though, so you may not have to. We even have one member whose very presence is known to slowly heal vehicles. DayZ is just one of those games that's so buggy that it's actually an amusing part of the experience.

My magic works in mysterious ways....

The Broken Survivor Memorial:

ibaywd9uuePoU3.jpg

Just got into the game, been playing the last few hours. Amazing.

Irish is the absolute most trustworthy person I've met that knows about vehicles. Through all the changes he knows more than anyone else when it comes to vehicles. Irish, what's the word on toolboxes?

Irish

Well... I don't need toolboxes to fix vehicles, but I also tend to heal them just by being near them, so... Hell if I know.

Also, I can't believe how different Arma II looks for Mickey compared to how it looks for me. Of course, I have the free version, so it is understandable. Still, it looks at least ten times better.

There were armored vehicles laying waste in Balota early this morning. On the dallas 19 server... it was nuts. They completely trashed the ATC tower and some were saying they were NPC spawned by an admin. Made for an interesting show, to be sure.

Anton668

There's multiple actually.

well then....

in all that running around I did playing the main game it was the only one I found. huh...

themoreyouknow.jpg

well then that fact and the fact I have/had no idea where the hell I was at just leads me to think I should head back to the armory with a jeep and learn the map more.

well then....

in all that running around I did playing the main game it was the only one I found. huh...

themoreyouknow.jpg

well then that fact and the fact I have/had no idea where the hell I was at just leads me to think I should head back to the armory with a jeep and learn the map more.

I'm not sure if it's that the other castles don't have "Castle" in their name or if they're just not labelled. Rog is one of the other ones, which is in the SE corner of the map near the shore. That one is usually the first castle people stumble upon. Though that could be the name of the Mountain itself. Who knows!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Alright, I died, and I'm done with the game for a while. I'll stick to regular ArmA II because it's really the better game for me.

Anyway, if someone wants a bike, join DE6 and go to 135037. Cheers.

Alright, I died, and I'm done with the game for a while. I'll stick to regular ArmA II because it's really the better game for me.

Anyway, if someone wants a bike, join DE6 and go to 135037. Cheers.

We should all jump into regular ArmA once and awhile. We actually had a bit of fun with it when the servers went down before.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
We should all jump into regular ArmA once and awhile. We actually had a bit of fun with it when the servers went down before.

Well, I play regular ArmA regularly (lol), and will keep doing so, just the DayZ sessions are over for me for a while. I want to give the mod a couple of weeks to evolve.

Vlodril

Dallas 19 is acting up. Fucking piece of shit. Or is it you NiX restarting it?

I had quite big desynch yesterday that resulted in my death from invisible zombies..

worked out well because i killed a guy in balota and he had a m16. plus i found my friend easily for once and we hit a market inland and i am set up again.

mik83kuu

Banned
I'm about to start getting real mad about this game and it's shitty bugs. I know it's alpha. I've played almost 400 hours of this game (not joking!) and right as I'm starting to enjoy this game again I get this shit? FUCK. YOU. GAME. :)

(Also fuck you Dallas 19 and your shitty connection :-D)

I'm about to start getting real mad about this game and it's shitty bugs. I know it's alpha. I've played almost 400 hours of this game (not joking!) and right as I'm starting to enjoy this game again I get this shit? FUCK. YOU. GAME. :)

Server issues aside other than the occasional issue where I have a hard time picking up backpacks or placing tents, I haven't run into any major bugs that have gotten in the way of my game play. Curious to see what issues you have had that make you that angry.

Dallas 19 is acting up. Fucking piece of shit. Or is it you NiX restarting it?

Not me. You have to keep in mind we don't fully manage Dallas 19, so the guy who does can restart it for whatever reason.

As for your connection issues, not sure. You're across the ocean, aren't you? With vehicles now on and them having enabled more of them, it's likely causing some extra load on the server and syncing.

We saw some serious de-sync last night on TX 8 while in a truck that affected most of the server that probably got some people killed or close to it.

WedgeX

Banned
iOEqTd98qmXW7.png

I hear tales of fire. Engulfing forests. Rumors I've heard before. But this land is barren of flight. And yet before me stands flames that rage high above the forest. Smoke distinctly coming from a building. Yet the building stands.

An ill gotten gateway to the skies lays on its side, deep in this valley.

ijYGXUZrQ8hje.bmp

I return north. Rifle in hand. But I've made my vow to ask first. Nix and BS are south in Berezino. Its supermarket and apartments tempt. My venture is unseen. As I approach, two men pop out of the store. I've the jump on them. Nix and BS had warned, had known they'd spotted another gaffer earlier. Easily dispatched. Yet I give them warning. They scream friendly. That they've had their fill of the store, and need not more. I enter. Then stupidity reigns. As if it did not already, having entered the store. I allow them unseen behind me. We speak of journeys. And then the distinct pop of a makarov. Simply one.

iBBi3Iee7B3tU.png

Trapped in Elektro. A rifle and grenade keep me company. Yet all is quiet. Save for the moans that surround. Offer only despair. Quiet, likely, because death reigns here. And yet so does hope. Hope crashed into a holy place. A bus! To accommodate all gaffers! That I may not travel alone! That.......a man! Standing over two dead bodies. My rifle is raised. Fires true. The man remains. He remains suspended, a mockery of what life remains in this world.

iIYxntDwKG0Sa.bmp

Elektro ceases to be quiet. The dead surround. Retreating into a once sacred place. Its floor now condemned to be stained, in death and sin. Far too many to dispatch with the ammo I have. My pistol sounds off. Five dead. Far more flood between the pews. My grenade! It arks above the shambling bastards heads. The force knocks me back. Ears ringing. Death ceases to pursue.

iBeS4Ndf4taQq.bmp

I stand guard at the alter. The bus beat to hell and back. Broken visits on occasion, checking on the bus. Shooting becomes the norm. As it has been for time eternal in Elektro. Rifles, pistols, all sound off. This bus must remain. My life will go as this bus does.

Moans draw near. Shooting, as well. A man! Certainly here to end my life, flee on this bus. My rifle knocks him instantly to the ground, and the dead surround. He rises once more. I end his life with my pistol, so too the shamblers that accompany. But I've not just ended this man's life. I have murdered. Am a murderer. Certainly I would seek shelter from this shambling death. Hope that others would provide relief. Yet I killed him, no warning issued. No attempt to engage. His life ended that I ought not even have to take a risk. That I ought not communicate. Engage in things which once ruled society.

I resume my watch at this alter, stained. Broken perishes mere feet from the door of the church. More death, more shooting. All falls quiet. Yet I hear of a vehicle repaired to the northwest. This guarded bus now useless. A man's life ended. I'll join others. From the church I head. A bullet strikes my shoulder. A man, pistol only in hand, gives chase. We exchange gunfire. I lob a grenade as he runs off. My flanks were ignored as I exited the church. Perhaps I deserve to die for my transgressions. I slump behind the church. Blood pouring the the grass that surrounds. Life escapes, as does redemption.

ibxbzMfJRPrHOl.png

I flee north by northwest. Rumors run through these hills of projectiles flying from vehicles, leveling cities. I run from death. From the civilization that remained. Losing my way often. No compass, map. Easily turned aside. But little wish to rejoin society. Much done and seen since the shamblers began their haunt. Outside of civilization calls. Or I seek it. Unworthy to rejoin, perhaps. Freezing as I run, rain beating at my face. The outskirts of inland ruined civilization will do.

I hunker in this factory shed. Warm once more. Settled in for the night. Disgusted. Perhaps to the north I shall head. To reflect. Palavar with any who approach. Tomorrow. Today I have survived.

Previously: Flight

abusori

I went hiking all day instead of doing anything I was supposed to or playing DayZ because it was the only nice weather we've had in over a month.

But I'll be on in a few minutes after a certain video finishes uploading.
Edit: And here we go, as promised: The Day Z Vehicle Experience

My oh my those server disconnects happen at the worst moments.

After a couple hours of plodding north from Elektro I finally made it to Berezino. Only saw 1 person along, a fellow in a ruined castle - we aimed at each other, he with an AK and me with a Mak - who mercifully didn't gun me down as I sprinted away from him. Anyway, I get to Berezino and find next to nothing... that is until I stumble across a tractor. That works.

I bust around the town in this thing, alerting a surprisingly small number of zombies. I tow them out into a field and start to run them over... and I get my first disconnect.

No worries, I restart Day Z and log into a different server. When I spawn I'm still in Berezino, but the tractor is gone and my blood\health\food is green again. Enthused by this bug, I creep around Berezino for supplies. I discover the grocery store and that zombies can slap you through walls even though they actually didn't 'detect' you. Leaving the store I spot a deer hut/fort thingie. I climb up, find an AK, some food, and see another player sprinting into Berezino. I assume he must have seen me and risked the move anyway. So there I am, with almost everything I need to continue on, and I get a session error.

!#$&)!*@

nilbog21

Banned
can someone make sure to make a new thread when combined operations goes on sale :<

EDIT: FUCK IT bit the bullet and bought it

abusori

Today I lost my character of 10 days.

I got too excited about a motorcycle, and when we went to pick Slope up in Elektro, I rode with Stuntman to the toolshed outside the powerplant to find some parts. I was attaching a scrap metal when bam, I lay on the ground, a broken man, 3000 blood and fading fast. I instantly knew: if Stuntman didn't make it we were both goners. I heard the motorcycle start up and that was that. We both died, free for the enemies to have their way with.

But cover from the north came, and the enemies disconnected, as enemies do. Stuntman and I spawned close and got back quickly but...the bastards just hid our bodies. Coyote backpacks, a gps, an M24, an M9SD, and countless other goods, lost in an instant from one faulty judgement. Mine. I knew better. I'd seen this happen before. You don't get close to Elekzinogorsk if you want to live. I had made it very far with these ideals. But I had strayed from the path, and I costed my comrade Stunt's death as well. For that I am sorry.

We recovered the motorcycle and Slope and I headed back to the base of operations. I took a few things from a store along the way, and feebly re-armed myself. The motorcycle will be a reminder to make calmer decisions in the days to come. Its cost? Too high.

CatPee

So... how the hell is the game map at all functional aside from roads and locations? Or is it all that it's used for?

Top Bottom