• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 Web Browser Discussion - big upgrade rumoured for long time, but no concrete news

patsu

~500mb should be enough... right? IF the "refresh" is new and has that 16gb flash built in, it should be able to work a lot better, correct? Obviously not extra ram, but still much faster than HDD caching.

These will no doubt be a part of PS4 / Xbox 8, but they need to deliver with PS3 and 360 to slow down any potential Wii U has.

It may be enough for a regular service, but doubt it will be amazing amongst the very crowded announcements these fall. If they can also deliver an augmented service via server side services (with other Sony and Playstation Certified devices), then it'd be more interesting.

Remember Apple still has a rumored second announcement this fall, and MS and Samsung haven't really showed their cards yet. And don't know what Google is prepping as we speak.

It's for the mindshare and utility in the living room.

The default Sony mode is probably the "Battleship mode", which is to tank the hits, and cruise until they have something. ^_^

EDIT:
As for using PS3 and Xbox 360 to stop WiiU, I think for Sony, PS3 has always been that "Does Everything" device, regardless of whether WiiU exists or not. As mentioned above, the question is how tenacious is Sony ? With PS3's limited memory, can they deal with the modern technologies like WebKit 2 (which can be a memory hog in heavy use).

patsu

Gave me a good chuckle. Sounds like them. Lmao.

I watched that movie digitally a few days ago. When they brought
Missouri
out, I thought it looked like Sony coming out of its slumber to fight ! lol

The Battleship era in WWII ended with the sinking of the magnificent Japanese' flagships, Yamato and Musashi (by hundreds of aircrafts). If Sony is not careful, they will suffer great losses by a thousand cuts, and got lost in new operational models too.

Would be interesting to see if they sink or fly over the next 2 years.

Wii TVii.

You kept saying Sony and MS would do a refresh and release these features to challenge the Wii U.

You were right.
I won't claim to have said that, what I said is that all are trying for the living room and all will have similar support for Media. Older PS3s can support the same but older Xbox 360's can't (no 1080P HDMI output). All will have a webkit 2 browser, Support DLNA and DTCP-IP which give them the ability to support RVU.

Nintendo Wii U to launch in US, Europe in November; also will work as a DVR
Nintendo said Thursday that its new Wii U game console will go on sale starting in November in the U.S. and Europe, and will also work as a home entertainment center, connecting with video streaming services.
So most likely RVU support which with what's implied in this article, ALL game consoles will support. DVR ability or access to external DVR?

The company demonstrated how the game console, which comes with a single game controller equipped with its own touchscreen, will also serve as an entertainment center, allowing users to stream video content from Hulu, Amazon and Netflix to their TV sets. The touchpad will show additional content, such as box scores and statistics for sports broadcasts, a timeline of key moments for TV shows, and previews for movie services.

Ah tru2way, Blu-ray's interactive cable cousin... In a sense, this would be like a network version of Blu-ray media (since they both have Java run-time, and HTML support).
There is tru2way client and server, it looks like all game consoles (except the Wii and older 360s) can be RVU clients. From the leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint, it looks like the Xbox 720 will be client/Server...I assume Sony has the same plans for the PS4. The Nasne looks like a server only and requires a PS3 as client connected to the living room TV. Nasne serves media to handhelds also.

If I were Sony I'd have a TV tuner built into the PS3 4000 chassis and have similar abilities to Torne/Nasne built into the OS. I think tru2way allows decryption of scrambled cable without a cable card but you need a very secure platform. This would allow the PS3 4K chassis to be a ATSC 2.0 set top box as well as a set top box for scrambled commercial over the air streaming like AirBox as well as scrambled Cable TV. This adds about $10 to the cost of the PS3 + HDMI pass-thru adds about $10.

In my opinion Sony's Media Fusion requires this in the short term. While it looks like everyone is getting on board the tru2way train for 2013 and it might be successful this time, it's still chicken and egg. There has to be enough CE equipment with support for ATSC 2.0 and Tru2way to attract networks to use the new features. Sony and Microsoft for their part, want to be the ones supporting these new standards so consumers will buy a Xbox 36o or PS3 rather than spending $1,400 for a smart TV.

Sony's Media Fusion is using the HEVC codec to support 4 times as many video channels on each 6Mhz TV channel (10-16 video channels) as ATSC 1.0. They give 5 examples of the uses for these extra video channels. Sporting events with 10 simultaneous user select-able camera views with replay also of each camera view. CiiNOW (AMD purchased Cloud gaming company) gives an example of Cable companies having several channels with active cloud games that can be viewed or viewer assisting players or jumped into. Further the CEO of CiiNOW states that ALL cable companies will be providing cloud gaming in the near future.

There is no rumor or information supporting a tuner in the PS3 4K chassis or Xbox 361 although the leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint had Microsoft supporting the HD Home run external digital tuner @ $150 for the 2 tuner to network accessory. Nasne provides a 500 GB hard disk and more features for $200. Would the average consumer find paying $10 more for a PS3 4000 and getting this ability attractive? Edit: Providing Nasne and software to support an external Digital to network tuner can be 1) to provide access for all Game consoles to support in the clear features or with Nasne Clear/scrambled or 2) to provide support for older consoles that is built into the newer version to not disrupt the console features across all models.

MARNEY

There is tru2way client and server, it looks like all game consoles (except the Wii and older 360s) can be RVU clients. From the leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint, it looks like the Xbox 720 will be client/Server...I assume Sony has the same plans for the PS4. The Nasne looks like a server only and requires a PS3 as client connected to the living room TV. Nasne serves media to handhelds also.

If I were Sony I'd have a TV tuner built into the PS3 4000 chassis and have similar abilities to Torne/Nasne built into the OS. I think tru2way allows decryption of scrambled cable without a cable card but you need a very secure platform. This would allow the PS3 4K chassis to be a ATSC 2.0 set top box as well as a set top box for scrambled commercial over the air streaming like AirBox as well as scrambled Cable TV. This adds about $10 to the cost of the PS3 + HDMI pass-thru adds about $10.

In my opinion Sony's Media Fusion requires this in the short term. While it looks like everyone is getting on board the tru2way train for 2013 and it might be successful this time, it's still chicken and egg. There has to be enough CE equipment with support for ATSC 2.0 and Tru2way to attract networks to use the new features. Sony and Microsoft for their part, want to be the ones supporting these new standards so consumers will buy a Xbox 36o or PS3 rather than spending $1,400 for a smart TV.

Sony's Media Fusion is using the HEVC codec to support 4 times as many video channels on each 6Mhz TV channel (10-16 video channels) as ATSC 1.0. They give 5 examples of the uses for these extra video channels. Sporting events with 10 simultaneous user select-able camera views with replay also of each camera view. CiiNOW (AMD purchased Cloud gaming company) gives an example of Cable companies having several channels with active cloud games that can be viewed or viewer assisting players or jumped into. Further the CEO of CiiNOW states that ALL cable companies will be providing cloud gaming in the near future.

There is no rumor or information supporting a tuner in the PS3 4K chassis or Xbox 361 although the leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint had Microsoft supporting the HD Home run external digital tuner @ $150 for the 2 tuner to network accessory. Nasne provides a 500 GB hard disk and more features for $200. Would the average consumer find paying $10 more for a PS3 4000 and getting this ability attractive? Edit: Providing Nasne and software to support an external Digital to network tuner can be 1) to provide access for all Game consoles to support in the clear features or with Nasne Clear/scrambled or 2) to provide support for older consoles that is built into the newer version to not disrupt the console features across all models.
The more I read up on things it seems nasne is the way to go. Surely this little bit of hardware is not solely Intended for the Japanese market, I remember when the first ps3 dvr add on for the ps3 hit the market in Japan & Europe I read an article explaining why it wouldn't be sold in USA ( north America). Long story short, it was due to the fact that the cable industry was more standardized in Japan & Europe, in north America the industry was more of a free for all. These new standards/protocols/features of wich Jeff speaks will essentially enable nasne to be sold in north America eventually... Looking into nasne I found this encouraging, but minor statement regarding any possible nasne launch outside of Japan...
"Sony is yet to confirm whether nasne will go on sale outside of Japan, though the fact that the v1.5 software update announcement has been pushed out both in Japanese and English (which is not always the case) might imply that there are international launch plans on the drawing board."
It's an old article about the launch nasne FW update here.
http://www.slashgear.com/ps3-nasne-update-boosts-consoles-media-credentials-13238425/

While surfing around I came accross this from 2007.
http://m.kotaku.com/292330/harrison-sheds-light-on-us-plans-ps3-dvr-and-psp-tv
I live outside of the USA, how prevalent is terrestrial digital television now? Seems Sony was waiting on that before releasing a dvr add on in the USA. Wonder if we'll see nasne in north America around the time wii u launches?
Nasne + new slimmer slim = win.

The more I read up on things it seems nasne is the way to go. Surely this little bit of hardware is not solely Intended for the Japanese market, I remember when the first ps3 dvr add on for the ps3 hit the market in Japan & Europe I read an article explaining why it wouldn't be sold in USA ( north America). Long story short, it was due to the fact that the cable industry was more standardized in Japan & Europe, in north America the industry was more of a free for all. These new standards/protocols/features of wich Jeff speaks will essentially enable nasne to be sold in north America eventually... Looking into nasne I found this encouraging, but minor statement regarding any possible nasne launch outside of Japan...
"Sony is yet to confirm whether nasne will go on sale outside of Japan, though the fact that the v1.5 software update announcement has been pushed out both in Japanese and English (which is not always the case) might imply that there are international launch plans on the drawing board."
It's an old article about the launch nasne FW update here.
http://www.slashgear.com/ps3-nasne-update-boosts-consoles-media-credentials-13238425/

While surfing around I came accross this from 2007.
http://m.kotaku.com/292330/harrison-sheds-light-on-us-plans-ps3-dvr-and-psp-tv
I live outside of the USA, how prevalent is terrestrial digital television now? Seems Sony was waiting on that before releasing a dvr add on in the USA. Wonder if we'll see nasne in north America around the time wii u launches?
Nasne + new slimmer slim = win.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=41638674 said:
TORONTO — ViXS Systems Inc. today announces that the XCode 4210 powers Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (Tokyo: 6758; NYSE: SNE) PS3 networked recorder and media storage device called “Nasne™”. The XCode 4210 is a network media processor and transcoding single chip System on Chip (SoC). The Sony Nasne is the first product of its kind and a central addition to Sony’s strategy for the connected home. Nasne provides multiple users with the ability to watch and record digital terrestrial and satellite broadcast through dedicated applications such as “torne” for PlayStation3 (PS3 and “VAIO TV”. Users will also be able to access recorded content from their PlayStationVita (PS Vita), Sony Tablet, VAIO PCs, Xperia™ TVs or any other Digital Living Network Alliance DLNA Certified® TV, SmartPhone, Tablet or PC and stream this throughout the home.

Nasne represents the first step in Sony’s newly harmonized media business strategy. A PS3-lookalike Nasne is encased in a slick enclosure housing a 500 GB hard disk drive for external program recording and storage. Taking full advantage of ViXS’ dual HD transcoding capabilities on the XCode 4210, the Sony Nasne has the capability to concurrently stream stored video to two devices. With the first product launch in Japan the Sony Nasne also comes integrated with “G GUIDE TV OUKOKU CHAN-TORU,” a Japanese program guide service, which will enable scheduled recordings to be set remotely from Sony hardware.

Interfaces to Nasne include gigabit Ethernet, antenna input and output, a B-CAS card slot for security decryption, and a USB port for hooking up external drives to augment its internal hard disk drive capacity. Multiple Nasne units can also be supported by various Sony devices so as to boost the number of simultaneous recordings: the PS3 can handle up to four, with the “torne” app, while VAIO PCs for example could manage up to eight using the free “VAIO TV with Nasne” app.

“Since the launch of XCode 4210 in 2010 ViXS has remained at the forefront of the media processing technology curve” said Sally Daub. President and CEO, ViXS Systems Inc. “The XCode 4210 has continued to exceed industry expectations with its ground-breaking technical performance, level of integration and power efficient design. ViXS is delighted to be playing such a significant part in Sony’s latest connected home experience”.

The XCode 4210 single chip in the Sony Nasne products controls the following features:

Decode and display via HD satellite and terrestrial CAS-encrypted broadcasts
Display HDMI out
Ethernet networking
Internet codec transcoding
Advanced dual audio and video HD Transcoding
Streaming n-screen support
Rich 2D and 3D graphics user interface
Digital Rights Management (DRM) for content protection
Software stacks to support DLNA Certified®
System design within 4W power consumption budget

xcode4200_features_chip.jpg

XCODE 4200 SERIES FEATURES
XCode® 4210 integrates the following features:

Multi-Stream HD Decoding Engine
Dual-Channel 1080p30 Decode (MPEG2/H.264/VC-1)
Single-Channel 1080p60 Decode (MPEG2/H.264/VC-1)
Programmable Decode Engine for Other Internet based CODECs

Multi-Stream Video Encoding and Transcoding Engine
Dual-Channel HD to HD Transcode (MPEG2/H.264/VC-1)
Full Decode / Full Encode Transcode mode Implementation and Smart XCode.
mode Implementation
High Quality 1080p60 HD Transcode
Low-Latency Encode for wireless distribution within the home

Advanced Hosting
Multi-Core Architecture
Up to 2800 DMIPS

2D / 3D Graphic Engines
Full 3D Graphics Hardware engine with OpenGL ES 2.0 support
Full 2D Graphics Hardware engine with DirectFB support
Completely separate 2D and 3D Graphic Hardware engines for simultaneous
operation modes

Video Post Processing
Motion Adaptive De-Interlacer
Multiple Noise Reducers
Colour Management

Advanced Security Architecture
Supports advanced security requirements for operator networks
Integrates all major hardware crypto engines for support of major DRMs
Transcryption between multiple DRMs (eg. MSDRM, Microsoft Playready, Marlin, Safia, DTCP/IP, CPRM etc)

Wide Range of Peripherals
Multiple Integrated Peripherals
- Multiple 10/100/1G Ethernet ports
- Multiple USB ports
- Dual SATA ports
- HDMI 1.4a Transmitter w/HDCP
- Analog Video / Audio Outputs
- CCIR656/SMPTE274/296 inputs
- 6 TS in
- Smart Card Interface
- SD Card / MMC
- PCIe
- High Speed DDR3 memory controller
- NAND Flash Controller

12) ATSC 2.0 *-* starts May 2012 thru 1st quarter 2013. *-* h.265 published for use Jan 2013. *-* Sony Nasne *-* RVU support for the PS3 announced by Verizon and Direct TV

B-CAS cards are for Japan only but in the US:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downloadable_Conditional_Access_System said:
Cable companies in the US are required by the Federal Communications Commission to support CableCARDs; standards now exist for two way communication (M-card) but satellite television has its own standards. Next generation approaches in the United States eschew such physical cards and employ schemes using downloadable software for conditional access such as DCAS.

The main appeal of such approaches is that the access control may be upgraded dynamically in response to security breaches without requiring expensive exchanges of physical conditional access modules. Another appeal is that it may be inexpensively incorporated into non-traditional media display devices such as Portable media players.
Which means it could work in the US if DCAS is going to be implemented. I found no information on DCAS after 2008.

OpenCable Application Platform

The OpenCable Application Platform, or OCAP, is an operating system layer designed for consumer electronics that connect to a cable television system, the Java-based middleware portion of the platform. Unlike operating systems on a personal computer, the cable company controls what OCAP programs run on the consumer's machine.

Designed by CableLabs for the cable networks of North America, OCAP programs are intended for interactive services such as eCommerce, online banking, Electronic program guides, and digital video recording. Cable companies have required OCAP as part of the Cablecard 2.0 specification, a proposal that is controversial and has not been approved by the Federal Communications Commission. Cable companies have stated that two-way communications by third party devices on their networks will require them to support OCAP. The Consumer Electronics Association and other groups argue OCAP is intended to block features that compete with cable company provided services and that consumers should be entitled to add, delete and otherwise control programs as on their personal computers.[1] On January 8, 2008 Cable Labs announced [2] the Tru2Way brand for the OpenCable platform, including OCAP as the application platform.

OCAP is the Java based software/middleware portion of the OpenCable initiative. OCAP is based on the Globally Executable MHP (GEM)-standard, and was defined by CableLabs. Because OCAP is based on GEM, it has a lot in common with the Multimedia Home Platform (MHP)-standard defined by the DVB project.

At present two versions of the OCAP standard exist:

OCAP v1.0
OCAP v2.0
On January 8, 2008 Cable Labs announced [2] the Tru2Way brand for the OpenCable platform, including OCAP as the application platform. What I did find is a PDF describing what has been confirmed RVU for the PS3 and I suspect most CE platforms based on DLNA. So RVU and HDMI pass-thru only at this time. NASNE would only have clear OTA or Cable use unless DCAS is implemented by cable companies.

TGS was a Fail Minus for Sony.
You did find this an hour later. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42302088&postcount=1301

Not mentioned at the Sony press conference but things like you found will be leaked at the TGS show. Firmware update will happen by the PS3 4K release date and the Sony blog will report on what it means. Your find on the PSN:

With the announcement of the new PS3 Slim tonight, it looks that Sony is also stealth announcing a new look to the PlayStation Store. The Australian PlayStation site had some text buried in the announcement for the new Slim.

“To tie in with the launch, PlayStation Store for PS3 is set to get a new look from October 2012 too, making it even easier for you to find and download the content you love from the comfort of your sofa.”
confirms a firmware update as Browser SVG support is required.

It's not enough to redeem their incompetence. Sure they want to turn a profit on the hardware, but those prices are whack. Really they should be showing all the stuff they are working on just so people can look forward to a new PS3 or so people can hold onto them instead of trading it off for a Wii U, which would be the worst thing that can happen for Sony.

RELEASE: GStreamer 1.0.0

WebKitGTK+ 1.10.0 released!

- Beta version of the WebKit2 GTK+ API:
WebKitGTK+ 1.10 includes a beta version of the WebKit2 high-level GTK+
API.
There isn't any backwards compatibility guarantee yet, but the
current API is unlikely to change. The API is not yet complete for a
full featured web browser, but is more than enough for applications that
use a smaller part of the API.
We encourage every application for which
there's already enough API to be ported to WebKit2.

- Accelerated Compositing support:
WebKitGTK+ 1.10 includes support for accelerated compositing, which
allows for 3D CSS transformations, as well as hardware accelerated
animations.

- Port GStreamer backend to 1.0 API:
The Media player backend has been ported to the GStreamer 1.0 APIs. For
the time being we keep supporting the GStreamer 0.10 APIs as well.
Support for 1.0 can be enabled at build time using with the configure
option --with-gstreamer=1.0. The WebAudio backend is not ported yet to
the new APIs so if you need to use this experimental backend (which is
not enabled by default yet) you need to make sure to build with
GStreamer 0.10 support.

- MHTML support:
Now WebkitGTK+ based applications can load pages saved in the MHTML
format. Additionally, WebKit2GTK+ based applications will also be able
to save web pages using this format thanks to the newly added API for
that purpose.

- Geolocation support is now enabled by default.

- The LLInt (Low-Level Interpreter) for JSC is now enabled.

- Notable bug fixes:
+ The default Enchant spell checker now recognizes English
contractions.
+ Input method support is greatly improved and the IME events sent to
JavaScript more closely match other browsers.
+ Accessibility support has been further enhanced making it possible
for screen readers to provide more complete and more accurate
information.
Browser SVG support comes with WebKitGTK+ 1.10 includes support for accelerated compositing which is needed for; “To tie in with the launch, PlayStation Store for PS3 is set to get a new look from October 2012 too, making it even easier for you to find and download the content you love from the comfort of your sofa.” It's a major-major update to the PS3 browser and for that reason it may be delayed with Sony using Pictures instead of SVG icons. Earlier this year we saw pictures of a PSN site shown on a Vita using SVG icons on the left with a leak of the PSN upgrade to come. Because of that and the accelerated support APIs done for GTKwebkit2 I suspect it's coming early October as is my new PS3 4K by October 6th.

Magic crystal 8-ball says: not very likely.
Amazon.com US says delivery due from Oct 2 to Oct 6th but it hasn't shipped yet so who knows.

We've started preparing your shipment for delivery and it should leave our facility in the next few hours to a few days. We'll send you an e-mail once your order has shipped. The length of time your shipment spends in shipping soon does not impact your delivery date.

MARNEY

I am definitely doing a power reading first thing. Depending on the power reading I may take it apart.
Mr. Rigby,

All kidding aside, seems odd that no one has torn down the new 4k ps3 yet, no one reliable has posted any power readings, thought someone out there would have by now. Thought that happened quickly with the first slim..

What are your expectations with the tear down? What do you hope or expect to find?

Really feel you should get a gaf tag/title if you go through with the teardown.

Mr. Rigby,

All kidding aside, seems odd that no one has torn down the new 4k ps3 yet, no one reliable has posted any power readings, thought someone out there would have by now. Thought that happened quickly with the first slim..

What are your expectations with the tear down? What do you hope or expect to find?

Really feel you should get a gaf tag/title if you go through with the teardown.
All I've done is dig deeper that most into selected parts of what's coming. IF Power readings are 35 watts or less AND contrary to current information, the SSD cache boots the PS3 MUCH faster even with a hard disk present I'll consider a teardown. Without a Xray I can't really determine much more.

There are three possibles:

1) Coreless RSX & Cell @ apx 40nm resulting in a slight drop to about 50 watts at the XMB. (54 watts)
2) Coreless Cell at 32nm and Coreless RSX at 28nm (one or two packages with 2 banks of memory) with large power drop at XMB
3) two 1PPU3SPU packages @ 32nm with a more modern AMD GPU @ 32nm, one bank of unified memory and one combined CPU/GPU package with a large power drop at the XMB.

Power readings can only go so far. Boot speed from SSD can give us more.

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/340097-Discuss-advanced-ATSC-broadcasting

ATSC 1.0 was approved by the FCC in 1996 and the last revision was in 2009. ATSC 1.0 defined MPeg2/AC3 as the codec and 8-VSB as the modulation scheme. Data rate produced was 19.4 Mbps and 19 formats were approved as summarized here.. http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ISSUES/what_is_ATSC.html

Although 19 formats are possible with ATSC 1.0 tuners in theory, only three are being widely used 704x480 60i, 1280x720 60p and 1920x1080 60i. This will remain the case for the primary channel for backward compatibility.

The FCC has promised to start a review of digital broadcasting in 2012. Among the issues will be possible new formats and services for the sub-channels and a specification for an ATSC 2.0 tuner. Meanwhile the ATSC has been at work developing several new services some of which are being tested on air.

1. A/72 Advanced Video Encoding (h.264) - Although MPeg2 will remain for the primary channel in the USA, broadcasters will have the option to use h.264 for the sub-channels. This will allow multiple HD subchannels since h.264 uses about half the bit rate of MPeg2. 3D is possible. Disadvantage is users will need new ATSC 2.0 tuners to receive the h.264 sub-channels.

2. ACAP (interactive games and services) - already implemented in Korea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...ation_Platform

3. ATSC M/H - Live low resolution broadcasting to hand held devices. Being implemented separate from ATSC 2.0. Eventually will be available on phone handsets or tablets.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC-M/H

4. ATSC NRT (non-real time) - TV programs and games are downloaded to a DVR based ATSC 2.0 tuner for viewing at user discretion. 3D is optional. To me this is revolutionary and might threaten cable/sat services.
http://gadgets.softpedia.com/news/AT...s-9051-01.html
http://www.expway.com/telechargement/1302168157.pdf
http://broadcastengineering.com/RF/i...ve_services_2/

5. ATSC h.264 1920x1080@60p

6. ATSC 3D standardization
http://www.atsc.org/cms/index.php/co...-transmissions

7. Increase 8-VSB bit-rate over 19.4 Mbps while maintaining ATSC 1.0 compatibility.

8. Smart antenna technology. The tuner controls and optimizes the antenna.

9. ATSC 2.0 tuner specification integrating the above services with backward compatibility.

milsorgen

Banned
~500mb should be enough... right? IF the "refresh" is new and has that 16gb flash built in, it should be able to work a lot better, correct? Obviously not extra ram, but still much faster than HDD caching.

These will no doubt be a part of PS4 / Xbox 8, but they need to deliver with PS3 and 360 to slow down any potential Wii U has.

Where on earth did you get the idea that flash memory, especially of the type they'll be using in a console for basic storage, is ever faster than a HDD?

BTW, whats the deal with the browser itself, any big upgrades coming soon because it still sucks.
We have this in place for APIs released 2 weeks ago:

The US store Oct 23 which might be using some of the webkit APIs and this which is supposed to come BEFORE the end of the year:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39283237&postcount=1334

Moreover, the new devices that are coming in 2012 (Samsung TV, PS3 WebMAF, LG TV, etc...) will all have HLS and Playready capabilities. So why don't we use the better of the two world : HLS + Playready !

-Playstation Network/PS3 development with Webkit browser & WebMAF framework
-Movie playback on PS3 with DRM encoding
Soon could be as late as December for the browser but XMB Applications (Store & more) can use an existing subset of Browser APIs.

We have this in place for APIs released 2 weeks ago:

The US store Oct 23 which might be using some of the webkit APIs and this which is supposed to come BEFORE the end of the year:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39283237&postcount=1334

Soon could be as late as December for the browser but XMB Applications (Store & more) can use an existing subset of Browser APIs.

New store is HTML5 by the way.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43092063&postcount=1417

The new Playstation Store is a 24 meg app that supports HTML5. Stand alone at 24 megs right? So it's not using the native libraries and HTML5 stack in the PS3. The reason for this???

Security? I'm not up on this but even a stand alone app is not secure if PS3 keys are broken. So my guess is that eventually there will be HTML5 apps for free and sale that run on the PS3 HTML5 stack and that makes the entire app-html5 stack and browser much more vulnerable.

So every app that has content that needs DRM security will be a stand alone app. Everything else if I'm correct will be run from the PS3 HTML5 stack which might be by default always resident in memory.

Temporary? That implies major changes to nearly everything in the PS3 HTML5 stack if they can't use anything. PSN store access from within a game would imply that the APP is temporary.

The old store was likely a XHTML XML which is similar to what the ATSC 2.0 envisioned for the UI.

Mario007

Playstation Store is a 24 meg app that supports HTML5. Stand alone at 24 megs right? So it's not using the native libraries and HTML5 stack in the PS3. The reason for this???

Security? I'm not up on this but even a stand alone app is not secure if PS3 keys are broken. So my guess is that eventually there will be HTML5 apps for free and sale that run on the PS3 HTML5 stack and that makes the entire app-html5 stack and browser much more vulnerable.

So every app that has content that needs DRM security will be a stand alone app. Everything else if I'm correct will be run from the PS3 HTML5 stack which might be by default always resident in memory.

The old store was likely a XHTML XML which is similar to what the ATSC 2.0 envisioned for the UI.

They said they'd bake it in after all the regions get it and they'll do the next firmware update.

They said they'd bake it in after all the regions get it and they'll do the next firmware update.
I'm guessing you are getting that from here:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General-Discussion/The-re-designed-PS-Store/m-p/17261740?WT.mc_id=TSO_EN100 said:
I'm liking the store redesign so far, but there's two big negatives I'm finding with it...
1. Launching the store (particularly for the first time) takes longer than usual. Perhaps since it now appears to be a seperate application (rather than part of the system software), so I'm hoping it'll get baked in once the other regions get the redesign and the next system update happens.
2. No longer able to access the store via Remote Play (I'm guessing it's a similar reason to #1). It's definitely handy to be able to buy/download PS3 games whilst I'm away from the TV.
So it's only temporary? That implies major changes to nearly everything in the PS3 HTML5 stack if they can't use anything. This is not official information so we will have to wait and see.

PS3 Software Update (v4.30) (VITA TROPHIES ON PS3)

With this update we have made several changes to how Trophies are displayed on your PlayStation 3. The Trophy Collection will now reside under PlayStation Network on the XMB.

By the beginning of November 2012, we will retire the services available through the Life with PlayStation application. In conjunction with its retirement, we will stop offering the Life with PlayStation application to new users with the 4.30 update. This includes the conclusion of our participation with Stanford University’s Folding@home,

I believe that Sony is reorganizing the XMB in preparation for new APPs with interprocess communication (WebMAF). Baby steps to keep us happy and a thought to where apps should belong on the future XMB. Friends may change to Social/Friends but it's going to have friends in a contact list app not directly on the XMB and Skype or Google Talk not chat. All Sony network connected platforms will have the same XMB with the same HTML5 apps organized the same way. Only the PS3 could support Folding at home and with a move to only one XMB across all platforms with cross platform HTML apps, folding at home is not a moneymaker and may require support if any core APIs change.

Other platforms have a core of free apps that share information:
1) Contact list
2) Calendar
3) Journal
4) Skype or Google Talk

A Media guide would interact with Calendar and Contact list would interact with chat programs. Journal and Calendar interact and search filters allow for finding who you chatted last week displayed in the Calendar.

Other free apps that make the platform attractive may be provided by Sony or Sony may arrange for Apps to have advertising so that a third parties pay for it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6418/...d-opteron-cpus-for-servers-production-in-2014

Last year AMD officially became an ARM licensee, although the deal wasn't publicized at the time. Fast forward to June 2012 and we saw the first fruits of that deal: AMD announced it would integrate ARM's Cortex A5 core into its 2013 APUs to enable TrustZone support.

Today comes a much bigger announcement: AMD will be building Opteron processors based on a 64-bit ARM architecture. There are no product announcements today, but the 64-bit ARM Opterons will go into production in 2014.

The only other detail we know is that these ARM based Opterons will embed SeaMicro's Freedom Fabric, presumably on-die.

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-29%20at%204.55.05%20PM_575px.png

It appears that Charlie at SemiAccurate has had an inside track in this. He hinted over a year ago about SeaMicro and ARM - X86 (AMD). He spend allot of time pointing out (with pictures too) that the design of the SeaMicro chassis would support more CPUs and cards than could be fit into the Power/heat budget of the chassis using Atom CPUs and SeaMicro comment: one bullet point in the Sea Micro slide deck points out the ASICs at the heart of the system connect to the CPUs via plain old vanella PCIe2. They do this in an odd way however, they say, "CPU independent; X-86, ARM, etc. That kinda makes you wonder a bit, doesn't it.

So combining the above with the ARM agreement over a year ago to put ARM A5s as DRM trustzone in AMD APUs (Including I assume both consoles) with the AMD purchase of SeaMicro along with their purchase of stock in Cloud gaming company CiiNOW and this 2010 article Part the Clouds: AMD Fusion APUs Ideal for Cloud Clients would tend to support a long range plan.

Combine the rumors of both consoles with AMD CPU and GPU with the leaked Xbox 720 powerpoint in 2010 mentioning cloud gaming and locally serving (same technology) a handheld so it can "Cloud serve" a Xbox 720 game to a handheld and Sony purchasing Gaikai cloud gaming company a few months ago with a Sony patent in 2011; SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR DATA SYNCHRONIZATION FOR A COMPUTER ARCHITECTURE FOR BROADBAND NETWORK. , which is a Sony patent train starting in 2001, probably because of the Cell processor, on distributed processing and we have everyone on board Cloud serving in all it's forms (see the above AMD chart).

I outlined this 5 months ago and supported it with cites from AMD and patents from all.

I suggest reading the article Part the Clouds: AMD Fusion APUs Ideal for Cloud Clients and this continuation of the article. Lots there that applies to us and it's an easy read. After reading think about Zlib having hardware support in AMD APUs and the W3C supporting WebCL and Zlib compression as the standards to be used by web browsers. Think about AMD also including a ARM A5 for DRM and more in their APUs.

Think about my being called crazy for all the attention I paid to the PS3 webkit browser and my opinions on what's coming this year. It starts with the PS3 and Xbox 360 and is expanded upon in the next generation.

Are you talking about the foreground/background plane shifting? Not sure what you mean.
Yup. There is no reason to do so other than to draw attention to it. It shifts just enough to be noticeable and is about the same as the difference between your eyes perspective in 3-D. It adds to the overhead and must be there for some reason. My guess is like in the past, it's a hint of what's coming.

There appear to be three planes and when you scroll to the next view to the right the foreground images shift more than the background images just like a 3-D perspective. The images are extremely detailed and it looks like a Viewmaster 3-D picture from my childhood.

Yup. There is no reason to do so other than to draw attention to it. It shifts just enough to be noticeable and is about the same as the difference between your eyes perspective in 3-D. It adds to the overhead and must be there for some reason. My guess is like in the past, it's a hint of what's coming.

There appear to be three planes and when you scroll to the next view to the right the foreground images shift more than the background images just like a 3-D perspective. The images are extremely detailed and it looks like a Viewmaster 3-D picture from my childhood.

I think it might be just a fancy... you know.. thing. It's neat.

Top Bottom