• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grok4Spock

Got a question since I never bought anything from Nintendo's consoles or handhelds before. I have a wii points card laying around that I never used. Can those points be used on 3DS or they're only for Wii?
Wii Points can only be used on Wii. Nintendo Points can be used on Wii OR DSi. You have to use a 3DS cash card since the eshop doesn't accept points..

Hobohodo

The GAME/Gamestation trade in deal is true. You just bring the receipt proving you bought a 3DS XL with you when you trade in your 3DS and you get the £100 store credit on a gift card.

Caelestis

Wii Points can only be used on Wii. Nintendo Points can be used on Wii OR DSi. You have to use a 3DS cash card since the eshop doesn't accept points..
Ah thanks for clearing it up for me. Guess my points will go to waste then as there is nothing in particular that I want on Wii. :/

Uggh GAF, not sure what to do.

GAME's deal is REALLY good, but I am working on Friday at 2pm (with an hours journey to my workplace from there...), if I get to a GAME for 9am - buy the XL....how long will the transfer take generally? I have a pretty full SD card with the Ambassador Games and a bunch of eshop titles.

I currently have a preorder with Tesco that, with a practically free copy of Pokemon White 2, also cuts the 3DS XL price down to £159 - I guess I could sell the 3DS myself on via Amazon, but I'ld rather trade in due to my model suffering from faint scratchlines on the top screen.

GAME's deal is REALLY good, but I am working on Friday at 2pm (with an hours journey to my workplace from there...), if I get to a GAME for 9am - buy the XL....how long will the transfer take generally? I have a pretty full SD card with the Ambassador Games and a bunch of eshop titles.

isnt it released on saturday?

transfer about 30mins.

Rich!

20 mins minimum, up to 40/50.

The GAME/Gamestation trade in deal is true. You just bring the receipt proving you bought a 3DS XL with you when you trade in your 3DS and you get the £100 store credit on a gift card.

Wait, huh? How does that help you do a system transfer?

Ah thanks for clearing it up for me. Guess my points will go to waste then as there is nothing in particular that I want on Wii. :/

You could share them with some worthy souls :p

Hobohodo

I did a transfer when the Zelda 3DS came out, was a pretty full card. Took me about 15-20 minutes.

EDIT: They want you to buy the XL first, take it home, do the transfer from your original 3DS and THEN take the original 3DS back to the store to get the special promo trade in value. But it's locked in as store credit.

Famassu

At my lovely mom and pop store (but thats's more or less just for me) but still: 230 is way to expensive. Where do you live? Standard price is 199.
Finland. I haven't seen it cheaper than 209€, so the possibility to get it ASAP but not having to pay it quite yet, is worth the extra 20€ for me. Importing it ain't too much cheaper than the cheapest place I've seein in Finland + it would take longer + it would be too much of a hassle if there was something wrong with my 3DS XL.

I did a transfer when the Zelda 3DS came out, was a pretty full card. Took me about 15-20 minutes.

EDIT: They want you to buy the XL first, take it home, do the transfer from your original 3DS and THEN take the original 3DS back to the store to get the special promo trade in value. But it's locked in as store credit.

I was under the impression from reports that the credit value would be given back in whatever form you purchased the XL in, long as you did it within 24 hours?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
It bloody should be.

Very shady by game/gamestation making you taking it in store credit.

Not really. The trade-in offer isn't for cash, it's for store credit trade-in against a 3DS XL.

They don't have to offer anything to those upgrading who want to system transfer. Honestly I'm kind of stunned they are letting people pay the £180, take both systems and come back for the £100 credit.

Tenki

Store credit is not so good. Specially if you have already bought the 3DS XL.

Hobohodo

I was under the impression from reports that the credit value would be given back in whatever form you purchased the XL in, long as you did it within 24 hours?

When I was last in work the documents were all saying it was in store credit. I would be surprised if they changed that fact as the wording said that we would have 'A trade in deal where the XL only cost £79.99 when trading in a 3DS' meaning that we would give £100 store credit for it. It then went on to say we were also 'offering the trade in deal retroactively, so that customers can transfer the data over at home and bring the 3DS back after the transfer is complete'. Hence I assume it is credit.

Link83

There's no way, it's a full system clone or nothing.
Absolutely impossible, ambassador status is linked to the Club Nintendo account and console. The system transfer is a cut and paste process with no customisation to speak of.

Full copy or nothing, unless you are willing to accept your data being overwritten, and your friend is willing to hand over his Club Nintendo account details on a permanent basis so you get your ambassador games.
Thanks for the replies, although not quite what I was hoping to hear :( I thought it would be like the DSi to 3DS transfer function, which has a 'custom' option allowing you to pick which specific DSiWare titles get transferred to the 3DS.

Can't believe that this close to launch and there is still no word on official screen protectors or cases.
Hori has announced some officially licensed screen protectors in Japan, and has two types available:-
http://www.hori.jp/products/multi/3dsll_top2/
The first is Hori's standard 'two layer' filter design which you apply manually:-
http://www.hori.jp/products/3dsll/3dsll_filter/
The second uses Hori's 'Wow So Easy!' or 'Pitahari' design which should make it easier to apply the filters without getting dust stuck inbetween, and the top screen filter also features an extra anti-reflective layer over their standard filters:-
http://www.hori.jp/products/3dsll/3dsll_pfilter/

Both types available for pre-order at Play-Asia:-
http://www.play-asia.com/Liquid_Crystal_Protection_Filter_3DS_LL/paOS-13-71-1jn-49-en-70-53av.html
http://www.play-asia.com/Pitahari_Filter_for_3DS_LL/paOS-13-71-1jn-49-en-70-52fx.html

Actually thats not quite right, both Wii Points and Nintendo Points cards can be used on either Wii or DSi, although once added they can only be used on that particular system:-
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/dsi/en_na/shop.jsp#purchase
I can confirm this myself as I just registered an old Wii Points card on a DSi to purchase some DSiWare.

Nintendo eStore Cards can be used on Wii, DSi and 3DS, but will be converted to a set amount of Points if entered on a Wii or DSi, rather than a credit amount as on 3DS.

When I was last in work the documents were all saying it was in store credit. I would be surprised if they changed that fact as the wording said that we would have 'A trade in deal where the XL only cost £79.99 when trading in a 3DS' meaning that we would give £100 store credit for it. It then went on to say we were also 'offering the trade in deal retroactively, so that customers can transfer the data over at home and bring the 3DS back after the transfer is complete'. Hence I assume it is credit.

I suppose that makes sense really, ensures that the money will still be spent with GAME at a later date. Might keep with the Tesco order instead and take my chances selling it off, seems most of the amazon sold systems have the light scuffs that mine has anyway...

NeoRausch

Finland. I haven't seen it cheaper than 209€, so the possibility to get it ASAP but not having to pay it quite yet, is worth the extra 20€ for me. Importing it ain't too much cheaper than the cheapest place I've seein in Finland + it would take longer + it would be too much of a hassle if there was something wrong with my 3DS XL.

I guess 209 sounds ok. What's the tax rate in finland? Plus the service you get.... Ah well. Fuck it. The few bucks, who cares? ;)
PM. Me you FC!

Red looks pretty swaggin' too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXfvJQUUwyI

*** Holy crap, look at the glare difference at 4:40

Crap. So, here in US I cancelled my red preorder, moved it to blue. The above video is tempting me back towards red. I like the blue in pictures, more than red. However, I have yet to see a crisp unboxing of the blue (as sharp as the above video's quality) - Gah! It's fully paid off, but the long wait is making me jump back and forth. I like both colors, but I've never been this torn on a color. If it were arriving sooner, the indecision wouldn't exist. I'd have to bite the bullet and decide....someone please, if buying blue, take a crisp video in normal/bright/warm lighting conditions?

/:0(

How much does Amazon Italy ship to Finland?

Santiako

1:1 DS mode

DSC_0614.jpg

Stretched DS mode

DSC_0608.jpg

[]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Netto/DSC_0614.jpg[/IMG]

Stretched DS mode

[]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Netto/DSC_0608.jpg[/IMG]

Nice. Stretched mode doesn't look bad at all. Good news, I never bought a DS so I have a good backlog to play on this.

M-PG71C

The more I look at it, the more I want it. I can't afford it, not with both The Last Story and New Super Mario Bros 2 coming out at the same time.

September is going to be a damn good month. I'll pick it up then. So how many of you are going to sell your 3DS after transferring everything? I have a few friends willing to buy it off of my hands for $100 so that should help me buy some games later on. I don't see a reason to keep it after transferring all my games/Ambassador crap to the XL edition.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
The more I look at it, the more I want it. I can't afford it, not with both The Last Story and New Super Mario Bros 2 coming out at the same time.

September is going to be a damn good month. I'll pick it up then. So how many of you are going to sell your 3DS after transferring everything? I have a few friends willing to buy it off of my hands for $100 so that should help me buy some games later on. I don't see a reason to keep it after transferring all my games/Ambassador crap to the XL edition.

I've already sold mine on the bay for 95£, no transfer problems for me since I already did it on my sis' one, which I will then re-transfer on my shiny new XL

Misterhbk

Man so many people having transfer issues. Or rather worried about how they'll transfer once they get the XL. If only Nintendo allowed for actual user accounts that we could simply download.

Luckily for me, when I pick up my XL I won't have to worry about transferring anything as I sold my old 3DS a long time ago.

Drago

So will it be better to play GBA games full screen or 1:1? Fusion looked pretty good full screen.

All I know is that 1:1 is almost exactly the same size as a GBA/SP, going by PPI.

Judging by the DS pics above, full screen GBA games should look fine as well.

RPGCrazied

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Netto/DSC_0614.jpg[IMG]

Stretched DS mode

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Netto/DSC_0608.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yeah, defiantly going to play DS games in stretched mode. Don't like the excessive black bars.

Dartastic

Does anyone have a step by step guide to transfer over your data to an XL and wipe your old 3DS if you decide to sell your system early? I wanna keep my ambassador status. :p

BooJoh

Does anyone have a step by step guide to transfer over your data to an XL and wipe your old 3DS if you decide to sell your system early? I wanna keep my ambassador status. :p

As in backup, sell 3DS, buy XL, restore?

You can't. Transferring your data requires both systems to be present and have a wifi connection.

Drago

So apparently sending in import systems to NoA repairs turns them into NA systems.

I probably won't, but would it be moronic of me to import a white and send it in? x_x

Dartastic

For trading in: Hope GameStop does some sort of "come back today/within a week and get bonus credit" thing, I suppose.
That's really irritating, especially seeing as they don't offer SHIT right now for a 3DS. :/

I was just going to craigslist mine early, then put that cash towards an XL. Ugh.

Say hello to a new Ambassador! :D

I managed to transfer a store 3DS into mine. It was well worth losing the Mii Plaza stuff, but luckily nothing from my retail games were deleted. :)

I also formatted my 3DS to make it feel my own again rather than work off the store's stuff, while still having my precious Ambassador games! :D

Got my Mii back to the same design thanks to Mario Tennis Open having my Mii still in its card save. :)

So now I don't feel so pressured to get an XL ASAP, but what I'm curious about is if the transfer limit is tied to the digital account (which will transfer over to any other unit), or its tied to the unit itself, so where ever the account goes or comes into the unit, it still counts down the limit.

Hopefully not, you shouldn't be forced to lose all transferring capabilities of your account. Once your done with a handheld then that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, Yoshi's Island is a bit of an eyesore with the ghosting, what's the verdict on the XL and ghosting?

Eusis

I was just going to craigslist mine early, then put that cash towards an XL. Ugh.
I wonder if that puts you in a better spot? Though I guess it might be harder to sell post-3DS XL, but at least you're not trying to take advantage of an offer or anything.

Poyunch

Say hello to a new Ambassador! :D

I managed to transfer a store 3DS into mine. It was well worth losing the Mii Plaza stuff, but luckily nothing from my retail games were deleted. :)

I also formatted my 3DS to make it feel my own again rather than work off the store's stuff, while still having my precious Ambassador games! :D

Got my Mii back to the same design thanks to Mario Tennis Open having my Mii still in its card save. :)

So now I don't feel so pressured to get an XL ASAP, but what I'm curious about is if the transfer limit is tied to the digital account (which will transfer over to any other unit), or its tied to the unit itself, so where ever the account goes or comes into the unit, it still counts down the limit.

Hopefully not, you shouldn't be forced to lose all transferring capabilities of your account. Once your done with a handheld then that shouldn't be a problem.

Also, Yoshi's Island is a bit of an eyesore with the ghosting, what's the verdict on the XL and ghosting?

qyUt2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom