• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Gag Contest & DIY 'How to'

Time to choose the winning 'gag' based on the posts...

• "I'm not impossible, we can meat anytime"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Simple thread here requiring minimal attention spans and creative minds. I'm sharing videos (under ~2-minutes/DIY video) on how to create a traditional hand drawn comic.

What contest?
The comic as you'll see has no gag in the final draft.

Rules: Watch the DIYs and come up with a single comedy gag based on what you see. SFW (no profanity, politics, sexual innuendos as my comics have a family audience).

The winner: Whoever comes up with the best idea (community may vote on that GAFFER in the posts) gets their gag written into the final video and a private personalized copy via DM. Winner is free to share.

Post contest challenge: Keep it going. Many artists here. Post photo tutorials or your own contest within the terms of the forum and nominate a winner. Next one...you make the rules (within community guidelines).

Prologue

DIY 1 | Concept / Idea

DIY 2 | Early Pencil Layout

DIY 3 | Final Pencil Layout

DIY 4 | Fine Line Inking

DIY 5 | Heavy Ink & Fill

DIY 6 | Final note & Contest

Special thanks to Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage for the ideas. John Marston John Marston for prompting me to post my first comic since June back on the 13th. BadBurger BadBurger for involuntarily volunteering as the concept and final comic.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
If participant just wants to win the contest challenge, skip to the last video. Videos 1 - 6 are the simple process DIY on creating an original comic.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
“I got beef with you”

“You don’t wanna ketchup with me”

“Bite me”

“Be(ef)gone!”
I'm not impossible, we can meat anytime
I need to poop first and buy some cat food brb.
“I’m not angry, I’m medium rare!”

“Bunnies are not made out of real buns!”

“I’m 70% cow and proud of it!”
I'll keep this running till Monday night. You're all going to vote on one though. I'm still laughing at 22:22:22 22:22:22 's. When there's no context, it's even better. First thing that comes to your mind.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
While this is a great concept I feel most people just aren't ready for this.
Because it's constructive and brings people together 😄

That being said I would LOVE a John Marston drawing I could eventually put as my Avatar.
I saved the "Happy Gafting Turkeys!" you made.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
While this is a great concept I feel most people just aren't ready for this.
Because it's constructive and brings people together 😄

That being said I would LOVE a John Marston drawing I could eventually put as my Avatar.
I saved the "Happy Gafting Turkeys!" you made.
And you'll get that drawing too. Agreed. But hey, some good folks chimed in and I'll leave it at this. You may:

A. Vote on one if the above entries by Monday noon PST U.S. or...

B. I'll caption my favorite, DM the winner and announce later tomorrow

There will still be a winner

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
kanjobazooie kanjobazooie Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage John Marston John Marston Mr Blobby Mr Blobby Robb Robb 22:22:22 22:22:22 BadBurger BadBurger

Poll's up. Vote on the winner and a customer drawing with be DM'd to the winner. I'll post here too but the winner may choose whether or not to share their custom version.

Had to start the poll as the thread sorta died out. Regardless, we had some great entries. Anyone else passing by be sure to vote too...only today! Winner will be in for Halloween.

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
OIG.ovgQ70wpWimy_BBC7o1_

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
NeoGiffer it's not a troll thread. If you're not going to participate. Don't act like a clown or you'll get one on the house.
DyZNxYN.gif

We're tied here. Who's gonna break it? Kanjo just created someone's AV btw.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
For the first time in my life I won something.
And it won't be the last time.
lol, I am glad my stupid username brought some comic joy
You may see something else yet. Well, it brought the first tutorial I've ever posted. I've given live presentations but that was over 15-years ago. Haven't made a video tutorial on comics and that name was the first that popped into my head :)
I actually think it would be funny to have the burger protesting Vegans. With a line of "Why don't you want me" or I'm tasty, I promise"

Something silly like that.
Well...Bad Burger voluteered his AV but doesn't have one just yet. The contest one is Kanjo's (which will be completed today). You can do a whole lot of good with a bad burger.
Too late, I already won.

Booty Twerk GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
This one is. But, this thread was made for someone/anyone else to take ownership of and keep it going ;)

kPHMkjr.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Or you could have the Burger eat a vegan and talk about how there is no nutrition in their stringy bodies.
Getting ideas here...this isn't over just yet. Contest may be, but not personal comics.
"NEIN, ICH BIN EIN BERLINER!"
I always wished the whole humor in that was that it translated to, "No. I'm a jelly (filled) donut." It's cultural history now...so, that's material that can be worked with too.
I demand a recount 🤔

Congrats my little mouseball!

Great idea guys! Sorry I had some weird days Happosai Happosai
I was on the recount side until later in the evening yesterday. Poll hit a set number then and I had to settle before the thread fell of page 1. Otherwise, I was offering a winner but the contest was tipping toward the bottom.

Uh, I may still use your entry but for something yet to be seen. You'll find out this week hopefully ;)

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The winner: Whoever comes up with the best idea (community may vote on that GAFFER in the posts) gets their gag written into the final video and a private personalized copy via DM. Winner is free to share.

Post contest challenge: Keep it going. Many artists here. Post photo tutorials or your own contest within the terms of the forum and nominate a winner. Next one...you make the rules (within community guidelines). Maybe I'll drop one here or in the Artists Showcase thread...or, maybe you'll find one in your DMs at a random day/time.
Congratulations again kanjobazooie kanjobazooie ! Check your DMs and by the by...watch the video all. Last one and maybe some more fun to come.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

NeoGiffer it's not a troll thread. If you're not going to participate. Don't act like a clown or you'll get one on the house.
DyZNxYN.gif

Act like a clown? It's a thread about a gag contest? Oh and you liked my full stop and then put me in the final list. Making me all triggered as I've never won anything in my life. Then I'm off the final list?!!

So....

WolfOfWallStreetFlagI_MNOTFUCKINGLEAVINGFlagBannner-2022052413_2_530x@2x.jpg

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Act like a clown? It's a thread about a gag contest? Oh and you liked my full stop and then put me in the final list. Making me all triggered as I've never won anything in my life. Then I'm off the final list?!!
Cool down there, Giffer. Clowning was encouraged from OP, wasn't a troll post...you were derailing. I thought to include you as I'm fair. I'm not going to read someone who's never won anything and I'm an understandable person.
I can't make a comic GIF without actually animating.
Pitch me something though.
Sometimes our best comedy comes when we're not taking ourselves serious or when we're angry.
I'm not being sarcastic.
I think you have a point and if you really want to participate...we'll keep this going. But the 1st contest ended.

This thread if you read back to OP you'll see can pretty much keep going indefinitely. Make the rules on the next one. I'll just add two rules from my side: traditional art (drawing tabs are fine) and/or a sense of humor. Define what that is and edit the spoiler tag; needs to be a GIF ;)

NeoGiffer

Cool down there, Giffer. Clowning was encouraged from OP, wasn't a troll post...you were derailing. I thought to include you as I'm fair. I'm not going to read someone who's never won anything and I'm an understandable person.
I can't make a comic GIF without actually animating.
Pitch me something though.
Sometimes our best comedy comes when we're not taking ourselves serious or when we're angry.
I'm not being sarcastic.
I think you have a point and if you really want to participate...we'll keep this going. But the 1st contest ended.

This thread if you read back to OP you'll see can pretty much keep going indefinitely. Make the rules on the next one. I'll just add two rules from my side: traditional art (drawing tabs are fine) and/or a sense of humor. Define what that is and edit the spoiler tag; needs to be a GIF ;)

tldr
i gif therefore i am. why is it so hard to understand?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
That drawing is truly better than winning some clown competition.

joker-you-complete-me.gif
I hate being left out too and you've been around longer than I have. Felt there was something there even though I'd already put everything away for the day.
If I had enough arms, I'd probably just ink every AV in the forum. No one in this thread is exempt...though (by the way, don't watch the videos or you'll learn my 'tick' repetition ;)

Top Bottom