• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii U final specs

What you have to remember is that the demo shown was only to show effects. It has no AI logic or was in any way meant to show what the game would look like in a real game environment. I would tone your expectations down knowing that.

zeldahdforwiiubynintend.png

Opiate

Sony once held that title. Being first doesn't make you right, pride before the fall, etc. etc. etc.

I definitely agree that "first place" does not automatically equate to "did everything right and understands the market perfectly." But I think we have considerable additional evidence to suggest that Nintendo is, in fact, right in this regard.

If the Wii were the only graphically/technically weak platform to do well recently, it may be an outlier. Instead, we also have the DS (obviously), early gen iPhones, Android phones, and Facebook games, all platforms which rely on or which exclusively provided games with inferior graphical and technical capabilities -- and all of which, save Android, are individually more popular than either the PS3 or 360.

This certainly suggests that graphics/presentation/superficial concerns really aren't very significant for most people. For "core gamers," yes, but not for most gamers. However, this same body of evidence does suggest an area where Nintendo really did miscalculate: online and network functionality. Where Facebook/iPhone/Android games may be graphically inferior, they are some of the most online focused games in the world, often being available exclusively through DD and also frequently very social / multiplayer in nature.

That is an area where one could reasonably suggest Nintendo made a mistake, despite being "first place" this generation.

Hiltz

It wouldn't make much sense for Nintendo to have shown the Zelda tech demo at E3 2012. That year was for games while 2011 was for tech demos. It would be odd if Nintendo randomly showed the Zelda demo, as many people would naturally assume it's an actual game in development. With that said, Nintendo saving Nintendo Land for the conference's ending was one of many mistakes Nintendo made.

It's actually probably smarter to have it tweaked to $250 instead of focusing on an system capable of super amazing graphics. I know it's not huge sample, but most of my friends (who clearly know nothing about hardware) think graphics on the PS3 and Xbox are amazing, honestly. They're all like, "Oh wow, these graphics look like real life!". If the graphics are indeed better than the PS3/Xbox and depending on whether or not they will release the system at $250, it will more likely bold well for Nintendo as long as they can convince players that the control is worth an upgrade.

I never understood why PC gaf like to blame consoles for developers not pushing the limits of high end PCs. The reason devs don't is because the majority of the market can't play the games at those specs. Sure, the people on this board have rigs with the latest CPU/GPU am tons of RAM, but the average consumer does not.

That's like blaming Toyota for not Mercedes not pushing the envelope with their cars.

It's because they have to sell working ports of their games on consoles in order to be profitable.

Luxury car manufacturers still have volume products that allow them to sell and develop their flagships, the difference is that they have different teams working on different cars.

It's impossible to have that kind of split in the gaming industry. They can't have a DICE dedicated team for just PC versions of Battlefield and another team that handles the gimped console version. It isn't cost effective.

Conor 419

Banned
I definitely agree that "first place" does not automatically equate to "did everything right and understands the market perfectly." But I think we have considerable additional evidence to suggest that Nintendo is, in fact, right in this regard.

If the Wii were the only graphically/technically weak platform to do well recently, it may be an outlier. Instead, we also have the DS (obviously), early gen iPhones, Android phones, and Facebook games, all platforms which rely on or which exclusively provided games with inferior graphical and technical capabilities -- and all of which, save Android, are individually more popular than either the PS3 or 360.

This certainly suggests that graphics/presentation/superficial concerns really aren't very significant for most people. For "core gamers," yes, but not for most gamers. However, this same body of evidence does suggest an area where Nintendo really did miscalculate: online and network functionality. Where Facebook/iPhone/Android games may be graphically inferior, they are some of the most online focused games in the world, often being available exclusively through DD and also frequently very social / multiplayer in nature.

That is an area where one could reasonably suggest Nintendo made a mistake, despite being "first place" this generation.

Yeah, people have forgotten that for what, pretty much every single console generation that the weakest system has always came out on top?

It's outstanding that people still don't get the industry.

Mit-

so the next time you're in a thread talking about a movie you can kindly STFU since you wont know what you're talking about.

also i'm not "IN THE INDUSTRY." Fucking lol.

also, i do know what i'm talking about. they probably could have splurged and gotten 2 gb of ram and it wouldnt have costed them that much. the only reason the ram is so low is probably because of the cost of having the tablet controller, which is feeding off the box, and doesn't have any internal hardware itself. that will probably be taken care of by the "512" if thats what is used for exclusively.

if for some reason the 1gb of ram is some super high speed ram like GDDR5 then it makes it "okay."

Why does it need 2GB? It's a system meant to be on-par with the 360 and PS3. It already has twice as much memory as the 360, and it likely has some extra dedicated memory just for OS functions.

What more is the Wii going to do that's going to benefit from having 4 times as much memory as the 360? What is it going to be limited by, from having only TWICE as much memory as the 360? Right now we're still worrying that the processor won't be that amazing. RAM most certainly is not an issue here.

Sid

Yeah, people have forgotten that for what, pretty much every single console generation that the weakest system has always came out on top?

No PS1 and PS2 were not the weakest neither was the SNES,while being monumental upgrades in tech over their last gen competitors too.

KageMaru

I should have clarified.

Decent jump for THEIR console cycle. As in, Wii -> Wii U

Oh in that case, yeah it's a good leap.

That was regarding Broadcast performance, not cpu/gpu.

I see, well it all depends on what the game does on the pad. If it's a simple menu, I don't see the performance impact to be large at all, even with two pads.

That CPU is going to be a problem

Compared to what? Unless you're actively developing on it now, there's no telling what part of the system is the problem.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
How does this even make sense lol? The N64 and GCN tech demos were like 30 second Link vs. Ganondorf videos, and OoT/TP look significantly better.

You know English right? I meant it pretty simply. I'm being serious. I can't say it clearer. Temper your expectations. For good or bad. I don't care about all the past games. We haven't seen anything yet. I know how the past has gone. I was there and bought the games. I'm still not jumping on either ship of it looking significantly better or worse. Wait and see.

Reallink

Pathetic specs. An enhanced Wii CPU, 1gb of ram for games (wow), that gpu, jesus christ. This is the Wii all over again but I can't blame them after the incredible success it had. Don't think the gamepad will have nearly as much appeal as the Wiimote tho, we'll see.

In general terms, I think it's actually worse than Wii when you consider processing power as a function of time time. The comparison to (then) contemporary hardware was better for Wii as it only took 5 years to effectively overclock the GC. The U has taken 7 years to effectively overclock a 360, so there are obviously a couple extra years of Moore's Law factored in. I wonder if iPad 4 will be seen to match or surpass the overall fidelity of U.

Hmmm. My opinion has never changed on this subject. Ultimately, the specs are disappointing. I don't think there is any way around that fact. The next consoles will leapfrog it, likely by a lot, and the obvious potential of having the same old story as this gen is there. And that's assuming the wiiU even sells as much as the Wii to offer 3rd parties any incentive at all. If it doesn't I can't even imagine the disaster.

But with that said, as a machine to play Nintendo games and only Nintendo games, it's really not that bad (assuming the price isn't high at launch). And I don't think Nintendo cares about anything else, despite the times they state they'd like more 3rd party support. I'm sure they would like it, but I genuinely do not think they care about it that much. I think they're perfectly happy trying to sell a lot of consoles on their software alone, and tailoring the console to their needs was the first priority. If they manage to get any scraps throughout next generation, they'll happily take it. But it will definitely be another generation of a mostly nintendo machine, rather than an all encompassing device.

StuBurns

Banned

That's blatantly false.

Performance wise:
SNES>Megadrive
PS1>Saturn
PS2>Dreamcast

This is the first time the weakest has won.

Cygnus X-1

I don't care about specs so much, but Wii U reusing parts of the Wii is really very Nintendo-ish. Iwata sure wants the system to be profitable from the first minute.

So the CPU is an IBM PowerPC 729 MHz clocked higher times 3? How much higher is the clock speed and what kind of cache are they using / how much cache?

Hoodbury

So is there still that whole GPGPU thing here that will help out the CPU thing? Sorry never followed that very well when it was in the Wii-U thread but I thought the GPU was suppose to take some strain off of the CPU giving reason as to why a weaker CPU could be used.

Hiltz

Microsoft had some advantages by coming out first, but much of its success is due to Sony shooting itself in the foot with the hardware design and marketing strategy of the PS3. It will be interesting to see how the next-generation plays out for these two console manufacturers.

So its

:: 1024 MB of ram for games and main applications
:: 32 MB ram for sub applications (epic Internet explorer)
:: 450 MB (estimate) ram for os?

1024 available for applications (primary Modal Games)
32 that's closer to the GPU
512 that is held off for the OS and any background processes (Web Browser - File Downloader - mini-dashboard - social networking stuff - etc - etc - etc)

My guess is that they will give up half of that 512 to games in an OS update sometime in the future.

So they are using 3 Broadways for Wii compatibility?

Well, most likely just one core for that. But since they are (apparently) using Broadway again, they probably thought it would be best to update it to a triple core CPU for general gaming purposes. Shoveling in two different CPU's would be expensive.

But the Wii-U would have all the hardware components necessary for perfect Wii/ GameCube backwards compatibility.

-Three core processor based on Broadway.
-32MB of eDRAM (substitute for the Wii's 24MB of 1T-SRAM?)
-GX2 API with ATI Graphics (Wii had a GX1 API?)
-1GB GDDR3 (I'm speculating that it will be GDDR3) would replace for the Wii's 64MB of GDDR3.

All the hardware would be there.

Well it would be consistent with every other rumor 1-1.5 for games 512 for Os

Yeah, not certain at all. I am merely going by rumors.

megamerican

I guess now it's clear why we were hearing all those reports of developer grumbling. This move seems pretty short sighted on Nintendo's part.

This seems less like Nintendo learning and adapting from the successes and failures of the Wii, and more like just straight up trying to copy their initial success and forgetting about the last few years of that consoles life.

TheNatural

My Member!
Fairly certain the Xbox was far more powerful than the PS2, and pretty sure the Gamecube was as well (in most departments).

Some games even supported 720p on Xbox.

The context of the post was this was the first time the weakest has "won."

It wasn't. PS2 was the least powerful and PS1 was less powerful than the N64.

Counting Saturn and Dreamcast is bizarre world since SEGA was off in their own half generation tangent. Between the real console wars, the past three generation the weakest system has won.

Gravijah

What you're seeing now is my normal state;

http://i.imgur.com/QZcKW.jpg[IMG]

This is a Super Nintendo;

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/I0Ksa.png[/MG]

And this....this is what is known as a Super Nintendo that has ascended past a Super Nintendo....or you could just call this a Super Nintendo 2;

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/RjxKZ.jpg[IMG]

And this.....is to go.....even further.....beyond!

[B]AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH[/B]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cXq3Q.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]

so iOS is Buu right since it's devouring the industry?

I agree with this statement. However, even so, it doesn't appear as though Sony nor Microsoft are really focused on social gaming... At all...

I read a Kotaku opinion piece awhile back about Nintendo's plans with social gaming. I'd have to say that I think Kotaku was on to something back then. They essentially said that Nintendo is attempting to bring social gaming to the forefront and that Nintendo feels that is the next wave to the future. Of course, Nintendo missed this boat with the Wii; but so did Microsoft and Sony. If Nintendo creates a system that makes gaming a social event across different mediums, we may be looking at something very very big.

Triple U

Banned

Counting Saturn and Dreamcast is bizarre world since SEGA was off in their own half generation tangent. Between the real console wars, the past three generation the weakest system has won.

So is Nintendo, but people will deny and defend against this with their life.

Mit-

Should have formatted yours differently. The context of the original post was using the ">" character to denote one system's power being "greater than" the other. Yours was used as a measure of success instead of raw power.

And was the N64 really more powerful than the PS1? Because I've seen a lot of games on PS1 that look better than anything I ever saw on N64.

So is Nintendo, but people will deny and defend against this with their life.
Depends on how you define a generation then. The Wii came out the same year as the PS3 and a year after 360, correct? Most people would say that puts it in the same console generation as the PS3 and 360.

StuBurns

Banned

What? Why don't those systems count? Saturn came out like two weeks before PS1.

jerd

1024 available for applications (primary Modal Games)
32 that's closer to the GPU
512 that is held off for the OS and any background processes (Web Browser - File Downloader - mini-dashboard - social networking stuff - etc - etc - etc)

My guess is that they will give up half of that 512 to games in an OS update sometime in the future.

IIRC there was some speculation in the Wii U thread that there was still 2GB of total RAM, with the OS chewing up an entire GB. Is this still a possibility?

Edit: This was a while back, maybe a couple of weeks ago.

King_Moc

Banned
What? Why don't those systems count? Saturn came out like two weeks before PS1.

Saturn probably should. DC really was in it's own generation though. It was dead by the time the PS2 came out and was completely forgotten when GC and XBOX were released.

Top Bottom