• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question for DogGAF: Dog Obedience Training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering about bringing my dog to some training classes. I wanted to get GAFs opinion. Do they work well? Are they a waste of money?

Some background of my dog. I have a male Sheba Inu. (I made a thread a while back about him eating my 3DS) I got him when he was 2 and I've had him about 6 months now. He's made a lot of improvements from when I first got him but there's still little things I'd like to fix.

In short, he only listens like 75% of the time (I've read that his breed kind of does its own thing)The main problems are that he escapes my backyard occasionally and won't come back until he's ready, no matter how much we call him. He also goes crazy around dogs he doesn't know to the point where he has to be dragged away and I can't really bring him to dog parks and stuff.

So GAF, any tips? Anyone recommend classes?
Thanks in advance.

My corgi is only 10 weeks old and we are in training/obedience classes. I highly recommended as I have learned a lot.

If you can, go through a certified trainer, not something like Petsmart or PetCo. 6-8 week class is around 100-150.

You should only call him once and he should come. Calling multiple times just causes the dog to zone you out. Practice telling him to come in a small area with no distractions with a treat as incentive. I would also look into clicker training.

GaryD

Yes you should definitely take him to training. It helped a lot with my dog and I still continue the excercises today. My guy is very stubborn but he is slowly getting there.

Try avoid chasing your dog as it will become a game. Try falling on the ground in the yard and start laughing a lot some dogs will get excited and want to play. Also you can try running in the opposite direction and sometimrs they will give chase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom