• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWong

Sorry if already known.

This guy is a Senior Software Engineer at EA Guildford, United Kingdom. Criterion studio if I'm right. On his linkedin profile it says:
Compétences et expertise

C C++ C# ARM PowerPC MIPS X86 68K WPF XAML MEL PS3 360 Wii Wii-U PC Mac PSP NDS iOS
A solid hint pointing to a Need for Speed: Most Wanted Wii U version in the work?

daakusedo

I'm not even sure myself.
But what is clear is that knowing nintendo it will be overpriced, so will just buy a cheaper tablet and multi-touch.
At this pace, Nintendo games won't make much time to end on it and with decent online like any cheap developers are doing.

that's true I could add some fuck here and there but I'm modest

Penguin

The impressions of Nintendo Land have been fairly positive, not sure if this was posted, but an interesting little tidbit

You have to trigger the vibration to attack, but you can also use that warning sign to subtly manipulate the movement of each character. When you grab a player and knock them down, you can also drag their prone body a certain distance. On my second or third play I realized I could grab players, knock them out, and then drag them into the middle room, which turned into my kill floor. I felt like the Xenomorph in Alien, hunting down each player one by one.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edit...information-and-killer-apps-luigis-ghost-mans

TunaLover

One thing that I keep hearing is that Wii U games like Ninja Gaiden 3 and AC3 runs with v-sync activated, so this extra power in Wii U is a great benefit IMO. Ninja Gaiden 3 for example has screen tearing in PS3/360

jwj442

The impressions of Nintendo Land have been fairly positive, not sure if this was posted, but an interesting little tidbit
The reason there was so much backlash against Nintendoland is that they made it the climax of their conference and they spent ten minutes explaining every minute detail of Luigi's Mansion. Nintendo really messed that up. On its own merits, it looks pretty good, and the art style on some of the games is quite charming.

jacksrb

Sorry if already known.

This guy is a Senior Software Engineer at EA Guildford, United Kingdom. Criterion studio if I'm right. On his linkedin profile it says:
A solid hint pointing to a Need for Speed: Most Wanted Wii U version in the work?

Would be awesome! Of the non-sports games EA is publishing, I would be most interested in the new Need For Speed and Overstrike coming to the Wii U.

DrWong

A little news I didn't see anywhere.

It seems Brave the Video Game (2012 release) : for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii and Nintendo 3DS will also come to Wii U. The game is listed on the French wikipedia page of the studio in charge, Behaviour Interactive. Also, a Senior Game Programmer of this studio is listing 2 Wii U projects on his linkedin profile:
<Unannounced Title> [X360, Wii U, Wii, 3DS]
<Unannounced Title> [PS3, X360, Wii, Wii U, Steam, iOS, Android, Facebook] (rescoped in 2012)
I think the other project is the Ice Age 4 game (also coming to Wii/3DS).

Diablos54

I swear Gaming Side's gone nuts... It 2006 ALL over again over there. So much Wii U doom and gloom, a lot of it based upon mis-information. It's actually quite funny to watch, but an it's annoying too.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Sorry if already known.

Hmmm... I was watching a recording of a guy from the Need4Speed games being interviewed on G4 at E3 and at the end he said the game would be comming to "all platforms".

Hmmm... I was watching a recording of a guy from the Need4Speed games being interviewed on G4 at E3 and at the end he said the game would be comming to "all platforms".

Excellent. My Linux box, Gamecube, Lynx, Virtual Boy and 2600 are all primed for a top-tier racing experience!

Terrell

Japan is our last hope guys, it seems like the west is a lost cause.

Wasn't it always? I've always interpreted "strong 3rd-party support" to mean "Japanese support", and have been totally OK with this the whole time.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/edit...information-and-killer-apps-luigis-ghost-mans

The comments on that article from PAR are hilarious. "Can't I already have this experience online?!" LOL, yeah, like I'm gonna tell my friends who are at my house for a drink, "hey guys, wanna play this cool game with me? OK, go home and we'll fire it up!" People just insist on being thick-headed nowadays, I swear.

I swear Gaming Side's gone nuts... It 2006 ALL over again over there. So much Wii U doom and gloom, a lot of it based upon mis-information. It's actually quite funny to watch, but an it's annoying too.

Yep. Some of them just never learn. But the reasons WHY they don't learn their lesson from the past are even more infinitely hilarious to behold.

TunaLover

Wasn't it always? I've always interpreted "strong 3rd-party support" to mean "Japanese support", and have been totally OK with this the whole time.

I will not lie, but I thought that during this E3 Nintendo was to reveal a lot of new western 3rd party games, they always stressed how important was the outside support, and how they were working to get third party games, maybe they were talking about japanese 3rd party support, will see, I'm not very optimistic about Wii U getting alot of third party support from Japan, hopefully I'm wrong.

japtor

:O Explain yourself, Please!
I saw it on another forum at least, I forget if it was posted here or not though.

I think Iwata said something about being open with whatever business models other companies want, like free to play or micro transactions or whatever.

rpmurphy

I saw it on another forum at least, I forget if it was posted here or not though.

I think Iwata said something about being open with whatever business models other companies want, like free to play or micro transactions or whatever.
It was discussed in the investor's Q&A (link):

We have designed the system from a technical standpoint to allow developers to freely take advantage of things like free to play and micro transactions.

However, this is primarily for other developers at the moment.
Currently, we are not actively looking at free to play for our first-party content and I don&#8217;t think that&#8217;s a direction that we should go in right now. But that doesn&#8217;t mean for the future that there may not come a time where we have specific content that might be suited to that model. If there are some people who feel that Mario is something that should be available as a free-to-play type model, I would have to clearly say that I disagree. But in the future if we come up with a very interesting idea of a novel game with totally different value and structure that would potentially be very well suited to free to play, we might go in that direction.

I've got to set aside some time to read through that Q&A completely.

I was thinking about it. I can actually see ZombiU having some non-gamer appeal.

I need a journo to ask Nintendo about getting Wii games to stream to the GamePad...

this is a must they have to find a way to get it to retro-stream without needing the scripts
LLShC.gif

Anth0ny

Maybe the casuals will be confused by Wii U. Sales will suffer, and Nintendo will go into try hard mode ala post 3DS launch. That means free games, price drops, and a shit ton of great games that will turn everything around ^_^

BlackJace

Maybe the casuals will be confused by Wii U. Sales will suffer, and Nintendo will go into try hard mode ala post 3DS launch. That means free games, price drops, and a shit ton of great games that will turn everything around ^_^

The return of Desperate Nintendo. Arguably the best Nintendo.

What do you mean?

A lot of games designed for the gaming enthusiast have a lot of things going on at once and that can be overwhelming for a non-gamer. ZombiU so far from what we've seen doesn't do that. I can see the fear factor at least piquing the interest of some of them.

Terrell

What do you mean?

A lot of games designed for the gaming enthusiast have a lot of things going on at once and that can be overwhelming for a non-gamer. ZombiU so far from what we've seen doesn't do that. I can see the fear factor at least piquing the interest of some of them.

Not only that, but with zombies so present in modern pop culture (The Walking Dead, zombie walks, etc), if Ubisoft billed this as a form of "zombie apocalypse simulation" rather than just another FPS, I could see lots of casual players getting hooked by the mechanics.

shnord

Neo Member
Not only that, but with zombies so present in modern pop culture (The Walking Dead, zombie walks, etc), if Ubisoft billed this as a form of "zombie apocalypse simulation" rather than just another FPS, I could see lots of casual players getting hooked by the mechanics.
I realized right away that it was being aimed at casuals, or at least being designed as a "bridge title".

Even if Zombi U turns out to be a decent game, the premise is just not interesting to me at all. I am so sick of zombies! At least Killer Freaks had some originality, and I liked the dark humor angle and "Cockney Nukem". But yeah, it's obvious why they changed it because this way it will appeal to a wider audience. Understandable, but disappointing...

Also here's a question -- what the hell is the point of the magnetometer if the GamePad gyro still has drift issues? I find that completely unacceptable. It doesn't seem complicated to me to just have a one-time calibration that stores the compass direction of the TV and then use that to know where the TV is. What's preventing this?

japtor

I realized right away that it was being aimed at casuals, or at least being designed as a "bridge title".

Even if Zombi U turns out to be a decent game, the premise is just not interesting to me at all. I am so sick of zombies! At least Killer Freaks had some originality, and I liked the dark humor angle and "Cockney Nukem". But yeah, it's obvious why they changed it because this way it will appeal to a wider audience. Understandable, but disappointing...
I have the same feeling for the premise of zombies, but at least the game itself seems interesting beyond that.
Also here's a question -- what the hell is the point of the magnetometer if the GamePad gyro still has drift issues? I find that completely unacceptable. It doesn't seem complicated to me to just have a one-time calibration that stores the compass direction of the TV and then use that to know where the TV is. What's preventing this?
Thinking about it a bit...I guess calibration would break and require recalibration if you moved much anyway, so in the case of a demo environment where the controller gets passed around I could see them not bothering. Otherwise I guess possible speed or accuracy/infterference issues?

As for why they're including it at all, it could just happen to come as a feature of whatever accelerometer+gyro part they're using. Like this one, just the first hit I found searching for "accelerometer gyroscope magnetometer module".

And they've mixed in old DS complaints too. "They can't do anything with an extra screen." Which was proven so wrong hundreds of times. Personally, I like drawing in games like Canvas Curse and Touch and Go where it creates something in the game world. Imagining that in a 3d game is just so tantalizing.

The other thing that grinds my gears is many of the people clamoring for extra powerful consoles are either PC gamers who want better ports; or people who don't mind buying multiple, overheating consoles that don't get fixed for 5 years. I love my 360 but it was painful to get to the slim. They copy everything else Nintendo does except their durability and customer service.

lednerg

If you move to a different seat in your room, the compass isn't going to know that. It's just going to be pointing to north like it always does.

Anyway, they're using it because the gamepad doesn't have an IR camera - so it's using magnetic north as a stable point of reference instead of a sensor bar. Also, pretty much all gyro sensors have drift, it's not just some cheap thing that Nintendo is doing.

AzaK

My doom and gloom is not for Nintendo but for my gaming. The quality western third party support is essentially nowhere to be seen (or heard) yet. We hear from Take Two that they aren't really interested in Wii U, no mention of Tomb Raider, Far Cry is a no go, No RE 6 or Bioshock mentioned. If those games aren't coming, it's not a good proposition IMO.

DrWong

I've got to set aside some time to read through that Q&A completely.

I was thinking about it. I can actually see ZombiU having some non-gamer appeal.

I had the same feeling when testing it: bridge game. Note that for the moment we only know about its local 2 player mode, the demoed stage. But this mode is clearly more "casual friendly" in the sense that it's local first, and with gamepad it's simpler way to enjoy the game by just throwing zombies on the map with the touchscreen interface. While waiting for my turn to test the game I had this situation with a girl & a guy playing like that... Also, the "zombifieticator" feature could works with casuals.

shnord

Neo Member
Thinking about it a bit...I guess calibration would break and require recalibration if you moved much anyway, so in the case of a demo environment where the controller gets passed around I could see them not bothering. Otherwise I guess possible speed or accuracy/infterference issues?

As for why they're including it at all, it could just happen to come as a feature of whatever accelerometer+gyro part they're using. Like this one, just the first hit I found searching for "accelerometer gyroscope magnetometer module".

If you move to a different seat in your room, the compass isn't going to know that. It's just going to be pointing to north like it always does.
Well yeah, I guess technically you'd have to recalibrate if you use the controller from a different position. It could be implemented really simply at least: press the home button, tap the immediately accessible recalibration icon, hold the controller up toward the TV, it counts down from 3 and sets it (very nintendo-y), then press home to return to your game. When you first turn the system on it would ask you to do this right off the bat to get you used to it, and then make the icon flash and be like "THIS IS WHERE THE ICON IS DURRR". You'd only have to do this once from your current position. If you play from the same seat every time, you wouldn't ever have to recalibrate at all. Positions only slightly off wouldn't really need recalibration either unless you're super OCD (like me, lulz).

Anyway, they're using it because the gamepad doesn't have an IR camera - so it's using magnetic north as a stable point of reference instead of a sensor bar. Also, pretty much all gyro sensors have drift, it's not just some cheap thing that Nintendo is doing.
It doesn't seem like it's doing its job though. Watching the reticule gradually drift while people were flinging shuriken in Takamaru's Ninja Castle was really irritating (and depressing). Maybe Nintendo just hasn't taken advantage of it yet, but I dunno...

I've actually been pretty optimistic about Wii U, but this one little thing is really bugging me for some reason.

My doom and gloom is not for Nintendo but for my gaming. The quality western third party support is essentially nowhere to be seen (or heard) yet. We hear from Take Two that they aren't really interested in Wii U, no mention of Tomb Raider, Far Cry is a no go, No RE 6 or Bioshock mentioned. If those games aren't coming, it's not a good proposition IMO.

It's early yet. As Reggie said, "I wouldn't take the fact that things haven't been announced yet as a signal that it's not happening." Still, it wouldn't surprise me if western 3rd parties shunned the Wii U. Even though the Wii U represents a fresh start for Nintendo, unfortunately, it appears that many in the industry are already looking to pigeonhole the console.

I compiled some info:

Code:
Scribblenauts Unlimited 	1080p	   60 fps	FSAA
New Super Mario Bros. U		 720p 	   60 fps	AA
Nintendo Land			 720p	   60 fps
Ninja Gaiden 3 			 720p 	   60 fps 		v-sync
Batman 				 720p 	   30 fps 		v-sync
Project P-100			 720p	   60 fps	
Rayman Legends			 720p	   60 fps
Mass Effect 3			 720p	   60 fps
Pikmin 3 			 720p 	   60 fps
Zombi U 			 720p 	   30 fps
Lego City: Undercover		 720p	   
Trine 2: Director's Cut 	 720p			FXAA

IdeaMan noted that most games will have AA at launch.

ElTopo said:
I think DD is already a (financial) trainwreck, no point in wasting resources to port it to other platforms, especially since they probably won't continue the franchise afterwards. If you have to choose between a huge franchise and DD, which would you (honestly) port ?
I don't know about what kind of costs DD had, but it just had one of the biggest launches ever for a new IP in Japan. Based solely on that I'd be surprised if they didn't want to do something further with the series.
Digital Foundry said:
In either of these games, gameplay projected to the HDTV is typically mirrored to the smaller screen, and the high level of clarity does heavily suggest that the controller is being sent a separate framebuffer to suit its native resolution, as opposed to having the HDTV's 1280x720 output downscaled. Such additional scaling would result in a degree of blurriness, which we do find to be somewhat true of games like New Super Mario Bros. U. In this case, we notice the lower display leaves Mario looking fuzzier than he perhaps should
Are they basically knocking on supersampling here?
jwj442 said:
The reason there was so much backlash against Nintendoland is that they made it the climax of their conference and they spent ten minutes explaining every minute detail of Luigi's Mansion. Nintendo really messed that up. On its own merits, it looks pretty good, and the art style on some of the games is quite charming.
Basically the Pac-Man Vs. effect from nearly a decade back, though with a bigger game.

I compiled some info:

And Pikmin 3 is going to have 60 fps at launch (don't know the source).

What's your source for that info? And is that info how the demos were at E3, or what the launch targets are, considering there are months of development left on most titles?

What's your source for that info? And is that info how the demos were at E3, or what the launch targets are, considering there are months of development left on most titles?
Scribblenauts: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38711446&postcount=60
Trine 2: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=38685181#post38685181 & http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38702037&postcount=138

The rest is from the Digital Foundry - articles at Eurogamer.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-wiiu-e3-2012
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-hands-on-with-wii-u

This info is for the demos at E3.

Launch targets are written below if available.

Luigison

Sorry to bring this up again, but have the shoulder and trigger buttons been confirmed to be analog or digital?

Nintendo.com lists them simply as "L/R buttons, ZL/ZR buttons" which make me think the OP is correct in calling them digital.

I just did a Google search and some sites list them as digital while others list them as analog. A few days ago I thought I read a thread on the gaming forum on NeoGAF that said they would be analog, but I can't find the thread now.

Has anything official been said either way?

I compiled some info:

Code:
Scribblenauts Unlimited 	1080p	   60 fps	FSAA
New Super Mario Bros. U		 720p 	   60 fps	AA
Nintendo Land			 720p	   60 fps
Ninja Gaiden 3 			 720p 	   60 fps 		v-sync
Batman 				 720p 	   30 fps 		v-sync
Project P-100			 720p	   60 fps	
Rayman Legends			 720p	   60 fps
Mass Effect 3			 720p	   60 fps
Pikmin 3 			 720p 	   30 fps
Zombi U 			 720p 	   30 fps
Lego City: Undercover		 720p	   
Trine 2: Director's Cut 	 720p			FXAA

And Pikmin 3 is going to have 60 fps at launch (don't know the source).

Is it a big deal that Zombi U is only 30 fps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom