• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Switch's Success completely vindicates the Wii's Legacy

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The Wii is an excellent console, I truly don't understand the hate. If you don't like waggle, there's plenty of other incredible games to play on there. The IR-based aiming was an absolutely phenomenal way to interact with games and GUIs, too. Blows my mind that, more than a decade later, people still seem to hate on it.

The Switch absolutely shares some DNA from the Wii, but it's balanced far more towards the general gaming audience. Still, I don't want to live in a world without the Wii. If Nintendo had just made the GameCube 2, this entire industry would be faaaar less interesting.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Give me a break. Switch’s success has everything to do with it being a portable system with a killer lineup of games, and nothing to do with Joycon motion control gimmicks. What a load of bullshit.

And LOL that some of you feel like Wii still needs to be “vindicated” decades later. Yeah guys, we can finally bestow Wii with the honor that it has been denied. Hope you find a sense of closure.

Last edited:

Celine

I'm still of the mind we overvalue the units sold of the Switch since it represents both the handheld and home console market segments for them. Consolidated, I'm not quite as impressed because it merges their target demographics and those who would have purchased both platforms now don't have to.

Contextualize: Nintendo moved 160m 3DS units and roughly 90-100m Wii units simultaneously and murdered their own GBA (which still had years to go). And they did this betting on novelty, gimmick offerings (motion controls and 3D). That was truly the golden era for sales.
You need to consider the Switch consolidation with the perspective of the raising development costs.
The Switch era might sell 95M pieces of hardware less than the DS/Wii era and around 300-400M less pieces of software (excluding the digital only games, of which NSW trumps the Wii/DS) but first-party sales will be very close to the combined DS+WII and overall the Switch era is already far more profitable than the DS/Wii era.

6sco0T0.jpg

Reactions: KU_

Kataploom

Gold Member
Give me a break. Switch’s success has everything to do with it being a portable system with a killer lineup of games, and nothing to do with Joycon motion control gimmicks. What a load of bullshit.

And LOL that some of you feel like Wii still needs to be “vindicated” decades later. Yeah guys, we can finally bestow Wii with the honor that it has been denied. Hope you find a sense of closure.
Joycon motion controls has to do with it too tho, if it didn't have it, many wouldn't opt for Switch versions of some games just for the gyro aiming and Just Dance is pretty big on it so even if it's not the end all be all of the system, it clearly gives it an advantage for certain audiences.

You need to consider the Switch consolidation with the perspective of the raising development costs.
The Switch era might sell 95M pieces of hardware less than the DS/Wii era and around 300-400M less pieces of software (excluding the digital only games, of which NSW trumps the Wii/DS) but first-party sales will be very close to the combined DS+WII and overall the Switch era is already far more profitable than the DS/Wii era.

6sco0T0.jpg
All fair counters. I'm just a sucker for the raw units moved, albeit Nintendo - admittedly - purposefully tanked their profit margins to get 3DS units off store shelves after their abysmal launch.

Astral Dog

The Switch and the Wii are fundamentally different, the Switch is a core gamer focused console ,its main gimmick is something that appeals to both hardcore gamers and casuals, it doesn't have anything to do with power but for what it is Switch was more advanced for being a portable

Its true though that the Switch retains some of the appeal that made the Wii so successful,you can see it in their games both main series and minigame collections,but the motion control is not the main focus

And yes,the Wii was a successful console and at the time, it made sense for Nintendo to go in that direction instead of being a copy of the competition
They just didn't realized appealing mainly to casuals was not a good longterm strategy

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
I know you want to pretend the Lite doesn’t exist but it does, sorry. It’s okay that the Switch is a portable system with TV out, doesn’t make it less impressive, actually more so.
lite is a version of Nintendo Switch, Nintendo Switch is a hybrid.

Arguing against this makes no sense, but feel free to go in circles.

I'd say the Switch vindicates the WiiU legacy.

Switch at launch was kept afloat with WiiU titles and Switch accomplished what many people wanted in the WiiU, a fully portable home console.

Wii's legacy is shovelware and poor controls.
Agreed. Wii hasn't aged well. GameCube has aged like fine wine. I think Switch will too. Clearly a lot of franchises that were born or found success on GameCube despite the tiny install based have gone on to become some of Nintendo's biggest franchises. It got overshadowed by PS2 during it's life, and it was usurped by Wii because of the flashy motion controls and Wii Sports and that whole gimmick phase that lasted 3-4 years, but GameCube software cintinues to be extremely sought after and seems to become more popular as time goes on. Wii was popular only with the fickle casual crowd. And that crowd has no brand loyalty or staying power. I think Nintendo understand that pretty well now! They got burned hard in the transition to Wii U thinking they could convince the non-core Wii crowd to buy another system for the same experience.

Last edited:

You say it better than I ever could. I agree the thesis the OP is using is not true and not anything to do with the Wii.

Hybrid is just a marketing term, can you tell me what makes the Lite a "hybrid" system?
The Lite model isn't hybrid. But the Switch platform is overall. The Lite exists if you don't care to ever have the ability to make use of the hybrid nature of the device that makes up 90% of the userbase.

Does that make sense? I assume you already know the answer, you just are enjoying this too much to stop.

And Nintendo has always marketed Switch first and foremost as a home console *that you can take with you on the go*. Over time they've just come around to using the term 'hybrid', but for the first part of it's life and especially leading up to release they resisted ever using that terminology.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Joycon motion controls has to do with it too tho, if it didn't have it, many wouldn't opt for Switch versions of some games just for the gyro aiming and Just Dance is pretty big on it so even if it's not the end all be all of the system, it clearly gives it an advantage for certain audiences.
How much difference do you think it would’ve made in sales if Switch had no IR/gyro functionality? I doubt it would even make 1% difference.

Certainly nothing like the Wii, where the motion controls are what made it a massive casual gaming hit and cultural phenomenon instead of GameCube 1.5

Trying to lump these into the same category and saying Switch “vindicated” Wii is just preposterous. That’s something a butthurt Nintendo fanboy would say because they’re still stewing in anger over some mean comments about Wii from ages past.

What made a big difference between the Switch and Wii is that while both consoles were underpowered compared to their peers, the Switch used modern hardware and was compatible with all the same standards as the Xbox One and PS4. On the other hand, the Wii was a completely different beast compared to the Xbox 360 and PS3. It had more in common with a PS2 and GameCube.

True. Also it’s just the way engines are now. Is everything is scalable. It’s why you can play Fortnite on mobile or Series X and have basically the same experience. But more than that, porting between systems is very little work compared to for example converting a Wii game to 3DS or a 3DS game to Switch. Completely different architectures and tons of work and having to rebuild the games, similar to the work involved in making a new game. Which is why Nintendo has been building towards a consolidated hybrid system since 2014, is to not have to deal with constantly needing to do expensive ports and covert games over.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Wii doesn't need vindication. Great system, great games, great success and just like Switch was THE console to have as combo with PC while ignoring the others.

If anything it was more the precursor to VR consoles & systems (which will take a long time to reach its success) than the Switch with active immersing gameplay.

The biggest mistake was not making a Wii 2 with more power and better tracking as that would probably be even closer to VR-but-not and sell way more than U.

Last edited:
Reactions: KU_

L*][*N*K

Banned
You should have asked ChatGPT how to win an indefensible internet argument, it would have told you to give up before making a fool of yourself, but here we are.
You asked a question I answered in multiple ways, you sir are a bone head.

Kilau

The Lite model isn't hybrid. But the Switch platform is overall. The Lite exists if you don't care to ever have the ability to make use of the hybrid nature of the device that makes up 90% of the userbase.

Does that make sense? I assume you already know the answer, you just are enjoying this too much to stop.

And Nintendo has always marketed Switch first and foremost as a home console *that you can take with you on the go*. Over time they've just come around to using the term 'hybrid', but for the first part of it's life and especially leading up to release they resisted ever using that terminology.
It's true that I understand fully but I don't accept any of the marketing whether it's from Nintendo or big fee-fee fanboys like L*][*N*K L*][*N*K

zeldaring

Banned
LOL what are these big games selling cause of joycon motion controls? who the hell is opting for the switch version of games?

Kataploom

Gold Member
LOL what are these big games selling cause of joycon motion controls? who the hell is opting for the switch version of games?
There only game that sells gangbusters because of motion controls is Just Dance, but I've seen people even here in GAF claiming they prefer switch version of games due to gyro aiming. I'm fact, Switch alone seemed to popularize the gyro aiming in modern PC scene and that's why many use it there, Steam Controller is a great tool that many have used to simulate mouse movement with Pro Controller or Dual Shock/Sense.

I'm not saying Switch sells because of it mostly, but for some people it's very important to the point they move the thing outside... I wouldn't be surprised if the trend of PC players making gyro aiming was what made Microsoft add gyro to their future controller.

zeldaring

Banned
There only game that sells gangbusters because of motion controls is Just Dance, but I've seen people even here in GAF claiming they prefer switch version of games due to gyro aiming. I'm fact, Switch alone seemed to popularize the gyro aiming in modern PC scene and that's why many use it there, Steam Controller is a great tool that many have used to simulate mouse movement with Pro Controller or Dual Shock/Sense.

I'm not saying Switch sells because of it mostly, but for some people it's very important to the point they move the thing outside... I wouldn't be surprised if the trend of PC players making gyro aiming was what made Microsoft add gyro to their future controller.
Ok seems like a very insignificant reason why switch is successful.

It's true that I understand fully but I don't accept any of the marketing whether it's from Nintendo or big fee-fee fanboys like L*][*N*K L*][*N*K

You asked what made the Lite hybrid. Regardless of anything, Switch is a hybrid system. The Lite is intentionally not a hybrid to make a cheaper version for those that don’t want a hybrid.

We can keep going in circles, but it’s not marketing to state a fact on its face. Switch is hybrid. And yes, you asked about the Lite, and yes it is an exception.

I don’t know what else there is to talk about, man 🤷‍♂️

Belthazar

Not really, on the contrary. It basically cemented that the underpowered/outdated approach to hardware just didn't work for home consoles, which caused Nintendo to almost abandon that part of their business model, integrating the home console functionality into their next handheld system.

They simply gave up on a market they haven't been consistently successful (out of their dedicated home consoles they only had 3 successes out of 6).

Kilau

You asked what made the Lite hybrid. Regardless of anything, Switch is a hybrid system. The Lite is intentionally not a hybrid to make a cheaper version for those that don’t want a hybrid.

We can keep going in circles, but it’s not marketing to state a fact on its face. Switch is hybrid. And yes, you asked about the Lite, and yes it is an exception.

There is nothing to talk about. Hybrid is just marketing for portable with TV out. I'm not sure why the discussion around it has been so contentious since its launch.

The Wii is an excellent console, I truly don't understand the hate.
the wii sucks. always has, always will.

just an overclocked gamecube with a new controller blah blah blah
want the new controller? congrats, you get the buy another gamecube.

the wii library is full of shovelware.
ps1 library may be the only one with more shovelware.

super mario galaxy was pretty good, metroid prime 3 was decent, but thats about it (havent played the zeldas).
weak smash bros, mario party 8 was an embarrassment, lame mario kart, etc.

wii u is cooler than the wii.

zeldaring

Banned
the wii sucks. always has, always will.

just an overclocked gamecube with a new controller blah blah blah
want the new controller? congrats, you get the buy another gamecube.

the wii library is full of shovelware.
ps1 library may be the only one with more shovelware.

super mario galaxy was pretty good, metroid prime 3 was decent, but thats about it (havent played the zeldas).
weak smash bros, mario party 8 was an embarrassment, lame mario kart, etc.

wii u is cooler than the wii.
yea it was a shameful console. imagine what gen would have been like if wii even had half the power of a 360. how can anyone defend such a backward moving console, but i guess i know how lol

Marvel14

Banned
So the Nintendo Switch has now sold 129 million units worldwide, making it Nintendo's most successful home console, their second best selling handheld system, and the third best selling gaming platform of all time.

A large part of its success is thanks to its unique hybrid gimmick of taking your console on the go, its variety of controller and local multiplayer features, as well as its massive game library.

But I think its success also vindicates the direction Nintendo took with its second best selling home console, the Wii. The Wii was Nintendo's most successful home console prior to the Switch. But by the end of its life, it was derided by the corporate media and "hardcore" gaming circles for its under-powered hardware compared to the other systems, focus on motion controls, and image of being a "casual" gaming console with nothing but shovelware. The failure of its direct successor, the Wii U, only added fuel to the sentiment that Nintendo needed to create a 'real' gaming console as powerful as its competitors, with just a regular controller.

So what did Nintendo do?... Make another comparatively under-powered console who's main controller is essentially a Wii Remote successor. Yet, it ended up being even more successful than the Wii was.

While you can make plenty of criticism for how Nintendo handled the last few years of the Wii, the fact that the Switch was able to be such a hit by going in the exact opposite direction from what the media wanted (Powerful console, Standard controller, 1:1 third party parity) proves that gaming journalists have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.
The Wii's failure to anticipate HD directly led to the Wii U debacle, where Nintendo had fallen so far behind technically that they were unable to release software at a decent pace . The Wii U became Nintendo's biggest ever hardware failure (for a primary console). The other big critique of the Wii is its price point. It was way too cheap, as evidenced by the shortages and scalping. And they didn't get the form factor right from the getgo, hence we got Wii Motion plus later on. Better innards and better accelerometer technology from the start would have made the Wii a juggernaut that could have kept going to 10 years. We could have gone from Wii straight to Switch.

The Switch's success has more to do with the Wii U's failure and the integration of handheld and home console form factors than the Wii's success. You could say that the Wii's success directly led to the failure of the Wii U.. so it did play a role in inspiring the Switch, but not the positive one the OP is arguing for.

None of the top Switch games sold use the Wii mote's motion controls, so where is the Switch inspired by the Wii?

Still I agree that gaming journalists can be just as clueless as the general public. Rating the Switch 7/10 has proved to be a laughably negative assessment of one of the greatest consoles of all time....

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

The Wii's failure to anticipate HD directly led to the Wii U debacle, where Nintendo had fallen so far behind technically that they were unable to release software at a decent pace .
I actually do agree with this. Not going with HD was the right call at the launch of the Wii, because of how expensive the technology was at the time. But the moment HDTVs and development started coming down in costs was when they should've started getting into that market. A Wii HD with Wii Sports Resort and motion plus packed in should've been something that existed in 2009. And heavily marketing games that support HD should've been a priority.

It was way too cheap, as evidenced by the shortages and scalping. And they didn't get the form factor right from the getgo, hence we got Wii Motion plus later on. Better innards and better accelerometer technology from the start would have made the Wii a juggernaut that could have kept going to 10 years. We could have gone from Wii straight to Switch.
Again, it came down to costs. The Wii Remote on it's own was fine for the time. But I feel like Nintendo should've been more aggressive in marketing Motion plus, especially for more "core" games that used it. I also think they should've leaned into the vast array of controller options for the Wii more, and heavily marketed and supported the classic controller for games that worked better with traditional inputs.
None of the top Switch games sold use the Wii mote's motion controls, so where is the Switch inspired by the Wii?
Well the Joy-Con as I said, owe a lot to the Wii Remote. And some of the best selling Switch games heavily use motion. But I think the Switch's success has a lot to do with the vast array of control options is has standard, including motion.

I think the frustrating thing about the Wii was that Nintendo didn't capitalize on it's success they way they should've. They coasted too much that they let the hardware stagnate.

I say the Switch vindicates the Wii because it shows that Nintendo's decision with the Blue-Ocean strategy was the right one. But they didn't use the pieces they had effectively in it's later years.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Lmao, some butt hurt gamers are still mad Nintendo didn't cater to their tastes all these years later and was still very successful. Let's stop the mental gymnastics and accept Nintendo understand more about how to do console business than you sorry ass 20 years ago.

It's like thinking a girl can't be a good wife for someone else because she was a bad girlfriend when she was with you.

About the hybrid debate, let me say this: handheld games don't cost fucking 70 dollars.

Astral Dog

Lmao, some butt hurt gamers are still mad Nintendo didn't cater to their tastes all these years later and was still very successful. Let's stop the mental gymnastics and accept Nintendo understand more about how to do console business than you sorry ass 20 years ago.

It's like thinking a girl can't be a good wife for someone else because she was a bad girlfriend when she was with you.

About the hybrid debate, let me say this: handheld games don't cost fucking 70 dollars.
yep the Switch is a portable console, the games don't need to be cheaper since they justify their price by their quality and demand, Switch 2 will be on a visual level compared to modern consoles(even with lower settings )

Even if i would prefer they didn't raise the price anybmore 🤭they need to or they will be eat by inflation

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm just waiting to see what they do with the next console. Will they snatch defeat from the jaws of victory?

So the Nintendo Switch has now sold 129 million units worldwide, making it Nintendo's most successful home console, their second best selling handheld system, and the third best selling gaming platform of all time.

A large part of its success is thanks to its unique hybrid gimmick of taking your console on the go, its variety of controller and local multiplayer features, as well as its massive game library.

But I think its success also vindicates the direction Nintendo took with its second best selling home console, the Wii. The Wii was Nintendo's most successful home console prior to the Switch. But by the end of its life, it was derided by the corporate media and "hardcore" gaming circles for its under-powered hardware compared to the other systems, focus on motion controls, and image of being a "casual" gaming console with nothing but shovelware. The failure of its direct successor, the Wii U, only added fuel to the sentiment that Nintendo needed to create a 'real' gaming console as powerful as its competitors, with just a regular controller.

So what did Nintendo do?... Make another comparatively under-powered console who's main controller is essentially a Wii Remote successor. Yet, it ended up being even more successful than the Wii was.

While you can make plenty of criticism for how Nintendo handled the last few years of the Wii, the fact that the Switch was able to be such a hit by going in the exact opposite direction from what the media wanted (Powerful console, Standard controller, 1:1 third party parity) proves that gaming journalists have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.
Interesting TheMrManGuy…

L*][*N*K

Banned

You are trying to use logic with someone who is only here to argue, if the concept of “Hybrid” console is something that he is still struggling with maybe we should revisit this discussion when he graduates to the big boy potty?

Alan Wake

"Failure is not the opposite of success, it's part of it".

Switch came to be partly thanks to what Nintendo learned from the Wii U. It wasn't completely wasted.

Marvel14

Banned
Hilarious to see the "it's not a home console" gang back together again to relive old times. They're convinced that if we pretend it's just a handheld then we can't legitimately compare Switch's sales success to that of other home consoles.

It's a bit like being a flat earther, you create an alternative narrative and claim it's factual, ignore all evidence that destroys your opinion and put up incomplete half facts to bolster your position (think gradual curvature of the earth that can't be easily perceived by the naked eye for the dock and pro controller (just add ons not the console itself) and the Switch lite for the antarctic as the outer boundary of the flat disc- the incontrovertible "fact" that your detractors.cant argue against).

Welcome back lads!

Last edited:

zeldaring

Banned
Hilarious to see the "it's not a home console" gang back together again to relive old times. They're convinced that if we pretend it's just a handheld then we can't legitimately compare Switch's sales success to that of other home consoles.

It's a bit like being a flat earther, you create an alternative narrative and claim it's factual, ignore all evidence that destroys your opinion and put up incomplete half facts to bolster your position (think gradual curvature of the earth that can't be easily perceived by the naked eye for the dock and pro controller (just add ons not the console itself) and the Switch lite for the antarctic as the outer boundary of the flat disc- the incontrovertible "fact" that your detractors.cant argue against).

Welcome back lads!
Comparing people calling the Switch a handheld that can be connected to a TV1 flat earther is beyond dumb. Would the experience change if the Switch was handheld that could be connected to a TV with hdmi and a small Stand with a pro controller? Are the Steam and rog rally home consoles as well? Nothing about the switch is really designed to make it a appealing home console and the whole design is mainly focused on being a mobile device.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Comparing people calling the Switch a handheld that can be connected to a TV1 flat earther is beyond dumb. Would the experience change if the Switch was handheld that could be connected to a TV with hdmi and a small Stand with a pro controller? Are the Steam and rog rally home consoles as well? Nothing about the switch is really designed to make it a appealing home console and the whole design is mainly focused on being a mobile device.
Welcome back! Look at the Switch reveal ad. Does it show people sitting on their couch playing Switch on their big screens? Does it start that way? Why would a company reveal its product with a form factor that "isn't really designed to make it appealing". We've had sooo many of these moronic arguments with you folks ...you can't seem to wrap your heads around it's USP: instantaneous Switch from home console to handheld and back again (did you see what I did there?)

Just like flat earthers will look at a picture of the earth from space and say " it's fake "... you will scream that Nintendo's own marketing and declared USP is fake as well...

Enjoy your alternative reality. Its fun watching your mental gymnastics - please continue.

zeldaring

Banned
Welcome back! Look at the Switch reveal ad. Does it show people sitting on their couch playing Switch on their big screens? Does it start that way? Why would a company reveal its product with a form factor that "isn't really designed to make it appealing". We've had sooo many of these moronic arguments with you folks ...you can't seem to wrap your heads around it's USP: instantaneous Switch from home console to handheld and back again (did you see what I did there?)

Just like flat earthers will look at a picture of the earth from space and say " it's fake "... you will scream that Nintendo's own marketing and declared USP is fake as well...

Enjoy your alternative reality. Its fun watching your mental gymnastics - please continue.
It's called smart marketing. It's like family sedan being advertised as a exciting sports car. Fact is Switch is a handheld and makes all the sacrifices to be a handheld. Having a cheap piece of plastic that makes it connect to TV doesn't give you the benefits a home console would like vastly better hardware, comes with everything you need like enough space for games and a controller that actually works for most games.

StueyDuck

The WiiU is an amazing console by any standard. It has enough exclusive bangers to make it worth owning and it's unique features are just incredibly cool. It's also a God-tier console when soft modded.

I love the fact that the gamepad can be a dedicated monitor for Wii titles. The system is really versatile.

oh yeah i loved my Wii U, i just know the general opinion on the console was it wasn't the best. I still have mine set up on my desk, whenever i get that itch for some proper zelda i pop it on for some WindWaker HD.

It's a shame nintendo dumped their Virtual Console and social platforms they were trying to create.

the switch Eshop is so bland and lifeless and filled with steam trash vaporware nonsense, it also performs like hot shit, go past one page on the Eshop and everything freezes and it battles to load more content

Marvel14

Banned
It's called smart marketing. It's like family sedan being advertised as a exciting sports car. Fact is Switch is a handheld and makes all the sacrifices to be a handheld. Having a cheap piece of plastic that makes it connect to TV doesn't give you the benefits a home console would like vastly better hardware, comes with everything you need like enough space for games and a controller that actually works for most games.
No one advertises a family sedan as a sportscar- and youre calling my arguments dumb.... And the underpowered Wii was what exactly? Was it also not a home console because "it's a cheap piece of plastic you connect to the tv"? Give it a rest. If you can't tell the difference between form factor and hardware performance you have no business opining on what a product is or isn't.

Last edited:

Mozza

Well, it looks like they couldn't surpass the DS. I wonder if they'll consider releasing a more powerful model alongside Switch 2? Wii(2006) and DS(2004) combined sold over 250 million units, while the Switch has sold around 120 million units.
Not sure what you are suggesting here.

Top Bottom