• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Thread - Now in HD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordanN

Banned
Bu Im a little worried about these possible next gen ports. Personally I think its possible without much worry, but Im not sure if the Wii story will repeat itself again.
If the Wii U doesn't get games, it wont be anything like what happened to the Wii.

Just consider Wii couldn't even do HD, which killed 100% of all HD collections and those simple arcady games. The Wii U doesn't have that problem.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Guys I know what the 1GB of OS RAM is for:
http://ca.ign.com/videos/2012/06/05/nintendo-wii-u-gamepad-hardware-trailer-e32012

at the 1:15 mark, the home button can be used to suspend a game to check for updates or connect with your friends!

lol whatever that means...maybe web surfing while game suspended confirmed?

I find that slightly offending that all this OS story, the system functions, etc are taken as "new" whereas we talked about that in February, since the WUST 2.

I'd be very surprised if they didn't have an evolved version of the Game Notes, Friends List, and take a Photo functions you can access when suspending a game on the 3DS.

I find that slightly offending that all this OS story, the system functions, etc are taken as "new" whereas we talked about that in February, since the WUST 2.

Not everyone has been reading the WUST threads there have been a lot of people just getting into wii u the last few weeks since e3 so don't take it personally as we are after all, just a bunch of words on the internet.

ALso has anyone confirmed the wattage of the Wii U power supply on those black units from the photos the other day?

Dicer

Banned
Following that path guaranteed that they weren't tied to one console manufacturer indefinitely.

The hardware upgrade system may be on its last legs, but it's the path third parties know and invested heavily in before the gen started. Nintendo, for better or for worse, wanted to change the rules of the game at the drop of a dime. There was bound to be resistance.

Also, the fact that Nintendo's image in the marketplace at the time as a marginal player cannot be ignored. Why would third parties all of a sudden hitch their wagon to Nintendo's horse? They have been a dwindling market presence ever since the N64. Surely the Wii's success, while phenomenal, will only be temporary. It's a fad.

You are a fad...along with all the other " Nintendo doomers" out there. I rolled my eyes so hard they got stuck in the back of my head for a moment...

OT: I love the secret way Nintendo does things,look at all the crazy discussion it causes...after all any press is good press. We have tons of speculation and I bet most everyone is off base. After the 13th it's gonna be funny to see the spin some posters put on their previous statements. As for dev costs and studio closing this last gen was horrible, and I am sure some studios could have stayed afloat doing smaller lower cost projects. The game industry wants to be the movie industry and it just simply cant afford to be, nor should it really want to be.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
Not everyone has been reading the WUST threads there have been a lot of people just getting into wii u the last few weeks since e3 so don't take it personally as we are after all, just a bunch of words on the internet.

ALso has anyone confirmed the wattage of the Wii U power supply on those black units from the photos the other day?

No it's not a matter of taking it personally, more "ok we debated about that for 500 pages for nothing" :)

Yeah Nintendo's secrecy is both a blessing and a curse. I totally understand why they keep their cards so close, I just wish for selfish reasons they didn't sometimes.

wsippel

Banned
I think you guys should be focusing on the Suspend Mode rather than OS RAM footprint.
Suspending applications in this context doesn't work that way. The game occupies the same memory area and space no matter if it's suspended or not, it doesn't suddenly require more memory or is going to be copied to some other area when you access the OS. "Suspending" a game is the same as hitting alt+tab on a PC.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
But how much RAM is necessary to see improvements on next-gen games? Is 1gb enough (realistic approach)?

It depends on what you mean next gen games. If you mean multi platform games that are coming out for the current HD twins then the extra ram is going to be very useful. Better textures. Less disk streaming. One developer even stated that they managed to load the whole level straight into memory so there was no need to access the disk.

If you're talking about games that are going to come out for Xbox720/PS4. The no chance. WiiU has a relatively slow process. The processors in PS720 are going to be beasts. No amount of extra memory is going to help that.

Stewox

Banned
Don't forget the relation between RAM and mass storage and IO, though. It's all about balance. You'll rarely use more than 1GB at any given time, a ton of RAM is just used for caching. The faster the IO and mass storage subsystem, the less cache you need.

This is exactly why I am dissapointed with the choice of USB 2.0 over 3.0

IDTech5 requires lots of RAM for cache because storage and optical media is too slow for that technology as well as unique texture datasets will make game sizes to increase significantly.

Rage is 21 GB and severely compressed as well as not GFX rich at all ... the developer build is about 150 GB ~ depending the accuracy of carmack's talks.

Expect Doom 4 to be twice as large as Rage shipped at minimum. PC will probably get extra quality over consoles in form of streaming or dl pack.

EDRAM doesn't help much with loading textures ... its just for framebuffer stuff

This may be regrettable by nintendo. Such a cheap choice that can make future games with similar tech to be watered down considerably.

Am I the only gaffer who is sick and tired of hearing Wii-U tech talk?

No, you're not. Unfortunately, until Mario/Retro's game is shown, it's all people want to/can talk about since we've talked about all the interesting Wii U games to death. Bring on the 13th and vague hopes of new games/media!

I am not necessarily against it but now whenever I see it, this is what I picture is happening

2rCfI.jpg

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
No, you're not. Unfortunately, until Mario/Retro's game is shown, it's all people want to/can talk about since we've talked about all the interesting Wii U games to death. Bring on the 13th and vague hopes of new games/media!

I'm sorry but i disagree.

We haven't talked "to death" of the awesome potential of Wii U panorama view for food, imagine having morsels of a giant pizza displayed on the gamepad, or a virtual buffet room surrounding you, and that you would explore through this window.

Stewox

Banned
Suspending applications in this context doesn't work that way. The game occupies the same memory area and space no matter if it's suspended or not, it doesn't suddenly require more memory or is going to be copied to some other area when you access the OS. "Suspending" a game is the same as hitting alt+tab on a PC.

Yes, do you understand where I'm going...

What will you do once you're "alt-tabbed out" if you have practically no memory left ... the game is taking all of it - for this case scenario.

Also I may forgot to note better that i was not explaining how nintendos suspend works, I was talking about how i would develop it to work, its an idea similar to how hibernation works on windows.
Now that you know this, read that post again if necessary, it's also recommended to know how windows hibernation works, thats very basic common tech knowledge so i thought it was obvious.

I am not necessarily against it but now whenever I see it, this is what I picture is happening

2rCfI.jpg

So, basically what you're saying, is that there's an Insible Obama VS Non-Specific Action Figure game in the works by EAD Tokyo 1?

ShockingAlberto confirmed!

I'm sorry but i disagree.

We haven't talked "to death" of the awesome potential of Wii U panorama view for food, imagine having morsels of a giant pizza displayed on the gamepad, or a virtual buffet room surrounding you, and that you would explore through this window.

Touche, good sir, touche.

I'm surprised how many people apparently know what they're talking about when it comes to this. I personally really don't give a shit about any of it, I'm also no high-end PC gamer or anything. But it's not like Nintendo has shown too much to talk about.

wsippel

Banned
Yes, do you understand where I'm going...

What will you do once you're "alt-tabbed out" if you have practically no memory left ... the game is taking all of it - for this case scenario.
That's what the reserved memory is for. But that's also what I don't quite understand about the huge amount of OS supposedly reserved for the OS: Nothing we've seen should require more than a couple dozen MB. I see no point whatsoever in reserving hundreds of MB. So that part is either bullshit, or the system only has ~1.1GB in total, or most of the reserved space is actually used for games after all, but can't be directly accessed as RAM (drive cache, ramdisks or whatever).

Penguin

I've been sick of it for like a year now
One of the reasons I was disappointed at Nintendo's e3 showing, I figured they'd give us enough to talk about outside of the sepcs, but here we are 2 months later

A problem I've noticed with the 3DS is that no one (Nintendo or otherwise) has come out with anything substantially new, just sequels to successful DS titles. I feel like by this time in the DS's lifespan, I'd played a ton of quirky, innovative stuff I'd never seen anywhere else (Feel the Magic, Trauma Center, Ace Attorney, Nintendogs, Brain Age, etc) whereas there's relatively none of that on 3DS outside of eShop.

Wii was the same way, it really hooked me early with all the new things (these were tad worse than the DS games but still unique at the time) like Elebits, Wii Sports, and Raving Rabbids. I guess Wii U has ZombiU, P-100, and Nintendoland, but I'm worried that won't be enough "new" to excite the masses the same way DS and Wii did.

nikatapi

Does anyone think that Nintendo will reveal more info for games coming in 2013? So far we only know about games coming during the launch window, but it would be interesting to see some more first party games, in order to know what to expect from a graphical standpoint but also from different uses of the WiiU gamepad.

Nintendo is always talking about the innovation of the new gamepad, but imo has failed to demonstrate this innovation with first party games. So far, only Ubisoft seems to push for games which utilize the gamepad in a meaningful way.

In theory, the whole concept seems very interesting to me, but i believe that Nintendo has to communicate their vision and the potential of the console.
Unless their vision is to get 1year late ports with some gimmicky implementation of the gamepad (yes, i'm talking about the Batman game).

With the Wii, the potential was clear from the beginning. Now, not so much, at least for me.

NBtoaster

Trine 2 comes with extra content, including a multiplayer mode, along with the new Goblin Menace DLC. The price is fair imo.

Extra content can make up for a wait, but it's not common to have extra content, a wait, and cost more than it originally did.

Though it makes sense because its online only and the other versions probably wont receive a price drop.

That's what the reserved memory is for. But that's also what I don't quite understand about the huge amount of OS supposedly reserved for the OS: Nothing we've seen should require more than a couple dozen MB. I see no point whatsoever in reserving hundreds of MB. So that part is either bullshit, or the system only has ~1.1GB in total, or most of the reserved space is actually used for games after all, but can't be directly accessed as RAM (drive cache, ramdisks or whatever).

On the vgleak document, it also stated that the Wii U has: 512MB SLC NAND for System. Is that also a relatively big chunk of memory for mainly the OS alone? What else would/should typically be stored in that memory location?

I like tech talk because I don't know that much about it, but I like learning. For anyone who gets stuck though, just ask Cyberhater; this guy knows his stuff.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Glad I'm the not the only one. What's sad is that the rest of this year will still be filled with Wii-U tech talk, even after Sept. 13th and launch. In fact, it will linger in most gaming conversations for at least a year after 720 & PS4 launch. :/

Glad I'm the not the only one. What's sad is that the rest of this year will still be filled with Wii-U tech talk, even after Sept. 13th and launch. In fact, it will linger in most gaming conversations for at least a year after 720 & PS4 launch. :/

Dude, we will never know the full extent of what the WiiU can and can't do, what Nintendo can squeeze out of it. 3DS tech talk is still abundant. We won't stop hearing tech talk, ever.

Though it makes sense because its online only and the other versions probably wont receive a price drop.

Trine 2 was in the Steam summer sale for $4.

I'm sure they'll be able to get away with whatever they charge for it on Wii U though, as it is a really good game, and I'm sure it'll be at the top of many Wii U-only owners' lists once the inevitable post-launch drought kicks in.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

It's never going to stop. Ever.

Stewox

Banned
On the vgleak document, it also stated that the Wii U has: 512MB SLC NAND for System. Is that also a relatively big chunk of memory for mainly the OS alone? What else would/should typically be stored in that memory location?

Yes ...

I think theres some mixup with terms as well as understanding of what i meant ... the confusion !

We dont have the same thing pictured in mind ... i think of doing a visual chart to explain this once and for all.

Skiesofwonder

Dude, we will never know the full extent of what the WiiU can and can't do, what Nintendo can squeeze out of it. 3DS tech talk is still abundant. We won't stop hearing tech talk, ever.

Huh, I was just wishing that the console race was more like the handheld race because (after launch) we don't really hear much tech-talk on those fronts because it doesn't really matter. I very rarely see people jumping into third party 3DS release threads and start complaining about graphics and whatnot, which is nice. Wii unfourtantely still had that in abundance even during Skyward Sword's release, but that had more to do with HD/SD.

It's never going to stop. Ever.

Obviously Wii-U tech will always be discussed, but I'm talking about when it won't be one of the MAJOR conversations involving the system.

Who gives a toss about the 3DS's capabilities these days? The only reason it was such a hot topic was because, much like the Wii U, there were certain people pushing the notion that new iterations of the devkits were miles better than the launch games showed, and that once we saw games which used the full potential of the hardware, we'd all be blown away. Nowadays, I think even the most ardent fans have accepted that the 3DS is what it is, and it wasn't ever intended to be a technical powerhouse.

Penguin

We still have discussion on the Wii tech and how it effected the generation...

So I think 2 years is being generous...

Skiesofwonder

We still have discussion on the Wii tech and how it effected the generation...

So I think 2 years is being generous...

Addressed above:

skiesofwonder said:
Obviously Wii-U tech will always be discussed, but I'm talking about when it won't be one of the MAJOR conversations involving the system.

But agreed.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
A problem I've noticed with the 3DS is that no one (Nintendo or otherwise) has come out with anything substantially new, just sequels to successful DS titles. I feel like by this time in the DS's lifespan, I'd played a ton of quirky, innovative stuff I'd never seen anywhere else (Feel the Magic, Trauma Center, Ace Attorney, Nintendogs, Brain Age, etc) whereas there's relatively none of that on 3DS outside of eShop.

Wii was the same way, it really hooked me early with all the new things (these were tad worse than the DS games but still unique at the time) like Elebits, Wii Sports, and Raving Rabbids. I guess Wii U has ZombiU, P-100, and Nintendoland, but I'm worried that won't be enough "new" to excite the masses the same way DS and Wii did.

Well, on exception to this is Kid Icarus, which is very original and full of ideas; while it uses an established character, it is basically a reboot of the entire premise and creates a fully fleshed out universe. It also has original play mechanics.

However, the portable scene could be suffering from the same general malaise as the entire industry, that is true I think. There are not a lot of chances being take on entirely new IP and/or unusual and inventive ideas. There are a few games to watch out for on 3DS like Code of Princess from Atlus.

totowhoa

Banned
Do we know what time nintendo direct is? It's on my birthday so I'm going to try to plan around it unless its in the middle of the night for me.

cyberheater

I'm not so sure. When there are multiplatform games. There's going to be a lot of talk comparing the minute differences between the three.

Well, on exception to this is Kid Icarus, which is very original and full of ideas; while it uses an established character, it is basically a reboot of the entire premise and creates a fully fleshed out universe. It also has original play mechanics.

However, the portable scene could be suffering from the same general malaise as the entire industry, that is true I think. There are not a lot of chances being take on entirely new IP and/or unusual and inventive ideas. There are a few games to watch out for on 3DS like Code of Princess from Atlus.

How in the world did I forget Kid Icarus (one of my top 10 favorite games of all time)?! Also Theatrhythm too I guess. But those are drops in the bucket compared to what the DS ushered in.

Stewox

Banned
In the meantime someone (who is sure he knows tech) should find sources on web how exactly 3DS Suspend Mode works with detailed info explanation.

It is not necessary that the feature will work the same way in system, whatever they call on the outside is only a meaningless user-friendly term.

ozfunghi

February 1985, right?

Maybe not. So? Don't read it or participate in it. There has been plenty of game talk, plenty of boxart talk, there have even been pages filled with Pachter talk. I also don't find everything equally interesting, but i don't cry about it. The tech talk is exciting now, because it's like playing a puzzle or detective game. Once we know what's inside, talk will be 90% about games. Look at the 3DS... it had the same tech driven threads between the Pica revela(i)tion, Resident Evil demo and launch. Now, nobody talks about it anymore.

Mondriaan

What bothers me more than anything about the hardware/tech itself is the lack of official word on whether or not the system is region locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom