• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #106 - "The Last Straw"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
Theme - "The Last Straw"

Word Limit: 2000

Submission Deadline: Friday, Sept 21st by 11:59 PM Pacific.

Voting begins Saturday, Sept 22th, and goes until Monday, Sept 24th at 11:59 PM Pacific.

Optional Secondary Objective: the right amount of description
I'm trying to work on certain aspects of my writing.... so this time, let's try working on getting just the right amount of description. One thing you can try doing -- if you're able to write earlier than the last second -- is to intentionally overdescribe things in your earlier drafts, and then pare it down to the salient details in the later drafts.
[Cyan's note: This exercise allows you to pick and choose your details, and so capture the ones that best further your theme, mood, or POV. Give it a try, even if not for your entire story!]

Submission Guidelines:

- One entry per poster.
- All submissions must be written during the time of the challenge.
- Using the topic as the title of your piece is discouraged.
- Keep to the word count!

Voting Guidelines:

- Three votes per voter. Please denote in your voting your 1st (3 pts), 2nd (2 pts), and 3rd (1 pt) place votes.
- Please read all submissions before voting.
- You must vote in order to be eligible to win the challenge.
- When voting ends, the winner gets a collective pat on the back, and starts the new challenge.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge FAQ
Previous Challenge Threads and Themes

I may wade into this one. We will see.

Whats the best overall writing software out there for general + novel writing? Free and paid? Office is fine but I have a hard time keeping my ideas organized.

kehs

Banned
I'm planning my time better, and I'll make sure to start writing two hours before deadline, instead of one.

I wrote a very short story once on my tmobile shadow. In the theater while waiting for a movie to start.

Whats the best overall writing software out there for general + novel writing? Free and paid? Office is fine but I have a hard time keeping my ideas organized.

These are the two I use;

Q10 (free) - a nice a simple, minimalist, distraction-free word processor.

Scrivener (paid) - fantastic for organising larger stories, as you can easily divide what you've written by chapter or by scene, etc, as well as providing detailed character sheets and scene backgrounds, and allowing you to import all your research, be it webpages, pictures, .pdf's, etc.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Totally misread the submission date. I was wondering why nobody else had posted anything...

mu cephei

I was finally definitely totally going to do this one. I've even written 175 words (!) But I don't know if I can (it's either this or Dostoevsky) but I'm posting for two reasons - one, in case I actually manage it, my entry doesn't come completely out of the blue and two, to temporarily stop this thread from languishing on the eighth page or wherever. Bonus third, to stop Cyan needing to triple post.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Not Like This

The red bicycle lay abandoned at the side of the road, its owner's path clearly marked in the bushes at the edge of the forest. It would only be a matter of time now. The bike would only be red with rust and its owner a mangled corpse.

He tried to run. They all did. The smart ones tried to hide, but they never knew the rules so it didn't help them much. There wasn't even any need to run, the poor bastard would tire himself out, and there was nothing but trees for miles.

He was ahead now, tripping over roots and fallen branches and who knows what, then scrambling back up on his unsteady feet. His girlfriend had screamed at this point, but he still kept quiet, though you could see the terror on his face when he stole glances over his shoulder. He didn't want to look back, but he couldn't not to.

The last thing he saw was a hockey mask chipped at the corner of the mouth and an arm like a gorilla's grab him by the throat, and of course the machete. He was a nice kid, so there was no need for him to suffer. A clean cut, and a chunk of his head came off nice and smooth. Barely had time to scream. Of course his body had to be desecrated, but he was already dead so there was no harm in it, it's just the rules.

“Rufus? Did you get the mail?”

Rufus didn't answer, just planted his machete still dripping with blood in the woven rattan umbrella basket by the door. He removed the hockey mask and dropped it on the counter as he rubbed his five o'clock shadow in front of the hall mirror. He had a big and kind face, not the countenance of a man you expected to mangle your earthly remains, but that's what the mask was for. He let out a sigh and crashed down on the living room couch.

“Rufus! What have I told you about the machete? Clean it before you bring it in!”

Rufus remained silent, only rubbed his temples and hoped the voices would go away. They never did.

“Just look at what you've done! It's dripping all over the floor!”

“Curse you, woman!” Rufus shouted. “I have been out slaughtering teens all day to bring bread on the table! Is it too much to ask for a moment's rest when I get home?”

Mrs. Rufus had a lot more to share, but a knock at the door disrupted the family tableau. She threw up her hands and went to answer. A moment later she summoned her husband, for the visitor had come to see him. Rufus let out a louder sigh as he pushed himself up.

As an officious looking gentlemen was just handing out his hat and coat to his wife, Rufus knew his night was about to get a lot worse.

“Good to see you again, Rufus,” the visitor said. “Although I regret the circumstances.”

“What circumstances, Albert?” Rufus said. “Is this official Bureau business?”

“'Fraid so, Rufus,” Albert said. “They've opened a case against you.”

“Rufus!” Mrs. Rufus screamed. “What have you done? Don't you be lying now!”

“Get back in the kitchen, woman!” Rufus yelled. “I ain't done nothing, and even if I had it wouldn't concern you! Go on, shoo!”

After chasing his wife away, Rufus turned back to Albert. “Sorry about that, you know women. But what's this about a case?”

“We've received some alarming reports, about your recent activities.”

“I've been working on the clock, all right and proper, I have.”

“There's been an unlicensed slaughter of teens in Eeksbury forest, and it's your MO, Rufus.”

“Yeah, I killed those kids, but I was just covering for Randall. He had some family business to take care of and was already behind schedule, so asked me to off some kids for him to keep up with his quota. I'm telling you, these quotas are a total killer, there's no way anyone can keep up with them without losing his mind.”

But Albert was no longer listening to Rufus's complaints regarding the schedule, only shaking his head and grabbing Rufus by the shoulders. “Oh Rufus! Do you realize what you've done!”

“Albert, darn it, what are you saying?”

“Those kids weren't meant to be butchered! None of them were even virgins! Randall has been dealing in the black market and owes a lot money to some very shady people. To ease his debt, he has been pulling illegal runs, and now he tricked you to do one for him! We got him in custody now, but we got to you too late!”

Rufus backed away, holding his head. He felt like he could faint. “I, I killed those kids for nothing? But they were on the list.”

“It was a fake one, Rufus. It was really just camping.”

“But, but it wasn't my fault! I couldn't have known! Can't you just sweep this under the rug and blame it on Randall?”

Albert shook his head. “Not this time, Rufus. It goes too deep, and Randall is taking down anyone he can with him.”

Rufus sank on the floor, cradling his head in his huge hands. “Oh god, oh god, what have I done?”

“I'm sorry, Rufus,” Albert said and placed a hand on his shoulder. “But you're going to have to come with us.”

“Us?” Rufus sobbed.

“The boys from the Bureau are outside. I came in alone, hoping there was some mistake. But I see now that it's hopeless.”

“I don't want to go, Albert. Please, don't let them take me. I, I beg you!”

Albert's eyes were tearing up as he looked at Rufus on the floor, but it was clear to both men there was nothing he could do to help now. In their line of work an end was always a-coming at the hands of some hero, but as he now pulled his old friend up for a final embrace and the footsteps approached from the darkness without he knew the gentle giant would not receive an end he was deserving of.

“No, please, don't,” Rufus said when the men who did not display a trace of emotion came to pry him from the tender embrace of his friend.

“No, not like this! Not like this!” Rufus pleaded as he was dragged from his home, and all Albert could do was turn away his face, now in an agonized grimace and flooded with tears. Mrs. Rufus, having been eavesdropping, could no longer listen idly by but ran after her man. Albert caught her at the door.

“No, let him go,” he said, choking on his words.

“But, but Rufus!”

“Forget about Rufus!” Albert spat out with a voice so powerful in its resignation Mrs. Rufus stopped struggling for a moment and looked up at his red eyes, now gazing into the night where his friend had gone, not gently but roughly. "We all have to play by the rules," he said, but the words rang hollow in his mind, and on his tongue they tasted like vinegar.

GusBus

Failurific

By Gus

The slam of the car door and the familiar jangle of keys in the lock marked Blake’s arrival home.
Walking into the living room he found Jess sprawled on the sofa,
eyes glazed over as the television fed her the voyeuristic nutrition she craved daily.
“Hey babe, how goes it in the world of the vain and beautiful?” he said, plopping himself down beside her.
“Fantastic, Chloe just got engaged,” she said barely glancing up at him.
“Sounds intense,” he replied with a smirk. He reached for his phone,
“I’m gonna order some food, want anything?”
“Yeah, how about an order of divorce?” she said sitting up abruptly and switching the TV off.

“What?”, “What the hell are you talking about?”
“You heard me, a divorce,” she said.
“Oh come on,” he said scoffing, “what kind of corny line is that, did you pick that up from the Kardashians?”
“I’m serious Blake, I mean it this time. I want a motherfucking divorce.”
“Alright, what is this time?” he asked. “You wanna know? You really wanna know?” she said her tone increasing rapidly, “I’ll tell you.
One day. After we’re divorced. And you live far away. And we haven’t spoke in years.
And you message me wondering why the hell we split. Then, then, I’ll tell you.”

“This is insane. You can’t divorce me for no reason, what the hell did I do that’s making you say this?”
Suddenly, it hit him. His heart sank. Today, March 22. This was the day. Their day. He had forgotten. For the seventh time.

Cyan

Banned
so anyway, how long is ashes banned for? or do we have another zephyr incident?

Pretty sure it's not a perma. I wouldn't be shocked if he was back midway through the next challenge; that'd make it a two-month. Otherwise, maybe another month? Hope it's soon, the challenges aren't quite the same without him.

P.S. Guess whose birthday it is today! If you guessed "Cyan's alt account," you are correct!

Happy birthday, Tangent!

John Dunbar

correct about everything
P.S. Guess whose birthday it is today! If you guessed "Cyan's alt account," you are correct!

Happy birthday, Tangent!

mine was yesterday, but you didn't remember that.

but happy birthday tangent, we're almost samesies teehee

Cyan

Banned
John Dunbar - "Not Like This" - Love the twist on the slasher movie! I enjoyed this, sort of read it as a critique of the soullessness of the modern workplace. ;) The one thing is that I'd really expect this sort of character to be a lot more active. In the central scene of the story, he just kind of sits there and takes it. There's a bit of back-and-forth info in dialogue, and then that's really it. He goes quietly, albeit sobbing. For someone who has to go out and solve the potentially difficult problems of slaughtering various teenagers, I was not too impressed with his lack of any kind of attempt to solve this one. At least pick up the machete or something!

Filthy Slug - "The Last S.T.R.A.W.S." - Great prose-work on this one; it was a bit raw, but in some way read the better for it. Had a lot of trouble with the out-of-nowhere left turn midway through. Sometimes those work for me, and sometimes they don't. In this case, it didn't feel foreshadowed or in line with what had come before. The first part feels very much like a slice-of-life character piece, the guy and his girlfriend in a slowly fracturing relationship. And it was a good example of its kind. The second part throws that all out for a confusing melange of scifi elements.

Copernicus - "Kinked Tubular Pathways" - Huh, a little more meat here than your usual stuff, huh? Interesting that this is almost entirely narrative summary, but it has a sort of flow to it that really hangs together. I liked seeing the slow progression of events until she realizes she's totally lost her bearings. Would've liked to see a little bit more in-the-moment stuff along with the narrative summary.

Gattsu25 - "Both Ways" - Glad to see you submit something! I'm not sure standard feedback is called for here, so I'll just say that I hope it helps unblock you. And that some of the sensory stuff was really nicely done. ;)

Cyan

Banned
guskicksbus322 - "Failurific" - Oh dear. She put up with a lot, if he forgot their anniversary seven years running! I liked the rapid-fire dialogue, and the "voyeuristic nutrition" line. Could've maybe used a little fleshing out, a few more sensory details like you've got at the start.

Tangent - "Stress Management" - great work on the secondary objective! I really love some of your descriptive detail in this piece, especially the petroleum jelly and the gently tapping footsteps. It could've been trimmed a little in places, but you mostly hit it well. Some of the dialogue didn't sound quite right to my ear, and there was a little repetition--talking about stress several times, etc.

Sober - "Retrieving Secrets" - Hmm, interesting setting. I guess it's a sort of post-apoc thing. Nicely understated; it recedes to the background as it should. And the characters work well for me. There's a bit much explaining dialogue in the middle for my taste. Not sure we need all those details. Also, very coy with the secrets! I'm all for subtlety over two-by-fours, but there's something to be said for giving the reader a clue or two.

Votes:
1. John Dunbar - "Not Like This"
2. Tangent - "Stress Management"
3. Filthy Slug - "The Last S.T.R.A.W.S."

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm just going to edit this post and fill it up with my comments on your guys' stories as I reread them throughout the night.

Tangent-- This is a really cute story. Elena is a pretty believable and pretty precocious child. I enjoyed the details you included surrounding the maintenance and habitat of her friend, as it went slightly beyond surface level but never overly in depth. The parents, like in your last story, speak a bit too rigidly but there's a point where that rigidity falls and gives way to believable dialogue, “Not to mention the time that I knelt down to get a mixing bowl from the cupboard and saw your thing on the floor." Just calling the spider a "thing" works so well here, as the mother is clearly irritated and jumpy, so naturally her language would reflect that, whereas earlier and later dialogue just don't work as well for me. I like the unorthodox pet you picked and the little girl you developed is great but I'm not really sure I see the point in the constant mention of the spider's stress. Maybe Elena projecting her own stress onto the spider?

Votes:
1. Cyan
2. Tangent
3. J. Duns

Tangent

Wow, thanks guys!!! Thanks for all the birthday wishes. And JD, happy birthday too! I agree with Cyan: it's pretty awesome you wrote a story on your birthday. :)

I'm currently traveling through Utah and now to Yellowstone so I'm going to be super quick with my votes... sucks, but I'm trying to get away from screens as much as possible, at least, while I'm out on hikes and stuff. :p

Votes:
1. JD
2. Filthy Slug
3. Cyan

Sober

I'm currently traveling through Utah and now to Yellowstone so I'm going to be super quick with my votes... sucks, but I'm trying to get away from screens as much as possible, at least, while I'm out on hikes and stuff. :p
Wow, get outta here and enjoy the scenery!

Votes:
1. Tangent
2. John Dunbar
3. guskicksbus322

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom