• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

CorvoSol

Gafgarion is the second most badass character in the game. The most badass is the Thunder God because how many sixty-year old men in this series are swordsmen and not mages?

Gafgarion is the second most badass character in the game. The most badass is the Thunder God because how many sixty-year old men in this series are swordsmen and not mages?

The only old men in this series I can think of are Cid from FF8 and (thanks to Schala) Tella. Neither of them use swords!

Heropon

ii8qu.png
x5Jko.png
0bilo.png

Kuja and his minions have taken Eiko to this place to do nasty things to her, ugh. Oh, Vivi, you so klutz. The shop has new items for our characters.

ZIL43.png
FDZRc.png
KzMyR.png

TIzmP.gif
Mount Gulug (Gulg Volcano arranged)

This place meets us with great music and items like a red cap and a demon's mail.

OWsIu.png
IJuQQ.png

These red enemies give Mustard Bomb. How could there be moogles in this place?

zKGpQ.png
ibS4u.png
nP2rF.png

There are surprise attacks by red dragons. As we remember from other Final Fantasies they mean trouble, their Twister attack has highly variable damage and it's pretty dangerous. Thankfully, Quina can learn it.

BenIU.png
qjDCv.png
6f65A.png

The candle enemies teach Glacier to Quina. Zidane uses the well to go down and another dragon appears!

ho6iv.png
tfFn9.png
wo7vV.png

Oh, noes, they're extracting Eiko's Eidolons! I wonder what eidolon can beat Garland, Carbuncle? Hahahaha!

ByRwF.png
HH8up.png

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy IV The After Years - The Dispossessed Eidolons

Mog has a strange behaviour and evolves!

YCjfg.png
S5lw3.png
7gGff.png

Mogu transforms into Madeen (Maduin) and does a Terra Homing, this game's answer to Alexander's absence.

6aq15.png
kPxdC.png
irjRo.png

And the jesters die like the scum they are, their days as parasites come to an end. This overkill comes as a double-edged sword as Kuja learns about trance.

pMfKI.png

Eiko replaces Vivi as the damage dealer and...

em548.png
6yb6g.png

Boss battle 19, Meltigemini: Kuja transforms the jesters into an uncanny horror.

dZSOm.png
EyXKW.png

Luckily, Eiko uses her holy powers and exterminates the horrible monster. The battle ends fast but the characters don't gain AP thanks to some viric powder.

E50UV.png
60tc3.png
oh03X.png

The party meets a woman that happens to be in the volcano and, surprise surprise, it's Hilda, Cid's witch wife! What is she doing here? What's a bed doing here? Did the black mages transport it?

CorvoSol

The only old men in this series I can think of are Cid from FF8 and (thanks to Schala) Tella. Neither of them use swords!

Cid in 8 isn't a PC, though. Hmmm. Lessee, Cid, Tellah and Fusoya in FF4. Oh, I guess Zangetsu of TAY uses spears and Ninja swords. Galuf can use swords. Strago can't. Hmmm.

You know, it's been awhile since the series had an old man PC. And I mean OLD and not "I'm thirty-five-to-forty! I'm an old man now!" like Sazh.

I've been busy with school this week, and running through KH3D. I imagine that Thursday I should be able to get off the Floating Continent and possibly finish Type-0. I only have 1 class Thursday.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, I was going to update last night until I started feeling really tired and couldn't finish the writeup. Might do an update today if I finish a report early.

School/work!
2ob1Z.gif

Ultratech

Cid in 8 isn't a PC, though. Hmmm. Lessee, Cid, Tellah and Fusoya in FF4. Oh, I guess Zangetsu of TAY uses spears and Ninja swords. Galuf can use swords. Strago can't. Hmmm.

You know, it's been awhile since the series had an old man PC. And I mean OLD and not "I'm thirty-five-to-forty! I'm an old man now!" like Sazh.

I've been busy with school this week, and running through KH3D. I imagine that Thursday I should be able to get off the Floating Continent and possibly finish Type-0. I only have 1 class Thursday.

I can't really think of Old Man PCs, but here's what I can think of up to XII:
-FF3: Dorga (Joins as a temporary guest, busts out Flares and crap.)
-FF4: Tellah and FuSoYa (the latter counts, right?)
-FF5: Galuf
-FF6: Strego, Banon (Temporary guest), Cyan (apparently he's 50, whether that counts as an old man is something else.)
-Tactics: T.G. Cid, Gafgarion

I was tempted to add Reddas from XII, but I found out he's only 33...(How or why is that possible?)

Heropon

9fGoT.png
jwjm3.png
Z7cb3.png

Cid makes some false promises and Hilda forgives him, reverting back to human form.

tpLhR.png
139rs.png

Reunion time, Hilda tells what Kuja is planning to do. He seeks a great power in Gaya to do something in his home world, Terra. He told us that earlier, it was to defeat Garland.

FEN4U.png

TIzmP.gif
Theme of Tantalus

"These works are like those of the Holy Family!"

pukrI.jpg

Maybe, but you can't complain until you have been repairing the town for 130 years.

QvlXm.png
9NGh2.png
xY0b7.png

The next objetive is going to Terra, but the party needs to do certain things to do so, like visiting an ancient castle. Cid leads the Hildegarde 3 works and sacrifices the ship to end them fast.

8eJam.png
eq5Jh.png

The princess is in another city and Zidane has to search for her in Alexandria, but he finds Beatrix first, who gives him a garnet. Great to see you alive! Don't appear more, I don't want you in my party.
:(

a0XjW.png
R3A7I.png

And the garnet went from hand to hand and ended in Garnet's posession. By the by, she talks again.

bU9sy.png
kB5Zy.png
b9TKi.png

She didn't talk because she was thinking about doing a haircut and that required many neurons.

GJJeU.png
mQvfp.png
fndyq.png

TIzmP.gif
Airship Hildagarde

The important moment in every Final Fantasy when the party adquires aerial transportation and listens to good music is here, rejoice! The new places this airship opens for us are Daguerreo and the entire Forgotten Continent.

7BnA4.png
YYi3O.png

But first, it's frog time! Quina adquires a Bistro Fork.

yJRpp.png
CJ4vS.png
cybf5.png

TIzmP.gif
Secret Library Daguerreo

Having access to this place means access to the weapon shop (not so immediately) and the synthesis shop with lots of great new items like the gold hairpin (Zidane and Amarant can now learn Auto-Regen, leaving only Steiner without it), the thief gloves (more easy to get rare items with its ability) and the white and black robes if you didn't get them in the Chocobo Hot and Cold sidequest earlier. The party gets the Capricorn stellazio (10/12).

yUqyG.png
lyMdu.png
qTLgw.png

Before the weapon shop is opened, one has to solve this easy puzle involving elevators and sticks. There's a button that activates a mechanism in the main hall that transforms ores into aquamarines. This guy says I'm really bad at treasure hunting, whatever.

YwfBq.png

And Zidane gets a Rosetta ring thanks to the last stellazio.

Heropon

LslOO.png
QUebi.png
4PJCF.png

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy V - Mambo de Chocobo

The advent of the third steam powered airship has spawned the final chocograph fragment, but because I only had four of them I had to visit the two chocobo places.

HHJLw.png
6FSHz.png
YWZu4.png

Mist Ocean: The last illegal chest transforms the chocobo into a golden bird. Now I can sell it! Oh, no, gold only means that it has another shade of yellow.

B6lUD.png
yaD4Y.png
lgrfr.png

This chocobo inherits the black chocobo powers and can fly, but it can only take off and land in forests. There are certain black shadows in the world and the chocobo can eat a dead pepper while it's flying over them to go to the...

JGXdN.png
HQxb0.png

...Chocobo's Air Garden. This place is the third and last one that has chocographs (3 more), each item gives more points but it has two parts and that results in less items per game :(

7GTYs.png
5xh8c.png
dFABj.png

Outer Island: It has the legendary armor of the legendary Gilgamesh, the Genji armor and the sword Ragnarok, Steiner's most powerful weapon (Excalibur II doesn't exist!) that teaches Shock (x3 normal attack damage, so 9999 when the normal attacks do 3333, easy with the Ragnarok).

wgCsl.png
7CVRX.png
RiIMu.png

Outer Island 2: It contains the circlet (BEST magic defense) and another pumice piece (shadow absorb).

U5jOV.png
qW86n.png

Fairy Island: It contains a holy miter, nothing special.

ovkN9.png
FgotV.png
mwddy.png

Fairy Island: It has another ribbon and another rebirth ring.

EK5iR.png
10XRl.png
IVpnW.png

TIzmP.gif
Moogle Theme

What's behind this crack in this solitary island? The Mognet central! They have problems with a machine because it isn't greased. Stupid purple moogle!

1h85T.png
byKr5.png

Now I go to Daguerreo's island to kill some dragons and this cute cat appears. It wants my diamonds, but I'm so greedy that I flare him to death. Purrrrrrr.

BhZDf.png
bb3xB.png
uPNM8.png

I go to the Forgotten Continent forest to find a friendly monster and I see this friendly guy three times (abusing saving the game). Thanks for the monies.

J2zyS.png

The friendly i-don't-know appears at last, and wants me to see a feather circle. I'll do it a little later.

yevmF.png
vWjIv.png

Where is my golden frog!? AGGGH, I'LL KILL ALL OF YOU!!!! And then Quina gets a pair of boots thanks to the slaughter.

uqg7L.png

I'm going to visit the friendly monster the other one told me to! Unfortunately, there are like millions of monsters in the zone.

73eOu.png

And an hout later it appears. I swear I wanted to kill it when I saw it, %*?¿!"€
I curse you for eternity, little thingy!!!!

And this concludes the update :)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Wutai troops have hijacked Shinra Express MK93 II. Are you a bad enough dude to quash this uprising?

Pt.1 "False Start"

iPINTQZRv9eDN.jpg
iQpU2BXsErq0w.jpg

The trains on its way to Sector 8 and overrun with Wutai troops! Shinra in its infinite wisdom decides they oughta leave this mission in the hands of just one person. He'd better be pretty damn capable! Orders are to eliminate the troops and retake control of the train. Is he ready?

iSMOsWOZABTJd.jpg
ib0WVBPOuTLhFc.jpg

ibvsTfuoflaHST.jpg
ibaV07Ue82amqn.jpg

Completely! He leaps from the helicopter down to the train top and pauses for a moment as an older looking guy tells him to focus and to remember that there aren't any Shinra troops on the train. I guess Shinra didn't completely trust Zack to take care of things and had backup just in case? Regardless, Zack's raring to go! He starts running across the train skillfully dodging a barrage of bullets and cutting down enemy troops! When these Wutai guys start whipping out bazookas he pulls off the amazing feat of jumping over 'em meaning he's leapt even faster than the train is moving...? Fuck you physics, inertia, and other fancy terms! "SOLDIER 2nd Class Zack, on the job!" This gutsy move allowed him to stop train near the Sector 1 Mako Reactor. Mission accomplished?

iNl6IqomfgOUj.jpg
iPjOwixOpUTvb.jpg

"Proceed to mission phase 2 and change surveillance rank..." whoops! Mission is still ongoing! Despite that, Zack whips out his cellph... PHS to ask a dumb question. He then receives an obvious answer: "They're Wutai troops in disguise." Now Zack's gotta get through a big group of these guys, but as a member of SOLDIER that's no problem at all! He even says it was a piece of cake and that he'll make 1st Class in no time! He rushes up some stairs through a crowd of fleeing people and encounters...

iwhDtKGNFgohr.jpg
i4ZRgLyeMMZez.jpg

ifWXLPF5atZbD.jpg
i7HQA61Sq15yy.jpg

A Behemoth! Guess those Wutai guys unleashed it on the unsuspecting public. Hacking away at this monster isn't tiring Zack out at all. Instead he feels a power surge and unleashes his Chain Slash! It puts the hurt on the big guy, but Blizzaga seems ta be an even more efficient way of attack! And it just so happens that for whatever reason he gets a status effect which makes his magic cost 0 MP! Spam, spam, spam!! Conflict resolved, no prob!

iuCBn6m0vND5y.jpg
ibazG6ETGi1ufd.jpg

ib2x2qNsbU8wqD.jpg
ioYLD6Mhd4d4b.jpg

Sephiroth?! What's he trying to prove? idk but judging my Zack's remark "Damn it, you're not the only hero!" he has something to prove! The two have alil go at it but Sephiroth easily wins this spar. Angeal has ta step in and put an end to it. How? By using his PSH to abort the mission. Wait, what?

iB0M7I0cQxchk.jpg
igpFXI4ZgQ8oP.jpg

ijHenbKbmhcOz.jpg
iCgjsJWLHsS03.jpg

It was a VR simulation all along! That's quite some crazy technology they got there. Really crazy when ya consider the fact that Zack's sword is broken for reals! If only there were a tournament he could enter in which he could fight to collect the other broken pieces and bring them together to form an even better sword... nah, that'd never happen! Instead he'll have ta show alil humility and maybe not be so overzealous next time.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
->>>>> Final Update: Pt.?? "Full Circle" <<<<<-

Welcome everybody. Welcome to "The Wo..." er, to Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII!

ik6KaBmWxQJic.jpg

Alternative Title - Gackt Attack

Released
• 09/13/07 (JP)
• 03/24/08 (NA)
• 06/20/08 (EU)

Infos
Crisis Core hit japan 5 years ago to the day as part of the continued 10th Anniversary lovefest for the original FFVII. It begins 7 years prior to the events of the original and follows the tale of Zack Fair a member of SOLDIER whom Cloud took after in more ways than one as we all learned! Zack is so good that he operates solo... or maybe it's just cause this game is an Action/RPG? No party members this time! Expect lotsa slashing and some strange slot machine thingy. I'd like ta think Crisis Core was released as an apology for the trainwreck that I assume Advent Children to be... but that's something for another time? Anyhows unlike my FFVII playthrough my run of this game won't be "skilled" cause this'll only be my second time playing it. Since I won't be blazing through the game I'll hopefully hit a buncha interesting optional(?) stuffs. btw this is not a New Game+ run. I'm playing from scratch!

Characters
A list of mostly major characters Zack'll meet throughout the course of the game. Profiles will be updated as events unfold but will be spoiler tagged.

Zack Fair
iwbbvGh99oQHU.jpg
ibqqe3DVhBWNDv.jpg

• The star of the show. This 2nd Class member of SOLDIER has high hopes of not only making 1st Class, but also being known as a hero! He's got something of a hot-blooded man of action nature though, which leads to him goofing up from time to time.
|
He finally made 1st Class, but got snubbed of hero status despite his efforts in the war.
|
Was put on paid leave sometime after the Modeoheim incident and felt her was being watched.
|
After the battle against Sephiroth he was experimented upon by Hojo and held captive for 4 years before escaping. According to Kunsel, a large battalion of infantrymen are out for his head.

Angeal Hewley
izov655Hv6Q4Z.jpg

• A 1st Class member of SOLDIER whom mentors Zack and monitors his training. Grew up poor and remains thrifty or "cheap" to this day. The sword he wields looks kinda familiar...
|
Allegedly killed in action. He left SOLDIER, killed his mother, and grew a white wing.
|
As it turns out, his mother had taken her own life. Angeal continued to help SOLDIER combat Genesis & Hollander until the incident in Modeoheim. There, he forced Zack to fight and put an end to his own suffering.

Kunsel
izjTlgQzoE4Qt.jpg

• A 2nd Class member of SOLDIER. One of Zack's best friends. He keeps Zack up to date on various goings-ons and often reminds his forgetful friend of important things.

Lazard Deusericus
iCGLwoYYncEl3.jpg

• A SOLDIER bigwig who's on the non-combat of the company. Lazard assigns missions and is the person to suck up to if you want a promotion. He was involved in the decision making behind ushering in war with Wutai.
|
Disappeared from Shrina once it was discovered he was using company money to fund Hollander's experiments.
|
Wanting revenge again Shinra, it was he who helped Hollander escape Junon. He was betrayed however, and turned into an Angeal copy who now wishes to help Zack.

Yuffie Kisaragi
ibmWlZIrndWQAs.jpg

• Wutai's self-proclaimed bestest fighter. Despite being a kid, she managed to "defeat" Zack in their first encounter!
|
Later goes by the alias "Treasure Princess" and gives Zack quite the run around.
|
After that she went by "Anonymous" and duped Zack into giving her money & items.
|
Now going by her real name, she led Zack on more and eventually stole one of his materia. It was returned later as she couldn't use it. Allegedly she'll someday become a true materia hunter.

Sephiroth
i0EgRZI7PHtVM.jpg

• A 1st Class member of SOLDIER. Known as a hero before and even moreso after the Wutai war. His only two friends in the world are Angeal and Genesis.
|
During his time in Nibelheim the sight of monsters being made in the reactor, Genesis's words, and his own uncertainty of his parentage, all cause him to lose his marbles. He sets fire to the town, injures Tifa and battles Zack. Despite downing Zack he's caught off guard by Cloud twice who ends up sending him to his death.

Tseng
ibosPrIqj3ccZX.jpg

• A member of the Turks. The guy may be deadset on following company policy to the letter but he isn't heartless. His weapon of choice is a handgun.
|
One of his duties is spying on Aeris and making sure she remains alive. He's also grown friendlier with Zack over time.
|
During Nibelheim's reconstruction he repeatedly requested to speak with Hojo but was always turned away. Might he have be worried and trying to find an answer as to the whereabouts of Zack?

Genesis Rhapsodos
ibv38xFkE8AisK.jpg

• Former SOLDIER 1st Class and friend to Angeal & Sephiroth. He disappeared during a mission in Wutai along with a group of other SOLDIER members.
|
He may have a wing, but what makes him a monster was killing his family and turning innocent guys into copies of himself.
|
Allegedly killed in action. Now working with Hollander. He once desired Sephiroth's title of "hero" but now seeks the "gift of the goddess".
|
Turned against Hollander and defeated by Zack. He then lept to his death.
|
Apparently still alive and controlling copies around the world.
|
Seems to know the truth behind Sephiroth's past and desires some of his former friends genes in order to stop his own degradation.

Professor Hojo
iGdLQoMarTF5K.jpg

• Head of the Shinra Science Department. Openly mocks those who lack his intellect. Has taken a liking to Zack after Zack cleared all four of his virtual battle programs.
|
He and Hollander were once rivals to take the top spot in the Shinra Science Department. Sees Hollander as nothing more than a second-rate scientist.
|
Had the unconscious Zack & Cloud captured to use in his experiments. Deemed the both of them failures and left them to rot in some pods four nearly four years.

Cissnei
ibgkQndOSoK8ou.jpg

• A member of the Turks who uses a giant shuriken in battle. She and Zack first cross paths in Sector 8, battling against Genesis copies and mechs. As a kid she wished to have angels wings which she believes symbolizes freedom to those that have none.
|
Possibly an orphan as she was raised by the Shinra company. "Cissnei" is apparently her code name, not her real one. She helped Zack & Cloud to escape and agreed to spend time with Zack's parents.

Dr. Hollander
ibb8u78ryD2RVI.jpg

• The scientist behind "Project G". His experiment appeared to have resulted in failure. This may be why Hojo was chosen over him to become the next Shinra science lead. He stole copy technology before leaving Shinra to work on getting revenge against them.
|
Greatly dislikes Hojo. He worked with Genesis to get revenge until Genesis turned on him. Apparently related to Angeal.
|
Turned himself into a Genesis copy in order to survive after Genesis nearly killed him. Turned Lazard into an Angeal copy even though he was an ally for some time. Was killed by Zack in battle.

Aeris Gainsborough
iLUjNioWTPbYr.jpg

• Resident of the Sector 5 slums. She tends to flowers growing inside a church and her own home, wishing to see the whole city filled with them someday. Thinks Zack is nice, strong, and also funny.
|
She's the last living Ancient. Because of this, the Turks keep her under surveillance.
|
Her 23 tiny wishes all amounted to wanting to spend more time with Zack. Even 4 years later she's still waiting for him to return and fix her broken wagon wheel. Until then, she'll continue selling flowers using a basket.

Cloud Strife
ib2ANuLqkXfGFT.jpg

• An infantrymen in the Shinra Security Department. Coming from a similar background as Zack, the two quickly become friends when they meet on an assignment to Modeoheim. Cloud hopes to one day become a member of SOLDIER.
|
He seems to suffer from motion sickness.
|
Bravely picks up the fight against Sephiroth when Zack is injured by him. Despite being impaled, he manages to take Sephiroth out.
|
After the battle against Sephiroth he was experimented upon by Hojo and held captive for 4 years before escaping thanks to Zack. The experiments left him nearly comatose, unable to form words or move under his own power. The last pure S-cells reside within his body.

Mission Status
Missions may be seen as 5 minute filler, but through doing these you'll get most of your Summon & Chocobo Mode DMW materia, and progress some often silly side-stories. How many of these will I beat before I break down crying an just wanna finish the game? Stay tuned to find out!

Missions Cleared: 257 / 300
Overall Progess: 85%

01 | Shinra Electric Power Company (30 / 30)
ibceAo9KeUAWu2.png

02 | Monster Research Project (24 / 30)
03 | Genesis's Forces (24 / 30)
04 | To End the War With Wutai (30 / 30)
ibceAo9KeUAWu2.png

05 | Hojo's Laboratory (24 / 24)
ibceAo9KeUAWu2.png

06 | Seeking Precious Items (30 / 36)
07 | Seeking Priceless Items (31 / 36)
08 | Zack, the Materia Hunter (36 / 36)
ibceAo9KeUAWu2.png

09 | Great Cavern of Wonders (16 / 36)
10 | Mysteries of the World (12 / 12)
ibceAo9KeUAWu2.png

iRzRVS1lYNyg8.jpg

DMW Status
The "Digital Mind Wave" mechanic is beyond players control and for good reason: it does all kinds of useful stuff! Level Up, get temporary special status effects, restore HP/MP/AP and one other thing. This being allowing Zack to use Limit Breaks / Summons / Chocobo Mode. Limit Breaks are important because they contain memories ranging from shots of story events that have passed, but also videos with dialogue of scenes the player hasn't already seen unfold!

ibgCd6PjLVElG6.jpg

Updates
The titles for each main playthrough update are borrowed from various anime and fit the content of each post. I'll periodically reveal which anime these titles are borrowed from!

Main Playthrough
Chapter 1
Pt.01 | "False Start"
• Anime: Fate/Zero
• Posted: 09/12/12

Chapter 2
Pt.02 | "The First Errand"
• Anime: To Heart 2
• Posted: 09/14/12

Pt.03 | "Storming the Base"
• Anime: Steel Angel Kurumi
• Posted: 09/16/12

Chapter 3
Pt.04 | "Fruit: The Town of Sweet Scent"
• Anime: Final Fantasy Unlimited
• Posted: 09/18/12

Pt.05 | "Outbreak:Genesis"
• Anime: Guilty Crown
• Posted: 09/20/12

Chapter 4
Pt.06 | "The Town's in a Lot of Danger?"
• Anime: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
• Posted: 09/22/12

Pt.07 | "Pursuit"
• Anime: Death Note
• Posted: 09/23/12

Chapter 5
Pt.08 | "Flower Power"
• Anime: Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
• Posted: 09/24/12

Pt.09 | "The One Left Behind"
• Anime: Zoids Genesis
• Posted: 09/29/12

Chapter 6
Pt.10 | "A Departure and New Ties"
• Anime: Magic Knight Rayearth
• Posted: 09/30/12

Pt.11 | "The True Owner of the Great Sword"
• Anime: Inuyasha
• Posted: 10/02/12

Chapter 7
Pt.12 | "It's Summer Vacation! Let's Gather, Everybody!"
• Anime: Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch Pure
• Posted: 10/03/12

Chapter 8
Pt.13 | "The Girl and the Seasoned Soldier"
• Anime: Monster
• Posted: 10/05/12

Chapter 9
Pt.14 | "This Just Can't Be Right"
• Anime: Puella Magi Madoka Magica
• Posted: 10/06/12

Pt.15 | "Fire Starter"
• Anime: FLCL
• Posted: 10/07/12

Chapter 10
Pt.16 | "Escape from Pain"
• Anime: Trigun
• Posted: 10/09/12

Chapter 11
Pt.17 | "Creeping Evil"
• Anime: Outlaw Star
• Posted: 10/11/12

Pt.18 | "In Your Memory"
• Anime: Angel Beats!
• Posted: 10/12/12

Pt.19 | "Inheritance"
• Anime: Yu Yu Hakusho
• Posted: 10/12/12

???
...?
Pt.?? | "Legacy"
• Posted: 10/13/12

Pt.?? | "Full Circle"
• Posted: 10/13/12

Missions & Memories
M&Ms.1
• Posted: 09/21/12

M&Ms.2
• Posted: 09/24/12

M&Ms.3
• Posted: 09/30/12

M&Ms.4
• Posted: 10/02/12

M&Ms.5
• Posted: 10/04/12

M&Ms.6
• Posted: 10/05/12

M&Ms.7
• Posted: 10/07/12

M&Ms.8
• Posted: 10/09/12

M&Ms.9
• Posted: 10/10/12

Welcome everybody. Welcome to "The Wo..." er, to Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII!
Oh man, I've got a feeling that your Let's Play is going to make me really lament the lack of Crisis Core on the PSN. And also, the fact that my new game plus save file got corrupted somehow. D-:

Heropon

SK7u9.png
PPg9v.png
hUaOS.png

TIzmP.gif
Ipsen's Castle

After another time full of optional stuff the heroes arrive at a symetric castle in the middle of nowhere. What where thinking the architects when they designed this thing? Amarant questions why Zidane wants to go in group (Try to kill Kuja alone, you idiot) and challenges him.

3L6Uj.png
vxeMY.png
mHS2l.png

I have a weird feeling and I equip all my weakest weapons :p. The party also gets Aquarius and Zidane's two daggers, I'm sure that has a meaning...

2WAPB.png
ljQXx.png

Vivi and Eiko mistreat all the monsters with their powerful magical abilities.

K92GW.png
ahdHv.png

Oh, Amarant has won and leaves the party. Good riddance! And I didn't like your stupid hair, if you didn't know that yet!

fePSV.png
Un69z.png
quOUi.png
MEiRs.png

Zidane gets four mirrors with inscriptions in them. So cryptic!

vqmsQ.png
SZhTr.png
adKCb.png

CAtXz.gif
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Boss Battle

Boss battle 20, Taharka: This boss often enters in a defense mode where only magic attacks do normal damage. Soooo lame and coward.

8Xrws.png
vvR1c.png

Zidane keeps failing at stealing the rare item even if he supposedly has an ability that increases the rare item stealing rate. Eiko uses Haste on him even if haste is pretty useless in this game. Let's talk about turns: At the beginning of the battle, the game decides in what part of the ATB gauge each combatant starts, when the turn comes each one attacks and then while the other characters are attacking the gauge keeps filling, and then the turns become something like this ABCDEABCDEABCDE... Meaning: This is like a turn based FF but at least you know the order (well, you can wait while a character has the gauge filled and change the order of the turns).

DIWNm.png

Zidane is in trance! Maybe now he will steal something worthwhile! I was so mistaken...

r4Kho.png
XHQ4P.png

Agh! I feel so cheated. Eat this! Grand Lethal is called Luminaria in the Spanish version, which means Luminaire. You know, like that magic that Crono uses in Chrono Trigger. It seems someone was a fan of CT, or they thought Gran Letal was stupid. This attack is almost a guaranteed 9999. Almost, because certain enemy was defending and it did <100. Oh, Zidane, you're so useless right now! I feel so betrayed.

eDnfS.png

I wanted to see what the heck was the famous item I was trying to steal. A better weapon for Zidane? He doesn't deserve it!

IOP1b.png
J4EPt.png

Multiple trance! I'm gonna get my revenge right now! Zidane keeps failing, good job!

mgrHC.png
JRmPK.png
sLelg.png

Vivi casts Firaga x2 and...

jaLX8.png
q7gA5.png

...the battle ends. That means that another trance was wasted (Steiner's). Vivi learns the -aga spells and gets my praising. Zidane, I'm disgusted, now I know why your parents abandoned you when you were... little?

M2ia4.png
r1V9M.png
vtfSq.png

Zidane keeps delivering and doesn't know how to open a secret door...

vGQRY.png
dH4Bl.png

... until he does it. I'm going to increase your allowance in 1 gil for that. The party adquired an item I didn't care about and that's that (after leaving the castle it connects this room with the first thanks to some stairs, but who wants to return?)

BzChM.png

This pair doesn't know I can cure stone!

WCwJ8.png
tsxpj.png
dNOrU.png

Oh, Vivi, you almost died, and I don't want that to happen. You're a very valuable asset to my party. Zidane uses another trap to get a Maiden's prayer.

m7JFA.png

The leftovers tell Zidane that Amarant hasn't exited the castle and Zidane is so nice that he has to find him and he enters the castle, alone!

IN4v7.png
inhSn.png

Ugh, a Doom guy. That means one thing: Flee.

Y1ihb.png
8MEIB.png
0fHSP.png

Zidane explains the power of friendship to Amarant and the meaning of the mirrors to the other characters. Oh, Zidane, you're so clever! NOW STEAL THINGS! Zidane wants to divide the group in 4 pairs and go to the temples, the white mages don't know about strategy and want to go to together. The healers should go with people that can't cure!

0JsiH.png
FbaqO.png
xTQX5.png

Zidane returns to the castle to get a present for Garnet and goes to a strange room. He has to move some jars counter-clokwise.

EVuZ2.png

Ancient Aroma adquired!

gOzn4.png

Zidane returns to Treno and thanks to the new stellazio, Zidane gets 30,000 gil, JOY!!!

YLhnF.png
O7aGJ.png
noEIh.png

Zidane tries to kill a monster in the armory and thanks to his weapon's power, it's petrified quickly. And another pair of Hermes boots is adquired. That reminds me of something...

96fSM.png

Quina gets Limit Glove from the mandragoras in the nearby forest.

CwmHl.png
CvVMj.png
EUE3R.png

The party returns to Quan's cave and Quina imagines delicious dishes. Omnomnom.

Vh3vf.png
XZMGd.png
R3j6C.png

Quina, Quale, Quan and Vivi reunite again!

SfBjf.png
e9tWk.png

Quan soon realizes that Vivi still has the same height (Does he still want to eat him?). Quan must leave again, as his remaining memories vanish. Zidane doesn't understand anything, logical.

SgqZi.png

More Hermes boots rain from the heavens after the dialogue is over.

Crisis core battles was a decent game. It's too bad the difficulty either made the game a cakewalk, or a grind. I would have liked a mode where enemies have low HP but high attack. Short but hard battles. Not short and stupid easy, or just boringly long (and sometimes hard).

CorvoSol

Oh man, I've got a feeling that your Let's Play is going to make me really lament the lack of Crisis Core on the PSN. And also, the fact that my new game plus save file got corrupted somehow. D-:

I am honestly excited to start Crisis Core and finish 6. I think I'm sick or something, because I KNOW 6 is the better game. Or at least the better plot.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Whaaaat? They don't got CC on PSN? Weird since they got so many other FFs up there! If FFVII always topping the PS1 download charts is any indication, they're throwing lotsa money away by not putting this up! And how does a save file manage to get corrupted o.o?

Crisis core battles was a decent game. It's too bad the difficulty either made the game a cakewalk, or a grind.
I dun remember it being a cakewalk on my first Normal playthrough! Getting down to low HP is easy and I'm bad at dodging/gaurding. And I'm alil slow with using the battle menu to select stuff >.<

I am honestly excited to start Crisis Core and finish 6. I think I'm sick or something, because I KNOW 6 is the better game. Or at least the better plot.
I'm sure VI has the better story even if you're not a total VII fangirl but the gameplay in it did nothing for me so I only ever made it to almost the end. Thanks to this thread I get ta know how it ends without having ta slog through it myself! CC's way for fun to play by miles however!

CorvoSol

I'm sure VI has the better story even if you're not a total VII fangirl but the gameplay in it did nothing for me so I only ever made it to almost the end. Thanks to this thread I get ta know how it ends without having ta slog through it myself! CC's way for fun to play by miles however!

As the spiritual predecessor to FFT-0 it is great, but the story is a stark reminder that, while Nomura is Square's genius, even he has his flops.

I like 6's gameplay, but I confess that I no longer enjoy grinding of any sort, and 6 is one of those games that makes me grind. I don't no how I did it for TAY when I couldn't tolerate it in 5, considering 5 is the better game.

EDIT: I'll be updating with some big fat Type-0 Spoilers tonight, as I'm about to finish my 4th playthrough. Just a word of warning and all.

Crisis Core is just weirdly addicting, you know? I'm not really a huge VII fan and I couldn't put CC down.

Whaaaat? They don't got CC on PSN? Weird since they got so many other FFs up there! If FFVII always topping the PS1 download charts is any indication, they're throwing lotsa money away by not putting this up! And how does a save file manage to get corrupted o.o?
There's a ton of SQEX PSP games that aren't up on the PSN and it's not really clear why. I think the rumor w/CC is that there's licensing issues, but KH Birth by Sleep, both Star Oceans, the FF I and II remakes (in North America) and Valkyrie Profile aren't up there either. It sucks. :-(

EDIT: Oh, and idk how my saves got corrupted. Happened after a PSP firmware update once - a few of my files were busted afterward and my endgame CC was one of them. It sort of kills my desire to replay it right quick whenever I start to get the urge - I really don't want to start over from scratch, but I don't want to use a file that's not my own either. Alas.

Psxphile

Grand Lethal is called Luminaria in the Spanish version, which means Luminaire. You know, like that magic that Crono uses in Chrono Trigger. It seems someone was a fan of CT, or they thought Gran Letal was stupid.

Serge from Chrono Cross also has that magic (or Tech, rather). He also uses the "swallow" weapon type.

Yeah...

CorvoSol

FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0

All characters Level 99!!! I don't have stats because it's practically midnight. Suffice it to say that at level 99, with all their Gilgamesh Weapons, the Class is essentially unstoppable. I did not try Tower of Agito, but I did stomp Gilgamesh and Dark Suzaku, so yeah.

I did my two favorite missions, which are incidentally the final missions of the second playthrough:
storming a Concordian Island Fortress and playing as L'Cie Machina during Suzaku's invasion of Byakko.
The latter makes me feel so badass and sold me on that character.

I can safely say that I believe that, while perhaps not the most evil, nor the most powerful, Cid Aulstyne is, to me, the single most disgusting, pathetic, miserable, and cowardly villain in the series. He starts out talking real big, commits atrocities like
dropping a nuclear bomb on Lorica
and is shown as a man who, while harsh and extremist, is still someone you might expect to simply be on the wrong side of the line. But when
it becomes clear that he's lost his war on the world, he throws the mother of all hissy fits and triggers the end of the world. Gala, the Lulusath Judge and possible Fal'Cie pretty much explains how all his Anti-Crystal dogma has come to naught, and then, in the most cowardly move of all time, Aulstyne offs himself rather than work for the monster he himself summoned. Gala opts to not rob the player of this opportunity, though, and revives him as its slave.

I have a love hate relationship with the final dungeon. The music is great, the aesthetic awesome, and I adore
multi-party dungeons.
But the fact that, going through it at level 99 was just as hard as going through at level 49 bothers me. The enemies are just as cheap as they were the first time around, and there are certain parts which are beyond my comprehension how the player is to succeed without luck on his/her side. Namely
Suzaku's Challenge. How does one keep those two alive before the Lulusath Knights maul them?
There's also the fact that
Gilgamesh is hardest in the final dungeon. Harder even than when you fight him solo as Machina or when you fight him with all 8 of his arms. This is because of the missiles that keep falling down on you. It makes you wonder: Why did Cid order them to bomb Lorica after he'd already nuked it?

The ending is something else. I beat both this game and XIII-2 in the same night
so I was pretty sad by the night's end. I mean, two games in a row where the MC doesn't make it?
HOWEVER,
The bonus or, as I call it, TRUE ending is probably one of my favorites in the series. The scenes tying the two (three) endings together really makes this one of the most endearing cases of Earn Your Happy Ending I've ever played.

It goes without saying that I am a huge fan of this game. I've beaten it 4 times now. I have my complaints but really, on the whole, this is the best FF that's come out in quite some time, and the true champion of the FNC thus far.

Heropon

DnxCh.png
UWsn7.png

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy Origins - Airship Theme / Final Fantasy Origins - Chaos Temple

I didn't post any FF music in my playthrough, so I use this update to put some. We knew the first victims in Zidane's crazy plan of doing the elemental temples at the same time were the girls. Let's analize their sinergy: White magic everywhere so there aren't many possibilities of wipe out and if that weren't enough, the Bahamut summon animation helps auto-regen a lot. About the damage, Madeen, Holy and Bahamut can obliterate anything. I'm pretty sure they'll be fine.

kQwrS.png
uxpwr.png
GSEfy.png

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy Origins - Mt. Gulg

Freya and Amarant are chosen to go to the volcano because they're pretty tough. Analysis: They're pretty good in the damage department but they lack in the healing one. Ultrapotions are rubbish right now and Chakra has about the same curing power. Let's trust in auto-regen, but their attacks don't have very long animations.

f6MV8.png
NoM8e.png

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy Origins - Floating Castle

Vivi takes care of Steiner, but has to hide behind him because the wind. Analysis: In the damage department Steiner has Shock and the Ragnarok and Vivi has Flare, so that's pretty awesome. In the healing department, with some elemental absorbing armor, Vivi can act as the white mage. Knowing that Steiner doesn't have auto-regen that's a must.

jNYcb.png
bMbfQ.png
NyCcq.png

TIzmP.gif
Consecutive Battles

And the last two are Zidane and Quina. Their damage output is terrible compared to the others and their healing is pretty meh, but who needs more when auto-regen cures a lot and White Wind can be used when in danger?

Let's see some rankings:
Damage output: Vivi and Steiner > Eiko and Garnet > Amarant and Freya > Zidane and Quina
Survivability: Eiko and Garnet > Vivi and Steiner > Zidane and Quina > Amarant and Freya
Overall: Same as survability

Eiko and Garnet's damage output shouldn't be that far from Steiner's and Vivi's so they place first thanks to the auto-regen support. Zidane and Quina place higher than the other two thanks to Quina's versatility.

Zidane and Quina have to overcome some naughty traps. What would be of ancient temples without their classic traps?

BNQsy.png
uSdyb.png
vxGq2.png

The girls have to dodge some ice. Thanks to their evading capabilities they do it easily. Time to put the mirrors and exit this place!

KHltn.png
CWjPl.png
oyUrh.png

Not so fast, as there are some bosses guarding the place. This zombie guy is like Pikachu, it has lost weight between the first game and this, congratulations!

2UiZa.png
pR1Bb.png

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy - Battle / Origins

Boss battle 21, Earth Guardian (aka Lich): Zidane learns to steal in this battle and gets the items. This really surprised me.

Qpi2n.png
Z92pB.png

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy Origins - Boss Battle Theme A

Oh, no! He's going to wipe me out with an earthquake! But that's nothing a well placed Gaia gear can't solve.

bZGrJ.png
MM0zm.png

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy - Victory Fanfare

When enough damage is done, Quina eats it. It was all bone but she learns Earth Shake at least! Everyone has done their missions well and reunite in the airship.

PeFmO.png
tSLST.png

Extra: Oh, Cleyra :(
And the frog count is at 72 before Terra.

CorvoSol

Yeah, I was going to update last night until I started feeling really tired and couldn't finish the writeup. Might do an update today if I finish a report early.

School/work!
2ob1Z.gif

I feel your pain on that one.

Reddas is only 33?

Wat.

and Sazh is only 40. Later FFs had younger "old men". I don't think I'd count Cyan as old, though. At 50 you're definitely standing outside the door marked "old" but you don't really cross that line till 60 for me.

Psxphile

I really hated that you couldn't tackle the other elemental dungeons with the split groups. You don't even get to fight the other Guardians until the final dungeon.

Also, holy crap: I didn't know Lich was consumable. One wouldn't expect a boss to be an ingredient for Blue Magic in this game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
You&#8217;re going to get two for the price of one cuz I didn&#8217;t post in a week, but I&#8217;ll space them out. Last time, we listened to some nasty music and got rid of a dark elf.

Let&#8217;s check on Bolton because he saved our butts.

B4OFc.gif
Troian Beauty

lpEvl.png

I had to cross-reference with the GBA script for a minute there because nothing about this exchange made sense to me. Indeed, Batman says, &#8220;Thank you for your help, Bolton&#8221; in the GBA version rather than this &#8220;It&#8217;s you, Bolton!&#8221; nonsense.

jb2BN.png
xnaSh.png

So basically Bolton learned the tune when he was at a convention where he cosplayed as a fairy to learn about how to tie up what he likes to call &#8220;evil fairies&#8221;.

That&#8217;s, uh, too much info.

Anyway, Bolton pulls a stitch or something and makes it seem like he&#8217;s going to die because of that.

xq21b.png
ipDUg.png

&#8220;I&#8217;ll take yours, too!&#8221; What does that even refer to? D:

You guys can feel free to come up with what Abe will take from Bolton. His lunch money? His hat? Bolton&#8217;s life, because Abe knows that Bolton totally did it with Anna a lot? His pretty, pretty hair?

Well, uh, at least they&#8217;re getting along now? Abe is now a 1.2-dimensional character. Most of it goes towards the &#8220;DIE GOLBEZ DIE&#8221; department, though.

mORM3.png

And we are done with Bolton&#8217;s entire story arc for the rest of the game. It&#8217;s incredibly underwhelming, to be honest with you. Well, he&#8217;s supposed to be dead in the realm outside of Batman&#8217;s dream, but Batman gave him a pretty lacklustre ending because it wasn&#8217;t really a hands-on approach and ended up being a little lame because he wasn&#8217;t there himself&#8230; and he&#8217;s bedridden because he tripped and fell down on a ship.

So what purpose did Bolton serve in the story? He&#8217;s sort of known in politics and King of Fabul knew him. He hides a lot. He tripped twice before Final Fantasy IV ended. He tripped once and fell on his face in Batman&#8217;s Dying Dream. His arc ends with him playing his harp to produce shitty music that the elf doesn&#8217;t like from miles away.

Meh. I think it&#8217;s a sucky way to end his arc. His arc and character in The After Years are so much better than what they were here.

gyCT9.png
LIkED.png

Everyone is happy we got the crystal back! YAY. Even the purplish-blue is happy!

SP52t.png

It&#8217;s like a reality show where they&#8217;re giving us orders.

&#8220;Batman, dawg, I&#8217;m watching you on TV! Gimme a shoutout!&#8221;

By the way, if you have anything to buy, you probably should have done it before talking to the clerics. Now your only alternative is to use a Black Chocobo to get around.

GOcyb.png
gZUw6.png

Haha, they think they&#8217;re getting their crystal back. We&#8217;re &#8220;borrowing&#8221; the crystal to give it to [the best character in this game] in exchange for beer.

I&#8217;d say it&#8217;s a good investment.

iqHlf.png

Why hasn&#8217;t this come up before in the game? No, seriously. This is a legitimate question. It is only now that we were told that the crystals influence the environment that they&#8217;re around. This becomes a bigger deal in Final Fantasy V, but here, it barely seems to matter. Now they increase the power for those who possess them (which was implied at the beginning of the game during Baron&#8217;s crusade against other nations), possibly may grant &#8220;everlasting life&#8221;, and now the crystals are stupid and blindly believe others. But this only is made known to the player halfway through FF4 proper, and it&#8217;s only in passing. I think it undermines the power of the crystals in this game to be honest and makes the player focus their attention on the macro affairs of the game.

The crystals at this point seem to merely be there to serve as a means to designate who are the bigger powers in the world.

0G6YY.png
5WSBU.png
qWKVx.png

OMG!
4a6LA.gif

Our Halloween Haul includes:

2 Cure2s
2 Heals
2 Ether 1s
2 Ether 2s
2 Elixirs
2000 GP
1 GreatBow
20 Fire Arrows
10 Lit Arrows
20 Ice Arrows.

Not bad.

vlSJd.png
UeckE.png
1a6AM.png
yiL2N.png

Why are we going up? Are we going into space?

Golbez has the capabilities of going into space and making his headquarters there. No wonder we had to fight Milon twice. He threw his staff down at the planet and screamed MAKE MY MONSTER GROW or some variant, and we had to fight Milon twice.

1ZHjD.png
qV0Ti.png

B4OFc.gif
Somewhere in the World

Am&#8230; I the only one who thinks this place looks off? Did Tommy end up taking us on a spin in his DeLorean and somehow made us wind up in the futuristic version of Mars? What the hell is this.

4o0zD.png
iLDJA.png
A6HpC.png

B4OFc.gif
Tower of Zot

Golbez is going to make Batman work even longer for his beer. Because he&#8217;s an asshole. :D

So now that we&#8217;re in space or future Mars or whatever, we get to see what a map in the future looks like. I can&#8217;t show it off, but Golbez seems to have strung up his own brand of Christmas lights in here. Sometimes you see blue glows, yellow glows, and red glows. They fade so you see one at a time. Well, it&#8217;s more entertaining than the same caves we&#8217;ve been in an out of because map diversity wasn&#8217;t a thing yet.

Oh. Keep in the mind that we&#8217;re high in the sky or in space. Or something. Remember how we fought on a mountain filled with the Undead, or how we fought underneath Baron in the water passage? Ok.

gwKFM.png
02OrB.png
Hy8dY.png
5AJNY.png

CAtXz.gif
Sigma Harmonics &#8211; Hope Given ~Dance of the Dog&#8217;s Howl~

The enemies in this tower, if you have been playing the game naturally and didn&#8217;t wander around anywhere, might feel like a jump in difficulty. Luckily most of them are weak against some sort of magic.

It&#8217;s just too bad that Abe sucks at casting magic.

Fell Turtles (not pictured) are weak against Ice. Ice Lizards, Frostbeasts, Marionettes, and Slimes are weak against Fire. We could grind Marions and Puppets if we really wanted to because if we kill all of the Puppets on the field, Marions will summon more. Puppets are worth 800 XP each and are weak against Fire.

Gremlins are kind of rare in other versions but I had little problems finding them here. They like to cast Charm. A lot. Kill them off fast. SwordMans (SwordMan 2, SwordMan3, SwordMan4&#8230; basically, the plural of SwordMan is SwordMan #, ok GAF?) are actually undead enemies. They&#8217;re weak against Fire and Holy. You can throw cures and stuff at it to make it go away, or you can hit it with the Fire Sword. EpeeGirls are unremarkable. They physically hit things. In the DS version they can counterattack, but they&#8217;re meh here. Centaurs are also unremarkable.

Yes. We did have to waste Ether1s on Abe. Do you know the funniest thing, though? Batman isn&#8217;t that great at White Magic yet he has way more MP than Abe.

XffjQ.png
WeGOx.png

We get to fight a hot dog for his Fire Sword. Cast ice on him to cool him down in one blow.

yGIZr.png
8U3bf.png

Donnie ended up charming the Marion so he ended up casting Fatal on himself to end his life. And in the second shot we encountered a new enemy, the Witch. They cast Fast, Slow, Mute. They especially like to cast Slow. They can get done-in easily, though.

VDXtJ.png
EIHMJ.png

We get the Earth wrench for Haddock. Obviously it&#8217;s an Earth elemental weapon, and increases attack by 11 but when used as an item, it casts Quake.

A spell Abe can&#8217;t even use.

LOL, Abe.

mwkIR.png

This is the first time I&#8217;ve used a Cabin in this playthrough. Cabins heal everyone up to max, and revives members who are swooned in your party. So, considering I was killing off party members in an attempt for them to stop gaining XP, you can imagine that I mostly used Tents even though they certainly are not as effective as Cabins.

Irr0Q.png
gbism.png
B4C6T.png
KMXTL.png

It&#8217;s like they&#8217;re members of a 1990s pop group or something where all of them have names and in the music video they introduce each of them by showing their names and their wacky personalities dictated by clothing and a small edited scene of them doing something cool.

Delta Attack? Pfft, Chrono Trigger does this better (Guardian / Flea, Slash, Ozzie). Hell, the Delta Force is better but that goes without saying. It&#8217;s a combination spell, not this gimmicky reflective bs.

guy1X.png
TFR4I.png
WfUIS.png

CAtXz.gif
Final Fantasy X-2 &#8211; I&#8217;ll Give You Something Hot!

So, the fight goes like this: the girls spend a few rounds setting up the attack leaving you open to damage them anyway. When I was younger, I had a lot of trouble with this boss, but once you know what to do, it&#8217;s smooth sailing.

Generally, Sandy&#8217;s the one who casts support spells/White Magic. Cindy hits things. And Mindy casts Black Magic. The normal idea is to get rid of the White Magic caster, then go all out on the other two. You can&#8217;t do that with this boss because Cindy revives the other two. That means you have to go after Cindy first. The problem with that is that she gets Wall cast on her every few rounds while they set up the Delta Attack.

The Delta Attack is basically their &#8220;unite attack&#8221; (hey you know what would be cool if final fantasy set up unite attacks and combo attacks between party members more frequently that would be cool) where Sandy casts Wall on Cindy, Cindy physically attacks a party member, and Mindy casts a Tier-2 spell on Cindy which reflects off of her and onto a party member.

ChcNa.png
0SFPN.png

It&#8217;s a good thing that Sandy constantly casts Wall so that it bounces off Cindy and onto one of your allies, then. Use Virus or some Tier-3 spell on the walled member, and physical attacks on Cindy, to wreck their shit. This version dummied out the Dispel spell so we have to do it the hard way.

XbH6W.png

Abe likes to celebrate the event of beating up bosses by stripping off his equipment.

Because he rolls that way.

Next Time: GETTING DIZZY.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Eh, they were originally one post anyway until I had to split it up, so I might as well stick both updates one right after the other. BTW, Lindsay, is the title from your first entry from Fate/Zero? IIRC, the second episode was called "False Start". Could also come from Robotech.

A post above we took on a popular K-pop group and won. Abe celebrated by stripping his armour.

Now we're definitely going to get some beer!

B4OFc.gif
Golbez, Clad in Darkness

06hX4.png
MVNWK.png

How could he hurt the precious beer when all you can do is drink it?

ODHVi.png
qO3Mt.png

KuGsj.gif

Once he got his hands on the Crystal of Earth, its power gave Golbez a mere bout of amnesia where he forgot what Beer was.

Somehow, Batman and his Band of Doofs are utterly surprised by this but we know that they&#8217;re all a bunch of naïve nutcases who cannot stand up to Golbez&#8217;s awesome power.

I9InR.png

oh god why

bi7Mu.png
DcdVD.png
NVKju.png

Abe ends up casting a bunch of spells that he sucks at casting (ex: Virus, Fire 3) and they don&#8217;t work well. Golbez laughs in his face.

Rightfully so.

5B3ya.png
WVWsq.png
NK5dy.png

You don&#8217;t have enough MP for this shit, you fool! You wasted more than you had without using an Ether1 like we had to do halfway through this dungeon because you couldn&#8217;t pull your own weight!

foWQ4.gif
No! Don&#8217;t!

YtJ8a.gif
It&#8217;ll destroy you!

MHVbf.png
ZBeWB.png
f5VnZ.png

Meteo happens to cause 9999 damage.

What a shame. We could have used that if Abe weren&#8217;t useless.

2RiuI.png
v0mYt.png

Does this mean that Golbez is dead?

kOXvH.png

Well, no. Golbez is still standing, and Abe is dead. Because Golbez > x 1000 Abe.

Meteo has several consequences:
1. Do you see how pissed Golbez is?
2. Tommy is now swooned and on the floor.
3. Abe is dead you guys

jrCkm.png
3fBCq.png

I think Golbez was getting tired of Tommy&#8217;s moaning and groaning anyway!

Ag5d2.png
yKrMf.png
5ddcK.png

FINISH HIM.

It&#8217;s funny seeing Batman take some initiative here because he usually stands there, watches, and does nothing to help the situation. I mean, he knows Cure and Cure 2 but he sucks at them so obviously he can&#8217;t heal Abe. Too bad he doesn&#8217;t know Life1!

B4OFc.gif
Suspicion

DNPQL.png
RtzdI.png

Dammit, Golbez. You have the power to end this. What the hell is Batman trying to do in his dream? The Golbez we know would have ended him quickly.

Maybe Golbez doesn&#8217;t care anymore. Batman&#8217;s merely an alcoholic paladin so he doesn&#8217;t pose much of a threat. He doesn&#8217;t need the Tower of Zot anymore either so he leaves for another hideout.

QmoZP.png
Z77hS.png

I swear that I&#8217;ve seen this error a few times during this game (ex: capitalizing the second word in the sentence for no reason).

hZSbp.png
uChvZ.png

This was the game&#8217;s attempt to teach a Life Lesson&#8482; to the player. Remember how the voice on the mountain kept telling Batman that violence wasn&#8217;t the only answer? This was the game&#8217;s way of showing the player that this is where anger, vengeance, hate, and violence gets them. Being consumed by hate gets you nowhere, and that was drilled into Batman&#8217;s skull during his Paladin trial.

In the end, Abe was an angry, bitter, hate-filled old man&#8212;nearly one-dimensional. His character was supposed to contrast with everyone else. Even though he was a horrible playable character in battle.

Ad9w3.png
sEDBC.png

Haddock is the best.

av4bV.png
HjU1P.png

&#8230;to what?

&#8230;Don&#8217;t answer that. I don&#8217;t want to know what Tommy had planned for Beer. At all.

r8HQ7.png
akEUE.png
Hqms8.png

Nice timing, Batman. Right as the bowling ball (wtf, a bowling ball in this version&#8230; hahaha) was about to crush the keg into a pile of nothing.

pr2oN.png
kwB6s.png
GInTQ.png

B4OFc.gif
Theme of Love

Eww. Batman&#8217;s making out with a keg. Who knows where it&#8217;s been!

Actually, they took a frame of animation out here in this version. They kiss in other versions. Here they just hug. Because kissing is gross and you can get cooties from kissing!

2eQPL.png
sGucJ.png

I can only imagine how tight and icky that embrace is. Gross!

9vV48.png
oroWj.png
zgbNn.png

foWQ4.gif
Fuck you, bro. How dare you sip some of my beer? You&#8217;ve tainted it now.

So as we all guessed, Tommy just wanted Batman to share Beer with him. I mean, is that too much to ask? But seriously, in this version, it seems as though Batman doesn&#8217;t forgive Tommy in the slightest and all the dialogue from here on out is disingenuous.

QHoDy.png
dKz0T.png
6au8m.png

Exactly. Haddock knows what&#8217;s going on. And Batman just wants Tommy as the Green Ranger, not as a friend. Tommy&#8217;s honour as a friend has been besmirched in general terms, so Batman just wants a co-worker. That&#8217;s what he gets for trying to steal Batman&#8217;s beer.

It&#8217;s Batman&#8217;s dream, so whatever.

8JIJ1.png

Even if we&#8217;d played the game for 32 hours so far, she&#8217;d still be alive. Don&#8217;t bs me, game.

6NtBN.png
3IHuF.png
NOmGF.png
iPkJl.png

Both Beer and Tommy will join around Batman&#8217;s level, but with Tommy being a little above that. Tommy comes equipped with a Wind Spear, and I&#8217;m going to keep that equipped because the Drain Spear, and I&#8217;ll get into that in the next entry, has an effect that may or may not be helpful to the player depending on his/her playstyle.

Beer is half-naked, so we have to use the equipment that Abe left + the new Wizard Robe we picked up. She also managed to somehow learn new spells while she was all tied up and at Tommy and Golbez&#8217;s mercy. Somehow. I don&#8217;t know.

Alright, we got everything we need so let&#8217;s try to Exit out of here.

83b10.png

Exit out of here.

Now.

Why won&#8217;t you let me use Exit, game?!

IlHWB.png
FiwdV.png

Why is everything so green in this part of the game? I miss the Evil Purple. Remember how cool the Evil Purple was?

6AOfy.png
i43e9.png

Valvalis? Well, Barbariccia won&#8217;t fit, but where did Valvalis come from? I can&#8217;t find an instance of that. The only thing I see this coming from is the B/V conversion from Japanese. So, like, you know where in Dragonball where Vegeta is called &#8220;Bejita&#8221; in Japanese? Similarly, it was translated from &#12496;&#12523;&#12496;&#12522;&#12471;&#12450; (Barubarishia) and &#12496; (&#8220;ba&#8221;) is written as &#8220;va&#8221; without looking at the etymology of the name (and because of character limits, they could only fit up to &#12496;&#12523;&#12496;&#12522;&#12471; (Barubarishi) in the enemy name slot. In Japanese, V is usually called &#12502;&#12452; (&#8220;bui&#8221;). The reason behind this is because there is no voiced labial fricative (so think of your mouth&#8230; labiodental usually refers to your lips + teeth, frications means that you restrict air from passing at the area of articulation, which in this case is the lips&#8230; so when you make a &#8216;v&#8217; sound, your top teeth somewhat comes into contact with your bottom lip, your vocal cords vibrate when air passes through them, and air flow is constricted by your lip/teeth). They do have the character &#12532; (vu) to try to supply the sound but in pronunciation it won&#8217;t sound accurate to the actual /v/ sound.

As for &#12523; (ru) / &#12522;(ri) -> &#8216;l&#8221;, I think a lot of people are familiar with r/l stuff in Japanese.

So yeah, that&#8217;s how they came up with Valvalis, imo.

XQnC1.png

I love how they call it &#8220;The Meteo&#8221;. Either it&#8217;s a dance or a lovely lovely alcoholic drink. Considering that Abe can&#8217;t dance, it&#8217;s probably a drink.

Txe3R.png
HbN9W.png

So&#8230; we&#8217;re casting Float for this boss?

Hey guys remember when I said last update to remember that&#8217;s we&#8217;re in the sky? This is the next fiend!

8IgJI.png
7qydN.png
ZngTp.png

CAtXz.gif
The Dreadful Fight (Dissidia: Final Fantasy Edition)

Alternatively, and I said I would sneak this in somehow, right?

CAtXz.gif
Sonic Free Riders - Free (Crush 40 Edition)

Valvalis has a lovely little gimmick: she likes to make PCs dizzy. So dizzy, in fact, that a nameless PC yells for Tommy to jump. A lot. So Tommy&#8217;s going to spend the entire fight jumping on her head, while the rest of us do whatever. By the way, in the SNES version you can still hit her while she&#8217;s making people dizzy, even if she has a high EVA stat. In other versions, you always miss with your spells and attacks. She&#8217;ll also cast Weak and Ray (which is gradual petrify) in her dizzy form.

This boss isn&#8217;t hard as long as you keep jumping on her head, avoiding people getting completely stoned, and making sure that Donnie is Berserked because that&#8217;s the only way he fights now.

And Barbariccia, as you may guess, also comes from Dante's Inferno. Her name means "curly beard", rooted in Italian barba and Latin barba, and Italian riccia/riccio (btw, relevant-- I've seen that riccio can mean hedgehog in some contexts).

qXzZB.png
etncR.png

Wait, there&#8217;s one more of you but you want us to die along with the Tower of Zot?

Make up your damn mind on how you want us to die.

18FQ8.png
oCsl6.png
zBamD.png

Why is it working now?!

13kuu.png

Don&#8217;t you mean &#8220;where are we&#8221;? This game seems to phrase questions oddly quite often. Half the time, I wonder if PCs and NPCs are blind.

gW40j.png
dGwoq.png
eedoK.png

B4OFc.gif
Suspicion

Hey guys, let&#8217;s play a game. Every single time you see the word &#8220;crystal&#8221; mentioned in these screens, take a shot.

7qZk1.png
nr7w7.png

Why the hell won&#8217;t this game bloody end?!

py8q3.png
AKEws.png

This is what we like to call &#8220;padding&#8221;. Bullshit padding. Eight crystals. By the way, how many sips have you guys taken already?

YHQIX.png
UDJXf.png

Tommy just said that, Batman. Get a fucking grip.

And, uh, what does Haddock mean by &#8220;The crystals of this world are of Light and of open side&#8221;, anyway? This sounds incredibly bad even though I kinda &#8216;get&#8217; what they are trying to say. Saying &#8220;the surface&#8221; would have been better.

rn54y.png
VTM8N.png

They really want us to get wasted here, huh? It&#8217;s like they&#8217;re trying to pound the idea of there being extra crystals into your head because the dialogue doesn&#8217;t have to be this plentiful at all.

DmL83.png
7fHgC.png

Now you&#8217;re just making shit up, Batman. This is bullshit.

This game can end right now and Golbez will rightfully be the victor because I&#8217;m sure he isn&#8217;t as batshit. And he&#8217;s alive. Batman&#8217;s dead.

s08cK.png
UE7W4.png

Haddock gets this. This is stupid. (I always thought the &#8220;dig a hole&#8221; comment was hilarious because it speaks to what I think of this entire scenario.)

Wait. What was this? Way to the Moon? So we're supposed to collect all of the Nijizuishou to make the magic Ginzuishou now? Because Batman is Sailor Venus or Sailor Moon?

I&#8217;m done, GAF.

LMSQg.png
6HTev.png

it doesn&#8217;t burn your hands or anything feel free to touch it what do you mean this shit is dangerous and will burn your hands clear off

what do you mean 800 degrees celsius that doesn&#8217;t kill normal people

0ahZ8.png
dliBK.png
iyLmH.png

It&#8217;s probably under the pile of rubble that was the Tower of Zot.

QNefU.png
H65yu.png

REMOTE CONTROL!?

I oh god my brain why wtf

You shouldn&#8217;t even&#8230; remote control? When I was younger, I read a science book about the evolution of technology, and I recall remote controls being developed by Tesla in the late 1800s/almost early 1900s. Then some other guy controlled a robot with it in the early 1900s. Then we get to RC airplanes in the 1930s. The test ground for RC stuff was World War II. Glider history goes as far back as Greece in the BCE. Then we get to some of the good stuff during the middle ages and the Renaissance. Then we get into stuff in the late 1700s/1800s. Powered flight, which I suppose is what airships qualify under, didn&#8217;t even start until the 1900s, and the test ground was World War 1.

Do you see what I&#8217;m getting at here? Airships are still in their infancy, the rest of the world is in medieval times, and we&#8217;re talking about remote control? Golbez is the only dude with futuristic tech. Tech build-up is pretty quick during wartime, it seems.

Which means that Golbez probably gave Cid RC tech.

Which means that Golbez wins.

Even so, this story has lost me.

M75VK.png
Nv35v.png

Doesn&#8217;t Haddock have a magic drill somewhere considering he has remote control? Or hey, we could use the Earth wrench of his to cast Quake dozens of times&#8230;

2mXzY.png

Why can&#8217;t you finish this game off, then? Honestly, this game has gone on too long now, and Batman&#8217;s way of extending it is to make the story objectives batshit insane.

I06PT.png

I&#8217;m leaving.

Next Time: It&#8217;s Sonic Underground.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It was also called Sonic le Rebelle (and I think SonicGAF hates this version of the song more, lol).

Sega originally contacted DiC to make a Sonic cartoon in the lead-up to Sonic Adventure's release in 1999. That cartoon ended up being Sonic Underground / Sonic le Rebelle. As you can imagine, it wasn't popular and it was cancelled after one season. There's more conversation about it in this amazing old thread.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Ah, found the German version of the intro. They did show it here, but that was in 2001, I guess I was already too old back then to have seen it.
Now that you made me watch this video, I have to say the Russian intro is easily the best.

Heropon

I could have done this update earlier, but the Bayonetta 2 thread was golden. My first meltdown/whatever thread in NeoGAF.

LHZxE.png
6PfTd.png
r8Ryk.png

B4OFc.gif
Final Fantasy IV - Lunar Whale

We're going to another planet! Which seems to be underground... My theory is that the Shimmering Island is like a barrier so the Gayans can't use a drill to get to Terra.

HLDF7.png
nLQS9.png

Zidane lands safely after being transported, like in the Evil Forest... Ah, he was already dead so a simply fall wasn't going to kill him.

iUGW5.png
DOwqp.png
lC1Gv.png

Zidane doesn't know it, but this ugly geezer is pretty much the boss in here, and with just those two sentences one suspects that Zidane must be from here. I choo-choo-chooose you: Vivi, Steiner and Eiko. Maybe they aren't the best and all of that but I love them because they're effective and I used them in my first playthrough (Now that I think about it, this is the classic FF1 group).

SXCi7.png
AQTOB.png
7YKaK.png

TIzmP.gif
Terra

All the music in this place, along the Terran locations in the Gayan surface, is inspired in A Place to Call Home. Hope you don't call this place home, Zidane, because you'll never return. Zidane keeps chasing girls, but this time he doesn't want SQUARE ENIX with them.

bRYmU.png
vvk4P.png

Woohoo, a dragon armlet! That teaches Long Jump, but I never use jump, so it's for completionism. The enemy is weak against... <.< ... >.> I don't know, kill it fast!

8MwYv.png
47xGf.png
BpyUM.png

Oh, movers, I know you from FFV and FFVII what will they give me? 199AP? 2000AP? Their weakness is light! Use Hama Holy skills. And the reward is... 3AP!? It seems I forgot about FFVI Movers, they weren't particularly generous either.

t0KLY.png
lQSm2.png
Y7gVK.png

There must be some kind of spider near here. Vivi uses Bart's Comet and obviously fails.

lfYi9.png
D0AkK.png
IyBSz.png

The girl says I don't know anything. It's obvious what's happening. Do I look like an idiot? You're one of Zidane's fangirls and that's why you look like him. Look, another famous enemy that's weak to Holy.

v8cmr.png
EhGML.png
VDu3A.png

TIzmP.gif
The Soulless Village Bran Bal

The party reachs the capital and Garnet sees the ship that destroyed Madain Sari, Alexandria and her mothers and faints. So weak, it isn't reason enough to go fainting like that.

flmcP.png
nPKVC.png
gv83s.png

Zidane sees more fanboys and starts acting strange. He's really shy in reality.

ANnVm.png
vrz1o.png
CCa21.png

I know this thing, it must be a magic pot... No, only a moogle. What is a moogle doing here? And selling Gayan weapons!? They must be using the mogura part of their name and dig their way to this world. If drills were better in Gaya, the party could have reached this place without doing all those dungeons. These weapons are even better than in the surface!

q2Lpe.png
Vrqq1.png

Stilzkin is here too and sells a diamond for less than 2222 gil. In Gaya the precious stones are worth very little because they're like everywhere. The most expensive things are common sense and silex. Zidane tries to expand the Mognet to this place.

U13F0.png
uwYyY.png

Zidane understands everything: He's one of them, one of them... and has to follow the girl.

PxsWF.png
6LBfZ.png
WK9wo.png

Eiko wants to find Zidane, Quina licks rocks and Vivi asks questions. Everything is correct.

rSZHi.png
MdCFo.png
2OLvy.png

Amarant has seen Zidane going to the North, where he is told to go to the Pandemonium. Eiko follows him and finds the girl. Eiko has a revelation, Garland is like the name of a villain, you got it!

Wer42.png
48QDh.png
4FCtE.png

Garland explains lots of things like that Kuja is from here and how he's trying to replace the Sonic cycle with the Final Fantasy XIII cycle: Cool game presented -> Shitty friends appear ->... and all that, and Zidane was going to be the responsible of that by killing Sega!

osG5J.png
OrlXN.png

Zidane doesn't want to do it and swears to knock all the Terrans down. He'll be the Zerg Mastermind Angel of Death for them!

HhX4l.png
YP8bS.png

Garland isn't pleased and erases his soul. Ouch, another Game Over.

0Vph1.png

I wonder what Kuja's up to... Discover that in the next update, where the grand finale of this disc and one of the most moving scenes in the series await.

Heropon

TIzmP.gif
You're Not Alone

dDyA1.png
EW0zj.png
eeZOj.png

ZlDxL.png
DrNkU.png
1Frn9.png

Zidane wasn't dead after all, but seems much more unfriendly... And he even dares to talk bad to the kids.

ptzyO.png
PavOA.png

Enough...
Shut up...
Stop annoying me, little brats.
Kids just don't understand.
(I swear Vivi knows more than you about these things...)

F7cZS.png
CyQUP.png
Oih9J.png

Zidane encounters an enemy. He thinks he can defeat it alone again, but he can't cast Stone in it anymore because he doesn't have the petrifying weapon.
Freya and Amarant appear to help like the good friends they (now) are.

xZYGU.png
qhSVm.png

Defeated...

rRQJI.png
UWCyV.png

Zidane doesn't thank them and Amarant pretty much calls him hypocrite. Well done.

jkmzo.png
aaLEr.png
OOsHA.png

Quina and Steiner are fighting a giant insect just to protect their friends and Zidane doesn't help them at first.

BQblz.png
Xuu0v.png
fsihy.png

Shocking, Zidane enters the battle. Is he recovering his soul?

JmyyX.png
Zx6qf.png
oJTCg.png

And he even uses his Luminaire powers to kill it for good.

DO8cG.png
Wpq7e.png

Nothing yet...

2tTSQ.png
K1x91.png

Stop insulting them, you ******* idiot! Only I can say bad things about them.

5iYh9.png
UwUqI.png
9AgeC.png

The Terran version of the Adamantoise wants a fight and does earthquakes and hits Zidane. You're not capable of doing this alone, fool!

thq2s.png
uPxdF.png
6uBhB.png

Zidane's special girl saves him. Let's see if this works...

LmyKQ.png
WQPbk.png
i4RAt.png

Ohhhh, it works very well. He "recovers" his soul again. Like it's said: Dos tetas tiran más que dos carretas. If you want to know what that means, you have to search for it. My theory is that his life in Gaya with Tantalus and the party has transformed his soul and now Garland hasn't any control over it (apart from making Zidane think he doesn't have one for five minutes).

Jx1zO.png

The four go to see the rest of the party, that have been trapped thanks to emo Zidane. Luckily, he's as just always!

This scene made me cry the first time I played this game. I don't know why I was so sensitive, maybe it was the music...

I think this is a good time to end the update and do all the disc 3 end at once later.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I still love that Bran Bal section of the game if only for the music. Even if things start to get weird in that game, the art and presentation of that section are perfectly fine. I loooove the ATEs in that section too.

I once lent FFIX to a good friend of mine and it was their first FF. I think the whole "You're not alone!" section was their favourite bit.

I love reading your posts Dark Schala. <3
Thanks! I like typing them up! I try to make them engaging... >.>

Ah, found the German version of the intro. They did show it here, but that was in 2001, I guess I was already too old back then to have seen it.
Now that you made me watch this video, I have to say the Russian intro is easily the best.
Alright, that's the first time I've ever heard the Russian intro. The dude sounds really into it! Best version for life.

CorvoSol

Okay, so I just finished the Floating Continent, and a thought occurs to me: What the hell was Gestahl thinking? Seriously, Terra, who has been, you know, THE CORNERSTONE OF YOUR MILITARY MIGHT FOR 18 YEARS is standing RIGHT THERE and you say "Celes, you alone are special"? What? HELLO SHE ONLY KNEW CURE AND ICE BEFORE I PICKED HER UP. TERRA CAN FLY AND BLOW CRAP TO HELL. What's wrong with you?

My guess? Gestahl actually did believe that. He was an old man who may have loved Celes in a twisted and warped way similar to Cid Marquez. That or Kefka personally requested she be his bride, which is entirely possible. Gestahl finally had the Warring Triad within his grasp, and Terra was a reminder of every dirty thing he'd ever done to get there. Celes, on the other hand, was the pinnacle of all he had achieved. Where Kefka had gone mad and Leo was always bound to betray him, Celes was the perfect result of the world Gestahl had longed to build.

And hush DarkSchala, it isn't because Celes is the MC. Dissidia laid that to rest forever.

Gestahl's last line, though, is one of incredible impact. THE MAIN VILLAIN up until that point in the game, utterly defeated, moments from death, utters the phrase, "The world is about to learn the meaning of fear."

Gosh this game's writing is so damn good. If I ever meet the guy who wrote this, I'd shake his hand like a million times.

If I ever meet Toriyama I'd flip him the bird.

Heropon

SJWq3.png
kkQQc.png
SZuOP.png

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy II Origins - Castle Pandemonium

The music of this place is this song slowed down and I've already put it in another update. There's a holy miter in the throne. Ugh, I hate this place, a counter starts and if you touch a light, a fight begins and you have to start again.

sONda.png
kTTSR.png

There's a device to change the direction of the "elevator" in the next room. Is it a coincidence that this recurring monster that started appearing in FF2 is in this dungeon?

WKHuy.png
zjBMl.png

The direction 3 takes you to the money.

ZvDS2.png
dcTh6.png

And the direction 4 takes you to the next part of the dungeon.

TiXn3.png
K7tOm.png
Ej469.png

After using some teleporters Steiner gets the armor that teaches Auto-regen and the party officially launches the Mognet in Terra.

MEzIo.png
cB78q.png
vJg2S.png

Garland, you can't play psychological tricks again! After the typical all-group-talks speech, Garland calls upon his pet.

KTS00.png
YrTH4.png

Boss battle 22, Silver Dragon: Zidane steals everyhing like a good boy.

KzrQ0.png
W9TqE.png
2QqEe.png

After that, the party starts using the bombs and it faints.

sabpL.png
9G3tf.png
0Tz2C.png

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy Origins - Inside a Boss Battle

Boss battle 23, Garland: He wants to have absolute power and tries to kill my party. He likes to do kamehamehas...

lWskT.png
2Ckl5.png
YJSvN.png

...using telekinesis, flaring my characters and stopping little girls. Meanwhile, Zidane steals all his things and succeeds.

Lb8cC.png
3OUbk.png
yA5Y8.png

Then the rest of the party starts doing some damage and defeats the old man. Kuja is pleased.

11LMP.png
SgVbY.png

Kuja loves us, maybe he joins the party after all! Or not...

btP82.png
X2a34.png
Qt86Z.png

TIzmP.gif
Final Fantasy IV - Golbez, Clad in Dark

Boss battle 24, Kuja: He likes using gravity and Lightning.

zLWLC.png
O0iuF.png

While Zidane steals, Vivi focus to nuke Kuja later.

shYnV.png
dOtBJ.png
EIXyp.png

BARRAGE!

6lRtV.png

At last he is defeated!

HTZtC.png
p9zMv.png
94q9D.png

...Game Over. Is this the Final Fantasy with the most number of defeats?

OiTio.png
x7Pis.png
2Gt6D.png

Kuja used some souls to achieve trance, including Brahne's one. Then Kuja throws Gestahl Garland away from the Floating Continent
Just read your post, Corvo
place they're standing. But Garland is like a ghost and keeps talking, revealing a shocking truth to him: Kuja is going to die soon! Mwahahaha!

7D6tN.png
Fr2AU.png

Kuja doesn't allow the rest of the world to exist when he dies and starts destroying Terra.

01bLh.png
dpMvf.png
p9TG3.png

The party splits, Garnet and Zidane go to Bran Bal to save Zidane's fans and the others have to seize the Invincible.

x4J9w.png
333dQ.png
3zIAc.png

It seems that Zidane's major fan was a Death Angel too. They could kickstart a hard metal music disc. Everyone is saved because they follow the light, hehe.

Rg8R7.png
JC1co.png

Amarant thinks Kuja's next target is Gaya, but their problems don't end there, as the mist has returned and it's all over the world, even in elevated areas.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Apples...

Been meaning to ask this but whats going on with FFIX's world map? It looks like its straight outta FFVII. Like they thought they couldn't do VIII's graphics and just gave up?

As the spiritual predecessor to FFT-0 it is great, but the story is a stark reminder that, while Nomura is Square's genius, even he has his flops.
Type-0 plays like CC? Totally forgot about that game like over a year after trying the demo. Sounds worth looking into if it ever gets localized somewhere.

There's a ton of SQEX PSP games that aren't up on the PSN and it's not really clear why. I think the rumor w/CC is that there's licensing issues, but KH Birth by Sleep, both Star Oceans, the FF I and II remakes (in North America) and Valkyrie Profile aren't up there either. It sucks. :-(

EDIT: Oh, and idk how my saves got corrupted. Happened after a PSP firmware update once - a few of my files were busted afterward and my endgame CC was one of them. It sort of kills my desire to replay it right quick whenever I start to get the urge - I really don't want to start over from scratch, but I don't want to use a file that's not my own either. Alas.
Licensing issues with their own game?? I know SE's fallen this generation but that's just dumb. No way it costs more to clear that up than they coulda made back the years it coulda been sitting on psn!

Totally sucks that a firmware of all things would break saves. It seems like PSP won't be getting anymore of those so rest easy. Whatever else ya got since then should last!

CorvoSol

Apples...

Been meaning to ask this but whats going on with FFIX's world map? It looks like its straight outta FFVII. Like they thought they couldn't do VIII's graphics and just gave up?

Type-0 plays like CC? Totally forgot about that game like over a year after trying the demo. Sounds worth looking into if it ever gets localized somewhere.

Type-0, Crisis Core, and The Third Birthday were all worked on by Hajime Tabata, and they all play to some degree similarly. It's been too long since I last played CC, but what I recall of it is similar. T-0 is more recent, so I'll give you the rundown and see if it is.

It's mission based, but has it's own world map with a variety of areas and sidequests that are optional and not part of the main quest. It has NG+ to infinity, and an airship. Graphically they look very similar, but where Crisis Core is very colorful and makes use of a lot of cold pastels like blue, green, and purple, Type-0 is much more on the warm pastels side, using red, brown, orange and yellow. Granted that the chief antagonists have white and blue as their colors, meaning there is a share of that, too.

Triangle is attack, Circle is Limit-Break/Special, Square is Magic and X is healing magic/guard/dodge. Analog moves, Dpad is camera, R is to target. You move from map to map in much the same way and so on.

As I recall, Type-0's battle system was meant to be an evolution of Crisis Core's, with one of the chief differences being 14 playable characters in parties of 3 instead of one guy versus the world. Instead of Midgar the hub is Rubrum and it's Garden. Instead of Red Sephiroth the main villain is White Gestahl. Instead of 7 it's 13 (ish).

I've played through it 4 times in Japanese now and I don't speak the language. It's definitely worth the money if you're willing. Game is 2 UMDs, though, so it's pricey.
Multiple endings, too.

It suffers a bit from being on the PSP, though. A second analog stick would do it much justice, though I'm pretty used to the pad at this point. Vita or CPP3DS would work, or a PS3 version would rock.

I think it's the best Final Fantasy in years, to be honest.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Is it really that good?

Because both demos didn't really do a good job of selling the game to me (had issues with control, camera manipulation, getting mission statements for SO missions, wonky balancing, simplicity of kill sights/break strikes particularly when you're using a ranged attacker, etc.), and Bebpo's impressions in the OT kind of solidified my leanings towards not importing the game. Usually, whenever Bebpo has issues with game balancing and stuff and I play the game later, I feel similarly.

...I have very little interest in the story because I spoiled everything for myself already. Plus story has stopped being a point of interest for me in RPGs in general, I guess...

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
The map is supposed to be modeled after FF1, IIRC.
No no I'm talking about the world map graphics!

Heropon said:
This looks barely above VII. Barely!

It's mission based, but has it's own world map with a variety of areas and sidequests that are optional and not part of the main quest. It has NG+ to infinity, and an airship. Graphically they look very similar, but where Crisis Core is very colorful and makes use of a lot of cold pastels like blue, green, and purple, Type-0 is much more on the warm pastels side, using red, brown, orange and yellow. Granted that the chief antagonists have white and blue as their colors, meaning there is a share of that, too.

Triangle is attack, Circle is Limit-Break/Special, Square is Magic and X is healing magic/guard/dodge. Analog moves, Dpad is camera, R is to target. You move from map to map in much the same way and so on.

As I recall, Type-0's battle system was meant to be an evolution of Crisis Core's, with one of the chief differences being 14 playable characters in parties of 3 instead of one guy versus the world. Instead of Midgar the hub is Rubrum and it's Garden. Instead of Red Sephiroth the main villain is White Gestahl. Instead of 7 it's 13 (ish).

I think it's the best Final Fantasy in years, to be honest.
That sounds kinda similar aside from having parties which is cool, and the weird placement of attack to Triangle. Nice ringing endorsement! Dunno if its something I'd be invested in enough to import but I think I'll be checking that demo out again sometime soon!

CorvoSol

That sounds kinda similar aside from having parties which is cool, and the weird placement of attack to Triangle. Nice ringing endorsement! Dunno if its something I'd be invested in enough to import but I think I'll be checking that demo out again sometime soon!

The final demo is the first few missions of the game, including the world map, if you'd like. I'm quite the fan of the game, so I apologize for sounding like a commercial. Freakin' SE needs to localize this already.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
So, in continued not-finishing-FF3DS news:

FF4
inBBaXDzO4FQs.jpg

Just picked up this old dude and wow are his levels supposed to be that much higher than mine? I'm glad they are though, black flans errwhere. :(
I've never played this game before so I've been skipping huge chunks of the thread, haha.
Cecil is Sailor Moon.

FF:4HoL
I started playing this when it came out, but put it down after I ran into trouble getting Yunita up the Tower to the Sky. Then a year and a half passed, so when I picked it back up again I had no clue what was going on. RESTART TIME

ibheu8DbcSYcU8.jpg

...Now I'm here and wow, the narrative just yelled "L8R Y'ALLS" and leapt off a cliff into a
dystopian time warp
so I'm all, "...I have no idea what the hell to do first." Which makes me not want to do anything, frankly. I've kinda been plugging away at this one (FF4 has been in sleep mode for two weeks) so I guess it's high time I switched gears anyway. Maybe I'll make some decent progress in FF4 before Dark Schala passes me again.

CorvoSol

Is it really that good?

Because both demos didn't really do a good job of selling the game to me (had issues with control, camera manipulation, getting mission statements for SO missions, wonky balancing, simplicity of kill sights/break strikes particularly when you're using a ranged attacker, etc.), and Bebpo's impressions in the OT kind of solidified my leanings towards not importing the game. Usually, whenever Bebpo has issues with game balancing and stuff and I play the game later, I feel similarly.

...I have very little interest in the story because I spoiled everything for myself already. Plus story has stopped being a point of interest for me in RPGs in general, I guess...

I don't know if it's THAT good, but I love ARPGs and it is my opinion that it is a very good one. I might give glowing praise to Birth By Sleep, too. It is a lot of fun running around and doing missions and I fell in love with the game. I'm hardly the most likely person to give you an impartial and unbiased opinion of it. But for myself, without really overthinking it, it really, for me, was the best Final Fantasy in years.

Reading through Bebpo's review, I'm inclined to agree that he makes fair and accurate points all around. The story's presentation is at times done poorly (the decision to include the scenes connecting
two of the endings
only in the Crimson Codex was unwise, for instance.) Battles, while fast and fun, don't require an incredible amount of knowing anything about the game to win at them. The world map was fun for me, but I see why he disliked it. There's a lot that's shunted off into optional areas that should've been incorporated into the game better. There are really only two dungeons with any kind of difficulty to their design in the game and
the final boss fight being un-loseable was a bit of a robbery.
He makes a lot of very good points about the game with which I can find no reason to argue.

That said, I remain unchanged in my statement that the game is a blast, and one of the best FFs to come out in years. It doesn't have 12's depth, for instance, but it's leaps and bounds beyond anything else in the FNC and, along with 4HoL, feels like a genuine attempt by a rogue sect hidden within the bowels of Square Enix to prove that they have not forgotten why anyone loved them, and that the series is not entirely at the mercy of the men who would destroy it.

So, in continued not-finishing-FF3DS news:

FF4
inBBaXDzO4FQs.jpg

Just picked up this old dude and wow are his levels supposed to be that much higher than mine? I'm glad they are though, black flans errwhere. :(
I've never played this game before so I've been skipping huge chunks of the thread, haha.
Cecil is Sailor Moon.

FF:4HoL
I started playing this when it came out, but put it down after I ran into trouble getting Yunita up the Tower to the Sky. Then a year and a half passed, so when I picked it back up again I had no clue what was going on. RESTART TIME

ibheu8DbcSYcU8.jpg

...Now I'm here and wow, the narrative just yelled "L8R Y'ALLS" and leapt off a cliff into a
dystopian time warp
so I'm all, "...I have no idea what the hell to do first." Which makes me not want to do anything, frankly. I've kinda been plugging away at this one (FF4 has been in sleep mode for two weeks) so I guess it's high time I switched gears anyway. Maybe I'll make some decent progress in FF4 before Dark Schala passes me again.

At FF4, don't worry about FuSoYa. He's made out of paper so he needs to be 20 levels higher. Even in Golbez' Tale he's dead weight all around.

And yeah, 4HoL really goes crazy with
the time warp
to the point that I honestly don't remember the game explaining it all that well. It was still a pretty decent game.

LAST TIME ON POWER RANGERS: We decided to chase down a certain character who possibly died in an explosion who also kidnapped our princess. But before we continue on with our quest, our party makes a short stop in a forest where a cute little creature needs our help.

D7AsC.png
i33Ce.png

TiC5y.png

...That's the best language they could do? "Gob-gob?"

TSGlc.png
VWbLX.png

This is another one of those battles where you're given a choice that will determine what the objective is, and will also affect your Bravery levels. Should you choose the first option, your party loses 10 Bravery points (which also means their Bravery drops by 2 permanently, but more on that later). Choosing the second option doesn't increase your Bravery, but it does mean that you get the Chocobo into your party...should he survive. But it's an easy enough battle, and we get through it lickety-split.

pPz9I.png
6sBRk.png

e5rOf.png
L8Iai.png

Ta-da! It's not "Boko," but it's a close enough reference to FF5. Chocobos are one of several monsters that can join your party, and are pretty much the best in terms of battle usefulness. There are three varieties: Yellow, Black, and Red. Yellow ones are the most common and can heal your party members; Black ones can fly around the arena and have a projectile attack called "Choco Ball;" Red ones are arguably the best, however. They can't fly, but they have great jumping abilities (which means high areas are trivial to them) and they can use "Choco Meteor," the best attack a Chocobo can use. Chocobos are really good creatures to have around, should you choose to use creatures in your party.

Right after this is Zeirchele Falls. This is one of those situations where you're going to want to strip one of your guest characters because they're turning traitor and/or leaving the party. But also, we find someone very familiar!

Lzbry.png
SpVy4.png

5zk72.png
3kssS.png

Looks like Delita has stumbled upon a nasty plot regarding the princess. Luckily, we arrive just in time.

eTcsc.png
ZEVEz.png

p4Ohh.png
Rf8TY.png

If you didn't see that one coming, then I don't even know. Yes, it turns out that Gafgarion is indeed a jerk so we have to KO him. Luckily I stripped him of his gear so he can't use his Knight abilities against anyone. He goes down extremely quickly because of this.

RRqMU.png
ATX9c.png

Qm5Vt.png
l4CCF.png

WDIIK.png
oN4vv.png

Right here is where the plot gets a bit confusing. For those who don't know, a LOT of backstory to this game is documented in the Taverns that you can go into at each town on the world map. There you can read up on the latest happenings, like who is trying to kill who, or who is plotting to do what, etc. If you haven't been reading, then some parts of the game can seem very confusing. But I'll try and explain it as quickly and easily as possible.

Prince Orinus is a new baby that was just born. But as is shown, the princess is already the heir to the throne. As a power play since the king is already seriously ill, the queen wants the princess dead so that her baby can take the throne. And since the closest male relative would be the regent, Dycedarg and Goltanna are currently doing a lot of work behind the scenes to try and get the princess killed or saved for their own benefit.

...or something. The background plot is confusing to me too.

CXEI6.png
y43gJ.png

i6CuX.png

Gafgarion is tired of trying to explain himself, and tries to get Beef to honor his side of the contract. But because I'm such an upstanding individual, I refuse to help him out.

S4hFS.png
RDRyj.png

I see Delita hasn't learned to be tactful while we all thought he was dead.

zN1mb.png
nq7WL.png

dWAZ1.png

And I, on the other hand, learned to be LESS tactful! Gafgarion isn't buying Delita's story, though.

kYi9w.png
QnI7l.png

w4Izd.png
gOOUX.png

c0r1V.png
49dpU.png

...Gafgarion DOES have a point. Hey, wait a minute...Gafgarion...GAFgarion.

:O

...Er, anyways! Once the battle is done, a cutscene plays where Delita brings up several good points regarding our actions. Because we've interrupted the assassination plot, we've made an enemy out of an entire army, not to mention that we can't trust the crown. Delita decides to let the princess stay with us for now, while we decide where to go next.

QO1Z1.png
l2qjU.png

NQ9CY.png
1pxwI.png

...Yay, the church. I see nothing wrong with THAT decision. :| But we have our new destination planned.

KRcXe.png

Before I end this update, I'd like to take a minute to show off how our fine posters Dark Schala, Nocturnowl, and...wait, who is that? A NEW WARRIOR GAFFER HAS ENTERED THE RING PARTY!

4BDkm.png

It's spindashing!! My plan for spin is to make him a Time Mage/Summoner since Schala has FINALLY mastered the Black Mage class.

GoiNI.png
UYHrC.png

Yay! Next class to master is Knight, which thankfully takes a lot less Job Points to master.

g8gGS.png

And last but not least, mah boy Nocturnowl has finally achieved his dream of becoming a Dragoon. He gets to use spears, which let him attack units without triggering their Reaction Abilities. Handy!

You'll notice that (if you were paying attention at all) their Brave levels have increased. That's because of a handy Beef-Squire-only ability called "Steel" which raises the target's Brave by 5. I don't quite recall if I touched on this, but for every 4 points that you raise someone's Brave/Faith in a battle, they gain 1 point permanently. The same goes for decreases as well. It's a good way to get someone's Bravery up to the 90s quickly, since so many good abilities rely on it.

NEXT TIME: I...will probably be posting my update across a few posts since I'm going to be visiting relatives this weekend. I'll have lots of time to play...which means lots of time for screenshots...which means lots of uploads. I'm already looking forward to it. :|

Heropon

5JZOz.png
ePFNE.png
Cl4wq.png

TIzmP.gif
Passing Sorrow

The Terrans couldn't colonize Gaya, but they have a new place to conquer once the black mages "stop moving".

kX5eF.png
tGn2w.png
YgUyD.png

TIzmP.gif
The Evil's Mist Rebirth

The party gets the Pisces stellazio (12/12) in the Invincible, great! Oh, the Terran monsters are already here, the world is doomed.

H3oVv.png
MW3lt.png

There are maaany new items in the Black Mage Village shops, including lots of powerful equipment (circlet, wrist band, etc.). I'm only focusing in my party of choice to not grind much. There's a Masamune, but I don't want it right now.

Report: Frog count at 88.

DM65q.png
GpqdT.png
uEuwS.png

I'm going to get Zidane's final weapon, the Ultima Weapon. Go to the exact place where Shimmering Island (where the hand in the full-screen map doesn't have to reallocate itself to point to the island name) and use a dead pepper. The party gets a Maximilian too.

9a2VY.png
kmKm0.png
UKeNc.png

This weapon has a wooping 100 points of attack (14+ than the Ragnarok). I decide it's time to get the best robe in the game by giving the Piscis.

6DuAR.png
gf59L.png
U6qtw.png

But she says there's one more stellazio. That one is in the place where Scorpio was. The reward is a hammer.

zRFeE.png
PSplb.png
zHZ6o.png
5BqTJ.png
CxZjS.png
NQxcz.png
XvR0e.png
3zPTs.png

I start the mognet sequence to get a powerful ring. Nothing important to see here, apart from the random Ragtimes.

Gscy0.png

A friendly Garuda appears. This one doesn't want to evolve and only wants a lapis.

zQltN.png
eSJwF.png
53XBn.png

The letter shipping ends with Kupo and tells that the thing needed to repair the Mognet machine is a specific oil. Luckily, Ruby has it and the machine is repaired. A protect ring is obtained thanks to this sidequest.

o72Pr.png
zsdJp.png

The Ragtime Mouth keeps asking questions, and I keep answering correctly.

CMfTw.png
W3koD.png
yak1C.png

Awwwwwww, you're soooo cute. Can I hug you???? I'll give you all my diamonds if you want &#9829;&#9829;&#9829;

7clFF.png
Ge90r.png
1KWSs.png

And more questions... But suddenly Ragtime doesn't want to appear more in mah forests and I can't end his sidequest. **** him.

y4aqv.png
RmYdl.png
JUfq0.png

TIzmP.gif
Doom II - Circle of Death/'O' of Destruction

I feel like killing Ozma... CURSE.

8y158.png

Doomsday is my friend... if I have shadow absorbing eqipment.

ZGhBe.png

CURSE again.

pcCwz.png
doxZw.png
7oZ4i.png

Maybe it's time to change characters... I'm winning!

xAi93.png
QgQrf.png

But it starts stalling the battle with overpowered Curagas and the battle ends with CURSE.

Conclussion: If you don't do 9999 with every attack, don't dare to come here. Fuck this shit, I'm out.

Until the next time ;)

The thing about Ozma is that he's a dirty cheater. If you select any action, his ATB will fill up instantly and he'll move next no matter what. The only way to circumvent this is to perform your actions while he is already performing his, and before the damage numbers appear. You can be as low as Level 60 and beat him if you know what to do (and are lucky).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
spindashing needs to post more in the SonicGAF thread. And I hope I'm the bestest Black Mage ever.

honorless said:
Maybe I'll make some decent progress in FF4 before Dark Schala passes me again.
lol, take your time. Now that school's back in session, I have to juggle that and work so updates aren't going to be super-quick. They're just kinda long and stuff right now because school just started and I have less things to work on.

CorvoSol said:
Battles, while fast and fun, don't require an incredible amount of knowing anything about the game to win at them.
To be completely fair to Type-0, though, in both demos, you do have to get used to character animations and how quick they attack sometimes to successfully pull off decent attacks to stand against some of the oddly-balanced missions (especially in the first demo, holy crap), or to get used to finding time to kill sight things. But when you kinda get used to all of the characters to your disposal, there isn't that much depth, I guess?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Actually, your role as Black Mage is over! I'm trying to train you into becoming a Dark Knight.
I think it's hilarious that people like giving me dark/evil/brooding characters. :lol

I'll be a DKnight.

Like Batman.

And lol, yeah don't the entries take a while to write up? That's why I usually write one up after I complete a section so a) I can put the images in a folder and sort it so things won't be cluttered, b) I won't forget stuff I thought about, and c) omg they take sooo long.

But I think it's worth it.

Well it was either you or NOCTURNowl that was gonna be a Dark Knight, but I chose you since female DKnights get Move +3 as opposed to male's Jump +3. :| Like, really?

Top Bottom