• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wich developer would do a Battle Royale videogame justice & would you buy it?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I always thought the subject matter of this Book/Manga was very controversial, but another part of me thinks that if the kids were older, then it would make a highly engaging survival strategy game with many different ways to try and "win". You could perhaps play all of the 40 different students who in turn have varying unique abilities and skills with everything from hunting and mechanics to diplomacy and leadership.

Would you want a BR game done by Telltale Games in the same style as their successful and highly engrossing "The Walking Dead" series, or something entirely different?

If handled responsibly, with a high level of maturity, I believe a developer could take on the Book without completely losing the importance of understanding how the children behaved was potentially a reflection of the society they lived in; Those who refused to kill vs. those who would do anything to stay alive including killing all of their classmates, and everyone in between.

Battle Royal? You mean Hunger Games?

But honestly I was thinking about a similar game concept as well.

I was thinking a game like Team Fortress 2. Where you actually BUY your character w/ real money and you can run through trials/practices to level up your character (plays like a classic team fighting game or survival.), get better loot ect. Then eventually at random people get selected to fight in an actual battle w/ multiple other characters chosen, where if your character dies (or doesnt show up) it gets deleted. And if you win, your character gets great loot ect. and that character wont ever be summoned to another duel.

It'd be real hardcore and no publisher would ever take up the challenge, but the idea of having a tournament where you actually have something at stake always intrigued me.

Which developer? Valve.
Would I buy it? Yes.

But in reality that won't happen. BR is just as much about the psychological drama/terror as the action/gore. Who did the Spec Ops game?

Although I haven't played it, from what I hear that DayZ game has a lot of elements seen in Battle Royale. You can be on your own or try to trust other people and form clans with other players. Death is death in that game which sounds appealing to me. But I also hear the game is a bit choppy, but great for a mod.

But there are those other elements of BR like bomb collars and danger zones that would be great gameplay elements. The only problem I see is, do you have a time limit to determine 1 winner(perhaps something like servers reset in a week, but then you run into problems of who plays the most or has time to play, etc.) or you just have endless mode like DayZ.

Suda-51. Battle Royale wasn't serious in my opinion, its a stylistically bloody and excessive thriller and seems to take influence from exploitation films. I think that sums up a few of, if not all of, Suda-51's games. I think we can all agree it would have to be a Japanese director. I don't trust Suda-51 with controls, however. Maybe team him up with the DayZ people, but that seems pretty unrealistic. (Never played DayZ so I don't know how the controls are for that game, but the gameplay mechanics sound great and game has a Battle Royale feel).

An online multiplayer battle royale type game? Somebody make it for heavens sakes! I can image matches that take days. Not sure how to do it right but damn.

EulaCapra

Capcom.

Just copy and paste the Power Stone 2 template and label it Battle Royale.

But then remove that label and relabel it Power Stone 3.

I've only seen the film (which I adore), but I'm not sure Battle Royale itself could be effectively adapted as a game.

But if you were to try something like that, I think jumping between characters (a la Siren) would be the best approach.

oh god oh god

I have to watch Battle Royale now.

I don't think that's in the film adaptation. But definitely watch it anyway.

Ironmask

story apart (the criticism versus the school system and society values in japan), if we're talking about the survival game itself we already have Day-Z.

Just remove the zombies, the overpowered weapons, the hacks, and add random common weapons, a time limit (a week pheraps) ,and the limit of having only one player alive at the end of this week.

No rpg-esque stats, perks, third person view can beat the challenge and perils of rivaling another human mind with no external perks added.

Soodes

Yeah it would need to be similiar to DayZ, people need to form groups make pacts and betray each other. That's the core elements, multiple seasons in a MMO'ish way would be the right way to do it. Just a bit hard with the timeline and activity

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Suda-51. Battle Royale wasn't serious in my opinion, its a stylistically bloody and excessive thriller and seems to take influence from exploitation films. I think that sums up a few of, if not all of, Suda-51's games. I think we can all agree it would have to be a Japanese director. I don't trust Suda-51 with controls, however. Maybe team him up with the DayZ people, but that seems pretty unrealistic. (Never played DayZ so I don't know how the controls are for that game, but the gameplay mechanics sound great and game has a Battle Royale feel).

I can't think of anyone more perfect than Suda-51. The game would need to have the right "feel" to it, would be more important than controls/gameplay... and Suda would be the one to nail this best. Definitely wouldn't give it to a western dev, they'd miss the point IMO.

I would concur with the opinion that DayZ is probably the closest we'll get to a good Battle Royale/Hunger Games type game in the foreseeable future.

Loona

Who did the Spec Ops game?

This. Online, players could choose to join games with different durations and arena sizes to scale, maybe have some special rules on what random items may be assigned on not, no hardcoded party system but some way to send private messages or small broadcasts.

If it were to be F2P, the monetization could consist on paying not to get something useless like the paper fan.

If Japanese actors/voice acting weren't such a necessity, I'd honestly say Rockstar - open-world dark satire is kind of their thing, and they've proven themselves with similar adaptation games like The Warriors. Maybe a dream-team collaboration between Rockstar and Kojipro, or something.

I think it could be really interesting, but it's require quite a system to work properly, imo. You could have it where you all start with the same equipment, but you can find things too. You can choose to kill or not kill when you find someone - obviously if you try to kill them, you risk being killed yourself. But if you don't, that's one more person alive between you and victory, as well as offering you less opportunity to collect supplies and weapons. Food and water could be a very real part of the problem. You could leave visible trails in grass and woodland (thus the 'quite a system' comment), but of course these could be used to your advantage. You could climb trees which could give you a good viewing platform and, if you have the right weapon, a decent place to snipe from, but also leaves you vulnerable should someone see you first. Night could be genuinely very dark. In buildings, doors could be locked. Locked doors could be busted open, but it'd be very loud. If it were single player, you could have a trust system - but would you ever trust anyone? Ditto online, a la DayZ, especially when you know at least one of you will die before the end of the game.

Top Bottom