• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sleeping Dogs |OT| not releasing this would have been a True Crime

So, i just got this game and i already have fallen in love with it. However, i do have a single question:

Is it worth getting any of the costume DLC i want before i beat the game? Or should i wait? I'm not sure if having it makes the game far easier, and i'd rather not do that. But i really want that Journey To The West outfit.

So, i just got this game and i already have fallen in love with it. However, i do have a single question:

Is it worth getting any of the costume DLC i want before i beat the game? Or should i wait? I'm not sure if having it makes the game far easier, and i'd rather not do that. But i really want that Journey To The West outfit.

A lot of the sillier costumes can really ruin the mood of the game and I never used them during the story. They're fun to play around with otherwise though.

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams

I'd say that the Tactical Solider outfit is almost essential as it gives you access to the Assault Rifle w/ under-barrel Grenade Launcher; plus it's in-keeping with the mood of the game given that it's real-world and puts Wei in a mask. I used it to clear out all of the Drug Busts on completion of the main story (...just watch out for the local cops)!

Shiggy

Not sure if any of you guys watch VintageBeef's Let's Play, but just saw these gifs on reddit. If you haven't checked out his videos I highly recommend it, even the Sleeping Dogs twitter has been linking to them!
wOyonTY.gif

k0Fv7ve.gif

How can you play as a policeman?

Best game I've played for a while!

BigDug13

Guys how playable is this one with keyboard?

I feel like if you have 360 wireless controllers, the wireless PC dongle is a good buy. More and more, PC ports of console games simply control better with a controller. I played through Sleeping Dogs on PC with my Xbox controller and it was great.

Monkeythumbz

Just to let you know, we've given the Sleeping Dogs website a significant upgrade. Now you can challenge your friends' in-game or website-specific high scores and earn web badges with our new online community features, see where you rank in the world on our regionalised leaderboards, plus more besides.

For a full list of all the new goodies, follow this link: CHALLENGE THE WORLD AND WIN

Monkeythumbz

Hey everyone, I hope I'm not putting anyone's noses out of joint by positing this here, just figured that as fans of the game there's a good chance you'd want this info.

Since the launch of Sleeping Dogs, we've published a number of exclusive interviews and in-depth articles that take you behind the scenes of Sleeping Dogs. Today, we've published what's probably our last one and it's our biggest (and IMHO best) yet.

I appreciate that many/most of you won't have visited our website before, so I've compiled a round-up of all our special features so that you can find them all easily at your leisure.

I sincerely hope these articles give you greater insight into the inspiration for and people behind Sleeping Dogs. If ever you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Hey everyone, I hope I'm not putting anyone's noses out of joint by positing this here, just figured that as fans of the game there's a good chance you'd want this info.

Since the launch of Sleeping Dogs, we've published a number of exclusive interviews and in-depth articles that take you behind the scenes of Sleeping Dogs. Today, we've published what's probably our last one and it's our biggest (and IMHO best) yet.

I appreciate that many/most of you won't have visited our website before, so I've compiled a round-up of all our special features so that you can find them all easily at your leisure.

I sincerely hope these articles give you greater insight into the inspiration for and people behind Sleeping Dogs. If ever you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Very cool. Thanks for posting.

Something about the colors totally fucks with my eyes, still nice of you to provide the links, gonna give them a read.

Blablurn

awesome, thank u for all that

WatTsu

Just picked this up at Best Buy for $10 (thank heavens for coupons and gift certificates).

What do you all recommend I pick up in terms of DLC, etc.? I haven't really followed the game in depth, but I'm really looking forward to checking it out.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What do you all recommend I pick up in terms of DLC, etc.? I haven't really followed the game in depth, but I'm really looking forward to checking it out.

Year of the Snake is more Sleeping Dogs, in a good way. It's well structured, makes use of basically every mechanic present in the main game, and has a good bit of content. If you'd like to extend the core experience, I'd recommend this.

Nightmare in North Point and Zodiac Tournament are satire themed. They take a base mechanic or two and construct a short series of missions around these stylised as Chinese cinema. Nightmare is classical C-grade Chinese horror, and Zodiac is an old school martial arts film. Both are 100% on point with their style, theme, and humour, and I loved them for this reason, but they're also quite short and not quite as "full" feeling as Year of the Snake. Zodiac in particular is very short, and doesn't bring much new to the table except new dudes to fight (with new fighting moves), meanwhile Nightmare at least has two new enemy variations and makes proper use of the open world.

Wheels of Fury is really cool if you dig the driving combat. It's all based around Wei Shen's bat mobile, an armoured super car with twin chain guns. You spend a few missions activating all its components, and then have a good bundle of challenge missions to test your metal. Far less story focused than the other three, and more about the fun of the car.

The SWAT Pack, Street Racer Pack, and other standalone packs are what they are. They don't bring much new to the table, maybe an outfit or car, and are more about giving you more of what Sleeping Dogs had with no real connected story.

I have a soft spot for Nightmare in North Point because of the style, even if I wish it was stronger in content. Year of the Snake is probably my favourite, even if it's more of the same, because it feels complete and thorough, and has a good blend of every single mechanic from the main game. Wheels of Fury is cool if you don't care about narrative.

Dave_6

I downloaded the demo from Steam last night and have a simple question; are the hi-res textures automatically downloaded as well with the demo? I was running on max settings at 1080p with my 7970 and it looked fantastic (60 fps too).

I am definitely buying this one soon!

Damn what a ride. Just finished the game seconds ago and it lived up to all the hype and more. Now I just blew through the story mode but I intend to go back and finish up the rest. Now I wonder what DLCs are worth it?

Damn I almost missed this gem wow.

Nabs

I downloaded the demo from Steam last night and have a simple question; are the hi-res textures automatically downloaded as well with the demo? I was running on max settings at 1080p with my 7970 and it looked fantastic (60 fps too).

I am definitely buying this one soon!

The high res pack probably doesn't work with the demo. Here's a link for when you do pick up the game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/202181/

Sleeping Dogs is currently $7.50 on the S-E store http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.251272500#.UXrvjkDUcgo

Dave_6

The high res pack probably doesn't work with the demo. Here's a link for when you do pick up the game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/202181/

Sleeping Dogs is currently $7.50 on the S-E store http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/en_US/pd/productID.251272500#.UXrvjkDUcgo

Thanks. Tried to buy it from them last night but they never would send me a confirmation email to activate my account. Will wait for a Steam sale I guess.

Edit: Nvm, finally worked so bought it along with Hitman: Absolution and Just Cause 2. Not bad for $18.75!

So. The Snake-DLC was the last DLC or will there be some new Story-DLC in the future? I just wanna know if I can finish the Northpoint and Snake DLC now or should I rather wait, till everything is "complete"?

Monkeythumbz

So. The Snake-DLC was the last DLC or will there be some new Story-DLC in the future? I just wanna know if I can finish the Northpoint and Snake DLC now or should I rather wait, till everything is "complete"?

We have no current plans to release further DLC for Sleeping Dogs.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This game has a 1 gig patch on PS3? Wtf... so annoying after huge download and install.

I was thinking I'd like to play it some time this week. lol :(

edit: Is this an essential patch? I don't feel like waiting another 40 mins for slow-ass PSN.

This game has a 1 gig patch on PS3? Wtf... so annoying after huge download and install.

edit: Is this an essential patch? I don't feel like waiting another 40 mins for slow-ass PSN.

From memory the patch allow your game to be compatible with the 2 big dlc expansions
you could play offline and then take the patch afterwards.

You won't be able to compare your score with your friends however ( in game )

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This is pretty amazing, but I really don't like the counter system. Half the time Wei doesn't counter because the dude is behind him. I want him to be the goddamn Chinese Batman. :/

Cystm

This is pretty amazing, but I really don't like the counter system. Half the time Wei doesn't counter because the dude is behind him. I want him to be the goddamn Chinese Batman. :/

That's exactly how it works though, so it seems like your timing is just off.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

The absolute most frustrating thing about this game (and I'm otherwise liking it for the most part) is goddamn motherfucking hold to walk clumsy, cumbersome-for-the-sake-of-it horseshit janky control scheme.

It makes no sense! It just makes the game really damn janky sometimes. It's quite retarded.

But no problems with counters for me.

Not having walk and jog on the analog (come on, there's only one speed for jog, why the fuck do you have to hold a goddamn button to walk!?). Plenty of room on the analog for the two walk speeds and the single jog speed. No reason to add in a damn extra button.

The sprint animation is ultra shitty. Motorcycles control like ass, and the driving camera is as bad as any I've seen in a decade. Otherwise though, game is pretty good so far.

ZenaxPure

Man, I knew there would be a patch when I turned the game on (since that is how video games work now and all) but I wasn't expecting 1 gig. Just got done installing the game from PSN but looks like I won't get the chance to play until tomorrow, don't really feel like sitting around 2 hours waiting for it to download.

Celegus

I normally hate this style of game (haven't liked GTA since 2, Infamous 1/2, even Saint's Row 3), but since it was free on PS+, I decided I might as well give it a try... and I'm actually digging it, despite having negative interest in it beforehand. My favorite part is actually the radio, listening to all the really cool music makes driving around a lot of fun. The driving itself feels really good too, something I could never get used to in Saint's Row 3. The story seems interesting so far as well, so this has been a really big surprise for me.

sunnz

I normally hate this style of game (haven't liked GTA since 2, Infamous 1/2, even Saint's Row 3), but since it was free on PS+, I decided I might as well give it a try... and I'm actually digging it, despite having negative interest in it beforehand. My favorite part is actually the radio, listening to all the really cool music makes driving around a lot of fun. The driving itself feels really good too, something I could never get used to in Saint's Row 3. The story seems interesting so far as well, so this has been a really big surprise for me.

This is why PS+ is so good and why even if the games don't interest you, you should still get it.

You never know what game could be enjoyable.

While I was overall disappointed with the latest DLC (year of the snake) I did get some enjoyment out of it.

Just wish we got a big DLC expansions instead of these 3 hour or cosmetic DLCs.

ZenaxPure

Been playing this like crazy the past few days, such an excellent game. I just really enjoy how they do not skimp on any of the gameplay, everything feels fully featured instead of just a bullet point list of content. Driving ins't just driving, ramming people is amazing as is jumping from one car to another. Melee combat is greatly involved, lots of different combos, enemy types, etc. Even the gunplay is pretty fun with slow-mo vaulting that is extended with the more kills you get. Then all the small things like clothing stat bonuses or food buffs add a bit of depth/customization to it all.

Honestly the whole thing makes me really worried about playing other open world crime games going forward, a lot to live up to here gameplay-wise.

I got this on Steam a while back but got sidetracked and only played a few hours. Thought I'd download it with ps+ and play on there for the trophies, supposed to be a pretty straightforward platinum. I knew the console version wouldn't look nearly as good as PC, but damn. Still, the allure of trophies is strong :lol

I knew it wasn't a great success in Squeenix's eyes, but have they said if it was strong enough to warrant a sequel?

Cystm

Back in October, Square Enix revised their earnings forecast for the year, pointing to sluggish sales of a major unnamed HD console game as the cause. The general suspicion was that Square Enix were referring to Sleeping Dogs, United Front Games’ Hong Kong crime drama, which Square recently published.

However, Sleeping Dogs sales are not poor, clarifies Square Enix President, Yoichi Wada. On the contrary, Wada says that he sees Sleeping Dogs as a strong new I.P., and admits that, perhaps, Square Enix’s sales expectations for the game were a tad unreasonable.

“At the announcement of forecast revisions last week, we talked about Sleeping Dogs (SD) as an example of a Western title that started out slow, which seemed to provoke misunderstandings that it was suffering poor sales,” Wada said at a financial results briefing. “Let me clarify that SD is an exceptionally remarkable title that came with very high expectations and aggressive sales targets for the First Six-Month Period. Our goal might have been exceedingly high, which is what we see here in the difference in actual versus forecast sales.”

Wada says that games like Sleeping Dogs sell over long periods of time in the West, unlike games in Japan, where lifetime sales are more or less achieved within the first one or two months on the market. Wada points to 2010’s Just Cause 2 as another example of a game that sold over a long period, starting out with an initial shipment below 1 million, and eventually reaching nearly 2.5 million sold.

Via Siliconera.

They have made good money off of this IP, and they should know by now that fans are willing to buy a sequel.

I've been playing the GTA IV Episodes for the last few weeks but for kicks I launched Sleeping Dogs. Fuck, why couldn't GTA IV perform as well and look as clean. There are aspects of both games that I really love but the poor state of the GTA IV port on PC kills me.

its weird. while I don't hate the natural motion rockstar does with GTA4 RDR and mp3, it just doesn't feel like you are completely in control.

while sleepy dogs is quite janky with animations, you feel pretty much in control.

I do wish the counter/grab animations didn't take so long though.

AniHawk

i got this thanks to ps+ as well. it's okay. and that means it's wwaaaaaaay better than i had expected. the sandbox genre really doesn't do it for me anymore, but they threw in some sort of ranking system and it keeps me coming back. the cell phone stuff is a lot easier to use than gta iv's thing and overall it's just nice and slick. i think the presentation and just being in hong kong is such a great change of scenery for this type of game. i put on the ryo hazuki outfit and it feels good to kick some ass.

Top Bottom