• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Boogiepop

Haha, chapter 7 was soooooooooooo long. Kept thinking it was going to end, but it didn't. Just finished it. I was very glad to have 3 characters again. Of course chapter 8 decides to shoot me back to the other two, so there goes that. Also, some of those enemies were MEAN. Those damn motorbikes and their gatling guns were instant kill if they used the attack, even with buffing. So the game managed to finally convince me that using the sprays was a good idea, at least every once in a while.

Oh, and something that's been bugging me: are some/most of the upgrade components supposed to be useless? There are a lot that hardly add anything, some in the single digits!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Also, some of those enemies were MEAN. Those damn motorbikes and their gatling guns were instant kill if they used the attack, even with buffing. So the game managed to finally convince me that using the sprays was a good idea, at least every once in a while.
You should be switching to the SEN class for that, since it defends against it pretty heavily (and provides defense for other people in the party).

Oh, and something that's been bugging me: are some/most of the upgrade components supposed to be useless? There are a lot that hardly add anything, some in the single digits!
This is how Upgrade components are supposed to be used:
Well, you could level up weapons, but you really don't have to do it unless you want the trophy.

The items you really need are the sturdy bones/vibrant oozes/barbed tails to increase the multiplier to x3 and just use Superconductors/Perfect Conductor/Particle Accelerators/Ultracompact Reactors to increase the XP on the weapons. Those are all the ingredients you ever need. Hold onto the bomb cores/fragments/bomb whatevers and the chocobo feathers in case you need quick items to increase the multipliers.

Basically, the weapon system works like this:

-> all of the weapons get XP from the items
-> the items are divided into two groups: organic items and synthetic items
-> organic items like bones, oozes, tails, feathers, etc can be used to INCREASE XP multipliers. This is what you should do first. Usually, it takes 36 sturdy bones/vibrant oozes/barbed tails to increase the multiplier to x3 (which is the highest). I suggest using these ingredients to increase the multiplier because they're the cheapest items in the shops.
-> synthetic items like conductors, accelerators, and reactors gives lots of XP, but they DECREASE XP multipliers. This is what you apply after you increase the weapon multiplier to x3 with the organic items to level up your weapons quickly.
-> so basically, you apply the organic items to increase the multiplier to x3, and then apply the synthetic items to level up the weapons.

You can't really use the weapon/accessory items for anything other than levelling those things up. They're sellable, though I wouldn't advise just doing that yet if you want to level the weapons up in the future. The items don't drop a lot, so it's best to hold onto them.
It's better to do it when you're pretty much towards the end of postgame if you're chasing after the plat, but if not, you can start doing it now.

If you can get past Chapter 10 (which is the worst chapter in the game, imo), you're golden.

Natetan

And now I've beaten X. The grinding proved effective in ripping Jecht to shreds (9999 constant hits! More than that with Doublecast/Overdrives!), but the second form proved to put up a fight and almost got me. Ultimate Jecht Shot is formidable. And then as I was recovering from that, the game decided to give him about 10 turns in a row for some freakish reason, and I would of had a game over if it wasn't for a VERY fortunate evasion. Then I discovered how broken Quick Attack (or w/e it actually was called) is and tore him to shreds.

But yeah, that has to be one of the weirdest/most poorly thought out unloseable finales. I mean, the summons are already pushing it, but then the game makes you spend forever waiting for the stupid looking tick god to self destruct. Not exactly ending on a high note, boss battle wise, heh.

Overall, this is probably one of the hardest FFs to pin down. I really like the battle system. The sphere grid is pretty cool (until I ran into more locks than I had keys and kind of dead ended a little at the end). On the other hand, the story/voice acting was painful and intrusive for the majority of the game (though the last 1/3 or so got kind of decent.) And Tidus's higher quality cutscene model always looked odd to me. Like he had buckteeth and/or a bad tan or something. Just weird. This also seems to be the only post N64/PS1 gen game I've seen that didn't figure out how dumb it is to make players sit on a "the end" screen until they shut the console off. Bleh.

More troubling, the game definitely seems to like to funnel you, with most of the game being pretty much linear hallways (a complaint that I'm sure I'll have again with XIII, if its reputation is to be believed). Especially with the little "go here" arrow, it really feels like the game doesn't care much for letting you explore at all. On the other hand, I didn't really try wandering too far off the beaten path in the handful of sprawling areas (desert, field), so there's probably at least a bit to check out. And I'd imagine the numerous sidequests I didn't bother with would also help.

All in all, though, as I'm playing much more for the gameplay anyway, I'd still rank this one pretty high. Right now I'm thinking maybe just below V, VI, and IX.

Now, only one more to go! On to XIII! I'm hopeful that I may make it through them all before my copy of Theatrhythm arrives after all. One last time (sorry for always asking this. VIII kinda worried me a little when I more or less got stuck and had to throw away a bit of progress), but is there anything big to watch out for/make sure to do in XIII so I don't get stuck?

X is the only post FFVII final fantasy I've really enjoyed. (I haven't played XII, which has great FMV but not sure if I'll enjoy the actual game). I thought the story tied together very well, and the voice acting was really good for a first crack at it. Sure yoonah seems a bit too soft and its hard to translate alot of the Japanese type modest stuff she says all the time into English without sounding awkward. I thought the voice acting overall was good except for that. The battle system was great too. I loved the summoning and wish that had become a mainstay. Loved that they allowed you to cut the summon animations. Corridors and flashing arrows never bothered me much.

Anyway, was pleasantly suprised by this game, since I bought it as a joke almost. After losing all faith in Square after playing VII and IX (both which I disliked extremely), I really got into this game. Yeah the end boss is wierd, but all final fantasy's have wierd end bosses. I love the music during the battle against yu yevon. so good.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Updated summary (sorry for the triple post).

Final Fantasy

Aeana PSP: Part 1A, 1B, 2, 3, 4
Scythian PSP: Part 1, 2, 3
perfect free iOS: Part 1, 2, 3
Cyan NES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
catchan PSP: Part 1, 2
BreakyBoy PSX: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Jucksalbe PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
kswiston PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Heropon PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
IdreamofHIME : Part 1
Entropia GBA: Part 1, 2, 3
Ourobolus GBA: Part 1, 2
ATF487 PSP: Part 1
ninjatrigg PSP: Part 1
upandaway PSP: Part 1

Final Fantasy II

Aeana PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Goli PSP: Part 1
Heropon PSP: Part 1, 2, 3
charlequin : Part 1, 2
Johnas : Part 1, 2
Ultratech GBA: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Ourobolus iOS: Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Entropia : Part 1, 2, 3
Chris25 iOS: Part 1, 2
IdreamofHIME : Part 1
Scythian PSP: Part 1
ninjatrigg PSP: Part 1
CorvoSol : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Final Fantasy III

Aeana Famicom: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Jucksalbe Famicom; Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 , 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
stupei DS: Part 1, 2, 3
Heropon DS: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
TranceKuja Famicom: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Entropia DS: Part 1, 2, 3
Ourobolus Famicom: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Psxphile DS: Part 1, 2
Kaori's Babydaddy Famicom: Part 1, 2, 3
ninjatrigg DS: Part 1

Final Fantasy IV

Absoludacrous PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Jucksalbe PSP: Part 1, 2
itzknickknac PSP: Part 1
Goli PSP: Part 1, 2, 3
Aeana PSP: Part 1, 2
Zing SNES: Part 1
Heropon PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Kalnos DS: Part 1
Zerokku PSP: Part 1
Paches-EJ- SNES: Part 1, 2
Ourobolus PSP: Part 1, 2, 3
Red Scarlet SNES: Part 1, 2

Final Fantasy IV - The After Years

Electivirus PSP: Part 1, 2, 3

Final Fantasy V

HiddenWings GBA: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
Labadal : Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Aeana SFC: Part 1, 2
Schnei871 : Part 1
Entropia : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Heropon GBA: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
coopolon : Part 1
JCV : Part 1, 2

Jucksalbe

Banned
Final Fantasy VI

Vamphuntr PSX: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
FrontalMonk : Part 1
Aeana : Part 1, 2, 3, 4
Entropia : Part 1, 2
Natetan : Part 1, 2, 3
Heropon SNES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
FGMPR PSX: Part 1
Rei_Toei : Part 1, 2, 3
Ourobolus GBA: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Final Fantasy VII

Gravijah : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Lindsay : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, Bonus
StuBurns : Part 1
Entropia : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Aeana : Part 1
Heropon : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Ourobolous : Part 1
Boogiepop : Part 1, 2, 3, 4
TxdoHawk : Part 1
led4lyfe : Part 1, 2, 3
Forceatowolf : Part 1, 2
GrumpyAlien : Part 1, 2, 3
Kagari : Part 1

Final Fantasy VIII

SFGamer : Part 1
chris-013 : Part 1
Wildesy : Part 1
xist : Part 1
TranceKuja : Part 1, 2
Heropon : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Boogiepop : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Final Fantasy IX

Billychu : Part 1, 2, 3
Lactose_Intolerant : Part 1
TranceKuja : Part 1, 2, 3
pikablu : Part 1, 2
Boogiepop : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
DarkKyo : Part 1

Final Fantasy X

led4lyfe : Part 1
Boogiepop : Part 1, 2, 3, 4

Final Fantasy X-2

Jucksalbe : Part 1

Final Fantasy XI

Xaekid PC: Part 1, 2, 3

Final Fantasy XII

chris-013 Zodiac: Part 1, 2, 3

Final Fantasy XIII

Rahxephon91 : Part 1, 2
Seda: Part 1
Ourobolus: Part 1
TheSeks : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Roubjon : Part 1, 2
CorvoSol : Part 1, 2, 3
Boogiepop : Part 1, 2

Final Fantasy XIII-2

DR2K : Part 1
CorvoSol : Part 1, 2, 3, 4

Jucksalbe

Banned
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light

Aeana : Part 1

Final Fantasy Tactics

chris-013 PSP: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Final Fantasy Tactics A2

Labadal : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Final Fantasy Type-0

CorvoSol : Part 1, 2

Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core

Locke_211: Part 1, 2

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers

Goli : Part 1
Anslon : Part 1, 2

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time

CorvoSol : Part 1

Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon

Jucksalbe: Part 1, 2

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (Legend) aka This game...!
mByij.gif

Jucksalbe SNES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Dark Schala SNES: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
CorvoSol : Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Seiken Densetsu / Final Fantasy Adventure / Mystic Quest

Jucksalbe SGB: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Chocobo Racing

Jucksalbe: Part 1
HiddenWings: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Final Fantasy Legend 2

CorvoSol : Part 1

Bonus: If you want to take screenshots on your PSP, follow Stumpokapow's instructions here and here.
Bonus 2: Need to get rid of black borders in your pictures? Look here.

If you find a mistake or something I missed, feel free to contact me.

Boogiepop

Just beat down Cid, and wow is the new level in the crystarium expensive! Hopefully the enemy cp drops spike up soon, or that's going to take a while to fill. Also, still holding out hope that I may be able to finish this before Theatrhythm arrives. Based on tracking it'll probably pop up some point between tomorrow and Saturday. Still a chance, but it's looking like I may have to sit it to the side for a bit as I finish this up.

Boogiepop

I know I've complained about some of the chapters being long before, but chapter 11 was ungodly long. I mean, I think I added maybe 8 hours to what WAS 20 hours, and I didn't even really bother with the sidequests.

And they sure know how to top it off with a kind of mean boss fight. I mean, he just knocks my buffs off, has an insane amount of HP, and requires a constant healer in your party because he does decent damage and (more importantly) inflicts a ton of statuses on the party. And just when I think I have the rhythm down, slowly but surely wittling down his massive health, the bastard cast Doom on Lightning. Which, far as I can tell, can't be removed. So I rush and rush and hurry as fast as I can, because if that Doom finishes it's instant game over, and I don't want to do this LOOOOOOOOOOONG boss fight again. I summon out Odin and do as much damage as I can, and then just rush with no regards for healing. Take him out at almost literally the last second. It was REALLY close, heh. Anyway, here's hoping the last chapters aren't as long as that monster of a chapter was.

Edit: Whoops, sorry for the double post.

CorvoSol

Update:

I have finished FF2 and FFMQ. I'll post my final stats for those games later. Started Soul of Rebirth, finished the Desert in Echoes of Time, found Asura's Tower in World 2 in FFL2, and am grinding in Type-0 because Agito Tower, Dark Suzaku, and 8AGilgamesh all kick my butt.

All told, I've beaten FFXIII, FFXIII-2, FFII, FFMQ and FFT-0 so far this year.

FF2 Stats:

Firion: 5058 HP/280 MP/ Lv11 Swords, Lv9 Spears, Lv 10 Ultima.
Maria: 4784 HP/ 195 MP/ Lv10 Bows, Lv 10 Holy
Guy: 3658 HP/ 162 MP/ Lv 10 Axes, Lv 10 Shields, Lv 8 Flare
Leon: 2485 HP/ 37 MP/ Lv 10 Axes, 7 Knives, 9 Swords, 8 Spears.

FFMQ Stats:
Benjamin: Lv 37, every item except whatever goes between the gas mask and the thunder stone.

I'd post my stats for Type-0, but I'm on my 3rd playthrough, grinding to level 70. I figure to take down Suzaku and Agito, though, I'll need to just flat out max.

Just picked up FF2 and IV in the sale, I can now continue with my playthrough in order and hopefully by the time I finish them PSone games will be playable on the Vita.

Boogiepop

And I have now beaten all mainline FFs (MMOs and sequels excluded). Having beaten XIII, I found it to actually pretty damn good, and I'd rank it in my top level of FFs. For the whole series, I'd probably say VI>V=IX>X=XIII>VIII>VII>III>IV>II>I>XII, at least in terms of how much fun I had with them.

Honestly, I'm left wondering why X is considered a classic whereas XIII is considered impossibly crappy and a series killer. They really seem to share most of the same faults and strengths, and are pretty damn similar overall. As a whole, I'd say XIII is the more cohesive whole and has far better plot/characters (I really, really liked Snow), while X has a bit more accessible/enjoyable gameplay. Just seems odd how different the reception of these two games seems to be.

Oh, and I'm definitely not planning to run out and buy them after marathoning through five long FFs, but how are the sequel games? Is After Years worth playing at all for someone who felt IV was kind meh? Are X-2 and XIII-2 worth picking up seeing how I enjoyed the originals (though I've heard that maybe I should wait for the apparently inevitable XIII-3, as there's supposed to be something wrong with XIII-2's ending)? Is Crisis Core worth grabbing? I'm assuming Dirge of Cerberus is crappy, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, and I'm definitely not planning to run out and buy them after marathoning through five long FFs, but how are the sequel games? Is After Years worth playing at all for someone who felt IV was kind meh? Are X-2 and XIII-2 worth picking up seeing how I enjoyed the originals (though I've heard that maybe I should wait for the apparently inevitable XIII-3, as there's supposed to be something wrong with XIII-2's ending)? Is Crisis Core worth grabbing? I'm assuming Dirge of Cerberus is crappy, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
X-2 and Crisis Core are excellent and definitely worth playing. X-2 has a weaker story but better gameplay than its predecessor, IMO. I actually think CC is better than VII, but I've never been a hardcore VII fan anyway. As a XIII fan, XIII-2 is definitely worth playing (I didn't like it as much as XIII but it was still fun) but you might want to hold off until XIII-3 is on the horizon if you don't want to be left hanging plot wise. Haven't played After Years or Dirge yet; I'm also kind of meh on IV, so After Years has never felt like a priority.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Honestly, I'm left wondering why X is considered a classic whereas XIII is considered impossibly crappy and a series killer. They really seem to share most of the same faults and strengths, and are pretty damn similar overall. As a whole, I'd say XIII is the more cohesive whole and has far better plot/characters (I really, really liked Snow), while X has a bit more accessible/enjoyable gameplay. Just seems odd how different the reception of these two games seems to be.

Yes, they are pretty similar and at least at the beginning XIII was often compared to X. But, at least for me, the battle system in X is a lot better and you can tweak around more (equipment is still important!, I hate how XIII handles the shops and items in general). The characters are miles ahead of the crew of XIII, personally I found Snow to be one of the most horrible characters to ever take part in an FF game, but it seems you don't agree.
Also, you seem to have rushed through these games, so maybe you didn't notice, but X has a lot more stuff to do on the side. And there's some stuff that's (I think) exclusive to the International/PAL version like the Dark Aeons. I've put over 100 hours into this game (twice!) and have never done it all.
Oh, and it has the better soundtrack.

Is After Years worth playing at all for someone who felt IV was kind meh? Are X-2 and XIII-2 worth picking up seeing how I enjoyed the originals (though I've heard that maybe I should wait for the apparently inevitable XIII-3, as there's supposed to be something wrong with XIII-2's ending)? Is Crisis Core worth grabbing? I'm assuming Dirge of Cerberus is crappy, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
X-2 is very different from X, but still great (if you like the humour, look up the intro!), XIII-2 is XIII, but improved in every way. The ending is fine, some people just can't appreciate the way it's handled. But yeah, it leaves big room for another sequel. The game also really helps if you're still not sure what happened in XIII.
Crisis Core is great in parts. Some story parts are really bad, but the last part of the game more than makes up for it, it's really worth it if you liked the story in FF VII.
Avoid Dirge of Cerberus.
The After Years is a nice bonus for the Complete Collection but it's not worth it to buy it separately.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Last time on Megaman Legends Gaiden, Kaeli was wrong about the Wind Crystal's location and we didn't accomplish anything of value.

So let's go back to Windia for any more leads.

epbAg.gif
Saved Windia (well, it just uses the Foresta theme)

NshiV.png
lqLUd.png

Uh. So, you can't see it, but the wind's calmed down now. People are finally outside enjoying the sun and the bottomless pit that the world has to offer.

Wait, how the hell did that even happen? We didn't do anything. Remember what Dullahan said to us?

finalfantasy-mysticquauk8n.png

So the strong winds should not have stopped. At all. We didn't save the crystal. Since it's called the Crystal of Wind, it should affect wind speeds and stuff like that. It's being held captive or its energy is being drained so elemental properties should be going awry because of that still.

8xdbW.png

But how the hell did this happen?! djfsoijflkdjgkdsjg This game...!
mByij.gif
It makes no sense!

z8Iay.png

Well, I won't complain much (outside of inconsistencies upon inconsistencies) because the elderly lady can sell us Seeds now. We need some of those since we haven't gone to Fireburg in a while, and I wasted most of them in the stupid tree.

blhpt.png

The creature's name is Pazuzu, and Otto's an engineer or inventor? Okay, from now on Otto Cid Bekenstein will be voiced by Hubert J. Farnsworth.

I didn't mention it last time, but yes, Otto is the Cid of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest. It would've made more sense to call him Cid but I guess they didn't feel like making the connection obvious.

chrpj.png

We could be here for years. How does the Rainbow Road-making machine make roads anyway? Do they just input the Mario Kart code and it goes? Let's press L R L R L L R R A. It'll work, and we'll have time trials to boot. I hope we get Karts! I wish we could live in a world where there were road-making machines. Less traffic and summer construction, you know?

YHyPB.png
OSurC.png
7vSPD.png
Eywme.png

Why would you build something so specific? It almost sounds like you designed a trap dungeo--... oh.

yCqam.png

Wow, he wasn't kidding when he said Rainbow Road. We don't get karts to go on this thing? That's lame.

6Pw1b.png

This is Pazuzu's Tower. I won't get into this dungeon's mechanics because we're not here for the crystal or Pazuzu. We're here for Norma. Unless we have to save her from Pazuzu and save the crystal at the same time...

LhwF5.png

Not enough laughing smilies for this. Holy shit. Unharmed, too!

n9G5f.png
NPU6H.png

And then she leaves on her own. We should probably escort her or something (do note that I saved before I went out of the tower and reloaded; I just wanted to get the dialogue).

xHFuj.png

She must be exhausted. The dungeon can be really big if you don't know what you're doing. Anyway, why would he let his little kid wander around his monster-infested tower all by herself? What a maroon.

Pn2kp.png

But... the... wind... already... stopped...

What the hell is going on here? Do these people know what's going on around them? What... my brain... dying... help...
qpDxb.gif

Back to Pazuzu's Tower we go, I guess. :/

CorvoSol

I beat Ultima Weapon in Machanon in Soul of Rebirth. WOW was that a crazy long fight. In the programmer's defense, I was only doing 300 damage a turn because I was likely crazy unprepared for that fight. Felt so boss when he finally died. I repeat that it's a shame how crazy worthless Ultima itself is in this game. This is like, the only game that hypes the spell up, and it's totally the only game in the series where it sucks (Well, maybe FFT).

In FFL2 I cleared Asura's tower. Only Zero and Mask*DeMasque were still alive. Bryn Star (geddit?), Jean Grey and Joao the Shapeshifting Apostle were all dead by then. Now I have to go inside Ki's body, which sounds better than it's bound to be.

jaxword

Is Crisis Core worth grabbing?

Yes.

It lags in parts but the quality of the game shoots up 300% in the finale.

I've honestly never seen a game shoot up in quality of story and music and just everything at the end like that.

Also, why did you hate FF12 so much? I mean, you ranked it under FF1 and 2, and those are borderline unplayable these days.

Boogiepop

Yes.

It lags in parts but the quality of the game shoots up 300% in the finale.

I've honestly never seen a game shoot up in quality of story and music and just everything at the end like that.

Also, why did you hate FF12 so much? I mean, you ranked it under FF1 and 2, and those are borderline unplayable these days.

It's pretty much the only FF I never really had any fun with. Just nothing clicked with me at all. The gameplay, the license board, the plot, the version of Ivalice they created, the characters (outside of Balthier), the difficulty curve. None of it felt right to me, and I pretty much ended up forcing myself through 60 hours of gameplay. All of the other FFs I enjoyed to some degree, but the only thing I can really say I liked about 12 was the loot system.

I wouldn't say it's a worse game than many of the FFs I rank above it, but it's a game much more poorly matched to my tastes.

Ultratech

I beat Ultima Weapon in Machanon in Soul of Rebirth. WOW was that a crazy long fight. In the programmer's defense, I was only doing 300 damage a turn because I was likely crazy unprepared for that fight. Felt so boss when he finally died. I repeat that it's a shame how crazy worthless Ultima itself is in this game. This is like, the only game that hypes the spell up, and it's totally the only game in the series where it sucks (Well, maybe FFT).

I remember going in unprepared for that fight. Took me a long time, but managed to kill it.
Didn't think it'd be as strong as it was. Apparently if you have a high-level Dispel, you can make the fight a total joke since Dispel removes resistances; it doesn't work like it does in other FF games. Wish I known about that the first time around.

And yeah, Ultima is pretty worthless for how much it gets hyped in that game. At least it's much better than the original version where it did pretty much flat damage (something like 100~200 damage) and it didn't really increase on leveling it either. It was pretty bugged.
Funny enough, if you manage to get it fully powered up, it does amazing single-target damage (like 9000+ a hit). Of course, you'd have to max out all your weapon and magic skills on said caster to achieve that.

CorvoSol

I remember going in unprepared for that fight. Took me a long time, but managed to kill it.
Didn't think it'd be as strong as it was. Apparently if you have a high-level Dispel, you can make the fight a total joke since Dispel removes resistances; it doesn't work like it does in other FF games. Wish I known about that the first time around.

And yeah, Ultima is pretty worthless for how much it gets hyped in that game. At least it's much better than the original version where it did pretty much flat damage (something like 100~200 damage) and it didn't really increase on leveling it either. It was pretty bugged.
Funny enough, if you manage to get it fully powered up, it does amazing single-target damage (like 9000+ a hit). Of course, you'd have to max out all your weapon and magic skills on said caster to achieve that.

I don't even know what max level is for stuff in this game. 99? No way am I doing that, especially not in SoR, where it's two dungeons and a town. I just wish I had the Blood Sword, because that thing ignored resistances and was therefore still the best sword in the game against anything not undead.

Ultratech

I don't even know what max level is for stuff in this game. 99? No way am I doing that, especially not in SoR, where it's two dungeons and a town. I just wish I had the Blood Sword, because that thing ignored resistances and was therefore still the best sword in the game against anything not undead.

Oh, Weapons and Magic max out at 16. It's just terribly repetitive to get anything that far since you pretty much have to spam attacks/magic over and over again. Ultima in the remake uses some formula to calculate its damage based in part on your Magic and Weapon levels. So you'd have to max out all weapon levels and have a full list of spells maxed out on a character to get its full potential. It's still fairly strong even if you don't have all that though.

Blood Sword is OP since it deals damage based on the enemy's Max HP. (IIRC, it's like 1/16 HP stolen pet hit; so 16 hits would insta-kill any enemy not undead.) It's also why certain undead enemies towards the end of the of the game are often fatal to parties with tons of HP, but little to no evasion. Their attacks work the same way and deal thousands of HP in damage if you can't evade the attacks.

It's hilarious that in FF2, TOAD is more powerful than Ultima.

So true...lol
I read a pretty hilarious LP where this dude played the original Famicom version and killed the last boss with Toad.

http://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-II/Update 17/
Gabriel Pope said:
Okay, I can't even begin to take credit for this one--I didn't even know this was possible until a couple of weeks ago. I was searching for some obscure FFII fact or another on GameFAQs and happened to find a thread on the message board detailing several bugs, including this one which I've never seen mentioned anywhere before.

So here's what just happened. When you successfully cast the Wall spell on someone, it automatically blocks offensive spells of equal or lower level. Unlike some of the spells in this version, Wall functions perfectly well; it's just that by its nature it tends to be useless, so I haven't actually used it before now (other than just training it up for the hell of it.) Enemy spells start out around level 4-5 (well before you'd have access to Wall unless you sneak off to Mysidia really early) and scale up to the point where by the end of the game you will almost never see an enemy spell lower than level 9-10, and level 16 spells are really common. So in order to get any benefit whatsoever from it you have to grind it to a level far above any level you would ever actually reach in regular gameplay even if you were casting Wall in every single fight.

Here's the catch: normally if a spell fails due to enemy magic resistance or inadequate level/stats, it just does nothing and prints "Ineffective." When a spell is blocked by a wall effect, though, it displays the spell's full animation. So, Fry casts Wall 4. It's a beneficial spell, so the Emperor doesn't roll magic defense against it. Lenny casts Toad 1, which is blocked by Wall (hence the "Failed" message), triggering the Toad spell animation... which includes the target monster dying, turning into a toad, and disappearing from the battle forever.

So I'm playing Final Fantasy Origins on the PS1. I have been for a while - over 20 hours, to be exact. But, legitimately 9/10 of the playtime is grinding. The game is way too difficult at times. Do I suck, or does anyone else have these problems?

CorvoSol

That is WAAAAAY too much work for an Ultima Spell when Toad/Blood Sword already break bosses into tiny little pieces. I'm finishing my collection of the best equipment in the Unknown Palace now, and trying to decide if I have enough Ethers to challenge the Light Emperor or not.

Question: Am I the only person who thinks that SoR doesn't take place in Heaven, contrary to the Light Emperor's statements? There are monsters killing spirits, Lucifer and Beelzebub are there, and I mean, they let Mateus into the place. I always saw it as one last terrible illusion on his part. If it IS Heaven, I can't decide if FF2's God is super lazy (letting Mateus and a buttload of monsters in) or if he's just decided to let Scott and company fix the problem for Him as some kind of test or whatever.

Trying to decide if I have enough Ethers to make it to Light Emperor, or if I should turn back. First sign of being too weak is an over reliance on magic.

What the . . . ? Mother Brain? Where's Samus?

I beat the Light Emperor, which means I'll be moving on to FF3DS. I know some people don't like that one, but tough nookies, cuz I do. Not sure if I want to do FF4DS or not, just because it'd be a NG+ which means I'd have no real reason to post stats (it'd be my 3rd playthrough. Or 4th. I used a cheat code to eliminate that silly limitation.)

Final Stats:
Minwu 1885HP/532MP /8Staves/9Ultima
Scott 1848HP/223MP /Swords Lv10 / Flare Lv4
Josef 2051HP/113MP /Fists Lv8/ Toad Lv7
Ricard 3092HP/104MP /Spears Lv11/ Holy Lv6

Jucksalbe

Banned
Theatrhythm made me go back to Final Fantasy VI. I finished that game once when it was released for the PlayStation, but didn't really like it (compared to the other SNES FFs). But that was long ago, so I always wanted to give this another go.
I'm now playing the VC version which sadly means I can't take any screenshots because my capture card can't deal with a PAL60 signal.
I made it to Mt. Kolts and I'm already liking it much more than I ever did back then. Loved the scene in the desert when they were talking about Terra's magic right in the battle and ran around all of the battlefield. And this game really makes me feel nostalgic about SNES games....one day I will get a chance to play Earthbound.

Theatrhythm also made me want to go back to FF IX (another one I didn't like when I first played it, but I might be able to appreciate it a lot more now), but I guess I'll wait with that until the Vita gets PSX compatibility.

CorvoSol

So I've made it to Canaan in FFIIIDS. Luneth is a Red Mage, Arc a BM, Refia WM, and Ingus the Warrior. I have access to the Onion Knight quest, but the Bombs slaughtered me. I think maybe at level 10 I'll be ready. I think I'll build Luneth up as an OK, which means that, come endgame, I probably won't need a Sage, right? I'd like to be able to make use of the full power of Summons for once in this game. Aside from Arc, though, I'm shooting for OK/DVT/NNJ as my endgame party.

Ultratech

So I've made it to Canaan in FFIIIDS. Luneth is a Red Mage, Arc a BM, Refia WM, and Ingus the Warrior. I have access to the Onion Knight quest, but the Bombs slaughtered me. I think maybe at level 10 I'll be ready. I think I'll build Luneth up as an OK, which means that, come endgame, I probably won't need a Sage, right? I'd like to be able to make use of the full power of Summons for once in this game. Aside from Arc, though, I'm shooting for OK/DVT/NNJ as my endgame party.

Onion Knights have HORRIBLY shitty stats up until Lv90 or so; then they get God-like and nothing even comes close. Until then, almost any class is better than them. (Unless you're gonna go hunting for Onion equips, in which you'd still need to be high-leveled to beat the enemies that drop it.) Unless you feel like gimping yourself, I'd avoid it like the plague.

As for Summons, if you want to use their full power (i.e. hit everything for massive damage), use a Summoner. Any other class that gets access to Summons has to deal with the White/Black BS which produces random results.

jaxword

Question: Am I the only person who thinks that SoR doesn't take place in Heaven, contrary to the Light Emperor's statements? There are monsters killing spirits, Lucifer and Beelzebub are there, and I mean, they let Mateus into the place. I always saw it as one last terrible illusion on his part. If it IS Heaven, I can't decide if FF2's God is super lazy (letting Mateus and a buttload of monsters in) or if he's just decided to let Scott and company fix the problem for Him as some kind of test or whatever.

No, it's definitely heaven, all the "good" people are there. But it seems that Mateus' soul is corrupting it to some degree. Even his "good" side wants to keep people under control.

As for God, well, think of it this way. Mateus's evil soul was powerful enough to take down Satan and take over Hell...and his good soul took over Heaven...

CorvoSol

Onion Knights have HORRIBLY shitty stats up until Lv90 or so; then they get God-like and nothing even comes close. Until then, almost any class is better than them. (Unless you're gonna go hunting for Onion equips, in which you'd still need to be high-leveled to beat the enemies that drop it.) Unless you feel like gimping yourself, I'd avoid it like the plague.

As for Summons, if you want to use their full power (i.e. hit everything for massive damage), use a Summoner. Any other class that gets access to Summons has to deal with the White/Black BS which produces random results.

I'm not worried about the OK sucking, since I'm pretty obsessive and tend not to finish a fight till I'm sure my party is going to go up a job level. So I'll probably just grind till I get him up to level 90 before going anywhere too dangerous.

No, it's definitely heaven, all the "good" people are there. But it seems that Mateus' soul is corrupting it to some degree. Even his "good" side wants to keep people under control.

As for God, well, think of it this way. Mateus's evil soul was powerful enough to take down Satan and take over Hell...and his good soul took over Heaven...

See, but if it's Heaven, it's pretty freaking sparsely populated. And it's oddly specific, too. Like, the only people there are people who had some relation to Mateus' war, and the heroes that are gathered there are all ones who were with Firion's party when they died: Scott, Minwu, Cid, Josef and Ricard. Why would Mateus have gathered them there to him, when those people seemed tailored to be specifically the people who would hunt him down and kill him again? Especially when Firion and co were doing that in Hell?

So I got the OK in FFIII, and I have the boat. Is this FF the one that holds the record for most vehicles by the end? You get 4 airships, a boat, a canoe and a chocobo.

In FFL2 Bryn Star and his multidimensional team of heroes have at last found Mr. Star. Dad had a touching 3 second reunion, dumped some MateriMAGIcite in my lap and left. I went into Giant's Town, saw no Giants, and got the Micronize potion. I think I'll grind here for Giant's gear prior to advancing, considering I keep dying.

In Type-0, I'm almost all level 70 now. I've been building up against Behemoths in a cave near the Big Bridge. I think I'll migrate to Genbu to finish, though.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Baby's first Final Fantasy clear.

ibmKYFcn0RNIKt.jpg

The hardest thing about this game was figuring out where the hell I was going. I felt like I spent most of the beginning wandering around aimlessly. Stuff like the Earthgift Shrine cutscene after defeating the Lich didn't help!
And wow yeah, dungeons. It got better later on, but at one point I was so turned around that I actually got out graph paper and mapped a decent chunk of Mt. Gulg. The PSP's claustrophobic POV really messed with my head. Though I really enjoyed parts of Hellfire Chasm; very fun and creative. (Of the optional bosses, I only beat Echidna and Cagnazzo.)

Chaos was the first boss I was impressed by. All the others were basically dead by the time I finished buffing, but his physicals could OHKO the Ninja and leave the Master under 100 HP so it was a pretty long fight full of Full-Life spam. My White Wizard burned through some 55 Ethers during the fight, haha.

verdict: I liked this game and I will play it again! I want to try the PS1 version too.

Next should probably be FF3, but I'm on attempt #6 of the final marathon run and...woof. Maybe I'll start FF2 PSP instead.

Natetan

In FFL2 I cleared Asura's tower. Only Zero and Mask*DeMasque were still alive. Bryn Star (geddit?), Jean Grey and Joao the Shapeshifting Apostle were all dead by then. Now I have to go inside Ki's body, which sounds better than it's bound to be.

The buff spells are really useful in SoR. I usually buff up minwu's haste, aura, protect, shell, etc. The amazing thing is you can cast them on the whole party (although they can miss). I usually asign one buff spell to each player, cast it in the first round, and then go to town. Haste is especially awesome.

Never tried toad, what does it do exactly?

jaxword

See, but if it's Heaven, it's pretty freaking sparsely populated. And it's oddly specific, too. Like, the only people there are people who had some relation to Mateus' war, and the heroes that are gathered there are all ones who were with Firion's party when they died: Scott, Minwu, Cid, Josef and Ricard. Why would Mateus have gathered them there to him, when those people seemed tailored to be specifically the people who would hunt him down and kill him again? Especially when Firion and co were doing that in Hell?

You're putting way too much thought into a slapped-together sidequest for a 2d rpg.

And you're sort of deliberately breaking your own suspension of belief for ancient jRPG tropes.

Why can you accept towns of 4 people who are identical sprites and only say something relevant to the heroes' quests? A world with 20 named people at most? A world you can walk around in 10 minutes? Come on.

Also, Mateus flat out says he gathered them there to love him. He wants to force his beaten foes to love him. Fitting for a megalomaniac.

CorvoSol

The buff spells are really useful in SoR. I usually buff up minwu's haste, aura, protect, shell, etc. The amazing thing is you can cast them on the whole party (although they can miss). I usually asign one buff spell to each player, cast it in the first round, and then go to town. Haste is especially awesome.

Never tried toad, what does it do exactly?

Toad is an instant death spell of the greatest caliber. Forget what you know about doing damage. Don't bother with it. Why would you need to worry about HP? You only need 2 spells for anything that isn't the final boss: DISPEL and TOAD. Dispel tells the enemy that he better start praying, because the fight is about to end. Then Toad ruins his day FOREVER. New best Robot Master? TOAD MAN. TOAD is where it is AT.

Seriously, though, Toad's a spell that changes your characters into toads, or, well, the enemy into toads. Just that there isn't a "toad" enemy in the game, so turning the enemy into a toad just kills it. It works on bosses, and is extremely useful.

You're putting way too much thought into a slapped-together sidequest for a 2d rpg.

And you're sort of deliberately breaking your own suspension of belief for ancient jRPG tropes.

Why can you accept towns of 4 people who are identical sprites and only say something relevant to the heroes' quests? A world with 20 named people at most? A world you can walk around in 10 minutes? Come on.

Also, Mateus flat out says he gathered them there to love him. He wants to force his beaten foes to love him. Fitting for a megalomaniac.

I suppose so, yeah. But on the other hand, SoR DOES go out of its way to draw your attention to the fact that everyone in it is related to the war going on in the plot. I'm not really questioning the size so much as the relation. You never meet anyone in SoR who hasn't died recently, that's all.

But there are still some things in it that just seem hokey. Like, how does Mateus have a light side? And how does half a man's soul, which ought to be an incredibly small half given how evil the guy was, manage to take over Heaven? I know, I know, I'm over thinking it, but it really does seem like they just went "Hey, Mateus hasn't killed a God yet, how is he gonna fit in with all the other FF baddies?"

Wait, so no one's doing Final Fantasy Legend 3? It may not really be a Final Fantasy, but if 1 and 2 are in it's a shame that noone is up for a play of 3, which is actually much closer to a Final Fantasy game in mechanics than the others.

It was the first game with the name Final Fantasy I owned, since I only rented Final Fantasy I, and it's still one of my favorite handheld RPGs. I might have to give it a shot once my students begin summer vacation, since I dug up my cart and began a playthrough when I bought my GB pocket a few months ago, but never got far.

CorvoSol

Wait, so no one's doing Final Fantasy Legend 3? It may not really be a Final Fantasy, but if 1 and 2 are in it's a shame that noone is up for a play of 3, which is actually much closer to a Final Fantasy game in mechanics than the others.

It was the first game with the name Final Fantasy I owned, since I only rented Final Fantasy I, and it's still one of my favorite handheld RPGs. I might have to give it a shot once my students begin summer vacation, since I dug up my cart and began a playthrough when I bought my GB pocket a few months ago, but never got far.

I might do it. To be honest, I thought Legend II was Legend III when I started it. I confuse them, because the only one I owned and have subsequently beaten when I was a kid was Legend I. Long live the Chainsaw.

jaxword

I suppose so, yeah. But on the other hand, SoR DOES go out of its way to draw your attention to the fact that everyone in it is related to the war going on in the plot. I'm not really questioning the size so much as the relation. You never meet anyone in SoR who hasn't died recently, that's all.

But there are still some things in it that just seem hokey. Like, how does Mateus have a light side? And how does half a man's soul, which ought to be an incredibly small half given how evil the guy was, manage to take over Heaven? I know, I know, I'm over thinking it, but it really does seem like they just went "Hey, Mateus hasn't killed a God yet, how is he gonna fit in with all the other FF baddies?"

Why would the director of that sequence, who probably did it in a few weeks, go out of his way to add millions of dead people that the player would not remotely care about? That makes no logical sense for them to put tons of effort into creating a whole new world, they may as well make a new game for that investment.

As for your question, his "good" half is just as evil and powerful as his regular evil half, except that his "good" half is more about enforced worship versus the evil "I kill everyone."

Natetan

Toad is an instant death spell of the greatest caliber. Forget what you know about doing damage. Don't bother with it. Why would you need to worry about HP? You only need 2 spells for anything that isn't the final boss: DISPEL and TOAD. Dispel tells the enemy that he better start praying, because the fight is about to end. Then Toad ruins his day FOREVER. New best Robot Master? TOAD MAN. TOAD is where it is AT.

Seriously, though, Toad's a spell that changes your characters into toads, or, well, the enemy into toads. Just that there isn't a "toad" enemy in the game, so turning the enemy into a toad just kills it. It works on bosses, and is extremely useful.

Why dispel? I seem to remember both those spells being really expensive.

You can use exit or whatever on bosses too, and since minwu usually aleeady has that leveled from making my way down to mysidia in the main game I just use that. That spell is also broken.

Ultratech

Why dispel? I seem to remember both those spells being really expensive.

You can use exit or whatever on bosses too, and since minwu usually aleeady has that leveled from making my way down to mysidia in the main game I just use that. That spell is also broken.

Dispel removes resistances in FF2. So if for whatever reason, the enemy is immune to Matter (the type of spell Toad is), it'll remove it if Dispel is leveled up high enough. Then you can use Toad and kill it.

(I don't even know if Dispel/Toad works legit on the last boss in the remakes since it actually absorbs Matter and has ridiculous 16-70% Magic Defense to boot.)

And yeah, Exit/Teleport is pretty awesome. (It's basically like a White Magic version of Toad since it's Matter-based as well.)

The only insta-kill move that totally sucks is Death since a ton of stuff is just flat-out immune, resistant, or just absorbs it.

Psxphile

The only insta-kill move that totally sucks is Death since a ton of stuff is just flat-out immune, resistant, or just absorbs it.

Warp is also pretty useless despite having similar properties as Teleport and can be bought in the same shop: Leveling it doesn't seem to improve it's chances at OHKO-ing even a common Goblin enemy.

Natetan

Dispel removes resistances in FF2. So if for whatever reason, the enemy is immune to Matter (the type of spell Toad is), it'll remove it if Dispel is leveled up high enough. Then you can use Toad and kill it.

(I don't even know if Dispel/Toad works legit on the last boss in the remakes since it actually absorbs Matter and has ridiculous 16-70% Magic Defense to boot.)

And yeah, Exit/Teleport is pretty awesome. (It's basically like a White Magic version of Toad since it's Matter-based as well.)

So is there any advantage in using toad over exit? you have access to exit basically right from the beginning, and you get it free in a chest in one of the earlier dungeons...

CorvoSol

Why would the director of that sequence, who probably did it in a few weeks, go out of his way to add millions of dead people that the player would not remotely care about? That makes no logical sense for them to put tons of effort into creating a whole new world, they may as well make a new game for that investment.

As for your question, his "good" half is just as evil and powerful as his regular evil half, except that his "good" half is more about enforced worship versus the evil "I kill everyone."

I know, I know. They did make extra world maps for FFI's Soul of Chaos, though. But it's just the weird way that Heaven ONLY has people from FFII's story in it that makes it seem fishy. Like, it would've taken 0 effort to add a guy who had been dead for like, ever before hand. I guess, when you get down to it, I only care because it's like one of the only times in FF where there might have been a God who wasn't a total jerk and we never even see Him.

So is there any advantage in using toad over exit? you have access to exit basically right from the beginning, and you get it free in a chest in one of the earlier dungeons...

Toad makes it RAIN TOADS FROM HEAVEN. How is that not awesome?

In TOAD related news, I got TOAD the spell in FFIII last night. Now I will be an unstoppable killing machine and NO ONE can stop me!

Also, I'm pretty convinced at this point that everyone who claims FFXIII is a rip-off of FFVII never bothered playing FFIII, because XIII and III have WAY more in common.

Observe:
Snow = Desch/Luneth (the idiot hero)
Lightning = Ingus (the always-serious cop)
Fang = Refia (the action girl)
Vanille = Elia (the priestess)
Hope = Arc (the annoying/smart kid)
Sazh = Cid Haze (the old man/pilot).

In III you play a group of kids who are from the lower world, but live on a floating island paradise. In XIII, you play a bunch of people who are mostly FROM the floating paradise, but have some party members who hail from the lowerworld.

In III you are tasked by the Crystals to prevent this floating continent's fall and save the world from the coming of an extradimensional deity (The Cloud of Darkness). You're given powers by the Crystal to do it (Magic, Jobs). In XIII you are tasked by the Fal'Cie (Crystals) to CAUSE the continent's fall and CAUSE the coming of an extradimensional deity (Maker). The Fal'Cie give you powers (Magic/Paradigm Roles) to do this.

In III's mythology there was a God-like being (Noah) with three disciples. He gave one power over magic (Doga), one dominion over dreams (Unnei), and one he pretty much gipped with Death (Xande). In XIII's mythology you have a God (Bhunivelze) with three sub-Gods. He gives one power over the world (Pulse), another dominion (Lindzei) and the third he gips and she goes on to die (Etro).

Upon arriving in the lower world in FFIII you find it is mostly barren (covered in darkness). Upon arriving in Pulse in XIII, you find it is mostly barren (abandoned).

It makes a lot more sense than "A person with a sword riding a train with a black dude therefore it is FFVII."

Natetan

Toad makes it RAIN TOADS FROM HEAVEN. How is that not awesome?

In TOAD related news, I got TOAD the spell in FFIII last night. Now I will be an unstoppable killing machine and NO ONE can stop me!"

I must admit the animation for that spell is pretty cool. Telepo/exit isnt that bad either though...

Top Bottom