• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 21 -27 August CONFIRMED NUMBERS!

ZeoVGM

Banned
Square2005 said:
Compare that with my early estimates from Sunday:

1. Phantasy Star Universe 137,000
2. New Super Mario Bros. 56,000
3. GuitarFreaks & DrumMania 25,000
4. Brain Training 2 24,000
5. Animal Forest 23,000
6. Tamagotchi 2 21,000
7. Final Fantasy III 20,000
8. Rune Factory 18,000
9. God Industry ?? 17,000
10. EVE New Generation 15,000

i'm comparing and you were.. just wrong

Frankfurter said:
The actual number (if it's correct) is 100% higher...

I was first to believe in a large week 2 drop (everyone else was convinced it would sell like NSMB or brain training & hav long legs) & no second shipment last week, so the only sales were of what was remaining from the initial shipment; w/ch turned out true.

Yeah the numbers weren't exact but I'll work on my formula to improve them.
They'll never be perfect b/c comgnet only surveys a few stores & recieves about 1/200th-1/500th of all sales in Japan.

At least w/ these estimates we get a very early (by three days) estimate of what sold well & what bombed by late-Sunday.

Square2005 said:
I was first to believe in a large week 2 drop (everyone else was convinced it would sell like NSMB or brain training & hav long legs) & no second shipment last week, so the only sales were of what was remaining from the initial shipment; w/ch turned out true.

Yeah the numbers weren't exact but I'll work on my formula to improve them.
They'll never be perfect b/c comgnet only surveys a few stores & recieves about 1/200th-1/500th of all sales in Japan.

At least w/ these estimates we get a very early (by three days) estimate of what sold well & what bombed by late-Sunday.

Guess my initial prediction of it being ~> 700k for the Year will be correct ^_^

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
LanceStern said:
Guess my initial prediction of it being ~> 700k for the Year will be correct ^_^

There are still 3 and a half months left in the year. You think it will sell <100k a month?

I really wouldn't count FFIII out yet -- this is waaaaay too big of a drop, even by Final Fantasy standards, which suggests that it has everything to do with supply issues. Demand will of course drop week on week, but not by 90 percent!

Kobun Heat said:
I really wouldn't count FFIII out yet -- this is waaaaay too big of a drop, even by Final Fantasy standards, which suggests that it has everything to do with supply issues. Demand will of course drop week on week, but not by 90 percent!

Aye, I'm leaning that way myself.

From the pre-release shipment figures being bandied about & the rumours that no new stock is forthcoming it appears that the sales this week represent the last remaining units of the original shipment and not a fall-off in demand. It remains to be seen whether Squenix will decide that there is unsatisfied demand out there and follow-up with another large shipment - or, indeed, whether they can even manage to produce & ship any significant numbers in short order - but I'd hope they're considering it.

Kobun Heat said:

SE sold approx 91% of their shipments. Assuming they didn't reship this week, it's certainly possible that it dropped tremendously.

AniHawk

Well, well, well. What have we here.

AniHawk said:
Predictions on when FF III DS will hit 1 million units sold?
Never. FF games usually blow their wad in their first week.

60k next week, and then the game will feature a half-life of one week until it's off store shelves.

AniHawk said:
Your reply is the best gift I could receive. Thank you.
The only thing in question is why the sudden drop. This time, it seems to be for a different reason rather than everyone wanting the game week 1 being the only buyers.

Is Pokemon really eating up that much production capacity? Its now time for Nintendo to invest in some new production facilities as these shortages have now gotten out of hand. I feel sorry for Square on this one.

AniHawk

GoldenEye 007 said:
The only thing in question is why the sudden drop. This time, it seems to be for a different reason rather than everyone wanting the game week 1 being the only buyers.

Is Pokemon really eating up that much production capacity? Its now time for Nintendo to invest in some new production facilities as these shortages have now gotten out of hand. I feel sorry for Square on this one.

They should make games for the PSP instead then. No one else is.

Does anyone know how many production plants Nintendo owns? I mean they have to be pushing out 2.2 million DS Lites per month. 6-8 million DS Games per month, and quite a few Wii's and Wii Games per month aswell. That is quite a lot of stuff to be making.

Chris Michael said:
SE sold approx 91% of their shipments. Assuming they didn't reship this week, it's certainly possible that it dropped tremendously.

This is why it probably has a 90% drop, people.

Kobun Heat said:
Don't feel sorry for Square. They blew through a two-week supply in one week. They're probably still out celebrating.

But when other FF games apparently sell 2-3x more (iirc), and this game probably had enough effort put into it comparable to current FF's, it's a little dissapointing.

Amir0x

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
A prediction that, for reasons other than the one you cite, came half true?

There is no way that demand alone caused a 90% dropoff.

I agree with you! FFIII is just waiting to have supplies filled

Kobun Heat said:
Don't feel sorry for Square. They blew through a two-week supply in one week. They're probably still out celebrating.

Hopefully they sorted out a resupply before popping open the bubbly :)

Any idea how long before they could get more units out there to satisfy whatever demand remains? It'll be interesting to see what happens with the sales next week.

Chris Michael said:
But when other FF games apparently sell 2-3x more (iirc), it's a little dissapointing.
a) It's a remake, not a new title;
2) It had a significantly lower budget;
d) It'll keep selling.

Kobun Heat said:
a) It's a remake, not a new title;
2) It had a significantly lower budget;
d) It'll keep selling.

SquareEnix must be going HOLYMOTHEROFGODWEUNDERSHIPPED.

*Secretly increases DS development budget*

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Dragona Akehi said:
SquareEnix must be going HOLYMOTHEROFGODWEUNDERSHIPPED.

*Secretly increases DS development budget*
*gets ready to buy DQIV DS*

Top Bottom