• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

leng jai

This game is really really impressive. What the heck are Square doing? I had no idea this game existed a until about 3 days ago. Such a shame this get less than 10% of GTA4's sales when it's a vastly superior game IMO.

Chairhome

Loving this game. I normally don't go looking for side missions, but they're so fun that they don't feel like a chore. Zooming around the city on a bike is fun, I bought a faster motorcycle and decided to try to jump an oncoming car... car turned out to be a cop car and the led to a high speed pursuit. Fun times.

I haven't really run into any problems on my 560ti and Phenom II x4 955 combo. Game is gorgeous.

Darklord

Banned
I'm using a 360 wireless controller on PC and my computer keeps going to the screen saver like I'm idle. It screws up the game and makes it windowed when it does that too. Is there a way to fix that?

newsguy

To me it's not an exaggeration at all. I could barely get through 50% of GTA4 because the controls are just dire in every facet. Shooting was poor and hand to hand combat was not much better.

The physics engine alone overshadows most of what Sleeping Dogs does. From hit detection to car handling.

massoluk

Banned
I never crashed before, but per industry standard, I've crashed to desktop three times since the last update in the last 3 hours of play.

JoeBoy101

It´s a very good game, but you´re exaggerating.

Maybe not vastly, but its the better game. Better story, better melee, and in my opinion, better gun play. Sure, the city is more accurately modeled and the physics engine is incredible, but I can get those physics with RDR.

SD runs well, looks great, and is fun to play. GTA IV (at least before expansions) only really did one of those three.

leng jai

The physics engine alone overshadows most of what Sleeping Dogs does. From hit detection to car handling.

That one thing does nothing to contribute to the fun factor with the gunplay/controls to back it up. RDR on the other hand is a better game than SD to me because it controls better and has amazing hit detection/physics.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Wow, that high speed shaky cam effect sure is annoying. I could understand it on a bike, but with a car?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Okay so the fact car jacking tucks forces you to manually manoeuvre towards the driver cabin is too cool.

I'm really enjoying the story so far, but I'm a little disappointed at how it jumps sometimes. For example (~50% spoilers)
maybe I missed it, but I didn't realise Winston was involved in any marriage at all. So when he threw out "yeah this wedding is getting to me" I couldn't help but think "Wait what wedding?". Same goes for that point in the story, where you suddenly have a nice new apartment. I get that they imply you're now working through the ranks, but the moment before this happens kind of ends on a "I'll think about it" note. Nope. All of a sudden, new swanky apartment.

FGMPR

Banned
Nighttime. Rain. Motorcycle. Eminence Front.

Awesome.

These open-world GTA clones (for lack of a better term) always have these types of moments for me. Replace SD with GTA IV and replace Eminence Front with Let's Get Lost and you have my most potent memory of GTA IV.

mxgt

Banned
Only played the first 30 mind or so before I had to leave for work this morning but first impressions are solid. Graphics are amazing at night on PC and combat is enjoyable.

JoeBoy101

Okay so the fact car jacking tucks forces you to manually manoeuvre towards the driver cabin is too cool.

I'm really enjoying the story so far, but I'm a little disappointed at how it jumps sometimes. For example (~50% spoilers)
maybe I missed it, but I didn't realise Winston was involved in any marriage at all. So when he threw out "yeah this wedding is getting to me" I couldn't help but think "Wait what wedding?". Same goes for that point in the story, where you suddenly have a nice new apartment. I get that they imply you're now working through the ranks, but the moment before this happens kind of ends on a "I'll think about it" note. Nope. All of a sudden, new swanky apartment.

I agree with your story points, but it jumps alot less later in the story. Still, there's not usually much explanation how
you get your particular crash pads, but you its kind of assumed. Also, the place in Kennedy makes the Central apartment look like a hovel.

JohngPR

I'm not very far into the game, but it does seem like the story jumps to conclusions sometimes.

Characters will say something, or you read something in a report that hadn't been implied in the story otherwise.

Still, the story is compelling. There haven't been many undercover cop stories (The protagonist in The Getaway 2 was undercover wasn't he?) in games so this is pretty cool.

newsguy

That one thing does nothing to contribute to the fun factor with the gunplay/controls to back it up. RDR on the other hand is a better game than SD to me because it controls better and has amazing hit detection/physics.

I agree. They really tweaked the engine positively for RDR and it was obvious.

wow it was weird driving in hearing about the mines violence, with miners killing with melee weapons really made me think about playing sleeping dogs and how some of these battles are occurring real life (ie its not always just guns)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The joys of street racing.

sleep15dbry.png

Police saw me rollin', they hated, patrolling and in fact did catch me riding dirty (there was a guy in the trunk. I liked his umbrella.)

sleep2xtxq6.png

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So, as a fan of the Mafia series, does this game deliver a similar type of experience? A proper, well paced narrative can really elevate these sandbox games to a new level and it is something lacking in most. They often drop a cutscene at the start of a mission that feels disconnected from the game itself. The Mafia series, however, manages to keep the story telling flowing throughout every major mission.

GTA has attempted this, but again, it feels too disconnected for its own good and struggles to bring drama to the missions themselves.

Does Sleeping Dogs fall more on the Mafia side of things in this regard or is it just another GTA clone through and through?

Marleyman

Banned
This game is really really impressive. What the heck are Square doing? I had no idea this game existed a until about 3 days ago. Such a shame this get less than 10% of GTA4's sales when it's a vastly superior game IMO.

I put this game right up there with GTA this gen; I love it. The random bugs however I don't love.

Chairhome

So, as a fan of the Mafia series, does this game deliver a similar type of experience? A proper, well paced narrative can really elevate these sandbox games to a new level and it is something lacking in most. They often drop a cutscene at the start of a mission that feels disconnected from the game itself. The Mafia series, however, manages to keep the story telling flowing throughout every major mission.

GTA has attempted this, but again, it feels too disconnected for its own good and struggles to bring drama to the missions themselves.

Does Sleeping Dogs fall more on the Mafia side of things in this regard or is it just another GTA clone through and through?

I'm unsure of the meaning of the question, but the way its been for me so far is that the missions follow the main narrative of the story and have continuity with each other.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I wouldn't call the narrative well paced, but the missions themselves usually tie the gameplay and the story together pretty well I guess?

dark10x

I'm unsure of the meaning of the question, but the way its been for me so far is that the missions follow the main narrative of the story and have continuity with each other.
Have you played either Mafia title? They handle story beats in a different fashion from most sandbox games and it has a huge impact on the experience, I feel. It may seem subtle on the surface, but the way the narrative runs through the mission rather than simply book-ending it makes a world of difference.

so far the story missions feel very much connected. The voice acting and writing are good but not near Mafia levels of good. Mafia was clearly at a different level from regular open world games when it came to narrative. I will say I am invested in the main characters story as they drop more hints about his past.

Marleyman

Banned
I don't like that I can only buy clothes at certain times; that makes no sense to me. Also, this title has you using the phone a bunch. I didn't mind this at all in GTA but man was there a vocal group of haters of this feature along with dates. I love it as it adds immersion to the game but people seemed to hate that about GTAIV.

EatChildren

Have you played either Mafia title? They handle story beats in a different fashion from most sandbox games and it has a huge impact on the experience, I feel. It may seem subtle on the surface, but the way the narrative runs through the mission rather than simply book-ending it makes a world of difference.

I get a lot of Mafia vibes from Sleeping Dogs, but I'm trying to work out why. I think it might be the lively, detailed city.

And I do feel the story is nicely strung together, but it's also a very different game/experience to Mafia. Mafia tries to heavily ground itself in a gritty, realistic mobster world. It has its share of set pieces, but it's always so grounded. Sleeping Dogs is very precisely channelling Hong Kong blood operas. So sure, you have realistic and interesting interactions among the characters, and believable settings and set pieces, but the action and events themselves unfold in over the top ultra violent ways. It's very arcadey at times, but deliberately so.

Blastoise

Banned
Just bought the PC version even thou I know my current setup can't run it well.

EDIT: Mostly due to the giantbomb review and quicklook, and Hong Kong setting.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I haven't played a GTA in ages, but that's mostly because I get bored of them really fast. Sleeping dogs so far has managed to avoid that problem.

Maybe it has something to do with the gameplay not being boring. :p

I get a lot of Mafia vibes from Sleeping Dogs, but I'm trying to work out why. I think it might be the lively, detailed city.

And I do feel the story is nicely strung together, but it's also a very different game/experience to Mafia. Mafia tries to heavily ground itself in a gritty, realistic mobster world. It has its share of set pieces, but it's always so grounded. Sleeping Dogs is very precisely channelling Hong Kong blood operas. So sure, you have realistic and interesting interactions among the characters, and believable settings and set pieces, but the action and events themselves unfold in over the top ultra violent ways. It's very arcadey at times, but deliberately so.

I'm thinking perhaps its because we are seeing a completely different world than we are used to, in Mafia's case because it was set in the past and in sleeping dogs case in asia. its not another modern day new york for example

This is a recurring issue right up to the end, too much stuff is implied and new characters are introduced only to not show up again after just one mission.

dark10x

Anyone played 360 and ps3 version ?

is the difference really that bad between them ?
Do you really think the difference is that significant in those shots? The 360 version is a little sharper while the PS3 version is softer but slightly less jaggy as a result. It's certainly not a huge difference (at least based on those shots).

Still, PC version seems like the way to go.

Pranay

Do you really think the difference is that significant in those shots? The 360 version is a little sharper while the PS3 version is softer but slightly less jaggy as a result. It's certainly not a huge difference (at least based on those shots).

Still, PC version seems like the way to go.

Well i dont have the option of PC for now, thats why i was asking about the difference between 360 and ps3

Top Bottom