• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of 25 years of Demon Summoning, GAF Plays: The (Shin) Megami Tensei series

kunonabi

I'm playing Innocent Sin on the psp but the game is stupidly easy. I'm playing on hard but my mp and health regenerate anyway. I thought the rebalancing nonssense was only for normal.

I'm playing through IS as well. I'm trying to notice any distinctions with the psp and ps1 version. I really love the character designs in this game, particularly the Masked Circle / Masquerade top dogs.

randomkid

Man, I just spent like a couple of hours listening to the Innocent Sin OST and going through some random Kaneko tumblr. This franchise really makes me feel like an embarrassing teenager, I could spend a whole afternoon just daydreaming about it haha. I know there are other folks who feel the same way about Kiseki or Phantasy Star or Mother or Dragon Quest but when I see the words "Megami Tensei" my heart goes all aflutter.

I'm playing Innocent Sin on the psp but the game is stupidly easy. I'm playing on hard but my mp and health regenerate anyway. I thought the rebalancing nonssense was only for normal.

The game was already pretty easy (except for that final boss, oh boy), but the PSP version nerfed everything even further, so now even the final boss is a joke.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Okay, I'm finally done with Tales of the Abyss, time to continue my playthrough of Raidou.

DDL5l.png
wNtdl.png

Last time we made it all the way to the first chapter. We learned that Kaya goes to Ouran High, so now we try to find classmates of hers all over town.

knbQu.png

The first girls we find don't really help. All they do is gossip, at least they give some kind of hint where we can find the important person. Also, I want to start my rant here which will probably continue throughout all of my posts of this game and this one especially.
Every demon has special abilities that you can use on the map and that you need to get additional information from some characters. That's the "?" you can see on the screenshot. There's two thing I really hate about that. Even if you know the ability but don't have the right demon summoned, the game will still only show a "?". Which means, you have to guess which ability might be the right one. And you have to make sure to always have the right demons with you. So far everytime I needed an ability, you could find the corresponding demon in the area, but it's still really annoying.
Also everytime you summon a demon you consume MAG points, so far it didn't pose any problem and my MAG points have always been increasing but this is really bothering me on a principle level. MAG points make no sense at all in this game. Oh well.

j0ffD.png
Ou13I.png
FbtHQ.png

She seems to know Kaya but as soon as she wants to tell us about her, she's abducted and taken to the Dark Realm.

amlHk.png
ZiSK5.png

You get there by visiting the shrine from the beginning of the game and perfoming a ritual.

DTbzG.png
wliL4.png

We're immediately greeted by the boss who seems to be right down the street. But first, we should check out all the surroundings. Another place where we need a new demon ability, at least it's optional this time.

TpLMN.png
lRpFs.png

Here we first meet the different kind of barriers. The first one is impassable (wait, might there be one on that main street in front of the boss?), the second one is not. The wonderful thing about the second one is, that it's only vunerable to one element (or type of attack), so basically if you don't have the right demon (or bullet) here, you're screwed....again. Good thing, I caught that Agathion earlier on.

lEocL.png
ozRJB.png
VYZub.png

Behind the barrier: boss fight! After they made us choose a Volt demon for the barrier, surely this boss is vunerable to Zio, right? Wrong. In fact it's a Volt demon itself, vunerable to ice and there are three of it. The fight isn't very hard, in fact this enemy will be a normal random enemy very soon.

XcRo8.png
KYtd9.png
nhCXf.png

So, now that we rescued here, we get some vital tips on where to go next. And also a pseudo-cryptic message that basically tells us to go back to the residence and look for the cellar. Also, there was in fact a barrier in front of the boss. So all that running around was necessary after all.

ckser.png
WC00o.png
pV30q.png

But before we go there, it's time for some more demon fusion. Since I couldn't take screenshots of it last time, I at least wanted to show off the animation. It's a bit different from how it's presented in, say, Persona. It's also accompanied by some funny dialogue depending on the demons you're fusing.

ufx4j.png
rrTqO.png

Okay, here we need a Volt demon again. Good thing, we didn't fuse it before. This time it's for the "Inspect" command that makes the demon look around and find invisible things. Here we find a hidden passage that leads to the cellar. Surprise!

PlZSK.png

Underground, we find this huge demon. But it's not a boss fight (yet), he just wants us to bring him some wine. As luck would have it, we just heard talks about a new assistant in the residence that was sent out to fetch some wine. At this point it should be clear that this game is as much an adventure game as it is an RPG.

Mv7b5.png
wz3Q4.png

Of course, the assistant hasn't come back yet, so we have to go back to town to find her (she's right at the entrance). We need another demon skill here (mind reading), but at least no new demon was needed for it. So now that we have the wine, back to the mansion (again).

KAIcf.png

We give the wine to the demon, but of course he needs a meal to go with the wine. This means: boss fight!

gsVV2.png
cUj0Q.png
Zhl50.png

Pretty easy fight. Just make sure to have a demon with Dia at this point. Or use items. We don't even get to finish him off, the fight stops when he's at about 20% health. Afterwards, we give him some more beverages (which he didn't like), I guess you can do something more here, but actually we can now use him as a bridge to get to the other side.

vgTUu.png
If1jT.png

57axj.png
RYjtq.png

There we find a cell with a lot of suspicious talismans attached. And we need to use "Inspect" again, oh well, we didn't have a chance to lose that demon since last time anyway. After looking around we find a rather disturbing diary, seems we should have a word with Kaya's uncle.

ioYyK.png
njgUX.png
hrEug.png

On our way back we get attacked by a bunch of skeletons. The Turdaks are weak to fire, the boss itself has so few HP, that you can kill him with your sword in a couple of seconds.

Zsq5U.png
zHltR.png

The uncle is still meeting with someone unknown, so the butler doesn't let us near his room, but we can use a demon to at least eavesdrop. Since we have no idea where to go afterwards, it's back to the Detective's Agency.

iOUsx.png
0FJOY.png
wcsw3.png

That was totally worth it. Back to the residence AGAIN.

Z1x6D.png
UpUr2.png

QntUK.png
wwrLA.png

This time we get to meet the uncle, but when we do he transforms into a demon and runs off. The whole transformation FMV reminded me a lot of Parasite Eve, only a little less nasty. After him!

BwlUX.png
5alPF.png

As soon as we leave the room, we are stopped by someone who looks very someone-ish. Seems he doesn't want us to leave, so we get to fight a giant eye.

TEdQ1.png
0rmKh.png

MQtpt.png
EbPPl.png

This boss is a bit harder than the one's before. You can only hit him when his eye's open which basically means killing his minions first. When you get too close he uses a spinning attack that has a pretty far reach. I didn't really find his weakness (he has to have one, they explicitly mentioned that at the beginning of the fight), but my ice combination attack hit him pretty hard anyway.

3LbRY.png
kfdBm.png
02OJm.png

And that's the end of chapter Episode 1! You can look up a summary of the game's story so far in your office which is quite nice to have. I always have a hard time to remember Japanese names, so everytime they mention someone by name, my first thought is "Who was that again?". I guess I miss a lot of connections just because of that. Doesn't hurt to have a way to look up past events then.
Also, don't look too close at the play time. I left the game running for over an hour once without doing anything and another time I fell asleep while playing, so this is not really showing the time I actually played.

Esura

Banned
I'm in the month of November in FES now and I got Mitsuru's Ultimate Persona and her SL. I think I might actually finish this before Arena.

I think I might have beaten two Persona games in one and a half month. :D

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
You know I just noticed something weird. The US PSN store has FES for DL but the JP store does not. WTF is up with that.

Parakeetman

Weird. But they have SMT1, 2, and If. I think they win.

I was hoping they would have the raido games too. I got both copies of the original 2 unopened the JP version, those got a premium on em so would have to have to crack it open. Bought em again just to collect. I suppose I could always buy "the best collection" since they got that.

Yeah Im gonna pick up SMT 1 & 2 later today. Was hoping for FES also but yeah no go. The Japanese seem confused / pissed off as to what happened with that. Since initial reports were the JP one was supposed to come out before the US but never did.

I have some PS2/PSP megaten releases, as well as both Saturn games... but i'm still waiting for the translation patch for the SNES Megaten 1 & 2 remake to be finished before I start to finally play the series.

Me and my obsession of playing a game series starting by its roots :|

cj_iwakura

I was hoping they would have the raido games too. I got both copies of the original 2 unopened the JP version, those got a premium on em so would have to have to crack it open. Bought em again just to collect. I suppose I could always buy "the best collection" since they got that.

Yeah Im gonna pick up SMT 1 & 2 later today. Was hoping for FES also but yeah no go. The Japanese seem confused / pissed off as to what happened with that. Since initial reports were the JP one was supposed to come out before the US but never did.

Are you in Japan, or just import a lot? I was considering asking a JP PS3 owner about maybe grabbing a card for me or something so I could grab SMT1&2(I'd pay of course).

Parakeetman

Are you in Japan, or just import a lot? I was considering asking a JP PS3 owner about maybe grabbing a card for me or something so I could grab SMT1&2(I'd pay of course).

Oh yeah I can help you out with a card. I live here locally so. The ER is a bit brutal now so hope you dont mind that. I was actually going to pick up a card myself since wanted to grab the SMT games.

1 U.S. dollar = 78.5916378 Japanese yen

Send me a pm if still interested.

Esura

Banned
Yes, finally Junpei stops being annoying! Chidori's death is the best thing to happen to this stupid son of a frag hopper.

I can now post in this thread for the original reason. After clearing out chunk of my backlog and being a good boy and not going hogwild in the Summer Steam sales, I'm replaying SMT3, DDS1 and DDS2 in anticipation of SMT4.

Died at Matador from a combination of being way underleveled (16, 10, 11, 12) and him casting Mazan only once, but spamming Focused Andalucia desecrating a focus-immune strategy. Good times.

Seda

I can now post in this thread for the original reason. After clearing out chunk of my backlog and being a good boy and not going hogwild in the Summer Steam sales, I'm replaying SMT3, DDS1 and DDS2 in anticipation of SMT4.

Died at Matador from a combination of being way underleveled (16, 10, 11, 12) and him casting Mazan once, but spamming Focused Andalucia. Good times.

Heh, I'm playing SMT3, DDS1 and DDS2 for the first time, just because. I just beat a blue neon snake thing.

TWILT

Banned
Decided to replay Persona 3 FES. NG+ playthrough though, so I'm gonna mainly focus on maxing every social link and beating Elizabeth. =D

Seda

I was having a bunch of trouble with White Rider in Nocturne, really the first boss in the game I had significant issues with.

I saw a recommendation to use Stone Gaze. One of my monsters already had it. I creamed him the next go around.

I feel a bit stupid for not thinking of that :/

Jucksalbe

Banned
We meet a new character:

fpVV9.png

And with that:

mY7rk.png

Let's get started!

cR1JY.png
TDXm3.png

The reporter tells us about several sightings of the "Red Cape". She managed to take a photo of it (which by the way already is in the newspaper she writes for, it's not like she's giving us exclusive information here) and it looks very much like the guy that fled from the Daidouji residence before. He was last seen in Ginza-Cho. To the Mystery Machine!

pN28U.png
D4ULz.png

The girl is talking about me. Defying all probability, we go to the city first. Another huge city area with lots of new random encounters and it's very nice looking, too, with streetcars driving around. The city can get very confusing if you don't look at the map, because there's a bridge you can walk over and under and there are some exits that are basically in the middle of the map.

XG0Sw.png
haDeo.png
Hzp7z.png

On our way we find a homeless person who tries to sell us something for 50.000 yen. Of course, this is a way too much, so we refuse. The next offer is a very different 50 yen. For that we get some kind of lucky charm. Even 50 yen seem a bit much for something we don't have much use for. But this is an adventure game, so we take what we can get, it's bound to be of some use somewhere.

1hpVA.png
pye8y.png

We also meet a woman that asks us about some car accident. Never heard of it, sorry.

FHTQc.png
EdFpu.png

So, our first real stop is the restaurant where the reporter took the photo. We learn about Denpachi the rickshaw runner, who is close to Kiyoshi Daidouji. We should interrogate him.

n9UXs.png
b3pNH.png
lZfI9.png

But first, let's go to the Shin-Sekai which the girl on the street mentioned earlier. Here we learn that we're actually not so special, there are a bunch of devil summoners all over the world. Way to bring down our ego.

uk2JW.png
H9Zw9.png
Zdr2k.png

There's another very suspicious area on the map. It turns out to be some kind of garbage dump and the only thing to really do here, is to talk to a dog. After a rather strange conversation he asks us about our "dream". This seems important enough that you get to put it in freely. That's it, what was that about? Maybe it will important later on, so maybe it's a good thing that I took a screenshot. It kind of reminds me of the scarecrow in Ocarina of Time.

RxGRS.png
EK2yV.png
sY1Bp.png

Back to the story. Let's look for Denpachi. The area he lives in seems to be controlled by the Yakuza, though. So, to get in there we have to ask the boss for permission. For some reason his base seems to be the bathhouse.

lpHAW.png
revxt.png

At least we get some fresh air for all our body out of it. The fight with the Yakuza is very very simple, I guess you have to really try to lose here, it's more for the fun of the whole situation.

nIoal.png
hBWuD.png

The area doesn't really seem to be under control of the Yakuza, the Soulless Army turned up and made the whole thing complicated. Well, at least we're allowed to go in now.

CXvXP.png
MtHPj.png

We found his house, but noone seems to be there. Well, think again, the Soulless Army is here. We are arrested and thrown into the Dark Realm.

kIhd4.png
F9Qoy.png

There we kill the wardens, before we can be locked in the cell. There is someone else in the cell who looks like he runs rickshaws professionally, but the cell is locked, we have to find the key first.

4pqtx.png
0UYoT.png
jABca.png

...or get a lock pick. But this means we already have to leave the Dark Realm again and go back to the store near our agency. Yay.

a4gU6.png
zwZrw.png
7mDrd.png

Doesn't seem like we can haggle this time. We get the lock pick and it's back to the Dark Realm. This time we use the shrine. But this means we enter the Dark Realm at a different part of the town. So we have to get back to the cell.

MZiIc.png
JreHJ.png

KwjVl.png
O4BJN.png

There are soldiers all over the place, so we have to take the long way around. With a flying demon, we fly over the river and fetch a boat that's anchored at the end. You can get attacked while you're using a demon. Which is kinda nice, but the fights play really bad, so I wish they would have left that part out.

Huc4Q.png
5DS20.png
Dsv6e.png

3Z6hu.png
Ijy4L.png

At the end there's a gate that's locked from the other side, so we need to find a way around. But with all the soldiers around we have to make sure, not to be seen (which is kinda stupid because since they should have seen us plenty already). Since they won't mind a demon in the Dark Realm, we send one ahead to open the gate.

Z5kmi.png
7Wzj0.png
DdIsb.png

We reach the cell again and free the "mysterious" person. But as soon as we open the cell, some soldiers arrive and try to stop us. Funny thing is, this time you actually have to win the fight, it's not even that hard. Makes the whole stealth section before kind of pointless.

1afUZ.png
TLcQN.png
Qedy8.png

Surprise, the man we freed turns out to be Denpachi. But before he will tell us anything we first have to find his sister, who looks somehow familiar. But since we don't know where she went, we have to ask someone who's in the business of "finding people".

i8X3g.png
aoYq8.png
3fb24.png

We find her in the red-light district. Turns out she will help us only if we find the one who attacked her husband, the taxi driver (the "car accident" we heard about before). So now it's help Shizu -> help Denpachi -> find Mr. Daidouji. This needs another layer of complication.

iEHJ3.png
xBwiJ.png

But we have no lead to go on, so first we go back to the agency. There we learn that that reporter called for us. She wants us to meet in the bar that's supposed to be for devil summoners only (huh?).

6Sl6h.png
CZPUN.png
gnvc3.png

Seems we have to look for the demon at full moon under the overpass. With a little bit of luck, this means running around in circles for quite a while. At full moon we meet this car demon (which you actually fight). But it's not him that attacked the people, it's he who was attacked. He gives us a crucial item that hints at the real culprit. It's part of a rickshaw.

23NKR.png

But Denpachi is not at home. Let's ask his sister.

tW6Nf.png
YATLX.png
HinTs.png

She confirms our suspicion and more(?) importantly takes the lucky charm we bought earlier. We didn't really learn anything new, though.

HpWmf.png
H3JwZ.png

Last chance, let's ask his employer. No news about Denpachi, but there was another attack on a taxi in the city, so at least let's investigate that.

0NycN.png
nwoba.png

We find the Red Cape (you know, the demon we are actually looking for?), but it flees into the Dark Realm. After it!

RzcZB.png
GPPiZ.png
p8fDK.png

Even in the Dark Realm, all he does is run away. You can get into a fight with the Red Cape, but after a short while he still runs away. No chance to defeat him.

NMWzc.png
a1vdw.png

QUFz7.png
eQvwk.png

And then the game shows off its fun part again. After a while the Red Cape runs away in a circle around the city. There's a car you can move to block the way, but you need a specific ability that I didn't have. So then I had to run around and try to catch all the demons in the area I didn't already have. You need a Fury demon to move the car. Took a while.

d6cgj.png
FoNTz.png
8Pehe.png

Ha! Cornered him! The fight itself is the same as before (that's why I didn't take another screenshot), it just drags a bit longer. The one thing to look out for is his laser-like attack that can stun you.
After the fight we learn that the Red Cape was actually Denpachi which means there's more than one of them. He tells us that Mr. Daidouji likes to hang out at his old factory (who could have guessed?) and by now even the game's characters are getting cynical about the overly complicated way we had to go to obtain that information.

pxvLW.png
ImONY.png
rypF8.png

Chapter 2 done.

Jucksalbe

Banned
ikmMo.png
Xr1CR.png

Okay, time for chapter 3. This will be a rather short update, because this was a really short chapter which basically just consists of one dungeon and some story scenes.

NdCVJ.png
OTWDR.png

Now that we solved the case of the Red Cape in Ginza-Cho, we can go back to looking for Mr. Daidouji. At the end of the last chapter we got a tip that he might be in his old factory and it seems there were sightings of another Red Cape there as well.

0ENA0.png
XBl7o.png

The factory is in the northern part of Fukugawa-Cho, not much to do on the way, except for paying for another ride on the street car. We should really get a monthly pass.

HCg3c.png
d56sf.png

Right at the entrance we find a cane. Time for a quiz to test if we really paid attention so far, feels like the game is mocking us.

OZlhC.png
AeCAm.png

Inside we find the reporter Tae, who seems to have been running around the factory for quite a while. Maybe there's nothing here or maybe she just didn't check the door in the back?

cqsVo.png
tJur1.png

Well, that takes care of her.

pGLKV.png
S0MQL.png
XP6y2.png

Seems the owner of those Matryoshka dolls is the "mysterious man" (well, you could just take a look at the game's cover art). He wants to play with us, so he hides some shards in a dungeon that we have to get. Like a real evil man would do.

tg0F1.png
ujilc.png
1XcQl.png

So, let's get going. Touching any of the dolls will transport us to a different location inside the dungeon. The dungeon itself consists of basically an array of the same room over and over with barriers all over the place. It can get very confusing until you remember that there's a map button (yeah, it took me a while).

dJKoo.png
slB1s.png
Dwcmi.png

The only diversion we get in this dungeon is talking to some factory workers that got trapped in here. I don't know if any of the choices matter or if they are just for fun.

QOeGQ.png
YXhC8.png

8grzL.png
ilai0.png
yDej3.png

And so I don't forget what bothers me the most about this game, there are elemental barriers scattered throughout the dungeon. Good thing we brought a really diverse lineup of demons.

U3bTR.png
0Kv44.png
FKJY2.png

Time to get some actual work done. The glowing thing on the floor is the first shard we are looking for. But of course it's not that easy, first we have to fight. It's not that hard, actually the smaller version of this enemy even is a random encounter in this dungeon, but both the small and large versions can charm you and your demon. This can be rather annoying, especially running away from a charmed Oni feels a bit...stupid.

yvlxG.png
ew6U2.png

Two shards down.

ScRu2.png
YlLNW.png

Inside the dungeon we even meet another Red Cape, maybe the Red Cape? The fight is the same as before. Watch out for his laser beam and you'll be fine.

G8InU.png

Of course, he was just another factory worker.

a2gyN.png
nJThe.png
SZFkb.png

Mission accomplished! Now to get back to the real factory...

z3UIY.png
uTpmC.png

Yeah, right.

A0HY7.png
gTzsy.png

TmJNP.png
Zbl7S.png
bsXKP.png

Right before he wanted to tell us everything, something grows out of him and flies away. That timing...

eBCQc.png
vcm4n.png

Finally, we get to meet that "mysterious man". It's Ra Ra Rasputin!

Xp7qI.png
IpfjB.png

Well, that didn't really impress us. He seems rather displeased when we tell him, we don't know who he is.

404kC.png
W7fn1.png
NTljf.png

Since we didn't get our chance before, Rasputin shows pity and tells us a bit about what happened. Okay, so that parasite is called a Hiruko. That sure did help. But we might learn some more in the future, that's a nice promise to make.

oD1nu.png
JQjgE.png
T8E6Y.png

It's not so nice, though, when he wants us killed first. Nice to see how SMT mixes mythologies however they please again.

jKYv8.png
xa80l.png
yWHLp.png

The fight starts off easy, way too easy. He goes down so fast, you just know there has to be more. And indeed, he then splits into two and after that into three.

tA9U3.png
L5F5B.png
be2mp.png

And after that he goes back to just one, but with an improved ice attack. After brute-forcing him for a while, we decided to play it smart and just use an ice demon and wait on the side for the demon to finish him off.
Well, that's it. Mr. Daidouji is dead, the parasite fled, Rasputin is gone, too. So we head back to the agency.

2Murz.png
plej8.png
m4pGY.png

Rasputin is important enough to warrant a visit from the shrine. We don't learn much important stuff to go on, though. So let's see what the next chapter will bring.

sLIEY.png
sLl9q.png
iZaD6.png

Going by my saves, it took me about an hour, with my slow playstyle that's really short.

Jucksalbe

Banned
LSaOU.png
sLl9q.png

Chapter 4. With no lead to follow, we will just have to wait and see what will turn up. Shouldn't take very long.

gFogr.png
xHPC4.png
JL7GY.png

We get a visit by the owner of the item shop. Seems all his recent shipments have gone missing. Since we need his items he blackmails us into investigating his case. And on top he doubles all his prices, so we shouldn't make any big investments for now.

dcz6p.png
cAD7n.png

Harumi (is the "-cho" actually part of the name?) is where the port is located. So naturally we find a lot of sailors and foreigners here. Not much to do here anyway, there are some new demons to catch, their highest level seems to be 29. The Sati is probably the hardest to catch, since it's immune to bullets (just use a Frost demon). So with no real lead, we decide to talk to the first person we recognize.

ytCPL.png
F7Wun.png
kXfdA.png

It's the owner of the restaurant from the second chapter! Turns out she is related to the previous owner of the transport company. He died and his partner Elfman took over. Incidentally this is when the cargo started disappearing.

pmCWz.png
3ubkl.png

Let's ask for advice back at the agency. But first let's get two shiny new tubes. You can never have enough of those.

WyuBX.png
BSilN.png
SBUwh.png

So, the Haguro-gumi. Who was that again?

L7Fmo.png
3U4sB.png
F8kKf.png

MQU1M.png
qHKK6.png
AOrvO.png

Ah, right, the wannabe Yakuza. At least he gives us some more information. Seems like we really should pay a visit to this Elfman guy. Let's head back to Harumi.

gQ7w3.png
HxH9S.png
gIBZS.png

On our way we meet the (now hopeful) owner of the item shop again. He's in his "just one last time" mood. Of course, the latest shipment gets lost, too, along with some of the sailors protecting it.

3gW02.png

Enough is enough. Only one place stuff can suddenly disappear to. To the Dark Realm!

x1r86.png
7VGGw.png
AQBAD.png

There we find three of the sailors in danger. Each of those scenes results in a fight against 9(?) Anzus.

ehZwK.png
fS4dv.png
AJwR1.png

On the road we find a strange but familiar doll. Well, well, who might be behind all this? But first there are some demons that desperately want to get rid of us.

zhDNv.png
wi5CU.png
Ti0FS.png

Good thing, we have an Anzu set as default demon. These guys seem to be weak to force attacks. This wasn't much of a challenge, it can't be the real boss fight, can it?

eAQow.png
vPjZl.png
cjCX9.png

We rescued the sailors, we found the cargo (unscathed, so nice of the demons to take good care of it instead of just dumping it), seems we are done here. So, let's talk about Elfman.

YrnqP.png
XtaqS.png
ZdayG.png

Hmm..."this ring should give you entrance", I have heard that in another game recently. At least we have the means to get to Elfman, so where is he?

KHI9b.png
ujADf.png
n5DEp.png

This is bad. That demon didn't seem all too friendly last time. I hope we have enough booze ready.

XDlBN.png

Wait, wait, first another promotion, which gives us: nothing.

6DjDF.png
lEtaP.png
UtIDc.png

So to convince him we have to do some SMT style demon negotiation. Give me money, give me more money, that's enough!

IlOFa.png

So now we can use him as a boat and call him at every blue point on the map.

2eIN1.png
6Y6nq.png

O9Xpx.png
9JLa5.png

Before we go on, we should look around where else this new boat can take us. There are some strange locations that seem to be important later on and then there's the Training Hall. Actually it's just a bunch of treasure "chests", but the catch is you can only reach them with a demon. So basically, this area is a training ground for demons.

xGSF2.png
sY2Q5.png

So, let's go to the church. This is a catholic church in a Japanese game, so naturally something evil has to be going on here. There's noone here, though.

LWlEY.png
YopbV.png

Let's take a look at the cemetery in the back. There's a suspicious ghost here, so of course, before anything let's open the grave next to him.

sK6eb.png
z0Ehc.png
vOeQC.png

This seems a bit mean, so let's at least talk to the ghost. He says he was killed by someone who then took on his identity. Since this obviously has to be related to our case, this ghost has to be Elfman, since real Elfman would never be really evil, or so we've been told.

1shAj.png
7IZTi.png
Gp4fs.png

We show him the ring to confirm his fomer identity. Now that we know what's going on, we can finally go back to the church and see what evil stuff happens there.

Xzl9C.png
0xGGX.png
es7Xt.png

It's Rasputin, trying to look cool. He confirms what we already know so let's get to the juicy stuff.

LdpAe.png
yUd0M.png
rAVJR.png

So, we finally learn of Kaya's location and the name of that project he mentions earlier. Sure is nice of him to always tell us so much and then try to kill us afterwards. Nothing personal, of course.

mnsXl.png
JawSj.png
6UDb9.png

This time we actually get to fight him personally. Well, at least after we get him out of those Matryoshkas. That's the easy part, though. For the second part of the fight, he stays outside and casts mean stuff like Megido (avoid at all cost!). I didn't really try to find a good strategy for this fight and more or less used a brute-force method. Bring out a healer and whack him until he falls (while avoiding Megido). It worked.

tZjBV.png
GYb3g.png
h2nBZ.png

The big surprise (well, the first one): He doesn't flee after the fight. The second surprise: he's actually not human, but a "mechanical doll". Seems like a very good idea to just leave him there. We will soon regret that because....

Ipxjz.png

....he's a terminator!

AFPwz.png
7ifkR.png
dWtsH.png

kai3345

Banned
I keep trying to get back into Raidou 2, I've beaten the first boss (well I guess technically the second) after that im completely lost, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do or where I'm supposed to go.

PowderedToast

about 15 hours into innocent sin and i'm smitten. the plot really does unravel beautifully. it's as good as the old school megaten fans claimed it to be and more.

it's hard not to look back at P3 and see how in certain respects it simply pales in comparison.

Dantis

I'm guessing I'm in the minority here but i
loathe
Devil Survivor. To me, it's too slow paced, I did not like the characters and the music was lacking. Because of this I ignored Devil Survivor 2. I'm torn because I love SMT and their spinoffs but DS1 and Overclocked did nothing for me.

Is DS2 pretty much identical in terms of gameplay , characters and music? I did not like Raidou1 but do like Raidou2, I'm hoping for a similar situation here.
Thanks.

Don't worry, I feel the same way. Got to the end of Day 3 and just stopped playing. I have DS2 but haven't even bothered with it. No idea why they get so hyped.

Decided to replay Persona 3 FES. NG+ playthrough though, so I'm gonna mainly focus on maxing every social link and beating Elizabeth. =D

I started this at the beginning of the week. I wish they'd left an option to carry over all your stats and gear in P4. I like going through just trouncing everybody.

about 15 hours into innocent sin and i'm smitten. the plot really does unravel beautifully. it's as good as the old school megaten fans claimed it to be and more.

it's hard not to look back at P3 and see how in certain respects it simply pales in comparison.

Wait until you see the ending. I finished it last week and ooooh man. It's glorious.

Soulhouf

Strange Journey beaten, Law ending.
I also have another save so I will try the chaos ending as well and after that I will play NG+ and go neutral and do the new side quests.
Until now I never consulted a guide and the only password demon I used was Cu-Chulainn given by him after his side mission. If I missed some important things I will fix that in NG+.
This is where the true game begins I guess. Now I will also try to complete the compendium as well.

The 2nd part is definitely much better story-wise.
The best megaten since Nocturne IMO.

I have a question regarding NG+ though: does the difficulty increase?

I keep trying to get back into Raidou 2, I've beaten the first boss (well I guess technically the second) after that im completely lost, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do or where I'm supposed to go.

Don't you have to get your luck purified? I'm probably thinking of the wrong boss.

I have a question regarding NG+ though: does the difficulty increase?

Aside from the extra areas that open up, no.

BasilZero

Awesome thread!

I'm kinda familiar with the series since I've played some of the older games years ago but I didnt exactly get into the series until I started playing Persona 1 Portable on the PSP.

So far I've played P1P, P2IS PSP, and P3P , all on PSP.

Planning to get P4G for the Vita and possibly play some of the older classics once I get a hold of them.

Finally started playing innocent sin psp. This game is so easy it actually makes me mad. Like I don't even feel like I'm playing a video game. Were persona 1 and eternal punishment like this? Because I remember them being difficult, or at least not complete joke easy

Soulhouf

I was lucky "Riot Gun" changed into "Jihad".

Az4i0jdCUAE5l6J.jpg

That's a hell of strong attack.
I have to change "Megidolaon" to "Void Nerve" or "Enduring Soul" and my first über God tier demon is ready.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I've never played a SMT game before until yesterday when I started playing P4A. Even though it's not a proper Persona game I felt compelled to at least watch the anime to know what was going on.

Why weren't the Persona games a big thing back then? This looks like a series I would've absolutely loved a couple of years ago. Today, I don't have the time to dive into 100+ hour games anymore. If I ever find myself on vacation though I might P3FES a chance cause it's on PSN.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Persona 3 and Persona 4 were pretty big things a few years ago though? Persona 3 came out in NA in 2007.

I mean as in having more exposure on different media. Never in my life did I hear about Persona until I started lurking GAF.

Headed to Yoyogi Park, no deaths since then while hunting Fiends and finshing Kalpas (going for Demon ending this time, though. Neutral -> TDE -> Demon).

I'm also mixing it up with demons I never used before, so I have Kushinada, Dionysus, and Ikusa along with stalwart favs like Arahabaki, Hanuman, and Daisoujou.

Top Bottom