• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DayZ - zombie apocalypse online FFA permadeath survival Arma II mod

Irish

I'm not even sure what the question is exactly...

Still, I use maps mainly for the roads and landmarks anyway. Coordinates are for chumps.

CatPee

I've just been using an outside map for town identification and heard a bunch of praise for the map so I guess I expected more. Turns out it's less useful than the web one. :\

EDIT: Holy shit, Dallas 19 just suffered some kinda massive bug that killed everyone. Managed to abort in time. :\

I've just been using an outside map for town identification and heard a bunch of praise for the map so I guess I expected more. Turns out it's less useful than the web :
the only real benefit is not having to open up steam overlay. But if you have a second monitor with the map set up you won't ever need one.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I've just been using an outside map for town identification and heard a bunch of praise for the map so I guess I expected more. Turns out it's less useful than the web one. :\

Find a GPS. It shows your current location in XXXYYY coordinates (So 3digits horizontal, then 3 digits vertical). The coordinates are displayed on the bottom and left of the map screen. If you're zoomed out, they're only the first 2 digits per axis.

If you found a GPS, you can press Right Control + M to activate it while outside of the map screen. It then has a minimap that moves with you.

You can mark stuff on the map (doubleclick). Be aware that the channel you're in while marking stuff on the map matters. For example, if you're in Direct Comm while marking 129033 with the word "wassup", then people close to your current location will see said marking if they happen to look at the map. However, if you're in Side Channel, then everybody sees it.

The ingame map shows water sources like pumps and fountains. Not all of the marked water sources work though.

Markers, coordinates and water sources are also on the minimap.

abusori

Then what exactly do you want it to show, the moon?

GPS rocks for driving and hiding vehicles though. The little mini-map it brings up lets you see turns ahead of time and go around cities without losing the main road, and to hide them you can just write down the coordinates to easily find it next time.

EDIT: Holy shit, Dallas 19 just suffered some kinda massive bug that killed everyone. Managed to abort in time. :
I need you to PM me the exact time this happened. If someone said something before it happened, if you can remember their name, I can use that too.

mik83kuu

Banned
I'm going out to get food, eat, and once I'm back I will start my "weekend survival project". Pictures, .gifs, and video incoming once something interesting happens.

mik83kuu

Banned
Spawned right outside Elektro. Went in for a look and found a good set of survival gear:

- Winchester + ammo
- Revolver + ammo
- Czezh Backpak
- Medical supplies
- Compass
- Map
- Watch
- Matches
- Knife
- Hatchet
- Tent

Left Elektro and killed two dudes on my way out. First was just target practice, but for the second one who had clearly just spawned I did the friendly dance. He was dumb enough to ignore it and started blasting away with a Makarov and didn't even hit me once. His beans were delicious.

bwjHK.jpg

Spawned right outside Elektro and went in to have a look

w2WhO.jpg

Found a lot of survival gear, but most importantly: a tent

3I9Ac.jpg

Leaving Elektro and having one last look of the shithole

Today I lost my character of 10 days.

People really do die often enough that my 18 days was some kind of feat. I think I'm coming up on 10 days now and in the past two days I've come dangerously close to dying. The barn incident had me down to 2100 blood and I really thought I was going to die there.

I'm hoping this time around I can get to 20 days, but I'm not sure hanging around with a large GAF group in a loud truck is going to help me with that goal. I want to document some of what I do now, but I'd prefer video over screenshots. Does any one know if a capture card can reduce the load on the system for streaming and recording?

Kritz

Banned
200 zombie kills, 0 murders, 12 days alive.

I went into Cherno as my pal found a bus. He had already put on a few wheels, an engine and had some gas to fill it up with. Pretty quickly some other players noticed something was up, and came a running.

A bandit tagged my friend, and I went out seeking revenge. Turns out, in my 12 days prior hiding in the woods, I'd forgotten that double tapping W makes you a tasty zombie snack. In addition, it makes it so you can't aim your gun for shit. I caught up with the fucker, and shot him a few times in the chest with a revolver. He tagged me in the leg with a winchester, though I managed to roll into some bushes and secure my position. I didn't kill the other guy, but he didn't show up for the rest of my travels.

I bandaged my wounds, morphined my bones and popped some pills. I had 3000 blood. My pal spawned in Cherno, and we met up rather quickly. He stopped off at the field hospital, got me some blood, and I was back to 12000.

So, I was still alive and had 8 magazines of DMR ammunition. We headed up to a vantage point, leaving the bus behind (the server crashed and it despawned when we came back in). On the way, we either got shot at ourselves or ran into some DayZ geometry bugs. We both fell to the ground bleeding with broken bones after banging our head on a pipe, leading us to make a run for the field hospital once more.

We got fixed up, and jumped up on the roof of the apartments. My friend had been killed earlier by someone with high ground, so we were off to seek revenge. I spot a guy crawling over a hill and put a shot into his chest. My first legitimate murder in DayZ. Before this, I had only killed in self defence. This time, I killed him because he had a cool gun. My friend needed a cool gun after dying.

Some guy tries to ambush us in the apartments. Friend tags him as he comes up the ladder. He was a dude with a makerov. Don't know if he was a newbie looking for some loot or a guy trying to murder him some bandits.

I spot two guys running through the treelines. They both had AKs. If they weren't the guys who killed my pal, too bad for them. They were running too fast for me to risk a shot, so we trailed them out of cherno. In the mean time I spot a guy with a lee enfield coming close to us. I hit the dirt, line up the shoot, and take it. It hits him in the chest, and he's down for the count. I pop another into his head for good measure. 2 murders.

Me and my friend were separated. He got a bit too close, and was taken out by the two AK guys. I take to the highest hill and keep watch, but I never see them emerge. After 15 minutes of camping from a treeline, my friend meets up with me as he'd run all the way from Elektro. Not a good night for him. We go to the body, and all his ammo and supplies were gone.

250 zombies killed, 2 murders, 13 days alive.

DTKT

Since this has come up a couple times, what is the friendly dance?

Alternatively tap Q and E. It's the lean key and makes it look like your character is dancing.

You might still get shot though. It's just safer than the salute emote.

KKRT00

Which improvements over Arma 2 did you notice immediately? (@keenanw)
Scale and terrain detail. Creative Director Ivan Buchta gave me an exclusive look at Limnos by hopping around different points Arma 3’s editor. It’s more beautiful and authentic than any developer- or player-made island I’ve seen in Arma.

Myrina, its largest city, is easily two or two and a half times the area of Chernogorsk (Arma 2’s largest city). But it’s not just “more objects;” the variety of structures and the detail they’re granted makes the terrain feel much more developed and authentic. Buchta showed me an enterable airport terminal, a cemetery, a power plant, school playground, high school athletics track, a beach with colored umbrellas stuck into the sand, and a basketball court at night, lit by floodlights.

Exploring Limnos is going to be a joy. I can’t wait to fight in these areas; structures instantly appeared and felt less static, and less like cardboard facsimiles, as they sometimes do in A2. 80-90 percent of the buildings I saw were enterable.
Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/arma-3-e3-hands-on-preview-8-questions-answered/

I'm ready Bohemia, do You hear me? I'm ready for new zombie apocalypse :)

---

What hardware were they running it on and how smooth did it play? (@erockbart)
Very, very smoothly. A frame counter wasn’t visible, so don’t interpret this as scientific, but I felt I was running at 50-60+ frames throughout the demo. Bohemia was running a Core i7 at 3.2 GHz and a single GTX 580. Not low-end equipment, certainly, but I wouldn’t call that exotic, either. I encountered one or two microscopic hitches while helicoptering, but the game behaved extremely well overall. There was no noticeable dip in framerate when I right-click zoomed in most situations, and gunfire/explosions had zero effect on performance. The largest mission I had probably had 20-25 enemy infantry (and an enemy vehicle) scattered across a kilometer or two, plus my six or seven-man squad
Oh god and its alpha!

There's a new OA beta patch out, with a couple of changes most likely influenced by DayZ.

I'll update the server right away. Both are needed.

Edit: Updated. I'm also testing different max ping thresholds on both Dallas 19 and TX 8. Seems like overall if we limit people to 200 max (extended period of time) it improves the ping on the server. Does anyone here get over 200 consistently?

So I just found a bike but I don't know the server name, I assume if you save a vehicle it'll only be on that server? What do I do? :/

Edit: nevermind, bike fell over and now i cant use it :(

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So I just found a bike but I don't know the server name, I assume if you save a vehicle it'll only be on that server? What do I do? :/

Edit: nevermind, bike fell over and now i cant use it :(

Remember where you found that bike and use it. Then when you jump into antoher server, go to that same place and see if you can find one.

I'll update the server right away. Both are needed.

Edit: Updated. I'm also testing different max ping thresholds on both Dallas 19 and TX 8. Seems like overall if we limit people to 200 max (extended period of time) it improves the ping on the server. Does anyone here get over 200 consistently?

Depending on the time of the day, I do get around 209. But it's usually just spikes and I'm usually at the 150-180 threshold.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Don't think it works that way, has to be the same server you found the bike on

No, I mean. Let's say you found a bike on a hill near Kamenka on Texas 8 (our server). If you take that bike and run it around the map, when you get off it, let's say near Dubrovka, the server will register it's location.

That bike will always be there where you left it the last time, unless the server crashes unexpectedly or something else changes. That bike will be near Dubrovka on Texas 8 only.

HOWEVER, there's a good chance that the place where you first saw it (on a Hill near Kamenka) is a possible spawn point for vehicles on EVERY server. There's a CHANCE that a bike will spawn on that same place on another server. It's not guaranteed, but it's a chance.

DO NOT INSTALL THE MOST RECENT BETA PATCH - It's not Battleye Certified yet, so you will get kicked. This is a client side issue only. 93586 is certified, so that can be used.

WedgeX

Banned
DO NOT INSTALL THE MOST RECENT BETA PATCH - It's not Battleye Certified yet, so you will get kicked. This is a client side issue only. 93586 is certified, so that can be used.

Its not a for sure thing. Was running around TX-8 with the latest patch for a good 15-20 minutes. But the chance of being kicked is unfriendly enough. Darn you, battleye.

fake edit:

Or I was running around pre-patch. Got dang I've played this too much if I cannot remember what time I was on.

The M.O.B

so u just have to write out the name of the server and then send it to your friend who has to look for it by name? Cool, reminds me of 1997

Notsureifserious

If the server name is TX 8 for example, you put "TX 8" in the filter and it pops up. Then you both join............a few buttons taps and mouse clicks away, nothing major.

CatPee

I need you to PM me the exact time this happened. If someone said something before it happened, if you can remember their name, I can use that too.

It was roughly a bit past 3am Central time. Can't remember the complex names, but there were a bunch of guys with =HA= in the beginning of their names as a clan tag, of sorts.

DTKT

Honestly, he has a point. The game has no server history, no favorites and no way to directly jump into a friend game. You can't even check the server name when you are in-game.

Those are valid things to complain about.

Notsureifserious

If the server name is TX 8 for example, you put "TX 8" in the filter and it pops up. Then you both join............a few buttons taps and mouse clicks away, nothing major.

Haha can believe you had to even describe it MOB. It's got to be the easiest thing in the game.

OUR NEW SERVER NAME WILL BE US 38

Honestly, he has a point. The game has no server history, no favorites and no way to directly jump into a friend game. You can't even check the server name when you are in-game.

Those are valid things to complain about.

And yet it still works better than any DICE created server browser.

93616 IS NOW BATTLEYE CERTIFIED.

abusori

You can't even check the server name when you are in-game.

This is really the only valid complaint, which I have had often because people asking all the time gets annoying. But...they just added this in the new arma patch, so there it goes. For what it's worth, Bohemia seems to be paying attention.

WedgeX

Banned
OUR NEW SERVER NAME WILL BE US 38

Is this effective now?

Unrelated:

Getting to the north and then realizing that I've only a hunting knife, but no hatchet or matches is terrible, sinking feeling.

No stories from yesterday, but some choice screenshots:

Mob & BS aggravated a great number of shamblers. That then decided wizzard and I would be more delicious. Wizzard and I then fought over who would sacrifice themselves. We each wanted it. But Wizzard wanted it more.

imKOAJ3nrANAx.bmp

BS valiantly circled the horde and saved Wizzard while I egged them on to follow. Nix made a badass get away.

iKKeXb78hnO46.bmp

iV3RrGHbdDQiF.bmp

Elsewhere, Abby decided that driving up to Elektro would be a good idea.

ibv00uIFsX9Xvl.bmp

And in the dead of night with rain obscuring the land Nix thought this would be a good resting place.

iFqtPbQwf73FL.bmp

inpIE1T2bFMHj.bmp

dionysus

Yaldog
well, first spawn ever lasted approximately 30s. Killed a zombie and then a player killed me. Does GAF play on a certain server?

Man, the more I read about this the more I think I want to give it a try.

Yeah I was on the fence and waiting for a steam sale before I'd decide to bite the bullet but I just couldn't wait. Now before I start installing anything do I need both arma II and Operation arrowhead or will just operation arrowhead suffice?

Top Bottom