• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic Scores and how they affect your purchases?

MayauMiao

I never use Metacritic as a decision maker when it comes to purchasing games. All I do is to wait after release day, watch a few game play footage and feedback from actual gamers, then make a decision.

I don't rely on gaming websites anymore as they allow their personal politics to affect the score, like that horrible Wired article reviewing Hogwarts Legacy pushing their agenda over reviewing a game like a professional.

I think Ronin and stellar blade are gonna be great examples of this.

Precisely these two games are prime examples of must not trust MC scores.

- Ronin: "too many samurai games" "another game by Ubisoft formula" "nothing original (insert weird comparations with BOTW)"

- Stellar Blade: "another Nier Automata" "Sexy woman - bad"

They are already saying that bullshit without even testing these games. I suggest playing the demo in the case of Stellar Blade and reading comments from actual players, not agenda-driven journos.

CashPrizes

Metacritic itself, not in the slightest. Or any other review aggregator.
I like to look at the IGN review, I respect some of their editorial. Definitely not all, and they have some garbage freelancers like the guy who was giving Invincible season 1 6/10s consistantly.
Also PC Gamer.
And while it definitely does not determine my purchase, if I see a Steam game I am interested in has Overwhelmingly Positive that is a good sign. If it has bad net reviews on Steam I will look into it, make sure it is not some stupid boycott or launch issue that has since been resolved.

Precisely these two games are prime examples of must not trust MC scores.

- Ronin: "too many samurai games" "another game by Ubisoft formula" "nothing original (insert weird comparations with BOTW)"

- Stellar Blade: "another Nier Automata" "Sexy woman - bad"

They are already saying that bullshit without even testing these games. I suggest playing the demo in the case of Stellar Blade and reading comments from actual players, not agenda-driven journos.
Well the point of MC is not reading a certain reviewer or publication. It's taking the aggregate of the scores. Some reviews may have those complaints some might not, it will probably even out in the end. You may be right about Stellar blade getting docked too hard but the "issues" you listed about Ronin would be 100% valid to point out imo. Like it being a a Ubisoft game clone would be completely fair game to criticize it for. That's my biggest concern with it

MagnesD3

Its important but I look at the review sites individual scores more, I look at sites I kinda trust and/or ones I used to as well as user scores to get an idea if the game is worthwhile or not.

Last edited:
Too little because I'm generally informed on what I want to buy prior to the release of a game. Scores just help me to see if my predictions or worries for a game were true.

Lunarorbit

The only time I'm really interested is if an anticipated game is a giant skinker or the inverse.

Mostly just follow forums or what looks interesting on the ps store.

Also use it as a bullshit aggregator. You know how there's always some douche contrarian that wants to give a low score just to get clicks.

They dont generally. But if a poor score is because of shitty development/ bugs. Than I will read it and make up my mind.

The rest is personal preference.

FingerBang

They do somehow. A game that receives critical acclaim might push me towards a purchase if it looks interesting enough.

It normally doesn't affect me if I have no interest in the game or the genre. It can, however, affect my purchase if something I'm looking forward to receives a very low score.

Majukun

Has been years since I even opened the website, but in the past, when I used to indulge in steam sales and the like, I would use it to check if the games were interesting.

Vandole

Personally metacritic effects me in no way whatsoever. I don't buy my games when they immediately come out. I usually wait 6 months to a year or even longer. That's enough time for patches and updates to polish a game to a point where any launch bugs have disappeared, and any game that might have gotten docked scorewise for them will have corrected those problems.

Also, by waiting a longer length of time, I'm going to get a more accurate representation of its quality from gamers on different forums who played at their own pace instead of a reviewer who was trying to rush through it to hit a deadline.

Deerock71

It doesn't affect me if I'm already gung-ho on getting a game, but if I'm wishy-washy about it and reviews aren't great it can definitely kill any enthusiasm I had about picking it up.

amigastar

Personally metacritic effects me in no way whatsoever. I don't buy my games when they immediately come out. I usually wait 6 months to a year or even longer. That's enough time for patches and updates to polish a game to a point where any launch bugs have disappeared, and any game that might have gotten docked scorewise for them will have corrected those problems.

Also, by waiting a longer length of time, I'm going to get a more accurate representation of its quality from gamers on different forums who played at their own pace instead of a reviewer who was trying to rush through it to hit a deadline.
Usually yes, but in the case of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor not even the extra time was enough time. Which sucks because i would really love to get the game on PC.

Vandole

Usually yes, but in the case of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor not even the extra time was enough time. Which sucks because i would really love to get the game on PC.
And in that case, that extra time is enough to be confident that the game is going to stay bad forever.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Metacritic isn’t even a consideration when I make a purchase.

Steam user reviews and YouTube. Occasionally message board talk if it’s a AAA game.

Mozzarella

I approach low rated Metacritic games with caution, and higher ones with high expectations.
Only critics score though, the user score is garbage, i dont even look at it these days, it has been ruined beyond redemption. The staff is lazy, i reported few troll reviews many times and they dont do anything to them, so since that day i stopped caring about it.
I also check opencritic and Youtuber reviews.

skyfall

Never. Scoring is completely broken to begin with, and a lot of it is agenda driven now. 0/10s or10/10s not worth considering at all, use your own judgement

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
A low metacritic means a discounted price soon, and also that probably I should wait for patches for it to get good, so I hold off on buying until a sale if the price is too steep.

Kazdane

There is no way if a game got a 45 metacritic scores you guys wouldn't doubt your intended purchase. I know it cool to say you don't care but seriously a terrible aggregated score must affect your purchases, right?
I wouldn't even know. I don't care about metacritic score either way. I buy the games I think are cool, and the only ones I may be wary are those that come from developers I haven't heard of (but which most of the time have great reviews on steam, anyways). I couldn't care less what a bunch of critics think about a game. I'd rather form my own opinions.

Last edited:

ssringo

I'm pretty good at picking stuff I'd like without the need for metacritic or even user reviews.

The only time it might be a factor for me is if it's a game that looks interesting but is a genre I don't generally like Or play. But even then it would be balanced against user reviews. Returnal would be a good example.

lordrand11

I'd love to say not at all, but I genuinely look for compatibility issues in the reviewing scores like major or game breaking errors, if none present and it's something I looking forward to I just get it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
They don't.

I don't even actively look for Metascores. The only times when they come to my attention is when people on forums use them to fuel childish wars.

MiguelItUp

They don't. Review scores don't mean anything to me, period. If anything, I'll glance at a couple of reviews to see input on performance from a couple of sources I follow. But if I'm interested in something, I'm interested. The only thing that would affect my purchase is finding out if the game is completely broken or something.

fart town usa

Gold Member
They're meaningless to me but I do check it out of curiosity, not with all games. Mostly with older titles if I've forgot what the launch reception was for something I'm playing.

I really dislike the focus on reviews. Just look around, gamers have allowed themselves to be terrified at the thought of taking a chance on most games. I understand that everyone has a budget but we all know that games get dogpiled by people who have never played said game.

Also, some of my favorite games were absolutely roasted. 🤷‍♂️

CashPrizes

People who say "It does not affect me" have ZERO self-awareness.
It literally does not effect me tho... I never look at Metacritic. I don't look at any Review aggregator. So how would the meatcritic score effect me?
Before I buy a game on Steam SOMETIMES I notice the user review slant, and if I saw it said "Overwhelmingly negative" I might pause a second. You never know, you could be buying a fake game, happend to a lot of people with helldivers 2 I guess.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It affects my choice a little bit. I’m not going to buy a game just because it has a 90s meta or skip a game just because it has a 70s meta. There’s a bunch of playstation exclusives in the 90s and upper 80s range that I have zero interest in buying, for example. But if I’m looking for something to buy, I will definitely take critical reception into consideration along with youtube videos & a demo if applicable.

Portugeezer

For indie games, I can accept lower scores.

I like to believe that I don't let Metacritic influence me, but the reality is that AAA games under 80 will require some more research and reading reviews. I won't part with my €80 too easily.

Schmendrick

I´ll generally not look at anything below at least an 80 if it hasn`t somehow caught my attention otherwise.
After that I´ll look up a review from the 1-2 YT reviewers that seem to have a similar taste to mine and then I make my buying decision.

Last edited:
There is no way if a game got a 45 metacritic scores you guys wouldn't doubt your intended purchase. I know it cool to say you don't care but seriously a terrible aggregated score must affect your purchases, right?
No, I only go by the few people I trust. So many highly rated games are dogshit. Why wouldn't the reverse be true?

Success

It literally does not effect me tho... I never look at Metacritic. I don't look at any Review aggregator. So how would the meatcritic score effect me?
Before I buy a game on Steam SOMETIMES I notice the user review slant, and if I saw it said "Overwhelmingly negative" I might pause a second. You never know, you could be buying a fake game, happend to a lot of people with helldivers 2 I guess.

Because when you hear a game on GAF that gets 10/10 scores from mainstream outlets you at least check out some gameplay/pictures to see what the fuss is about and the games have a high MC score.

When a games gets 7/10 or 6/10 you are not going to bother doing the extra research.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Review scores mostly don't affect me.

What I like to do is check out the Steam reviews and filter them to only show the negative ones. If I see something very bad there then I might not purchase the game. Otherwise, if the game looks good to me and I don't see any red flags in the user reviews, then I'll most probably get it.

Top Bottom