• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you were around during the 83 video game crash, what are your memories of it?

Liberty4all

Banned
Wasn't the ColecoVision such a kick ass system for it's time? I loved it. WarGames was an awesome game and the sports games were killer as well. It was the first system I bought on my own and it felt great! One of my favorite consoles of all time.

I put many hours into WarGames, mouse trap, omega race, zaxxon, looping, smurfs, donkey kong, donkey kong jr, cosmic avenger, pitfall 2(amazing adventure game considering the hardware limitations), time pilot, and many more. ColecoVision was what got me hooked on gaming.

hiryu64

Moderation note: I took the liberty of deleting the 166 identical self-important posts that consisted of some variant of "lol hey guys look at me i was born just before or after 1983!!!! lol!!!".

I think everyone will agree the signal-to-noise ratio is more than a little bit better, and now all those people who were too busy posting about how they weren't born can actually read some of the interesting stories that got posted in the thread in the mean time. :)

Hah, good call there Stump. :lol

Yeah, while I was never around during those days, my dad got me one of those 10-in-1 joysticks that have a few of the more well-known Atari 2600 games like Adventure and Pong. Geez, I can only imagine the magic of seeing the first home video game consoles...

And yes, I played E.T. I was simply frustrated by how terrible a game it was and stopped playing immediately, but I can't even begin to think how people at the time must have felt when it was coming out as part of the hype-machine.

Fredrik

As a kid at the time you didn't think of it as a Crash at all, because how would you know? There wasn't much in the way of an industry new letter, or the web to tell you that such a thing had happened. I gamed right though those years and thought nothing of it. You could still buy games and there we plenty to choose from. Of course in the retrospective it clearly was a bigger deal, but most kids had zero idea it happened.
Same here, I just kept playing my games pretty much without knowing the crash even happened :/ Game & Watch was super popular too at that time so for me it never felt like it was a crash, maybe a shift in focus to portable gaming at most. Then came the Spectrum, Spectravideo and Commodore computers and it just took off from there. Don't know if the gaming computers were affected of the crash though? I got the first one in 1985.

Polk

Living in Europe well there weren't any crash really. At least I don't remember anything palticular for years 83-85. Maybe even more good games thanks to upgrade to Atari 130XE from 2600

bunbun777

Started gaming on the 2600 around '81, when the crash occurred I had no clue as I was 4-5 years old. Had apx. 15 games and loved it. Pitfall, Beserker, Space Invaders, Q-bert, Pacman, Missile Command, and Asteroids were some of my favorites. Then in 2nd grade, I almost crapped my pants when my Aunt sent me about 30+ games and another Atari! Got Popeye, Kangaroo, Bomb!!!, ET, that one where you were a cop and chased the crook through the mall, a bunch of others. Apparantly my little cousin who was 1 and a half years younger than me scored a Nintendo and had no use for the archaic Atari. It would not be until I found Super Mario Bros at the local boys and girls club that I would fall in love. 'Oh, that's on Nintendo?! Mommmmm!!' Got the Duckhunt/SMB combo for my B-day and never looked back.

edit- Keystone Coppers I think.

Le Singe

Neo Member
I gamed right though those years and thought nothing of it. You could still buy games and there we plenty to choose from. Of course in the retrospective it clearly was a bigger deal, but most kids had zero idea it happened.

Never mind kids. I had a Coleco and games were still coming out for it until 85. There were fun games you could load into computers from cassette tapes and a friend had an apple IIe that we played Aztec on. The NES was out pretty soon and arcades were still going strong. Plus there were boardgames and D&D was pretty popular then. I don't recall getting the feeling then that the game industry died or anything.

I think if arcades had collapsed in 83 as well it would have seemed a bigger deal. Dragon's Lair, Star Wars, Ghost n' Goblins, Gauntlet all came out around or after the crash. And the Amiga came out in 85 which was great for games.

Margalis

Banned
When I was a kid I had an old magazine that talked about the Famicom in Japan and how it was going to come out in the US in the next year or so.

The gist of it was that the Famicom was garbage, it was weird and Japanese, was going to fail, and a prime example of how good old American know-how was still king. Hilarious stuff in retrospect.

Even as a kid it was apparent to me that the 2600 and it's kin were stagnating and that the quality of games was all over the place. I spent more time using my Atari ST computer.

I owned ET, Raiders of the lost Ark, and at least one of the Swordquest games - all of which were terrible. I was also extremely confused about the difference between the 2600, 5200 and 7800, all of which seemed to play basically the same games.

Yet another European 11 year old playing games on my ZX Spectrum and didn't know there was a crash until years later. I was always more of a home PC guy anyway as were my friends with Atari STe, Commodore Amiga, C64 etc. NES & Megadrive and the like didn't really make any impact on me until years later.

One of the big differences between Europe and America/Japan i've found was that Europeans were more into Computer Games than Console Games in those days compared to everyone else.

Didn't know , didn't care .
I already had left my Colecovision which I bought after the Atari 2600 in favor of an Atari 800 and stayed with home consoles like the Atari 800/ST , C64 and Amiga all the way until the Snes launched .
The Nes and Nintendo console revival pretty much went passed me but the Snes was the perfect platform to jump in again .

cacildo

1) Nice stories

2) I was only one at that time. But in Brasil the Atari was king for a good few years after that, since localized NESses and Master Systems would arrive only in 87-88 if i remember it correctly

i was 8 years old and in Europe where we had the Spectrum and c64 .... what crash? ;)

The only Crash we had was this :

200px-Crash_Magazine_Cover_Issue_1.jpg

My brother had TK80x, which was the Brasiliam Spectrum. A bunch of games in cassete tapes and the computer started in BASIC. I made a few games (anything i could do with only a few lines and obvious questions with only two answers)

We had a few CRASH magazines and i couldnt understand any of it. But i loved it!

ranmafan

I was only like 4 or 5 at the time, but I do remember a little going to toys r us and seeing racks and baskets of discounted games all the time. Really really cheap and of course I didn't know why. It kind of reminds me today of when I go to a used game store in Japan or sofmap in akiba and see baskets and sections for games they can't sell and all, heavily discounted. It was like that but bigger. also I remember my parents always saying, we are getting a computer when I wanted a new Atari and what not, saying they were better than a game system. Ended up getting a c64 and that was my gaming machine from the to 89.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was around, but in the UK and I don't think the Atari 2600 was that popular, we were surrounded by home computers so I just played on my commodore 64.

Seems odd to think of a videogame crash based on the Atari 2600 when the Atari ST and Amiga were only a few years away.

bjork

I was too little to really know that there was a crash at all. I still saw arcade games, and they still had 2600 games and Intellivision or whatever when I went to Gemco or Sears. And I mostly played Berzerk anyway.

orion434

I remember game-bins at Toys R Us with $2.00 games. I had saved my Birthday money and really went to town. I had no idea that there even was a crash. I really wish those mini-arcade units went on sale, those are what I really liked to play... even if it were just 1 game.

PBMax

As a 10 year old it was awesome to go to the mall and dig through piles of $1.00 games. All the 2600 classics, cheap as dirt. I remember being so happy to score Keystone Kapers for $1.

I played those games for years, and got into PC gaming. That was more than enough to hold me over until the NES hit.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yeah the UK (and Europe as a whole I guess) was booming around that time off the back of the micro-computer explosion. Spectrum & C64 were huge, and there were so many more smaller platforms like Oric, Dragon, Amstrad, etc.

Turrican3

I was 10, but living in Europe and, specifically, in Italy, made me notice almost nothing of the crash. Home computers were extremely common, but consoles? Not so much.
Not to mention you could go at your local newsagent and get an allegedly "legal" pirate tape full of games: they just changed title/loading screen and the name of the game and... that's it!
(some years later someone even succeeded in selling - pirated - games with the original title unchanged... crazy, crazy times)

I think I had only two friends that owned a console: a Philips Videopac (this guy's family was very healthy) and an Intellivision. Everyone else either had a Vic20/C64 or... well, nothing.

By the way, at that time I was playing C64 with my friends (only got my own one C64C in 1986) and it felt great! :p

It was awesome when you were 11-12 years old and had no idea it was a bad period for the industry. Chopper Command, Tron: Deadly Discs, and just about any other game you wanted were available for almost nothing in big bins at K-Mart.

I was 13 and started getting into music and less interested in games, but I was also "going out" more so I hung around arcade games at teen centers and such. I was kind of unaware of the "home" gaming scene by that point.

The "video game crash" was really a retroactive assessment of what happened in '83 - at the time nobody was really talking about it, at least not the kids.
MTV was exploding and taking over the consciousness of 80s youth, everything else fell to the backseat.

MrWisker

at 45, I would say so. Nothing wrong with that, though!

I am 44 and sometimes feel like I am a senior citizen here as well. Anyhow, it was a crash and at the time I was pretty much into everything that was not video games. Had fun with the atari / intellivision run. But as a young teenager, frankly video games was not on my list of things to do. Sports and girls........

Thank Nintendo and some Mario dude for getting the gaming hook back into my system in University.

todahawk

As far as games go, still playing my Atari 2600, 5200, and Colecovision. And messing around with programming on my crude but fun commodore Vic 20. I was 19 years old.

yeah, man! Vic 20 loading from tape!

@Brashnir - i would bug my mom every freaking day asking if the catalog came.

Teletraan1

Banned
I was 7. I remember extremely cheap games. My parents let me buy 1 of everything they had for the Atari 2600. I had so many games after this that buying those storage racks for games was more expensive than the games themselves so I just stacked them up.

To me as some kid this seemed like the most glorious event ever. I am sure some business person somewhere were shitting their pants at the time but to me it was amazing. We didn't know what was going on back then as young kids. All we knew was that we were getting games for cheap and we loved it. I didn't find out till years later what that actually was. Thinking back it was almost better that we didn't know anything as kids, it let us enjoy it. I actually prefer it to now where we know every little detail of everything and some faux financial analyst has to put a financial spin on every thing in this hobby.

kswiston

2600 games were easy to find until about 1990 in various clearance houses and consignment shops and the like.

I had nearly the entire catalog of games for the system by 89 or so and my family probably spent less than 30 bucks on it. I remember being real young and getting a 25 cent allowance and that being able to buy a game from a bin! If I saved that or worked hard and got a dollar here or there I remember being able to buy an entire cardboard box at a yardsale with a system or two in it and a pile of games.

Even when the NES started to be seriously closed out in the late 90's I never experienced anything like the joy you'd get from your twentieth copy of Pac-Man or that one game you heard about and always wanted to try.

I think with the advent of Ebay, people started realizing their old gaming stuff was worth more. I got my C64 late (87 or 88?), but by about 1990, I remember picking up a ton of commodore stuff from local garage sales. Joysticks for $1-2, games for 50 cents. There was always a ton of Atari stuff as well. I never actually bought an Atari, but a few of my friends were still playing them in the late 80s/early 90s. Probably because NES was $200, and an Atari with 20 games was like a tenth the price. I still regret not buying a Sega Master System the one time I saw one at a yard sale...

I was eight years old. Atari 2600 games were dirt-cheap. I remember giant dump bins of 2600 games at Revco (a small drug-store) for 1-2$ each. During the summer I would get a new game every week and I amassed a giant library of the things. I wasn't old enough to feel bad about the industry, etc. I just enjoyed having tons of games. Like iPhone games today, they were only a buck each, and also like iPhone games, most of them were complete tripe, but you didn't care much because the cost was so small.

The next year I got a 7800 for Christmas, which I enjoyed until I played a NES a couple years later. Then I sold my giant Atari collection to buy a NES.

EDIT - As for home computers (Commordore, Apple, etc.), NOBODY around me ever had them at home. I would play with them in the stores and I wanted one but it was way out of our budget. Until 1990 or so the only place I ever saw computers was at school or some place of business.

Oppo

I was eight as well ('sup Zoidberg), and you know, to be honest I was not really cognisant of any sort of crash at the time.

I think my impressions at the time were that the 2600 and Coleco and consoles like that were sort of an aberration. Toys, really (awesome toys though). I was completely immersed in Commodore 64 land that year and for many going forward. Really too young to be paying attention to any sort of macro-aspect. Goes without saying, but no Internet, remember. Just youngling game magazines, which I couldn't afford, only browse until I got kicked out of the Becker's. I thought arcade machines were the holy grail and the C64 was basically as close as you could get at home, but never up to the might of those machines in the day.

I distinctly remember, in the depths of Elite, pining for the days when you could draw shaded polygons at a fast frame rate. Thinking, oh man, that is just going to be so flicking mind blowing, when they can do that.

At the time, I was ten and was more or less only noticing the appearance of bargain baskets and bins filled with legit and off-brand A2600 carts. Would scour through them and pick out one or two games to buy with the money I was just starting to earn from odd jobs after school doing yard work in neighborhoods for homeowners near to the low-income apartments I spent some time growing up in. Still mostly trading games with classmates at the time, though, and, really, I was more into arcade games and early computers (when I could get time on them) at that time. Didn't really know of a 'crash' until a computer game magazine I had read through at a local bookstore did a whole article on it and its ramifications for the wider electronic gaming scene. Wasn't until '84 and '85 that it was obvious that no new Atari (or any other) console games were due any time soon with the regularity of super-cheap pre-NES console games. By then, though, my interest in console gaming had evaporated and I was fully transitioned into Apple ][, Commodore-64, and Atari 8-bit computer games, swapping copies with those few fellow geeks at the semi-regular computer club meetings at school, using copied tools to hex-edit and copy software, and, in general, learning to program and use early graphics and sound creation programs. The crash was more or less something that came to be known in the years after through magazines, fanzines, and some more knowledgeable gaming geeks in the later 80s, IME.

Platy

1983 Catalogue for Sears (last pre-crash catalogue, video games don't show up again until 1988)
http://www.wishbookweb.com/1983_SearsWishbook/index.htm

Games are listed from $29-44. Here's an Atari page as an example

Small offtopic, but it is hilarious to see ONE Et merchandising and 3 pages dedicated to Star Wars stuff.... no other movie had ANYTHING to kids. It puts the Spaceballs merch joke in a new perspective, since today star wars has more, but not at THAT level.

And ..Hey I had those carebears ! =D

Also, somehow I always read your nick as Stumkapow and only now noticed that I was missing a middle "po" ...

lordmrw

I remember my older brothers coming home from Sears one day with a grocery bag full of Atari 2600 games they had bought for a dollar each. I wasn't aware of the crash at the time, I just thought it was awesome that we had so many different games to play. It did star to beocome obvious something was wrong about a year or so later when the video game sections of the department stores started to disappear completely.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
1983 Catalogue for Sears (last pre-crash catalogue, video games don't show up again until 1988)
http://www.wishbookweb.com/1983_SearsWishbook/index.htm

Games are listed from $29-44. Here's an Atari page as an example

Holy shit, I was just gonna post from that site! It's pretty crazy how there's a whole gap in videogame coverage, after having a HUGE section on the 2600 and every single obscure gaming system/gaming computer possible. I was of course one of those too young to remember the crash (born in '82 and didn't even know much about videogames until my parents bought me a NES) but hearing about stuff like this is pretty frightening... especially considering it is close to happening again.

Here's a small pic of a 2600 kiosk at Walmart. Didn't even know videogame kiosks have been around that long.

post-9102-130012489358_thumb.jpg

EdLuva

Was 11 at the time. I remember buying the Atari 2600 Swordquest Earth, Fire, and Waterworld games for 15 cents each at Revco drug stores. I didn't realize there was a video game crash. Oh, yeah, and falling in the stupid ET pits.

izakq

I was 10 at the time, and like others mentioned, I remember being able to buy games so cheap. I remember getting a bunch of Imagic and Activision games for a $1 at Wal-greens(?!?).

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Playing Pitfall, River Raid, and Missile Command.

I really didn't remember the crash part, though. We were poor and on 2nd hand stuff from the pawn shop anyway, so we didn't notice/care. Any excuse not to stand outside in 100deg heat with 98% humidity worked.

microtubule

@izakq, wow I totally forgot about the $1 games!!! I was 10 as well.

Crash wise, I owned all of the systems that were out at the time so it wasn't a big deal. Then the VIC-20/C64-128 kept me busy the second half of the 80's.

The event that really stands out for me though was the last day of school, a kid in my class asked to see my Pac-Man watch and I stupidly let him hold on to it. Once the final bell rang he took off like a rocket and yelled something that his mother would send me the money for the watch. I believe it was 83 and that was my video game crash, really loved that watch for gaming on the go at the time.

Wanace

I think I was really lucky that the crash happened when it did, because I was around 4 years old at the time and my earliest memories involved the Atari 2600 and a huge library of games that my parents must have accumulated during that time when everything was super cheap.

It spawned my love of gaming and although the Atari 2600 got shoved into a closet, eventually I got a Tandy 1000EX and King's Quest 3 and I was off and running.

izakq

@izakq, wow I totally forgot about the $1 games!!! I was 10 as well.

Crash wise, I owned all of the systems that were out at the time so it wasn't a big deal. Then the VIC-20/C64-128 kept me busy the second half of the 80's.

The event that really stands out for me though was the last day of school, a kid in my class asked to see my Pac-Man watch and I stupidly let him hold on to it. Once the final bell rang he took off like a rocket and yelled something that his mother would send me the money for the watch. I believe it was 83 and that was my video game crash, really loved that watch for gaming on the go at the time.

Aw shit, I remeber that watch. Always wanted one, but never got it. I do remember a friend of mine had one and I would always pester him to let me play it during recess. He would, but the watch would still be around his wrist with me standing there playing it, like an idiot in paradise.

calder

I was 10 and the crash didn't really affect me for a few years. I'm not sure I was even aware of it, my friends and I had our Atari's, Coleco Visions's and Intellivision's and there was still a glut of (suddenly cheaper) games and controllers out there that we didn't have yet. It wasn't until a few years later that I would even notice not getting new stuff for christmas or my birthday.

Weirdly, I don't remember there being much of a gap between the early consoles and the NES that came out a few years later. Just a lack of info for me back then, I may not have noticed especially as my family got a Coleco ADAM that bridged the gap. I actually never got or really wanted a NES at all and to this day have never owned a Nintendo console/device.

Oh god the ADAM, I can just remember the tape drive squealing as I waited and waited and waited for a game to load.
ipo9oq6jzIWh.jpg

hokey1

I was 20 and in college at the time. Owned a 2600 and a colecovision. Being a poor college student it was a gift at the time to be able to basically buy a game a week for around $1.00 to $5.00.

It was around 85 when i was out of school and purchased a c64. I remember being a big fan of EA back then. The games were packaged like record albums. This was after spending $180 on just the disk drive. That was the equivalent of $380 in today's money.

Beckx

I was 12 in 1983. My recollection of becoming aware of the crash was a 1984 issue of Electronic Games about the "Great Shakeout":

By this time I had already transitioned from the 2600 to an Atari XL computer and from there to a C64. Archon. Mail Order Monsters. Realms of Impossibility. Adventure Construction Set. Good god, those games.

What's funny in retrospect is think how short the actual "crash" was. The bottom fell out, harming the console market. But Nintendo announced they were bringing over the NES in 1985 - I vaguely remember that Electronic Games (now under its horrible new editorial team and shortly before the publication died) talking about how that machine would fail because consoles were dead.

The rest, of course, is history. I wish I still had my collection of dogeared EG magazines, and also the first few Nintendo fan club publications (which, in my mind's eye, I remember as stapled, xerox'd affairs under Howard Phillips' authorship - maybe reality was different, but if so, I prefer not to know).

Edit: what's really funny about that image is that Miner 2049er is the "winner" and presumed survivor - but while some of the other characters in that image have lived on (for good or ill), Miner has never been seen since.

I would have been 8, which means I had no idea what was going on, but I do remember being able to pick up like six Odyssey 2 games for cheap from the Sears Wish Book around that time, which might make sense.

I think this was around the time my parents bought me a TRS-80 with Klendathu and Dungeons of Daggorath also.

All I know is there was a huge gap of playing anything between getting bored of my Odyssey and playing the NES for the first time in a K Mart around '88.

Top Bottom