• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 21 -27 August CONFIRMED NUMBERS!

RaidenZR

I think I have the best question with:

When was the last time two Square(soft)Enix games were in the top 10 for a Nintendo platform?

ironichaos said:
Obligatory...

DS-money-fast.gif

You might want to add Square-Enix's president in the middle now.

Bebpo

Banned
Vieo said:
Yeah. It would be pretty funny if when the new consoles hit Japan, everyone just ignores them because they are just happy playing DS.

Honestly, that is what's going to happen and it's not particularly funny.

PS3 will bomb, Wii will bomb (though maybe slightly less because it's cheap), X360 has already bombed.

The majority of all Japanese games are going to be PS2 and DS release for the next 5-6 years. :\

It seems that, among third parties, both Namco-Bandai and Square have discovered what sells on the hottest system in Japan. Konami might be next with the upcoming release of Winning Eleven, but I was really hoping that Capcom and Sega would be at the forefront of this…

Bebpo said:
Honestly, that is what's going to happen and it's not particularly funny.

PS3 will bomb, Wii will bomb (though maybe slightly less because it's cheap), X360 has already bombed.

The majority of all Japanese games are going to be PS2 and DS release for the next 5-6 years. :\

Easy there chief.

PS3 and Wii should both do well in Japan.

cvxfreak

11. Daito Giken Pachislot Hihouden
12. Tetris DS
13. Mario Kart DS
14. Jissen Pachislot Hokuto no Ken SE (PS2)
15. Melty Blood Act Cadenza
16. Wrestle Angels Survivor
17. SD Gundam G Generation Portable
18. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 13
19. Sengoku BASARA 2
20. Guilty Gear Judgment (PSP)
21. Digimon Story
22. Monster Hunter Portable (PSP The Best)
23. summer##
24. Kirarin Star Revolution Kirakira Idol Audition
25. Atsumare! Power Pro Kun no DS Koushien
26. Rhythm Tengoku
27. Minna no DS Seminar Kanpeki Kanji
28. Battle Stadium DON (PS2)
29. Mushiking Greatest Champion e-no Michi 2
30. Pokemon Ranger Diamond and Pearl e-no Michi

neo2046

NDS:18
PS2:8
PSP:3
GBA:1

Hm? then I can start a new sales thread with unconfirmed numbers since next week ?? :D

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
neo2046 said:
NDS:18
PS2:8
PSP:3
GBA:1

Hm? then I can start a new sales thread with unconfirmed numbers since next week ?? :D
Please. Then we won't have two threads discussing the same thing.

Mashing

BrodiemanTTR said:
pokeball.gif

Tick-tock Japan, tick-tock.

That's really not fair. Sony should just file an anti-trust suit now.

Edit: Man, I would freaking fall out of my chair laughing if Nintendo released a press release that stated: THE HANDHELD CONSOLE WAR IS OVER!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Less than a month away before Pokemon hits? If the DS is dominating now. What will it be doing after Pokemon? We must create a new category.

BrodiemanTTR said:
pokeball.gif

Tick-tock Japan, tick-tock.
Someone should make an animated gif of the pokeball with a countdown timer to the release day. When it reaches zero it will display the Pika-chu nuclear explosion.

NintendosBooger said:
It seems that, among third parties, both Namco-Bandai and Square have discovered what sells on the hottest system in Japan. Konami might be next with the upcoming release of Winning Eleven, but I was really hoping that Capcom and Sega would be at the forefront of this…

Sega already knows how to make profits from DS, there is that girl game Love & Belly and also a porting from the Sengoku arcade card game that is one of the most played in Japan.
Really only CapCom seems to miss DS at the moment... oh, i forgot.. the have Gyakuten Saiban 4 (Phoenix Wright) in development

apujanata

BorkBork said:
FF3 opens with 500k
Mario opens with 900K

Any takers on first week sales for the yellow rat?

Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire 1st week sales (according to dengeki) is 1,372K. This is on Nov 2002, 1.5 year since release of GBA (march 01) and before release of GBASP (Feb 03). # of GBA sold in Japan (in 2001 and 2002) : roughly 7.5 Million.

Pokemon Diamond and Pearl will be release Sept 28, 2006, 1.5 year since release of NDS (Dec 04) and after release of DSL (March 06). # of DS + DSL sold in Japan : roughly 10.7 Million.

My prediction :
First week sales of Diamond & Pearl are : 2 Million.

Juice

Just wanted you to know I was here all along, lurking.

Every week I try to think of some sort of comment that would even strive to be relevant or novel, but every horse in the realm has been beaten dead by the same clichéd back-and-forth statements.

I guess there's one new one this week: OMG DS SWEPT THE TOP 10

Pretty frickin' amazing, but at this point we're looking at an all new industry in Japan, as the ease with which the DS is shattering records makes just about everything in that region up until now look like dog piss.

Do you remember when the PSP and DS were unveiled? The DS was this neat little side system until the next Game Boy came along, and the two screens and stylus were also neat, but the PSP, look at the graphics on that thing. And it plays movies and holds MP3's and other video files. And look at the price they're releasing it for in Japan!!

And look how none of that mattered at all.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Wii does, specifically in Japan. All bets are off at this point. If the Wii can cater to a similar demographic that these Brain Training games do, Iwata will look like one of the smartest men in the industry in years.

Mike Works said:
Do you remember when the PSP and DS were unveiled? The DS was this neat little side system until the next Game Boy came along, and the two screens and stylus were also neat, but the PSP, look at the graphics on that thing. And it plays movies and holds MP3's and other video files. And look at the price they're releasing it for in Japan!!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the Wii does, specifically in Japan. All bets are off at this point. If the Wii can cater to a similar demographic that these Brain Training games do, Iwata will look like one of the smartest men in the industry in years.

Totally agree with you

Mike Works said:

Is Brain Training Wii in the works?

Mike Works said:

My response to the sales numbers: Unbelievable.

In response to your post...you know I have been playing games for 18 years. I have seen a lot of things, and the DS fad in Japan is of much interest in general but I hadn't truly "bleived" in it until these last few sales charts. I mean...come on...DS owns the top 10 completely? That's absurd. Iwata is definitely a smart smart man though. I have seen this before, and this shows it moreso. Let's see what he has done with Wii though. And pokemon? Lol. Just lol.

Deku

Banned
Mike Works said:

I think that's the biggest misconception on GAF. The training games don't drive the sales, its how the DS was positioned that made the difference.

It's the confusion between games driving sales (in this case the training games started out with zero credibility) vs hardware /demographics driving software. The DS is primarily the latter with the exception of some of the big Nintendo and third party franchise games.

I think analysis purely on the training games making it a success, or NSMB capturing the nostalgic market is always going to miss out on half of the equation. If you look at how Nintendo pushed the DS, right from the beginning when they hired Utada Hikaru to be their spokesperson, its visual marketing was already leages ahead of the competition and they made a great first impression. The very earliest DS spots make it look very cool and conveyed the promise even when the software picture was somewhat bleak. Although most people did not rush out to buy one then, it established a lasting impression that the machine was going places and it was a 'fun' thing to have.

How can it not be fun when you have the right 'idoru' telling you touch it. Utada, Rosa Kato and Nanako belong to a class of relatively scandal 'skank' free idols and they're the kind of girls even older people would want their sons to marry. Whoever ran the DS campaign in Japan needs to be promoted.
touch.jpg

Tabris

01 NDS FF3 - 503.051 / NEW
02 NDS NEW SMB - 65.556 / 2.901.264

03 NDS Rune Factory - 42.210 / NEW
04 NDS Brain Age 2 - 41.784 / 3.073.195
05 NDS Cooking Navi - 37.326 / 384.045
06 NDS Tamagotchi 2 - 30.504 /430.933
07 NDS Mario Basketball 3on3 - 30.355
08 NDS Animal Crossing WW - 30.023 / 3.149.131
09 NDS Brain Age - 22.866 / 2.736.150
10 NDS English Training - 17.465

Except for the bolded, this is the worst list I've ever seen. I rather have Madden 2018 and Grand Theft Auto Ohio than this crap. JP market has officially sunk past the NA's crappy taste in gaming in my opinion.

Rock on FF3 though!

Tabris said:
Except for the bolded, this is the worst list I've ever seen. I rather have Madden 2018 and Grand Theft Auto Ohio than this crap. JP market has officially sunk past the NA's crappy taste in gaming in my opinion.

Rock on FF3 though!

Non-gamers fyl! (for your loss)

Tabris said:

Something tells me you haven't played a single game on that list.

ethelred

Mike Works said:

Iwata's a genius, but Yoichi Wada's pretty damned smart, too. Square Enix is pretty much the only third party in Japan that was almost overwhelmingly backing the DS from the outset (and he has repeatedly offered really glowing remarks about it and how successful he views it and its future) -- and right now they're starting to reap serious divends from that move.

Tabris said:

Rock on FF3 though!

What a pathetic post. :lol It's hilarious to see how much the DS's success consistently wounds you.

A Square Enix-developed sports game is pure crap -- despite the fact that its impressions thread is all-but-unanimously positive? A new action RPG from the creators of the Lufia series is the epitome of crap taste?

ethelred said:
Iwata's a genius, but Yoichi Wada's pretty damned smart, too. Square Enix is pretty much the only third party in Japan that was almost overwhelmingly backing the DS from the outset (and he has repeatedly offered really glowing remarks about it and how successful he views it and its future) -- and right now they're starting to reap serious divends from that move.

How much did FF3 cost in Japan? And if we multiply it by those numbers?

Tabris

Chris Michael said:
Something tells me you haven't played a single game on that list.

I played Animal Crossing on the GCN. It's Harvest Moon meets The Sims. Both of those games also being trash. Playing old NES games was cool though.

I've played Brain Age for 5 minutes than gave it back to my friend and played a real game like Castlevania (which didn't sell well).

Otherwise, the rest are related to the above.

I don't know what Rune Factory is though.

Top Bottom