• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Furry-GAF

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
tumblr_lrtfserZDd1qhatq1o1_1280.png

Come to think about it, I've always been curious about Furry-GAF. So here's my first post here, for whatever reason. Heck, I'm not so sure on this... I guess for the first thing, I'd ask, hey, am I a furry? Maybe some sort of a questionnaire, made specifically for first-timers will do... And I, for some reason, don't feel that the one in the OP will do the job.

Anyone? Oh, and hi, everyone.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Come to think about it, I've always been curious about Furry-GAF. So here's my first post here, for whatever reason. Heck, I'm not so sure on this... I guess for the first thing, I'd ask, hey, am I a furry? Maybe some sort of a questionnaire, made specifically for first-timers will do... And I, for some reason, don't feel that the one in the OP will do the job.

This thread was originally a silly thread that transformed into an official-ish furry thread.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat

There's no real hard-and-fast rules towards being furry. For some it's an engrossing way of life, for others it's an artistic community, for others it's a fetish, for others it's a social circle.

So I'll go a little Morpheus and just show you the door, leave it up to you whether you walk through. The more you say 'yes' to these, the more likely you'd be comfortable, but it's not like a 'yes' is even required for all of these. Nor is this comprehensive at all, of course.

- Is there an animal or species that you feel some sort of connection to- anywhere from just being 'a dog person' to strongly lining up with an animal's stereotypical cultural personification?

- Do you have an interest in fantasy/imagination, and in creating your own world to any extent?

- Do you have an interest or desire to role-play, to represent yourself as something other than or beyond your ordinary self?

- Do you like animated/illustrated aesthetics and styles? (Realistic furry art does exist, but generally if you're jonesing for photorealism you'd be disappointed.)

- Are you comfortable, or drawn towards, the unusual and culturally unexpected? (Asked both because being furry is 'weird' and because furries are generally weird.)

- Are you comfortable with a higher level of sexual openness and expression, regardless of orientation or form? And by higher I mean... pretty high at times.

- Do you not recoil in abject horror at the idea of being called a furry?

Ultimately, whether or not you decide to make a character and call yourself a furry is up to you. And, what you make of that addition to your identity is up to you. No one post, or even one person's perspective, is going to give a really complete picture of what being furry does or could mean. This is a horrid pun, but.... the rabbit hole does go pretty deep.

This thread was originally a silly thread that transformed into an official-ish furry thread.
Haha! I've seen the first few pages of posts and I do see how the thread went. I can see your point, eh?

There's no real hard-and-fast rules towards being furry. For some it's an engrossing way of life, for others it's an artistic community, for others it's a fetish, for others it's a social circle.

So I'll go a little Morpheus and just show you the door, leave it up to you whether you walk through. The more you say 'yes' to these, the more likely you'd be comfortable, but it's not like a 'yes' is even required for all of these. Nor is this comprehensive at all, of course.

- Is there an animal or species that you feel some sort of connection to- anywhere from just being 'a dog person' to strongly lining up with an animal's stereotypical cultural personification?

- Do you have an interest in fantasy/imagination, and in creating your own world to any extent?

- Do you have an interest or desire to role-play, to represent yourself as something other than or beyond your ordinary self?

- Do you like animated/illustrated aesthetics and styles? (Realistic furry art does exist, but generally if you're jonesing for photorealism you'd be disappointed.)

- Are you comfortable, or drawn towards, the unusual and culturally unexpected? (Asked both because being furry is 'weird' and because furries are generally weird.)

- Are you comfortable with a higher level of sexual openness and expression, regardless of orientation or form? And by higher I mean... pretty high at times.

- Do you not recoil in abject horror at the idea of being called a furry?

Ultimately, whether or not you decide to make a character and call yourself a furry is up to you. And, what you make of that addition to your identity is up to you. No one post, or even one person's perspective, is going to give a really complete picture of what being furry does or could mean. This is a horrid pun, but.... the rabbit hole does go pretty deep.

Mmm, I'm a turtle person xD That said, I think I've also got a knack for dragons.

I suppose you could say that I'm not very creative, but I quite like imagining things when I've got the time to goof off...

Heh. It's probably a strong desire to be different, no?

Either way, I don't really care, though I'd inch slightly, very slightly to the more realistic side.

That, I'm not sure about it.

I used to think like that, but these days, I'm indifferent.

You could say that I don't really have a character yet. xD

Alt option: don't take it seriously, and do what you want :)

(after taking the questionnaire :p)

Haha! I think sometimes I prefer doing things my own way.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If you like the intelligent beast ppl, that's all you really have to worry about it when it comes down to it. "Furry" is one particular subculture devoted to such things, but it's not the genre itself.

I would say one is as free to call themselves a furry as not, without that changing their basic interest. So yeah, doing things your own way is more than a valid option.

Boss Doggie

It's the first MMO that doesn't feel like an MMO at all.

Also the world is much better than Skyrim. :p

Added you both. Ookamikun.6472

EDIT: Hey Chip, I added you but nothing happens!

Boss Doggie

Charrs aren't hot

And even if players are from different servers they still pop in my friends list, so why wont you pop

It is not better than Skyrim.

It has more color than grey and white, so it's already better than skyrim

Boss Doggie

Also it has Black Citadel, Rata Sum, The Grove, and the like. Hell, the norn lodge is much better than any city in Skyrim :p

Uchip

Banned
Talking about the world.

theres certainly more to do in GW2 than Skyrim
the world is also larger and more diverse
sure it doesnt have the texture quality that skyrim does, but the animations are far better and the draw distance is great.
Skyrim has better dragons if that makes a difference.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
No, the dragons in Skyrim are awful.

Skyrim is better because the world makes sense. GW2 is just... whatever.

Green Knight killing people in the great tree and no one batting an eye.

Charr with these giant warmachines in their Death Star but you never see them in the field.

Norn being stupid stereotypical vikings. Their biographies are, if I recall correctly, drinking, fighting, and more drinking.

I'm talking about fucking worldbuilding, not vapid shit like graphics or textures.

Uchip

Banned
I'm talking about fucking worldbuilding, not vapid shit like graphics or textures.

no need to get angry
graphics being a vapid factor is laughable, especially when its the one thing holding skyrim together.

even funnier is the mention of worldbuilding. Skyrim still feels about as empty and uninspired that Oblivion did, with NPCs moving around with their Janky ass animations.
Elder Scrolls idea of Race differentiation is giving them different heads... Guild Wars races are all very unique in terms of both animation, appearance, story and home cities as opposed to skyrims basic stat differences
I already know you dont have the game, so that isnt conjecture you're posting, its just empty bias.

Boss Doggie

No, the dragons in Skyrim are awful.

Skyrim is better because the world makes sense. GW2 is just... whatever.

Green Knight killing people in the great tree and no one batting an eye.

Charr with these giant warmachines in their Death Star but you never see them in the field.

Norn being stupid stereotypical vikings. Their biographies are, if I recall correctly, drinking, fighting, and more drinking.

Charr has their hands full with ghost fighting. And you do see them, but only in story quests.

Norn is a mix of native American and nordic stereotypes. They're busy fighting Sons of Svanir.

All of them are united. That is good. It makes sense. It's not some shit like in Skyrim where everyone's a drunken ass Nord who plays up he man fantasies. GW2 races are smart, even the apparent dumb beast race.

Top Bottom