• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lednerg

Stephen Totilo points it out. (starts taking about it around 1:50)

He does mention Nintendo reps have said they're still working on it, but that could just mean they're doing something on the software side to try to combat it better but it won't actually solve the issue outright.

Okay, so my system-wide calibration idea is kind of unnecessary if the games themselves prompt you to calibrate when you start playing anyway (although it would still be a nice option for advanced users who'd like to get rid of the prompts completely). Still, needing to press a button to recenter is an added hassle ON TOP of that. It got pretty annoying in Skyward Sword.

Playstation Move has a magnetometer and it still suffers from drift as well. Maybe they just chose faulty chips? I don't know.

It just seems like the magnetometer doesn't guarantee that it will give the device a totally reliable point of reference, which is confusing to me because you'd think "NORTH IS THAT WAY" should always be constant.

Anyway, I really hope the core issue can be fixed. Pressing a button to manually recenter needs to go away. You should only need to tell the system once where the TV is relative to where you're sitting and then forget about it.

It would be cool if they went a step further and when you first turned on the system it asked you to hold the controller right up against your TV screen to calibrate. From then on, the system would always know where the TV was in physical space relative to the controller. Even if the controller was facing away from the TV it would know where the TV was -- something the regular sensor bar can't provide. You'd only ever have to recalibrate if you moved the TV, repositioned the console or sensor bar 2.0 (whichever is transmitting signals to be used for positional data), or hooked the system up to a different TV.

Can't see that happening though!

It's a software issue, namely, the sensor fusion algorithm (or the lack of one). That means they have to adjust how the accelerometer, gyroscope, and magnetometer readings are all combined to come up with the most accurate result. With that Ninja Castle game, I get the feeling they're not even using the magnetometer and are only relying on the other two sensors for the time being. Like any demo at E3, we're talking about prototype software running on prototype hardware, so I wouldn't get too freaked out about it. The combination of those three sensors has been used for good long while now; its proven tech, used in a multitude of commercial, automotive, aviation, and military applications.

As far as placing the Gamepad onto the screen when calibrating - that would only work if you're going to remain directly in front of the screen. If you're sitting off to the side, then it will act like your TV is also off to the side. The Gamepad has no idea where you actually are in 3D space, just the direction north was when you last calibrated as well as the up/down (pitch) angle you were pointing. Also, the Sensor Bar is only used for the Wiimote and (possibly) the Gamepad's Zapper attachment.

shnord

Neo Member
The gamepad has no idea where you actually are in 3D space, just the direction north was when you last calibrated as well as the up/down (pitch) angle you were pointing.
Sorry, I meant it would be cool if they went a step further and added the positional capability to the hardware (which they won't).

Fabrik

Banned
Unrelated, the Nintendoland main hub area kinda reminded me of Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts in its visuals, which is very much a good thing since that's one of the 360's most beautiful games IMO. There's even the robot-like host character!

Yeah it's crazy how similar they look!

banjo-kazooie-nuts-bolts-20080911092526638.jpg

nintendo-land-hangout-540x305.jpg

Unrelated, the Nintendoland main hub area kinda reminded me of Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts in its visuals, which is very much a good thing since that's one of the 360's most beautiful games IMO. There's even the robot-like host character!

The first thing I thought of. Not a good thing for me though, the game was hideous. I don't even want to touch this thing if it's pack in.

Terrell

Yeah it's crazy how similar they look!

banjo-kazooie-nuts-bolts-20080911092526638.jpg

nintendo-land-hangout-540x305.jpg

OK, so first, yes, that "knitted fabric/papercraft" motif through all of NintendoLand is really fantastic and an appreciated touch. Sort of borders between the theme park motif and that of old-fashioned children's toys.

But also.... HOLY SHIT, THE MIIS HAVE PROPER LIMBS AND PROPORTIONS! THANK YOU BASED NINTENDO!!!

Had the same thought when they first showed it off. Nuts & Bolts is still a wonderfully looking game so no qualms here that Nintendoland invokes thought of those visuals.

Amazon.fr has Fifa 13 and Need for Speed: Most Wanted listed for Wii U. With the Criterion guy listing the Wii U on his linkedin profile I linked yesterday it's the second hint pointing to a NfS MW Wii U version >

http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0088XLFQE/
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0088XLFJG/

Ooh! Kick ass! :D Can you post the linkedin link?

I hope Firebrand is behind a potential 3DS version. Does The Run on 3DS run in 60fps? The Wii version (also by Firebrand) is 30fps oddly.

Shame Firebrand didn't make Hot Pursuit Wii, would've been a beautiful package IMO, still, I can appreciate the Exient Wii version solely for its unique approach, it's seems to be at least so-so. The Run Wii was fun. :)

Edit: This one?

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=6727889

Not viewable by outsiders it seems, I got the link from your earlier post.

Effect

Upon seeing the videos coming out of E3, the one thing that impressed me most about ZombiU's visuals was the lighting. Odd that I didn't really see anyone talking about it.

I like to think people are more interested in the general setup of the game. The one life per character, having to track down your own supplies, kill your previous character, etc. The game certainly looked nice though graphically and personally that's as much time I put into thinking about the graphics. I've been over the HD-ness of graphics for a long time unless something looks amazing. The only game that really did that for me out of E3 was Watch_Dogs.

I do hope the locations in ZombiU are varied. Underground subways, not just local shops but business buildings, parks, etc.

Penguin

A bit OT, but apparently the CEO of Crytek/UK put up a facebook page to save Timesplitters 4, it was going to be on Wii in addition to PS360 obviously, so certainly there's hope of a Wii U version if it happens:

http://www.facebook.com/Timesplitters4PLZ/

They're aiming at minimum 100,000 likes, right now they're just over 2000. I did my part.

Does this have its own thread?

The way GAF talks, I would imagine more would want in.

Terrell

Have we discussed Iwata's confirmation that you can buy DD games from other devices and have them finish downloading before you get home? I thought that it was an obvious inclusion but still totally awesome.

what about this light is impressive and cannot be done on current gen?

is it the fence's shadows?

To be honest, I really don't know if it's possible on PS3/360. I was just impressed by things like the numerous light sources and the way they cast realistic shadows, the way the lightning flashes cast proper shadows, the shadows of objects cast from the player's flashlight, the reflections of light off of objects creating highlights on walls (visible in nursery), etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukalSSHAfa8

Have we discussed Iwata's confirmation that you can buy DD games from other devices and have them finish downloading before you get home? I thought that it was an obvious inclusion but still totally awesome.

Didn't he indicate that at one of the Investor's meetings?

To be honest, I really don't know if it's possible on PS3/360. I was just impressed by things like the numerous light sources and the way they cast realistic shadows, the way the lightning flashes cast proper shadows, the shadows of objects cast from the player's flashlight, the reflections of light off of objects creating highlights on walls (visible in nursery), etc.

All while only using half of Wii U's potential. [face_Iwata]

That video isn't something to be forming a basis off of.

Are there any direct-feed play-throughs of this demo?

Terrell

Didn't he indicate that at one of the Investor's meetings?

Yes, the most recent one that was held after E3. And he didn't "indicate" anything, he confirmed it. Though, like accessibility to Miiverse on smartphones, it won't be ready at launch, from the sound of it.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30737

It's things like this that make me wonder where all the doom and gloom about Nintendo's online approach is coming from now.

Terrell

I meant like a few months ago.

I don't recall any discussion directly from Iwata about this specific feature, I think it was us filling in the blanks from previous investor meetings. Because before E3, we had no indication that Nintendo was going to provide accessibility to any direct interaction with Nintendo Network outside of their own devices.

Boss Man

Is the Wii U going to upscale games like Super Mario Galaxy?

I'm not really planning on getting a Wii U, but if it upscales then there's no way I'll be able to pick up a Wii for SMG knowing that I could play it in HD. I'd rather wait another several years and soak it up real good on Wii U.

This seems like a silly question but I know people are already playing this stuff in HD on PC so I thought it might be likely. If so, I'm surprised more people aren't talking about and excited for the opportunity to play SMG 1/2 in HD.

Terrell

Is the Wii U going to upscale games like Super Mario Galaxy?

I'm not really planning on getting a Wii U, but if it upscales then there's no way I'll be able to pick up a Wii for SMG knowing that I could play it in HD. I'd rather wait another several years and soak it up real good on Wii U.

This seems like a silly question but I know people are already playing this stuff in HD on PC so I thought it might be likely. If so, I'm surprised more people aren't talking about and excited for the opportunity to play SMG 1/2 in HD.

From all we've heard, no, it doesn't upscale.

However, your purchasing pattern confuses me. Your plan was to buy a Wii now and then not pick up a WiiU until... when? Because it sounds to me like you could end up with a WiiU that plays both games for the same price you'd pay for them separately, price drops accounted for.

That was about the web store though, right? I don't think he confirmed they wanted to also do remote downloads of purchases via SpotPass until now.

I don't recall any discussion directly from Iwata about this specific feature, I think it was us filling in the blanks from previous investor meetings. Because before E3, we had no indication that Nintendo was going to provide accessibility to any direct interaction with Nintendo Network outside of their own devices.

I guess I was misremembering. It was from a rumor.

http://www.maxconsole.com/cgi-bin/maxconsole/rknewz.pl?function=detail&id=RKLS0000005265

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Upon seeing the videos coming out of E3, the one thing that impressed me most about ZombiU's visuals was the lighting. Odd that I didn't really see anyone talking about it.

The E3 demo looked like a current gen game, through and through. That doesn't mean it looked bad, but I'm not seeing anything that makes me go bonkers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom