• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

I finally played it and beat it after 9 months in the backlog. Very, very good game. I usually get bored of sandbox games and give up on them somewhere in the middle (GTA4, I'm looking at you) but this had an interesting enough story and some nice twists on the usual formula that kept me playing till the end. Glad that GAF was right, the game deserves all the praise it gets.

I'll continue playing a bit to hunt some more trophies but with so many games out there I don't think I'll bother with the DLC. I'll be there Day 1 for a sequel, though!

Got this game thanks to ps plus. Not sure if this needs spoiler tags, but I'll put it anyways. I was wondering does
Tiffany have any purpose after breaking up with you? I accidentally killed her lol.
Hopefully I'm not missing out on anything.

Got this game thanks to ps plus. Not sure if this needs spoiler tags, but I'll put it anyways. I was wondering does
Tiffany have any purpose after breaking up with you? I accidentally killed her lol.
Hopefully I'm not missing out on anything.

Nope.

In fact none of them do once you get a special ability from each of them (able to see certain hidden items on your map)

AniHawk

well if saint's row is silly gta done right, this must be serious gta done right. and it does it without having to tell the audience that it is trying to be serious. that's not to say there isn't any levity, but it's balanced much better than how gta iv handled its story and characters.

after san andreas, i really can't do city-only sandbox games anymore, probably one of the reasons i enjoyed red dead redemption so much. however, this again feels like a better gta iv. so many things work well like the leveling system, combat, freerunning, hijacking cars, and hell- even the cell phone is easy to use versus its gta counterpart.

the atmosphere really helps too. one of the things i disliked about gta iv is that it's supposed to be new york city, but hey- it's a fictional place. there really wasn't any reason we could have had the variety in locale we saw in san andreas. sleeping dogs is another city-only game, but it's just one city that exists in real life. i'm fine with that. plus, there are enough shortcuts, routes around town, and ways to cut on travel time that i was never really that bored.

i don't think i would have enjoyed it as a purchase, but i did enjoy the time i spent with it at least.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Beat it just a minute ago. The whole ending is a major what but probably because I rushed through the story so the only conclusion is
doing the police work
with none of the NPC's joining in that ending besides
the new triad bosslady that you "supported" but only supported her because she kept you alive

Long credits are long.

Personally, the game isn't as good as people hype it to be. Is it bad? No. But I can see why Activision originally canned it: It just isn't very... "fun" to go through. I mean I'm totally apathetic about it and that's kinda a bad thing when you have so many things in a sandbox to do, you know?

Though pulling headshots with the guns (triggers on the PS3 version, WTF UFG?) in slow-mo by going into cover, staying out of cover and just popping people in the head to reset slow-mo constantly broke the game in hilarious fashions. Like
defending the Golden Koi
I just hopped over the car, popped fools in the head, while in slow-mo grabbed a shotgun. Spammed it to center-mass to reset slow-mo. Hit a car for cover. Jumped over right as the slow-mo-ended-to-start-slow-mo-again, spammed shotgun at the four enemies coming out of the car annihilating them.

ZenaxPure

Personally, the game isn't as good as people hype it to be. Is it bad? No. But I can see why Activision originally canned it: It just isn't very... "fun" to go through. I mean I'm totally apathetic about it and that's kinda a bad thing when you have so many things in a sandbox to do, you know?

It's pretty funny, I just beat this yesterday myself while I had an internet outage and I think it's the best open world crime game I've ever played. Every single facet of the gameplay has some sort of additional layer to it that offered plenty of nuance. Melee combat had a lot of different combos + enemy variety that forced you into using different skills (until you got that insane elbow smash thing anyway), the slow-mo gun stuff was a lot of fun (and I never got bored of it thanks to there only being 3 or 4 major shootouts the entire game), and the ability to ram cars is like the best thing ever since it made police chases and racing more than just "go faster than the other dudes zomg!"

Not to mention I am always a fan of the little things like clothing customization and buying shit for your apartment which this game has for no reason other than to be awesome.

Speaking from purely a gameplay perspective I honestly can't think of a single other game in this sub genre that is just as much fun as Sleeping Dogs, Saints Row 3 comes close but that is more from a comedic standpoint and not so much a gameplay one.

coldfoot

Banned
I sincerely hope whoever put the platinum trophy behind gambling in this game lost their job and cannot ever find a job in video games industry ever again.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Best gambling den for save/load scumming is the one on the west port of Kennedy Town. It lets you place bets over 50k and is close to the apartment when you need to reload.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Hey, so this game is pretty good. Normally open world games like this are the scum of the earth (see GTA, RDR, Saint's Row (2), AC to an extent), but this one does a nice job of some how incorporating even the menial shit into the overall flow of the world and story. There was almost an instant where I quit the game.. the first race I encountered, Enduro. I didn't realize it was a dlc race immediately available. A 7 minute race that begins you from start when you fail and has rubber band ai? I was about to say fuck this game just on principle..but then I realized it wasn't meant to be tackled so early, least not just with Sting.

But it really is the story that keeps everything together. Being able to dick around for 10 hours fetching letters while you ignore the main storyline is the worst part about open world games, but SD reels it in by not throwing a mountain of pointless side shit at you so you never forget that you do have a main line. And the side shit it does give you is quick, simple, and has worthwhile rewards. Sure, it suffers from the usual flaw of too much of the same side mission ad nauseum, but it's such a treat to have the entire world and so many travel options available to you from the beginning.

It sucks a game like this seems to get less attention than even stuff like Infamous..which has wonderful gameplay but is probably the worst open world game of all time. Ah well.

coldfoot

Banned
Best gambling den for save/load scumming is the one on the west port of Kennedy Town. It lets you place bets over 50k and is close to the apartment when you need to reload.
That's what I did, but it still took 2 hours to have $1M in winnings. That's not how you design an achievement.
On the other hand, the running disarm achievement was the most fun I have ever had when completing tasks to my platinum. Game plays much differently when you run and disarm people instead of ducking behind cover and shooting, there's almost a vanquish-like feel to it.

Enduro. I didn't realize it was a dlc race immediately available. A 7 minute race that begins you from start when you fail and has rubber band ai? I was about to say fuck this game just on principle..but then I realized it wasn't meant to be tackled so early, least not just with Sting.
Had the same experience as you, but after I beat the campaign, I got it on my 3rd try.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Had the same experience as you, but after I beat the campaign, I got it on my 3rd try.

I love it when others experience the same strange shit I do, just confirms that it's a design mistake to have dlc like that not marked some how. Not the biggest mistake in the world, just crazy how quickly your opinion on a game can switch from something like that.

params7

Banned
Just beat the game. Loved it overall, better than I expected. One of the best free-roamers after RDR out right now. Getting the DLC missions now.

Picked it up in the steam sale, this is awesome so far. Loving almost everything: the driving is brilliant, story is great, shooting is solid, the city is really beautiful even at medium specs.

EDIT: What is the fastest way to increase my face?

I just played Nightmare in North Point and I thought it was nice little piece of content with a unique style and humor. I haven't played Sleeping Dogs in a while and it was a good excuse to come back to it. I really love this game. I still cannot believe how well this game performs. They need to use this engine in more games.

I still have Year of the Snake, Wheels of Fury and the Zodiac Tournament DLC to play.

kudoboi

sleeping dogs is one of those games that i bothered to buy all the main DLCs and do a 100% completion.. i really loved the game a lot and i hope they make a sequel with another unique location

Anson225

i don't know if my game is bugged or not
whenever I play it's always nighttime, no matter how long I play, it never goes back to daytime
this didn't happen when I was playing the main game, it only happened recently for Year of the Snake and Nightmare in North Point. does anyone had the same problem before? thanks

JustinBB7

whenever I play it's always nighttime, no matter how long I play, it never goes back to daytime
this didn't happen when I was playing the main game, it only happened recently for Year of the Snake and Nightmare in North Point. does anyone had the same problem before? thanks

I think those 2 DLC's are supposed to be only at night. Or is your main game also night only now?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
The events in Nightmare and Year are supposed to happen in the span of a single night each, the lack of daytime in them is intentional.

They are story DLC where night is a part of the setting (more so in nightmare given the theme) so that is intentional.

If this is happening in the main game then you might have an issue

ss_lemonade

Why in the world is the game always crashing randomly (hkship.exe has stopped working)? I got the steam version during the summer sale and the game would randomly crash on me for no reason. Sometimes it happens a few minutes in and other times I could play for an hour before it crashes. I have an nvidia card (780) if that makes a difference

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Why in the world is the game always crashing randomly (hkship.exe has stopped working)? I got the steam version during the summer sale and the game would randomly crash on me for no reason. Sometimes it happens a few minutes in and other times I could play for an hour before it crashes. I have an nvidia card (780) if that makes a difference

Please get in touch with our dedicated tech support team for help with this issue.

So, another person who's got this with PS Plus.

Beat it last night.

Talk about a turn of events. When my cousin showed this game to me in January, i thought it was trash. I had a quick look at it "car ramming"? lol and then just went on to try some of his other stuff.

Now, after downloading the game and trying with more time i just love it. Awesome story, great missions, diverse stuff to do... really cool game.

I really hope there's a sequel, but i don't know what kind of story they would be able to tell us.

Duster

I hardly ever buy DLC and when I do it has to be something relatively substantial, however I have a little bit of money left over in my PSN wallet so was thinking about buying some Sleeping Dogs DLC.
Is any of this worth the reduced price?

Dragon Master Pack – Was €6.59/£5.29, Now €2.96/£2.38
Nightmare In North Point Pack – Was €5.49/£4.49, Now €2.47/£2.02
SWAT Pack – Was €2.99/£2.39, Now €1.49/£1.19
The Year of the Snake – Was €5.49/£4.49, Now €2.47/£2.02
Zodiac Tournament Pack – Was €3.99/£3.19, Now €1.99/£1.59

I hardly ever buy DLC and when I do it has to be something relatively substantial, however I have a little bit of money left over in my PSN wallet so was thinking about buying some Sleeping Dogs DLC.
Is any of this worth the reduced price?

Dragon Master Pack – Was €6.59/£5.29, Now €2.96/£2.38
Nightmare In North Point Pack – Was €5.49/£4.49, Now €2.47/£2.02
SWAT Pack – Was €2.99/£2.39, Now €1.49/£1.19
The Year of the Snake – Was €5.49/£4.49, Now €2.47/£2.02
Zodiac Tournament Pack – Was €3.99/£3.19, Now €1.99/£1.59

Dragon Master Pack: I wouldn't bother with it actually, doesn't add anything. Not worth it.
Nightmare in North Point: Nice piece of DLC, my least favorite of the story expanding ones though. Worth it.
SWAT pack: Is kind of nice, it adds some not-so-random crimes in the city. Probably worth it.
Year of the Snake: Takes place after the story, I think it adds the most to the game. Worth it.
Zodiac Tournament: My favorite Story DLC of the bunch. It's the shortest but I really liked it, I'm sure others might disagree though. Be aware that it is really short. In my eyes it's the coolest as well. Worth it.

Daft_Cat

Well, I got this around release for PC and only made it about a third of the way through. Loved it, but time was an issue (I had just moved and was starting grad school). Sad thing is my Macbook Retina is no longer bootcamped. I try and keep it mostly clutter free; it's my post-production/vfx hub now.

I'd love to get back into Sleeping Dogs but it looks like I'll have to *gulp*
(j/k)
get it on a console.

I remember when it released, 360 had the distinct advantage...but with all the patches, did the two versions ever reach parity? I know I'm not ever going to get something on parity with how glorious the PC version was... but my PS3 is already hooked up! I'd rather not unpack my 360 if I don't have to.

KidDork

Working my way through my Pile of Shame and I came to Sleeping Dogs. I can honestly say I love this game far more than GTA V. It's the perfect blend of Yakuza and Saint's Row.

Talyn

I just started playing and have trouble with the configuration mouse/keyboard, is it better to play with a controler ?
I thought it played really well with a 360 controller on PC but then I usually prefer a controller over mouse/keyboard for this type of game.

MRORANGE

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=869360

http://kotaku.com/looks-like-sleepi...m_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

gvqbjtlbo8niv0tcamve.jpg

October 14th for $60, with all the DLC.

Looks like Amazon spoiled the surprise.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MA5TSEM/?tag=neogaf0e-20[postId|1616950253[asin|B00MA5TSEM[authorId|5724028783693984903[referrer|t.co[type|mod-button

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MA5TSEM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I hope I can get the artbook by iteself :eek:

Skyzard

Banned
Crossposting from Steam thread about head tracking in this game:

I've been using a ps3 eye camera and a trackclipIR for headtracking on the cheap.

Just found a mod for all kinds of amazing camera control in Sleeping Dogs!

Uploaded a youtube video testing out the head tracking and custom camera in Sleeping Dogs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lwx9lm2Sq0

Download Sleeping dog camera and trackir files here

Recent quote of my experience setting up the free head tracking:

I got my Track IR Pro clip yesterday and spent the day testing things out.

Don't bother with freetrack (not supported by devs for a few years now, causes game crashing and has less functionality than the alternatives (although it has a cool skull thing that shows your head movements when you're setting it up)). Get FacetracknoIR instead and select the point tracking module (which is IR) and it works fantastically. --- There is an option to use Webcam only to track your face - it works better than I thought but I didn't spend long with it.

PS2 eyetoy works decently without modifications - at night or a dark set up perhaps.
PS3 eye (watch out, there are 2 versions and SLEH-00201 is the one needed to be able to remove the built in IR filter) works even better and is set it to 75fps at the same resolution (vs 30 on ps2 eyetoy) - no issues with daylight IR interference - I used floppydisc material to block normal light.

It's fucking sweet for flying games and great for racing games. Been meaning to get into ARMA 3, might get around to it now.

Takes a little while to remember not to look around so much when going fast (you'll crash in SC) but otherwise, so good, not much adjustment at all.
When racing I set deadzones so I can move my head some more while still being able to judge speed well. Can adjust the curves pretty easily, disable axis etc Very nice.

Space games, it's a must. Look around while still being in control, understand the situation you are in, or where you should go - much better.

£3 for the Sony eye (ps3) from C-E-X
£35 for the trackir pro clip, got mine from ebay - you can make your own IR source to wear if you prefer.

The achievement list says that the DLC packs are "physical only," so does this mean that the digital version of the definitive edition will not offer the DLC campaigns?

Koppai

As someone interested in this game, would you say it's more like GTA or more like Yakuza? Yakuza games are sadly never being released anymore and I want some games for PS4, and apparently this is headed that way.

Gimme your opinions please :)

Returners

As someone interested in this game, would you say it's more like GTA or more like Yakuza? Yakuza games are sadly never being released anymore and I want some games for PS4, and apparently this is headed that way.

Gimme your opinions please :)

GTA with Arkham's melee combat.

dokish

Banned
Playing this for the first time on PC.

Even though I played Saints Row 3, SR2 left a huge gap and hunger for open world games with actually interesting story and engaging mechanics. Played this just for a bit but I can feel that I'm hooked.

The combat feels very satisfying and the city is quite alive. The voice acting is amazing.

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
If you liked Sleeping Dogs, then you should go check out its spiritual successor, Triad Wars.

Like the original, it's being developed by United Front Games and published by Square Enix. Sign up for the game's beta here: https://triadwars.com/

Still gotta lotta love for this gem and the team behind it.

Top Bottom