• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2012 Anime |OT3| Where All the Waifus Are Made Up and the Points Don't Matter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazzy

Don't forget to congratulate wonzo too, guys!

AnimeGAF must be the only place on GAF where people actually get congratulations instead of condolences for getting tagged, lol

It's probably because the majority here have something of substance to say, so that instantly sets it apart from GAF...

Ultimadrago

Paranoia Agent 9

ng7CV.png
XXldc.png

The facial expressions in Kon's designs strike again, as usual.

Having to follow up on the great previous episode, I don't believe another side episode was the way to go. This one revolving around the element of rumor and heresay regarding Shounen Bat. Several short tales are spoken and animated out amongst a tight group of middle aged women.

I wasn't moderately entertained by this episode. These experiences largely isolated from the main overarching story work best in isolation to one another. After the last one, this one did not deliver a pleasant surprise. The short stories weren't offensively dull, but they weren't amusing either.
Maybe that's the point when it comes to the gossip of middle aged women?
The direction wasn't special, though it had a couple of decent edits. The ending was an obvious punchline to the episode that I didn't find rewarding.

This was unfortunately not one of Paranoia Agent's stronger showings.

I also didn't really get what was going on with this part towards the end.
Was it a metaphor for the outsider housewife losing her shit with the three other women who constantly belittled her? Was it a story they told? Did it actually happen?

I simply took it as
the last ditch effort story she told.

Soma

Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA 4

ijstD8LE0YNt.jpg
ibwOYSwmkkHznz.jpg

That was fun.

Still the same jokes about sex. Still the same jokes about Suzu's height complex. Still my favorite guilty pleasure anime.

And still no Season 2. ;_;

Also, Suzu's mom is awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA 4

http://i.minus.com/ijstD8LE0YNt.jpghttp://i.minus.com/ibwOYSwmkkHznz.jpg

That was fun.

Still the same jokes about sex. Still the same jokes about Suzu's height complex. Still my favorite guilty pleasure anime.

And still no Season 2. ;_;

Also, Suzu's mom is awesome.

Fuck fuck fuck. I was going to post those. lol

Here's some more though :p

I totally forgot about the Bondage Bear, so that gave me a good chuckle.

I still have no idea what's up with this thing though. Maybe the OVAs make enough money that they're worth doing. I think it probably works better this way, since doing 26 minutes of sex jokes that can be a little more risque than the TV version makes sure that it doesn't wear out its welcome too quickly.

But, I think I said this the last time around, I suppose the idea is to just overload the jokes-per-minute and not give the audience time to groan at a bad sex joke. lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I'll give you the sex part, but where's the humor?

It's wish fulfillment masquerading as humor. Girls saying dirty things isn't inherently funny, but many are entranced by the concept regardless because it constantly evokes the reaction of "where was this girl in my life?"

I think it's safe to say that "girls being openly perverted" is a fetish.

Branduil

It's wish fulfillment masquerading as humor. Girls saying dirty things isn't inherently funny, but many are entranced by the concept regardless because it constantly evokes the reaction of "where was this girl in my life?"

Eh, probably only in Japan.

I will point out that there are a group of people who find "saying dirty things" inherently funny.

Hells Angel

Incredible. Absolutely incredible. How the fuck has this flown under the radar for so long? This seems like the kind of thing that would have been hyped up by the same crowd as Redline. I'm speechless at just how amazing this was. I can't even work up the energy to hit the exclamation key. That's how amazing it was. Every fuckin aspect of this movie was MADE for me.

Speaking of Redline, I feel that this addresses my complaints with that and then some. The first half of Redline was the lead-up to the race and it was pretty boring at times. Here, it's just insanity for nearly 2 whole hours, yet this didn't happen at the cost of build-up and character development. It's the kind of perfect pacing that gets my blood boiling. Any downtime was brief, and even then, the crazy visuals keep you entertained.

Comparing it to Redline probably isn't a good idea though. It reminds me more of something that Imaishi would do. The first half was kind of like a mix of Dead Leaves and Superjail, while the second half was... I don't even fuckin know, something really really really really awesome.

Have I mentioned how much I love this art style and animation? No? Well I REALLY love it. Again, it's something I would expect out of Imaishi. Fast and frantic movement combined with an art style that is PERFECT for that kind of animation. The variety in the designs, the rough feel, the everything; I don't have a single complaint about the look of this thing.

The premise is also something that brings out the awesome in every little thing. The kind of setting where Hell is just an all around awesome place and everyone is ready to ROCK. It's the kind of supernatural school life that just gets exponentially more insane as the story goes on until it gets to the point where it just collapses on itself in glorious madness.

Oh, and I have to give this story props for giving us the most hot-blooded incarnation of
Eve
in any work of fiction (that I know of). I can't believe they took the story of
Cain and Abel
and turned it into... that.

Seriously, what a ride. 10/10, A+/A, Hat/Fabric, whatever kind of rating you want to give this, it's fuckin amazing. This is going right into my top 10 of all time, possibly even my top 5. I almost think this deserves its own thread. Anyone want to make me some gifs?

Kazzy

Seriously, what a ride. 10/10, A+/A, Hat/Fabric, whatever kind of rating you want to give this, it's fuckin amazing. This is going right into my top 10 of all time, possibly even my top 5. I almost think this deserves its own thread.

I can't ignore this amount of hyperbole.

Curiosity piqued! I love it when people get so enthusiastic in the thread.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Someone fixed SOA glopping scene:

http://pastebin.com/T3hz5PX2

There original, inferior version, for those who don't know:

http://pastebin.com/NnLFznXT
Man, that inferior version is mighty inferior. Was this the thing that`s being cut that everyone is upset about or something?

I presume it's a form of gap moe, since the impression you're suppose to have is that they're basically Marimite expys.

I mean, the premise of the series is that the main character is one of the first boys who gets to go to this all-girl's school that has just became a co-op school, which I suppose is some kind of fantasy for someone. Except the point is that the reality isn't as grand as the fantasy. I still remember the one intro scene where girls are tossing around tampons and pads while Tsuda stares blankly into the distance. lol

In the same way, I suppose the idea of a girl who has a bondage bear is actually tiring, especially if she keeps asking you about your masturbation habits.

You know, it's exactly like Ebichu, which is basically extremely perverted Hamtaro. Instead of having girls say dirty things, now you have a hamster. lol

Soma

Really? Huh.

Welp, I guess I have some soul searching to do then.

Real talk though, I have a hard time believing most people who legit enjoy the show can consider it some sort of sacred hallmark of the comedic genre. I mean shit, I'll totally admit the jokes are very hit or miss.

It's dumb, it's silly, it's cute, and like I mentioned above it's a guilty pleasure for me. I dig the characters and their chemistry among themselves.

I can't ignore this amount of hyperbole.

Curiosity piqued! I love it when people get so enthusiastic in the thread.

Don't want to overhype it, but this is pretty much the reason I love anime compressed into a 2 hour film. It's in the same tier as Gurren Lagann (my favorite anime of all time) and some other stuff for me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Really? Huh.

Real talk though, I have a hard time believing most people who legit enjoy the show can consider it some sort of sacred hallmark of the comedic genre. I mean shit, I'll totally admit the jokes are very hit or miss.

It's dumb, it's silly, it's cute, and like I mentioned above it's a guilty pleasure for me. I dig the characters and their chemistry among themselves.

Most of the jokes are dumb, but there's just so many of them that it doesn't matter. I wouldn't be surprised if there really was, on average, a joke a minute in the last few OVAs.

It's why I'm okay with it just being a series of OVAs, since it doesn't really have time to overstay its welcome. And it's not like how the harem resolves itself is all that important!

(Kobayashi is the obvious choice. She has a third stomach after all).

wonzo

Banned
Hells Angel

Incredible. Absolutely incredible. How the fuck has this flown under the radar for so long? This seems like the kind of thing that would have been hyped up by the same crowd as Redline. I'm speechless at just how amazing this was. I can't even work up the energy to hit the exclamation key. That's how amazing it was. Every fuckin aspect of this movie was MADE for me.

Seriously, what a ride. 10/10, A+/A, Hat/Fabric, whatever kind of rating you want to give this, it's fuckin amazing. This is going right into my top 10 of all time, possibly even my top 5. I almost think this deserves its own thread. Anyone want to make me some gifs?
ibg9A7h2Y4AkU7.gif

Now y'all know I wasn't kidding when I called this a masterpiece. Watch it!

Someone fixed SOA glopping scene:

http://pastebin.com/T3hz5PX2

There original, inferior version, for those who don't know:

http://pastebin.com/NnLFznXT
incredible

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I presume it's a form of gap moe, since the impression you're suppose to have is that they're basically Marimite expys.

I mean, the premise of the series is that the main character is one of the first boys who gets to go to this all-girl's school that has just became a co-op school, which I suppose is some kind of fantasy for someone. Except the point is that the reality isn't as grand as the fantasy. I still remember the one intro scene where girls are tossing around tampons and pads while Tsuda stares blankly into the distance. lol

In the same way, I suppose the idea of a girl who has a bondage bear is actually tiring, especially if she keeps asking you about your masturbation habits.

You know, it's exactly like Ebichu, which is basically extremely perverted Hamtaro. Instead of having girls say dirty things, now you have a hamster. lol

Huh, so basically the opposite premise of Kaichou wa Maid-sama, hahah. I guess there's an idea in anime that gender-exclusive schools are dens of filth where students openly revel in the traits of their gender that are most repulsive to the opposite sex. Does Seitokai Yakuindomo at least subvert the trope of the sudden presence of a woman saving an all-male group from its own slovenliness by switching genders in the scenario?

Really? Huh.

I didn't say that it applied to everyone :p I think that it's true that in anime, at least, there's a mystique around perverted girls that does something for a lot of the audience. No one wants you to have to justify your personal reasons for liking it, lol.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I've just begun to watch Hell's Angels and the biggest barrier to my completion is the compulsion to take a screengrab every few seconds. It's going to take me days to watch the film at this rate.

survivor

Banned
Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA 1

Reading moonspeak and firehawk posts about the OVA reminded that I still haven't checked them out. Man, I really missed my dirty jokes. Also it really does seem like there is a huge increase in the amount of jokes especially in the first half when they were introducing all the characters. And I really didn't expect to see a new character, but too bad she is ruined by a bad VA.

Kagami

Eh I guess that could be true too, but the more straightforward aspect is that it's gap/contrast humor playing off the traditional image of men as "the vulgar ones" and women as "sugar and spice and everything nice."

EDIT: I see firehawk basically said this already.

Girl's High uses this same humor.

Dresden

Eh I guess that could be true too, but the more straightforward aspect is that it's gap/contrast humor playing off the traditional image of men as "the vulgar ones" and women as "sugar and spice and everything nice."

calling it a fetish would be a big stretch, i think--it's just another opportunity for humor, however meager it may be for some

recent gaijin example would be Bridesmaids

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Huh, so basically the opposite premise of Kaichou wa Maid-sama, hahah. I guess there's an idea in anime that gender-exclusive schools are dens of filth where students openly revel in the traits of their gender that are most repulsive to the opposite sex. Does Seitokai Yakuindomo at least subvert the trope of the sudden presence of a woman saving an all-male group from its own slovenliness by switching genders in the scenario?
Honestly, I don't remember much happening after the dude goes to the school. He gets drafted onto the student council because the girls think they should have a guy in order to better represent the student body, but it drops the whole "boy in an all-girl's school" thing pretty quickly to just focus on the jokes. He is the straight man, of course, so I suppose you could say he patronizes the girls by sighing at their behaviour... but then again, there are girls who also play that role as well, so it's not exclusively men that are the sane ones in this universe.

And I totally forgot Maid-sama had the same premise. lol

I didn't say that it applied to everyone :p I think that it's true that in anime, at least, there's a mystique around perverted girls that does something for a lot of the audience. No one wants you to have to justify your personal reasons for liking it, lol.
Maybe the secret is that it's one of your fetishes!

Seitokai Yakuindomo OVA 1
Reading moonspeak and firehawk posts about the OVA reminded that I still haven't checked them out. Man, I really missed my dirty jokes. Also it really does seem like there is a huge increase in the amount of jokes especially in the first half when they were introducing all the characters. And I really didn't expect to see a new character, but too bad she is ruined by a bad VA.
I don't really remember the series at all, other than the girl humping the deer, but I wouldn't be surprised if the OVAs had more jokes. There's almost no reason to have a coherent plot anymore, so just go for the pervert stuff full bore.

EDIT: I see firehawk basically said this already.

Girl's High uses this same humor.
Yeah, although I think Girl's High was more "vulgar" in the manga since it touched on sex in a more direct manner. Not that the anime avoided either, but you know.
That said, because there is no male presence in Girl's High, it's more body humour than outright sex jokes.

Have you guys watched Kamen No Maid Guy?
One of the funniest animes Ive seen.
It's a backlog show for me.

calling it a fetish would be a big stretch, i think--it's just another opportunity for humor, however meager it may be for some

recent gaijin example would be Bridesmaids
Oh god damn it, how could I forget? Basically the whole point was that it was women doing gross out body humour instead of Will Farrell and whomever passes for a famous movie comedian these days.

Dresden

Oh god damn it, how could I forget? Basically the whole point was that it was women doing gross out body humour instead of Will Farrell and whomever passes for a famous movie comedian these days.
it also has the 'handsome sensitive fond-of-cooking but not-afraid-to-be-stern forthright and righteous British cop guy' that ends up hooking up with the main girl--guy is basically the equivalent of Asuna

thus Bridesmaids = SAO

America = Japan

God = God

firehawk12

Subete no aware
it also has the 'handsome sensitive fond-of-cooking but not-afraid-to-be-stern forthright and righteous British cop guy' that ends up hooking up with the main girl--guy is basically the equivalent of Asuna

thus Bridesmaids = SAO

America = Japan

God = God
Don't you mean Dog = God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom