• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Valve would do well in the console industry?

How do you feel Valve would do, in the console industry?

• Total voters

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
this is sort of a retread of a previous topic that got locked for being too fanboyish (rightfully so, i went too far)

but considering the current news and discussion i figure i'd bring it back up again.

People have been discussing the potential for a new third competitor in the console industry now that the MS leak has discussed plans of Xbox leaving if Gamepass subs don't increase.

And one option that i've been extremely partial to, is Valve.

Their hardware has been proven to be top notch, if the Steam Deck and Valve Index didn't prove that already. Only after 4 years of dominance would the index be dethroned by the PSVR2 as the best VR headset, and the Steam Deck is still the leader of the handheld PC space, with competitors such as the ROG Ally lacking in areas that the Deck succeeds in.

Their services and software are great too, Most of their games are industry defining masterpieces that pushed gaming forward, and even if they don't release games much now, they're guaranteed to be a banger when they do. Half Life Alyx is still the best VR game 4 years later. Speaking of, Valve also has their own VR headset and are planning to release another one in late 2023. It could provide competition for PSVR2 that'd put sony on their toes and make them want to go and support the platform better.

The software for the Steam Deck too, is well developed and extremely well optimized. The ability to choose your own custom control scheme, change the Hz the screen runs at, battery life, ETC. Steam OS in its current form is already more customizable and open than most console interfaces out there.
They could easily revive Steam Machines as a concept with all the development and maturity SteamOS and Linux has gotten, and they could make it a runaway success. The library of Steam at a console gamer's fingertips, mod capability thanks to being a PC in console clothing, frequent sales and cheaper games, and Valve's own exclusive games as a cherry on top of the sundae. All they'd need to do is to give it the advertisement and publicity it needs.

Not to mention the lower barrier for PC gaming. PC gaming has been through some dire times recently mostly thanks to Nvidia & AMD's terrible prices and terrible GPUs, and while it's still an amazing option for gaming, the price floor for even a decent 1080p 60hz experience on many of the newest games has been raised. A subsidized, small console box with just enough power as a mid-high end build like the PS5 and Xbox could breathe some life back into the platform and expose it to a greater audience, like how the Steam Deck did.

On the flipside, the digital only approach for many people is a major turnoff. Many people love the feeling of having a physical box, a collection to store in their house, and previous attempts at killing off physical media have been bad to say the least. Many people here especially will hold on to physical disks.
Valve makes great games when they release them. But the issue is that they don't do that much very more. And exclusives are quite important to a console's lifespan. HL3 and Portal 3 would be runaway successes, but the issue is that no one knows when or if they're coming out. That kind of uncertainty, Sony and Nintendo don't have with their upcoming games.

What do you guys think? Fighting chance? or is Apple a better choice?

Last edited:

Unknown?

Didn't they try with Steam Boxes? I say, give it another try! I'd like to see them bring something new to the table.

T4keD0wN

Consoles only exist to give people access to the software/game store. They are a stepping stone towards a final deliverable. No chance in hell for Valve, it makes no sense for them.

Why would they go through the insane amount of trouble and effort (not to mention the risk to their position of market leader in their current space and maybe even losing money on hardware) just to end up in a worse place than they are right now when Nvidia, Intel, AMD, Apple and OS vendors effectively do it for them already and at no cost to them?

Theyve lucked out and successfully skipped the worst step which is the hardware manufacturing and distribution.

Last edited:
Easier for Sony or Nintendo to enter the PC realm than it would be for Valve to enter the console realm.

But I still think people are ignoring Apple here. The ACU, Apple Console Universe has A LOT of potential that is completely untapped.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Easier for Sony or Nintendo to enter the PC realm than it would be for Valve to enter the console realm.

But I still think people are ignoring Apple here. The ACU, Apple Console Universe has A LOT of potential that is completely untapped.
make a thread about it then. I'd certainly like to hear your perspective

I think they could do quite well, actually. Last time they tried, it was really a half-baked effort. A real, professional approach would have massive appeal. In fact, if they did what MS was doing (multiple SKUs), it could be highly successful due to the immediate library

I'm sure Steam would make a solid console if Gabe Newell emerged from his dragon's hoard and whipped everyone at Valve into spending the next five years designing a console, as opposed to only working on updates for Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Absolutely not. Valve is not able to count to 3. They would go out of business after they release the second console.
No problem. Just call it "steam console Alyx" and move on with the business

Considering valve and their jokes, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried that actually.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
They just have put Steam Deck OS in, say 2 fixed hardware computers, and sell it as Steam Machines. This time around that would work wonders, the problem with their previous try was they were leaving to much freedom to partners, but if they close their hardware to one two SKUs max, it would work great as Steam Deck... you know, PC with console like experience and precompiled shaders

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
They just have put Steam Deck OS in, say 2 fixed hardware computers, and sell it as Steam Machines. This time around that would work wonders, the problem with their previous try was they were leaving to much freedom to partners, but if they close their hardware to one two considerations max, it would work great as Steam Deck... you know, PC with console like experience and precompiled shaders
yeah that's why i made this thread. A lot of people aren't too psyched on the high prices of GPUs. A decent NUC style PC with a subsidized price point and console style interface would help a lot, sort of a middle ground to the freedom of PC and the simplicity of console.

Holammer

The original Steam machine concept was a failure from the get-go back in 2014, it was a poorly thought out and premature response to MS attempt at walling up Windows 8. Now almost a decade later Valve did its homework, grew Steam's user base by an order of magnitude and released several types of hardware, VR, controllers, contributed coders and large sums on money to Linux development. Now they have their own SteamOS, recently a handheld console like device to go with it. Finally they have all the necessary know-how for hardware and software.

I could imagine Valve producing a Steam Deck in a console form factor being the next logical step. Not gonna lie and try not to fanboy, but such a device could be a market disruptor and a broadside against the walled garden systems, offering features none of the competitors could possibly do*. No developer mode, no jailbreaking required, you can install anything you want on the thing.

*maybe MS could do it, fuck it! Xbox is a regular Windows 11 machine now. Do what you want with it!

Shodai

A modular steam console where it just boots right into big screen would be a welcome addition and I'd be day 1, no question there. I think fixed hardware would be a mistake. That said, hooking up a PC to my living room television is not exactly a seamless experience for a number of reasons.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don’t see why they will want to do that with the various restrictions, unless it offer something drastic different and unique. The strength of Steam synergies with the open nature of PC, such as the ability to use Steam Input to mod controller setting, allowing various VR headsets to play VR games, and more.

If the Steam console functions like a Steam Deck with SteamOS, but in the form factor of a console and more powerful, maybe. But you can just buy or assemble a sff PC.

If they join consoles, Sony and Microsoft may view them as direct competitor and then not release their future games on Steam.

Better to stand by the sideline and benefit from the console war. Let Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft fight, while PC continue to increase its dominance quietly

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I'm not sure why they'd bother.

Also, for as streamlined as the Deck experience is, it's way more cumbersome than a console and the only real solution would be to limit the available library to games certified on the platform which in my mind is counter to what having a Steam account is all about.

Gojiira

With the glacial pace Valve release games, fuck no…The only way they would succeed is if they made a hybrid Steam Deck like the Switch for £500-600 with at least or better performance etc as the PS5

El Muerto

Console gamers cannot handle gaming on PCs. They are already having buying remorse after purchasing the Steam Deck and ROG Ally. My local Best Buy has a ton of open box ROG Allys for sale, and we're seeing refurbed Decks too. PC games require a bit more work to get working right, unless steam can impose default settings for their steam box, then it's a no go. They already tried and failed selling an overpriced and underpowered htpc box.

If they can bring steam to a cell phone. I think yes, they would do pretty good.
There is a bunch of talk that cell phones are going to have to have competing stores soon. I can see Steam on an apple device.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
My local Best Buy has a ton of open box ROG Allys for sale, and we're seeing refurbed Decks too.
which have been out of stock.

for 1 month straight.

VbF107E.png

Crayon

Like toe-to-toe with sony and nintendo as we all know consoles now? Idk if that is the right question.

Valve has been building a hardware-agnostic platform for a long time. They're at the point of breaking away from windows, even. So they are running their own store with their own backend tools on their own os. They can still make good hardware, but the are never going to try to make their hardware central. A steambox "console" would always just be an extension of steam itself.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No point. Valve is PC and hoards most of PC gaming. Diving into consoles would make them player #4. Not worth the hassle.

Also, what would they do? Port over all Valve games into a subsidized console box? Dont see Gabe doing that.

At most Gabe is itching for some dollars from the hardcore console market and ports over some more Valve games. The console only crowd gives them some sales with no effect to their PC gamer base.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Console hardware is merely about selling software and collecting platform holder fees. The goal of Microsoft, or Sony, or Nintendo selling console hardware is to, basically, make Steam. Why would Valve downgrade?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Console hardware is merely about selling software and collecting platform holder fees. The goal of Microsoft, or Sony, or Nintendo selling console hardware is to, basically, make Steam. Why would Valve downgrade?
The thinking is that Valve (who already controls PC) would want to beef up their coffers going after console gamer money too.

ZehDon

Gold Member
The thinking is that Valve (who already controls PC) would want to beef up their coffers going after console gamer money too.
Valve are a privately owned company. They're not beholden to the same "infinite growth" insanity publicly traded companies like Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo are. The sheer cost of loss-leading into the console business is incredibly prohibitive, and as we've seen, the market only supports one top dog. I'm not seeing anything worth the risk, given their dominant position with Steam.

Crayon

btw my galaxy brain theory -

The first steam machine launch was fake. Yes, just like the moon landing.

It was actually one of the few really shady things valve has done. They had a high concept for steam universe and had been working with linux and streaming and the controller. Then they announce steam machines. They let the narrative naturally snowball that this was a real console competitor. Then when they finally come out... they kinda don't. People hated it. People were mad at valve.

Valve took what they had been working on, made other companies put it all in a box, and threw it out to the wolves. Everybody hated it and I don't think gabe was surprised.Valve got what they wanted fast and cheap. Mountains of real world feedback. What players like, what they say, how the press handles it, how competitors handle it, and more. All real people and institutions with real reactions.

Ten years later the deck -fully formed- appears out of left field and somehow does everything right on the "first try". Why spend 10 years working towards this WITHOUT the benefit of everything you could learn by doing that initial fake launch? The steam machines launch was a deceptive stunt that intentionally misled a lot of people and was honestly a bit of a mindfuck.

LRKD

They probably could if they actually developed more games. I think the problem arises in that their core fanbase is already very pc, they wouldn't want to downgrade to a console. So they'd be selling to Xbox, PS, and Nintendo fans. If they started making big games again and released them on a Steam console they could pull in some numbers, but it probably wouldn't blow any of the other consoles out of the water. It'd likely take a couple gens for them to start pulling more and more users from the other install bases to a hypothetical Steam console, it'd be a long-term thing that I don't think steam would ever want to do.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Where the hell is the fourth option, OP? “Valve and Sega merge and release the Dreamcast 2”

Sleepwalker

They could but they are the kings of the bring your own device market. I dont think they have the means of scale to mass produce the millions of consoles required to compete with even xbox and theyd need to subsidize the hardware, all for what? Paid online and mtx?

Let them keep being the cool experimental company they are hardware wise.

Last edited:

Pejo

They probably could make a compelling product but that's not where their business is and I don't think GabeN has any real desire to do it. Maybe when he (please don't) retires, his son(s) will decide to pursue that angle. The only thing I can say is that I appreciate the work and money they've put into Linux gaming to give everyone a choice for OS that they're playing games on. Another console (whether Deck 2 or another Steambox) would further that initiative so I support it.

StereoVsn

Valve only has a few hundred people. They run a hugely successful PC storefront/platform and produce hardware that takes advantage of the said platform.

Why in the hell would they want to get into console business? They have been already working to improve Linux gaming annd can also supply that to other companies eventually. That would be a better approach.

yurinka

They already released console games (did ok) and consoles (failed). More recently released a handheld.

Last edited:

MayauMiao

They didn’t. You think it doesn’t matter that Steam OS runs games better on Steam Deck than a Windows handheld? We are talking about Windows executables.

When I mention Steam OS, I actually meant something like Steam Box/Machine. When that failed, they did it again with Steam Link hardware.

So I don't think Valve have the chops to compete the likes of Xbox, Playstation and Nintendo when it comes to console.

Once my Windows OS license is not supported anymore I'll try Steam OS.
Valve never abandoned Big Picture Mode even though Steam machines did not really interest anyone, and the current step are the Steam handhelds and the work done for that improves the Steam PC side as well. It might not get to 100% ever, emulating a different OS on a gajillion hw configurations is certainly much harder than any console emulator, but their progress is quite something.
Was about time that Linux actually gets some good compatibility work and not some half assed Wine shit. Linux guys while loving their system had no idea what they need to do do attract average Joes.
I would assume the Steamdeck is their foot in the door moment and they'll try again with steam machines.

Top Bottom