• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Assignment Thread 129: Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theme: Power

Submissions are due by Friday, June 22nd by 11.59pm.

Voting begins Saturday June 23rd and ends on Monday June 25th at 11.59pm

1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2) Only one photo per person, per assignment.
-- Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
-- Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
-- You can change your submission by editing your post.
-- To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
-- Photos posted in assignment thread should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge. You may include a link to a higher resolution version.

3) One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4) The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win/thread start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

5) Have fun!

GAF Photography Assignment Threads FAQ

With Diablo 3 just around the corner, those of us who frequent the Gaming side might lapse a little so hopefully 3 weeks to take photos is enough. Let me know if this is too long based off previous assignment threads.

aparisi2274

Yeah, I am surprised this died out... Maybe the topic was to vague. Was it "power" like electricity power, or Hitler type "power"

Prez

Yeah, I am surprised this died out... Maybe the topic was to vague. Was it "power" like electricity power, or Hitler type "power"

That didn't matter.

"1) The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit."

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
although I haven't participated in quite a while, I did enjoy following them. Perhaps we should start a new assignment?

Way past the deadline but I can't pass up a chance to win by default :)
550496_434985163186777_2142775697_n.jpg

pringles

Too bad about this assignment dying, I think the theme is open enough to be interpreted in several different ways. Finish it up and get a new going?

Way past the deadline but I can't pass up a chance to win by default :)
https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/550496_434985163186777_2142775697_n.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Oh hell no.. I'm not letting you win that easy!

..lol, haven't taken more than maybe 10 photos in something like 2 months time :-/

Well I'm entering one of those!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roban/7168769027/][img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7087/7168769027_09761c8e5a.jpg[/url]

Uhh... the 'power' here is electricity converted into heat in a stove ;)

Either/or, and even more! Literal power, persuasive power, influential power, physical power, computational power, all are relevant! Thats why I (bias incoming) think it's a great topic :p

I warned you guys about Diablo 3. It's the reason I all but forgot about this. Deadline has been changed.

aparisi2274

So what happened here? Did this die? Shouldn't the last winner pick a new subject and get this up and running again?

Xun

I agree. We need to get this back on track! Relaunch this assignment? Maybe we need to start back over from Assignment #1, get a fresh start.
Perhaps, yeah.

I almost feel a complete refresh may be a good idea.

The threads just get too easily lost nowadays.

pringles

Perhaps, yeah.

I almost feel a complete refresh may be a good idea.

The threads just get too easily lost nowadays.
that's the main problem, they fall off the 1st page in seconds. I think in the beginning they were stickied, and those were very active. But that's of course too much to hope for. What if Photo threads were moved to the community forum? They wouldn't disappear so quickly there, although it might hurt the main photo thread more than it helps the assignments.

thatbox

Banned
that's the main problem, they fall off the 1st page in seconds. I think in the beginning they were stickied, and those were very active. But that's of course too much to hope for. What if Photo threads were moved to the community forum? They wouldn't disappear so quickly there, although it might hurt the main photo thread more than it helps the assignments.

Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I think that would be worse overall since we'd have fewer new people seeing the thread and deciding to jump in, which we need now more than ever.

Xun

We've got to give it all a lot of thought.

But restarting from scratch with everything could definitely help in my opinion.

Perhaps a new naming convention/template for the OP?

At the moment it's just a bunch of boring text, so it could definitely be spiced up in my opinion.

tch

Now that I'm a member I'd love to participate. It's too bad that its been slowing down. Restarting seems like a reasonable idea, I hope we get it started soon!

Xun

If no one else will, I'll get to work on some ideas of how I think these threads should be spruced up.

pringles

If no one else will, I'll get to work on some ideas of how I think these threads should be spruced up.
Do it. I'm not sure a lot needs to be changed, the main thing is to make them more visible. We've had some relatively active threads not so long ago, usually when they're linked in the main photo thread and bumped every now and then. A restart is probably needed to remove the intimidation factor of "#100+" for new people. I hope we can get these going for real again. In the main thread you see a lot of great photographers, and a lot of people looking for input on photos they post, but many times it's just photos upon photos with little to no comments/critique. These assignment threads are a great place for more in-depth discussion on photos.

Xun

Do it. I'm not sure a lot needs to be changed, the main thing is to make them more visible. We've had some relatively active threads not so long ago, usually when they're linked in the main photo thread and bumped every now and then. A restart is probably needed to remove the intimidation factor of "#100+" for new people. I hope we can get these going for real again. In the main thread you see a lot of great photographers, and a lot of people looking for input on photos they post, but many times it's just photos upon photos with little to no comments/critique. These assignment threads are a great place for more in-depth discussion on photos.
Alright, cool.

I'll get working on something.

I think the OP needs to stand out more, perhaps even with images to make it more appealing. It needs to feel fresh again.

tch

Alright, cool.

I'll get working on something.

I think the OP needs to stand out more, perhaps even with images to make it more appealing. It needs to feel fresh again.

Cool. Looking forward to it. So is it planned to be in OT or OT- Community section? Just want to know so I can keep an eye out for it. Thanks!

Xun

Cool. Looking forward to it. So is it planned to be in OT or OT- Community section? Just want to know so I can keep an eye out for it. Thanks!
No idea yet, I'll run it by here first before anything happens.

I think OT still.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Yeah the OP definitely needs to be spiced up, make it more visual. This is a PHOTO thread afterall. Maybe display some of the previous winning photos?

And i like the idea of one mega thread instead of a constant new thread for each assignment? Just keep updating the OP for each new assignment.

And maybe make the thread title a bit more humorous, longer thread titles tend to get more views.

$0.2

Xun

Yeah the OP definitely needs to be spiced up, make it more visual. This is a PHOTO thread afterall. Maybe display some of the previous winning photos?

And i like the idea of one mega thread instead of a constant new thread for each assignment? Just keep updating the OP for each new assignment.

And maybe make the thread title a bit more humorous, longer thread titles tend to get more views.

$0.2
Definitely.

I'll try and crack on with it later on tonight.

Xun

Ok, here's a quick concept I have for the thread.

I will add more sections tomorrow, along with some actual photography to spice it up a little bit, but what are your thoughts?

GBjF9.png

TF0gD.png

Power

Submissions are due by:

t1342368900z4.png

Voting begins:

t1342368900z4.png

REfNb.png

1. The theme can be interpreted as you see fit, but keep in mind others will be judging based on whatever criteria they see fit.

2. Only one photo per person, per assignment.

• Photos must be taken during the assignment period.
  • Only photos to be posted in this thread are to be submissions.
  • You can change your submission by editing your post.
  • To avoid cluttering up the thread, please avoid quoting images.
  • Photos posted in assignment thread should be no larger than 800 pixels on the long edge. You may include a link to a higher resolution version.
3. One vote for your first choice (3 points) and one vote for your runner-up (1 point), which can be based on any criteria you see fit. You cannot vote for your own submission. Non-participants are also welcome to vote. Criticism/comments encouraged.

4. The "winner" should come up with a new theme/time period. Ties are broken first by the number of first choice votes, then by longest time since last win start, then by longest amount of time participating in assignment threads.

Damaged

Looks awesome, just a thought though, should the competition be a set length for each one, like one for each month of the year?

Xun

Thanks for the comments guys!

Awesome work! What kind of photos were you thinking for the OP? Last winner(s) maybe?
Last winner(s), along with some from the main photography thread to spice it up a bit.

So are we still going with the POWER theme? or are we gonna start with a new theme?
I have no idea yet, so I'm completely open.

Looks awesome, just a thought though, should the competition be a set length for each one, like one for each month of the year?
I quite like how it works now, but alternatively an assignment a month could work. Once again I think this should be open for discussion (perhaps in the photography thread as well?)

Also do you guys think the assignment should start at #1 again? Personally I think it would be nice to keep things fresh and new.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Last winner(s), along with some from the main photography thread to spice it up a bit.

I have no idea yet, so I'm completely open.

I quite like how it works now, but alternatively an assignment a month could work. Once again I think this should be open for discussion (perhaps in the photography thread as well?)

Also do you guys think the assignment should start at #1 again? Personally I think it would be nice to keep things fresh and new.

I like very much the new theme, and I think that it should start from 1 again, to keep it fresh!

thatbox

Banned
Yeah, I agree, I guess. Starting from one would probably make it seem more approachable. For the same reason, I think we need to keep up these individual threads in the OT, rather than a megathread or resigning ourselves to the community forum.

Xun

I like very much the new theme, and I think that it should start from 1 again, to keep it fresh!
Indeed.

Yeah, I agree, I guess. Starting from one would probably make it seem more approachable. For the same reason, I think we need to keep up these individual threads in the OT, rather than a megathread or resigning ourselves to the community forum.
I think either individual or one megathread would work.

Perhaps I should ask in the main photography thread?

Damaged

Definitely a fresh start from #1 I think and for certain in the main OT, don't think we could get enough new people to join in otherwise.

Not sure about a new thread for each comp, could put off new members who cant create threads yet?

thatbox

Banned
Definitely a fresh start from #1 I think and for certain in the main OT, don't think we could get enough new people to join in otherwise.

Not sure about a new thread for each comp, could put off new members who cant create threads yet?

This hasn't been a problem in the past. If a junior member wins, someone else makes the thread on her behalf.

thatbox

Banned
I prefer individual threads. It's easier to jump in for new people if they don't have to click through multiple pages to find the current assignment, and it should hopefully prevent any isolation that the community forum megathreads can promote. Also, I think making the thread itself is a fun little reward activity for the winner, and having your name show up as the thread creator in the topic listing is always cool.

Number45

So do you guys prefer the idea of a megathread or individual threads like we have now?

I prefer individual threads. It's easier to jump in for new people if they don't have to click through multiple pages to find the current assignment, and it should hopefully prevent any isolation that the community forum megathreads can promote. Also, I think making the thread itself is a fun little reward activity for the winner, and having your name show up as the thread creator in the topic listing is always cool.
I personally prefer the idea of a single thread - feels more like a community that way.

Anyhoo, I'm pretty new to photography as a hobby (bought a camera and lens a couple of weeks back, but really feeling my way at the moment). Hopefully I'll be able to take part some time soon.

tch

We should have a thread with links to the individual assignment threads. That way people can bookmark or subscribe to the main thread to check for new assignments, rather than just hope to see them on the front few pages. This is probably pretty obvious, just realized as I typed it out haha. Can't wait for this to get started!

thatbox

Banned
We should have a thread with links to the individual assignment threads. That way people can bookmark or subscribe to the main thread to check for new assignments, rather than just hope to see them on the front few pages. This is probably pretty obvious, just realized as I typed it out haha. Can't wait for this to get started!

I subscribe to them when I post in them, and there's always a link to the next thread at the end of a closed assignment. I'm not sure how we'd structure it the way you propose a community forum thread (separate from the main photo thread?) just for linking assignment threads and meta-talk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom