• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata: Nintendo 2013 R&D Preview [Large Scale Restructure, New Miyamoto Team]

At the very least Nintendo Land is a much more exciting prospect for a casual game than anything that team has done in the last couple of years. I want Nintendo to create the next generation of Kirby, Star Fox, Metroid, etc, so they have an even bigger pool to choose from. Part of Nintendo's problem is that they are stuck having to make more of the same to sell their systems because of the lack of 3rd party support.

I still maintain Wii Music was a solid idea that was executed poorly. A pretty big misstep in retrospect.

Most bad games eventually started off as good ideas.

At the very least Nintendo Land is a much more exciting prospect for a casual game than anything that team has done in the last couple of years.

Really? It's kinda vision-less. The games look fun but the only thing that differentiates it from any other mini-game collection is, well, fan-service. And it's not even that good a level of fan-service. I agree with the sentiment that it comes across as a bit effortless, at least on the face of it.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I agree, it's part of what makes Wii U more exciting for me than Wii ever was. I hope small teams does mean he can make some rad Wii U Ware titles like Fez or something then, because that would be its own sort of dream come true.

Yeah, I feel that with budgets exploding next time around, Nintendo (and really, probably everyone else) will put a bigger focus on games that they can make for Wii U Ware and such.

Has Nintendo actually created any Wii Ware titles, btw?

I agree, it's part of what makes Wii U more exciting for me than Wii ever was. I hope small teams does mean he can make some rad Wii U Ware titles like Fez or something then, because that would be its own sort of dream come true.

Oh god, yes. This is what I'm talking about.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, I feel that with budgets exploding next time around, Nintendo (and really, probably everyone else) will put a bigger focus on games that they can make for Wii U Ware and such.

Has Nintendo actually created any Wii Ware titles, btw?

wasn't the ART STYLE games all Nintendo? Cubello, Light Trax, Orbient, Rotohex?

Really? It's kinda vision-less. The games look fun but the only thing that differentiates it from any other mini-game collection is, well, fan-service. And it's not even that good a level of fan-service. I agree with the sentiment that it comes across as trying too hard.

I was speaking comparitively to Nintendo's casual games in the last couple of years. The mini games actually seem to have a level of depth to them even if it's not much. Compare to this crap like Wii Party, Wii Play Motion, Nintendogs+Cats, etc. Even Wii Sports which is cited as some kind of revolution wasn't all that original. Motion sports had been done for years before hand even with a peripheral. Of course I have no intention of ever buying Nintendo Land standalone since I probably will be too late for the deluxe model. I'm just fucking ready to see Nintendo's games for Wii U that weren't either moved up from the Wii or rushed to make launch.

Daschysta

Developers and publishers treat Nintendo platforms like they are a wasteland...They like to think they are above having to put out content for Nintendo systems. As people like to point out leaving money on the table with the Wii more recently.

Nintendo systems have a stigma attached to them where developers and publishers have taken it upon themselves to not touch the Nintendo systems because of a perceived/imagined lack of a market for their games.

Gamer's do the same thing. Bayonetta 2 for example is supposedly too good a franchise to go on the kiddie Nintendo system to the point that people needed to bust out with death threats.

Japanese devs at least will be heavily behind Wii-U in most of their projects next gen imo. Devs that develop games that are geared toward the Japanese Market really have no other choice if they want to thrive on consoles in the homeland. Developers have already shown a willingness to jump from Sony for greener Nintendo pastures in the case of 3DS, since it seems that the only thing that kept them from being on DS instead PSP was the DS physically being incapable of high quality 3D, it may be that Japanese developers will be perfectly content developing for the dominant Nintendo Japanese home console in favor of the PS3 since it is now HD capable.

wasn't the ART STYLE games all Nintendo? Cubello, Light Trax, Orbient, Rotohex?

Skip, the Chibi-Robo and GiFTPiA guys, did those. I think.

I was speaking comparitively to Nintendo's casual games in the last couple of years. The mini games actually seem to have a level of depth to them even if it's not much. Compare to this crap like Wii Party, Wii Play Motion, Nintendogs+Cats, etc. Even Wii Sports which is cited as some kind of revolution wasn't all that original. Motion sports had been done for years before hand even with a peripheral. Of course I have no intention of ever buying Nintendo Land standalone since I probably will be too late for the deluxe model. I'm just fucking ready to see Nintendo's games for Wii U that weren't either moved up from the Wii or rushed to make launch.

Motion sports may have been done before but no-one did it as well as Nintendo did with Wii Sports. That shit took off like wildfire for a reason. It's not Nintendo's best game in years but it's easily their most successful, in terms of its goals and ambitions, and how thoroughly it accomplished them.

Nintendoland seems like it's almost being positioned as the equivalent for the Wii U, when it's not really showing any signs of being anything nearly as transcendental, so that's why it's not as exciting for me. It'll probably be more fun in the short term, but it's not like you'll be able to play it with your folks or anything.

Daschysta

because what that actually means to me is we'll get crap like Wii Music and Wii Sports, because those require significantly less resources to make than a modern title aimed at hardcore gamers.

I'd love to be wrong, but especially now that Wii U is a HD platform, budgets and teams required will be even higher. Only way I can imagine it being different is if he goes Wii U Ware, and even then... Miyamoto's inclination these days as it relates to 'new' stuff does not seem to trend toward games like Mario so much as more casual fare.

If that's the stuff Miyamoto wants to do then that's fine, and in this case it would mean it isn't spending EAD's resources to make them. If Miyamoto is developing more core stuff, then great too! It's win win.

Amir0x

Banned
If that's the stuff Miyamoto wants to do then that's fine, and in this case it would mean it isn't spending EAD's resources to make them. If Miyamoto is developing more core stuff, then great too! It's win win.

I dunno, I never understood why Nintendo never just expanded the number of development teams they had with all the money and success they were having so they could compete with more large-scale hardcore titles alongside their casual stuff, and thus please everyone. It seems like they'd be even better positioned to offer a wider range of experiences and capture all segments of the market more decisively. I never got why they didn't go for the jugular when they had a chance...

Skip, the Chibi-Robo and GiFTPiA guys, did those. I think.

Ah... then yeah I don't think Nintendo developed any Wii Ware games...

Wait, wasn't there a Dr. Mario WiiWare game or something?

metalslimer said:
Fluidity was Nintendo published although they don't actually own the studio that made it.

Yeah a bunch of WiiWare stuff was Nintendo published (that Aquarium thing was too, iirc), but developed?

Dr.Hadji

Sorry to say, I find this kind of thing to be at the root of the attitude problem with game players within a certain demographic. Wii Sports and Resort are fantastic games, even if you don't think they look hip or cool enough for what gaming "deserves". There's more authentic video game in Wii Sports Resort than in a dozen titles like Journey - though I recognize that Journey is an "art piece" and not really "a mere, vulgar game".

It's also why Nintendo will remain uncool to a certain, always replenishing age range of technology enthusiasts. They're never going to stop making stuff that embarrasses you, if stuff like Wii Sports bothers you.

Truth bombs right here.

That was an Arika joint, the Endless Ocean/Street Fighter EX folks. These are all co-productions technically, but it basically amounts to Tanabe making sure they aren't buggering it all up.

I dunno, I never understood why Nintendo never just expanded the number of development teams they had with all the money and success they were having so they could compete with more large-scale hardcore titles alongside their casual stuff, and thus please everyone. It seems like they'd be even better positioned to offer a wider range of experiences and capture all segments of the market more decisively. I never got why they didn't go for the jugular when they had a chance...

Probably because expanding that quickly and then having their success fall from under them would hurt them more than help. They have been hiring constantly since 2006 though and have a lot more people since then.

Ummm... shouldn't they have done this a few years ago? You know, before they launched their new handheld and console?

They started the process of building their new R&D facility years ago. This isn't something you just implement in a small time frame. It's just like any business. A large scale restructure takes a long time

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Finally spending some of that cash. Noticed Retro moved into a bigger place in Austin. Pretty close to Dell South.

kunonabi

I still maintain Wii Music was a solid idea that was executed poorly. A pretty big misstep in retrospect.

It was more of music theory/teaching tool as opposed to Nintendo's take on guitar hero which everyone assumed it was. It could have used higher quality samples and more tracks but the game itself was solid. I find it much harder to put together a quality composition in wii music than getting a high score in guitar hero which doesn't hold a candle to guitar freaks/beatmania etc. anyway.

NateDrake

I've gone through this thread and can't believe people are actually doubting Ninja. He has shared more than enough stuff in the past that turned out accurate, yet they don't believe this. Never change, NeoGAF.

You really think a poor improvisational midi game and a bunch of stripped down bare motion sports going to cost much to make? Shit, motion sports games were being made well before Nintendo came to the table, so it's not even like the idea was so radical that it would have required years of tinkering.

Still, maybe you're right, but it certainly didn't feel like it. I imagine the marketing budget cost triple what the game did to make. God, I hope they didn't spend much if that is the gameplay result :p

I wish game companies would release budgets in their financial stock holding meetings ;)'

Anyway, your idea of what the 'small team' means is exactly why it wouldn't mean much to me. That's sort of what I suspect too, and therefore it'd be pointless. Miyamoto should just let his legacy stand and move on to brighter horizons. Dude is getting up in age, isn't he? 60s?
Oh make no mistake, I'm no fan of the Wii _____ line in general (except Play Tanks and Sports Resort Flight), but I don't think they were cheapo throwaway endeavors either. A lot of thought, experimentation and likely investment obviously went into them, which is something the low end production values mask.

I think giving Miyamoto a small team is a good idea conceptually though. Even if you're not a fan of the fruit it bears, it at least gets him out of the way for the "mainline" stuff coming out of EAD, Retro, etc.

Daschysta

Yeah a bunch of WiiWare stuff was Nintendo published (that Aquarium thing was too, iirc), but developed?

Nintendo is expanding though, as well as using their resources to secure the talents of good 3rd parties to make nintendo published stuff. Retro has been expanding as well. I wouldn't put buying platinum past them either, the same bromance that happened with Monolithsoft seems to be happening again, and hints of restructuring, Sakurai being close with the people at platinum and coming back to Ninty combined, most importantly, with Platinum's difficulty getting published and getting a budget, and I think that Platinum and Nintendo may be on the way to collaborating on a more permanent basis. EAD Tokyo and Platinum, imo are the two most talented and innovative studios in Japan, period. Both of them under Nintendo's umbrella would be amazing, and lucrative for both. There is no other Japanese publisher that has the resources to push and polish Platinum's games as Nintendo. Platinum becomes Nintendo's go-to Niche/hardcore action studio filling a niche Nintendo typically doesn't themselves, and Platinum gets a big budget and actually has a chance to have a wider audience.

hatchx

Banned
I hope this means Pikmin 3 gets extra love seeing as it might be Miyamoto's last 'big' game. I'd love to see that series get a BANG on the third.

Yeah let me run a bit wild. Give me 10-20 levels, a long 20-30 hour campaign, challenge modes with enemy horde mode, multiplayer modes, off screen play, all the little bells and whistles of Pikmin 2. C'mon Miyamoto, this is your last big AAA production, you better blow this awesome franchise into the Mario, Zelda echelon where it belongs!

/Pikmin rant

Platinum becomes Nintendo's go-to Niche/hardcore action studio filling a niche Nintendo typically doesn't themselves, and Platinum gets a big budget and actually has a chance to have a wider audience.

And a better chance for a Platinum Games Starfox / Takamaru title :)

ASIS

My god, people wanting to Miyamoto to leave? Wii Sports is now a poor, visionless, degrading game?

What is going on here?

Daschysta

My god, people wanting to Miyamoto to leave? Wii Sports is now a poor, visionless, degrading game?

What is going on here?

Some people are under the delusion that he "holds back" games or "kiddiefies" them when it couldn't be further from the truth. He isn't leaving anyhow.

ASIS

Some people are under the delusion that he "holds back" games or "kiddiefies" them when it couldn't be further from the truth. He isn't leaving anyhow.

For the record, Miyamoto said he will take a bigger role in directing the next Zelda so haters eat your heart out :p

(I don't remember when he said that or if it was actually confirmed, I just remember something like that)

Zajora

Glad to see that Ninty is expanding. Honestly, I don't even think the fanboy goggles are affecting me when I say that it always seems like Nintendo's management makes good decisions all the time.

I think any move that lets other Nintendo employees shine besides Miyamoto is a good idea. (Even better that it lets him spend more time with new games) New blood is good. :p

Right now.

Central Office (Kyoto, Japan)
Nintendo EAD Kyoto, Nintendo IRD, SRD

Kyoto Research Institute (Kyoto, Japan)
Nintendo SPD, Intelligent Systems, Nintendo RED, Mario Club

New Kyoto Office (Kyoto, Japan)
?????? -

Nintendo Tokyo Office
Nintendo EAD Tokyo, Sora Ltd.

Edited to include the Sakurai pick-up.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."

What is going on here?

I want him to focus on one game at a time. Create masterpieces in his vision, and let more diverse game design emerge for the company as a whole.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
No... The exact opposite in fact. Retro has been hiring talented new staff at a high rate for quite a while now. Ramping up for HD development.

Heh, guess that would make more sense. Not sure what I was thinking of. Maybe it was Vigil? :p

IrishNinja

Eh, I'll believe it when I see results.

your post history makes this response really surprising

3 pages in and we still don't have a source.

Yeah. I'm out of here.

again with this? Shikimaru's apparently been around since before GAF, how is this news to you people?

You don't belong here.
I thought i was on a gaming forum where people knew this shit?

i can't recall every name that comes up here either without double-checking sometimes, why the condescension?

I know, i too have read that information on the internet.

....then why are you busting his balls?

Top Bottom