• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of 25 years of Demon Summoning, GAF Plays: The (Shin) Megami Tensei series

Day 7 of DS:O, Naoya/Kaido route.

I love how unapologetically 'we will rule the world' this path is, but yikes, it makes the AO route look easy.

I just started that as well. Good Lord that first mission is painful. I think I'm going to have to grind. Amane's wrecking my main team, which is lame given the time and makka I spent on these resists!

ijs3K.jpg

(耐: Resist, 無: Void)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So anyone else here ever played the Digital Devil Saga series? Did love those games and really wish that they would release a collection pack for the PSP or VITA. Saw the awesome post Jucksalbe did one page back, but the game itself is like one of the less talked about within the series and have always wondered why. Considering the characters, setting and story were quite well done.

DigitalDevilSaga.jpg

cj_iwakura

So anyone else here ever played the Digital Devil Saga series? Did love those games and really wish that they would release a collection pack for the PSP or VITA. Saw the awesome post Jucksalbe did one page back, but the game itself is like one of the less talked about within the series and have always wondered why. Considering the characters, setting and story were quite well done.

DigitalDevilSaga.jpg

It has a devout following, and many consider it classic, myself included.

Herla

I think I've reached the point in Raidou 2 where I went from "this is pretty good" to "this is fucking amazing".

I defeated the White Rider for a sub-quest and leveled up, so I decided to go fuse some stuff, as usual.
Victor started acting crazy again, so I gave him the gems he wanted. Last time I did this my demon gained additional stats, so why the heck not?

Then this happens.

And now I am at level 29 with a level 49 demon.
This is why I'll probably never be able to play DDS. I fucking LOVE fusing.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
It has a devout following, and many consider it classic, myself included.

Am very glad to hear that since really was a well done series. I really wish it would get some sort of reboot as the world and setting I totally loved.
Glad to see other fans around too looking through the thread. :D

One thing Ill always remember about the "early" (S)MT games was the wonderful bugs lol. Thankfully which dont happen like they used to with the modern games. But that was all part of the charm back in the days haha

depward

DigitalDevilSaga.jpg

Yes and DDS 1 and 2 remain my favorite SMT games. Gameplay is pure SMT, music is top notch, the story is intriguing and my most favorite part of all - no demon fusion!

I think I've reached the point in Raidou 2 where I went from "this is pretty good" to "this is fucking amazing".

I defeated the White Rider for a sub-quest and leveled up, so I decided to go fuse some stuff, as usual.
Victor started acting crazy again, so I gave him the gems he wanted. Last time I did this my demon gained additional stats, so why the heck not?
Then this happens.
And now I am at level 29 with a level 49 demon.
This is why I'll probably never be able to play DDS. I fucking LOVE fusing.
Glad to see you are enjoying it :). More people should play it.
What kind of question is this? :p
As a matter of fact, DDS1 was the first Megaten game I ever played; I do like the games a lot.
Lol, it was a bit of a silly question due to title thread huh haha. It was actually my first as well. After beating 2, I made sure to try out other SMT games. DDS2 was just so good

Soulhouf

Yes and DDS 1 and 2 remain my favorite SMT games. Gameplay is pure SMT, music is top notch, the story is intriguing and my most favorite part of all - no demon fusion!

Contradiction in the same sentence!

Seriously I started DDS twice and every time I stopped playing it. I so much love talking to demons and recruiting/fusing them in the series.
Okay it's not a Shin Megami Tensei but still...

BlackJace

Haha, so the OP suggests not playing P4A due to the region-locking?

Anyways, I've been playing thru P3F for about 20+ hours and I love it. First time in the series. Will buy more, most def.

Ourobolus

Banned
Not gonna lie, reading this thread makes me want to finally finish DDS2. For some stupid reason I decided to play it on Hard and I've been stuck at Meganada for years now.

I need to grind out Mind Charge, because it's slowly coming to the point where I need Debilitate. I wish I had used some sort of guide when levelling my characters though instead of somewhat willy-nilly levelling them all over the grid. Oh well.

cj_iwakura

Absolutely buried Remiel/Jezebel in Day 7. On a steamroll now.

Need more demons though, I went a bit fuse crazy.

My team? God-tier. Black Frost is so broken good.

And nothing will stop me from getting P4A. Heck, almost bought it twice like I did Catherine.

(The OT is shaping up nicely.)

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Not gonna lie, reading this thread makes me want to finally finish DDS2. For some stupid reason I decided to play it on Hard and I've been stuck at Meganada for years now.

I need to grind out Mind Charge, because it's slowly coming to the point where I need Debilitate. I wish I had used some sort of guide when levelling my characters though instead of somewhat willy-nilly levelling them all over the grid. Oh well.

You can get debilitate fairly easily I think by Combo Skills. I don't know the exact formula, but try giving all your characters buffs and debuff spells. In the same vein Charge works really well in that fight.

Ourobolus

Banned
You can get debilitate fairly easily I think by Combo Skills. I don't know the exact formula, but try giving all your characters buffs and debuff spells. In the same vein Charge works really well in that fight.

Yeah, that's why I need Mind Charge. Mind Charge + -nda skill I think is what does it.

Link1110

Got o he last boss in SJ, don't feel like grinding for 10 hours or whatever, moving to nocturne. Is there any benefit to putting my main characters points into Magic or luck in this game, or should I do what I always do in mainseries smt and go for attack vitality and agility?

Lexmark2

Banned
Megami Tensei I(not shin) and Shin Megami Tensei II are my favorite games of the old ones. I kinda wish they'd have kept the artwork like this
Beth1.jpg

Instead of this
smt2art04.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with this style I just like the old art without weirdly drawn feet better :p.

I never said that, please buy and play the game if you want to. I'm just pissed about the situation they put me in, so I reduced the "advertisement" in the OP a little.

Well the 360 version was going to be region locked regardless so do you think you can still put that in the op without a big sign on it please. You can still keep the ps3 version will be region locked because its true. I just don't think its fair to do that with other games in the OP are region locked as well.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Well the 360 version was going to be region locked regardless so do you think you can still put that in the op without a big sign on it please. You can still keep the ps3 version will be region locked because its true. I just don't think its fair to do that with other games in the OP are region locked as well.
That would make it seem like the 360 version would be in some way superior. Oh well, I changed that image the day we first heard about the region lock, so I might have been a little too mad. I changed the image back to the original now, since most people probably won't care about the region lock anymore as soon as the EU version is released. I will simply leave out the screenshots.

Link1110

Nocturnal is liking my ass. I have an interface question, though.
Can I display demon analyss info on the screen in battle, or do I have to memorize it? Iirc, I could do this even in the snes smt games, buti can't figure it out here. It's hard to get used toaster strange journey.

randomkid

I think "It's hard to get used toaster strange journey." should be the new thread title. Maybe the next LTTP.

Luck Build isn't really all that bad, just get the Dragon Vest and save up money for demons if you can. It's funny that so many of us had it though, I think it's the game's way of punishing you for avoiding strong choices during that quiz in the beginning.

cj_iwakura

Nocturnal is liking my ass. I have an interface question, though.
Can I display demon analyss info on the screen in battle, or do I have to memorize it? Iirc, I could do this even in the snes smt games, buti can't figure it out here. It's hard to get used toaster strange journey.

You need the Analyze skill, or eidetic memory.

Soulhouf

Seems like you were cursed with the Luck Build.

I ended up saving before each level up and reloading until I get one without luck increase.
It's painful but it works.
I still don't understand Atlus's choice of not letting us choose which stats to increase. I think it's the first Shin Megami Tensei I play which is like that... (already beat SMTI, SMTII, SMTIII, SMT if...).

Esura

Banned
My bro just finished up Persona 4 and loved it, which inspired him to make these posters. I just thought I'd share with you guys because I feel like you'd appreciate it.

That's dope as hell. It has that...art deco-y vibe to me for some reason which is just bamtastic.

I also finished Persona 4 a little bit after midnight. 104 hours and I think I started this game around June 20th or later I think. Wanted to finish Persona 4 and get it out of the way so I can go into Arena but I found myself absolutely enjoying Persona 4 post Yukiko's Castle.

Link1110

That's dope as hell. It has that...art deco-y vibe to me for some reason which is just bamtastic.

I also finished Persona 4 a little bit after midnight. 104 hours and I think I started this game around June 20th or later I think. Wanted to finish Persona 4 and get it out of the way so I can go into Arena but I found myself absolutely enjoying Persona 4 post Yukiko's Castle.

Great use of a dark hour XP

Esura

Banned
Great use of a dark hour XP

LOL

I'm actually starting P3 for the first time....kind of (never went beyond a few hours in)....today. I own P3FES for PS2 and PS3 and I own P3P. I want to play FES for the anime scenes, the Answer and the like but I want to play P3P for the more P4-like gameplay. I'm kind of torn.

Koroviev

LOL

I'm actually starting P3 for the first time....kind of (never went beyond a few hours in)....today. I own P3FES for PS2 and PS3 and I own P3P. I want to play FES for the anime scenes, the Answer and the like but I want to play P3P for the more P4-like gameplay. I'm kind of torn.

Play FES as a dude, P3P as a lady. See all the content, whether at home or on the go.

kai3345

Banned
My bro just finished up Persona 4 and loved it, which inspired him to make these posters. I just thought I'd share with you guys because I feel like you'd appreciate it.

fuuuck, do you have a printable version of these? I'd love to print the P4 one out at kinko's and frame it for my new apartment

Ourobolus

Banned
YES! Finally took down Meganada, after like 2-3 years of being stuck!

Almost didn't make it. I was doing fine until he decided to Dekunda himself and then slowly Debilitate me after I was fully charged. He changed forms in the middle of a turn and wiped out Gale and Argilla with Viraj Blade, but Seraph was still up. Luckily I had a Mind Charge up from the previous turn, so one last Agidyne was all I needed to knock him out.

Now...I should probably make sure I have Dekaja/Dekunda for the final boss, unlike this one. :D

EDIT: aaaaand done! Brahman wasn't too bad. Really glad I got Dekunda on Seraph for the fight. Really helped. Now, I suppose Raidou 1 is on deck!

I live!

Sector F is an interesting place. It is much less teleporty and pitfally than Eridanus, so there’s that. It also features fights with almost all the bosses of the previous sectors--except this time they’re bigger and... well, I’d say badder, but they’re all pretty easy to defeat.

Morax/Moloch
ZOPfA.png
cJEll.png

Mitra (not pictured)/Mithras
Ar3vQ.png

Horkos/Orcus
raN3L.png
XcoZW.png

Asura/Asherah
WzaII.png
sK6L0.png

Midway through these fights, I get called away by the news that Jimenez got himself captured by Jack’s Squad... and they’re pretty pissed at us for violating our noninterference agreement. This leaves me no choice but to bust in the front door.

Y6zGQ.png

I make my way through Jack's compound--it's small and unmistakably human-created, which is kind of a nice change from the unfathomable depths I've been plumbing for the past 55 hours. Anyway, I eventually find Jimenez, but he’s in a pretty shitty situation.

qkSFk.png
rxK8C.png

Apparently both he and Bugaboo have been tortured, and while J claims to be holding out OK, poor Bugaboo is fading fast. So he asks me to fuse the two of them in order to save his demon buddy.

JfxUX.png
tRnC8.png

It goes... pretty well, actually! Let’s see if we can reason with Captain Jack, since I’m sure Jimenez is still in complete control of his emot--

5KzHz.png

Welp. On the plus side, with Jack dead we get to make the remaining squad members cough up their technological secrets.

8pT9L.png

And since we can now detect Exotic Matter, it’s time to follow the trail down to the deepest levels of the sector, where we encounter...

HLmrK.png

Tiamat! She’s weak to lightning and uses a couple of ice attacks and is a complete pushover. Kind of anticlimactic given how much trouble Ouroboros in sector E gave me. But whatever. She leaves behind the Exotic Matter, and we set a course for yet more parts unknown.

cj_iwakura

Cleared Day 7 of the Naoya/Kaido route in DS:O.

Amazing ending in terms of ominous foreshadowing. Puts True Demon to shame.

I'm at Day 8's endgame,

went against everyone. Might as well go the full TDE 9. Screw you, Yuzu. Traitor.

Metatron = D:

Link1110

I decided to dig into Last Bible 3, I've had it or years and last time I tried it years ago, my Japanese wasn't good enough for it. I've played about 6 hours so far, and I like the way the intro feels. Between going to school, adventuring with my friends the coming home to my "family," it really feels like I'm a kid living his life in this world. I haven't seen a game that perfected its feel like this since Wild Arms 3.

Esura

Banned
Cleared Day 7 of the Naoya/Kaido route in DS:O.

Amazing ending in terms of ominous foreshadowing. Puts True Demon to shame.

I'm at Day 8's endgame,

went against everyone. Might as well go the full TDE 9. Screw you, Yuzu. Traitor.

Metatron = D:

You get to kill Yuzu in the Naoya ending in Overclocked? Dang, I need to do those eighth days in Overclocked.

Only beaten the original one.

Soulhouf

@perfect free: oh my. I'm just before that section and you spoiled me what will happen next, well done -_-

At least I now know that something interesting will happen...

Sinople

@perfect free: oh my. I'm just before that section and you spoiled me what will happen next, well done -_-

At least I now know that something interesting will happen...

That's not his fault, it's the point of the thread.
You could just have skipped the post after reading the title or the fist line. I'm in sector E too, by the way.

cj_iwakura

You get to kill Yuzu in the Naoya ending in Overclocked? Dang, I need to do those eighth days in Overclocked.

Only beaten the original one.

It's an optional path; you can either kill all those who stand against you or try to persuade them. I went with the former. Yuzu and Midori confront you, and summon Metatron.

Top Bottom