• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

aku:jiki

I guess I'm the only one who picked up Naughty Bear... I was half-expecting to hate the trial but I actually quite liked it, and the full game is no exception. I assumed the humor would be lame and dull, and for some reason I thought the gameplay was some basic FPS. Turns out that it's Manhunt with teddy bears and an awesome, funny narrator.

I couldn't ever really defend the joy in stalking behind someone with an ice pick in Manhunt, and I can't really justify why this game is fun either...but it is! I love how this game turns stealth gaming on its head; here, you don't want to hide corpses and sneak in shadows. You want the other bears to see you tear their buddies apart, leaving the corpses as trophies. The more you scare other bears shitless by being Jason's teddybear cousin, the higher your score. I'm just loving running through the level, rounding up all the sentries, gathering them close to a hiding spot and just popping out and killing them randomly, until the rest of them go insane and start attacking each other or just running around screaming.

Could do without the constant fucking freezing, though. I had two days of gameplay with no issues, but tonight it's been every 15 minutes. Feeling kinda salty that I lost my perfect platinum medal win on the peskiest, most annoying level. I'm not in love with how they've grossly miscalculated all the achievements either - I'll easily have all platinum medals before I even hit level 50 or master 200 items (and there's one for level 100, and something like 400 items).

So what's the objective in Keflings if there's no combat? I've only played the demo for a short time and made some buildings.
The objective is to just keep building until you can build up to the best buildings.

It really is one of the best understated games on XBLA, if you haven't grabbed it on sale, DO IT.

I plan to grab all three DLCs in the next week or so myself.

I'm also doing all of the weekly challenges so far, I wonder when I'll finally forget about one? So far, so good.

Card Boy

Banned
Not getting World of Kefflings. I don't see the point of it there is no combat or a constant threat. I built shit and do all the quests, then what?

ZeMMiK

Not getting World of Kefflings. I don't see the point of it there is no combat or a constant threat. I built shit and do all the quests, then what?

for some people that is relaxing. I know people ( girls mainly) who only like to build (The Sims)

ZeMMiK

for some people that is relaxing. I know people ( girls mainly) who only like to build (The Sims)

Vert boil

DOTW

Batman Arkham City - 1600msp/20$ (was 2400/29.99$) (US price, check your region)
--Arkham Bundle - 600msp (was 1200)
--Catwoman Bundle - 400msp (was 800)
--Challenge Map Pack - 120msp (was 240)
--Nightwing Bundle Pack - 280msp (was 560)
--Robin Bundle Pack - 280msp (was 560)
--Skin Bundle - 200msp (was 400)

-----

Wreckateer - 400msp (was 800)

DJ Hero 2
--Old Skool Hip Hop Mix Pack - 320msp (was 640)

Guitar Hero 3
--Muse Track Pack - 250msp (was 500)

Guitar Hero World Tour
--Smashing Pumpkins Track Pack - 220msp (was 440)

Guitar Hero 5
--Disturbed Track Pack - 220msp (was 440)

-----

THQ Publisher Sale

Apples to Apples - 200msp (was 800)
--A Bushel of Fun - 80msp (was 240)
Nexuiz - 200msp (was 800)
Voltron - 400msp (was 800)
Warhammer 40k: Kill Team - 400msp (was 800)

Darksiders 1 - 800msp/10$ (was 1600/20$) (US price, check your region)

Metro 2033 - 800msp/10$ (was 1600) (US price, check your region)

Saints Row 2 - 800msp/10$ (was 1600/20$) (US price, check your region)
--Corporate Warfare - 280msp (was 560)
--Ultor Exposed - 400msp (was 800)

Saints Row: The Third
--Gangstas In Space - 280msp (was 560)
--Genkibowl VII - 280msp (was 560)
--Genki Girl Pack - 120msp (was 240)
--Season Pass - 800msp (was 1600)
--The Trouble With Clones - 280msp (was 560)
--Witches & Wieners - 120msp (was 240)

UFC 3
--UFC 3 Season Pass - 600msp (was 1360)

UFC Personal Trainer
--Cain Velasquez Workout Pack - 400msp (was 800)
--Jon Jones Workout Pack - 400msp (was 800)

Warhammer 40k: Space Marine
--Chaos Unleashed - 400msp (was 800)
--Dreadnought Assault - 400msp (was 800)

WWE 12
--WWE '12 Fan Axxess - 480msp (was 960)

You don't know jack - 800msp/10$ (was 1600/20$) (US price, check your region)
--Pack 1 - 100msp (was 400)
--Pack 2 - 100msp (was 400)
--Pack 3 - 100msp (was 400)
--Pack 4 - 100msp (was 400)

-----
Sales & Specials+ app

Hydrothunder Hurricane - 600msp (was 1200)
Scrap Metal - 600msp (was 1200)
Wrecked Revenge - 600msp (was 1200)

Latest coming content posted - http://majornelson.com/2012/10/16/content-coming-soon-to-the-xbox-live-marketplace-17/

Gong

I beg everyone not to buy Wrecked, it's one of the worst games on XBLA, truly awful. Having to review it was one of the low points of the year for sure.

Guess I'm in for Scrap Metal and nothing else. Have been curious about that one lately anyway.

Naughty Bear is still fun, buy it!

I beg everyone not to buy Wrecked, it's one of the worst games on XBLA, truly awful. Having to review it was one of the low points of the year for sure.
Agreed with that; Wrecked is just an offensively bad mess. Hydro Thunder, on the other hand, is one of the best games on XBLA and everyone should buy that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Guess I'm in for Scrap Metal and nothing else. Have been curious about that one lately anyway.

Naughty Bear is still fun, buy it!

Agreed with that; Wrecked is just an offensively bad mess. Hydro Thunder, on the other hand, is one of the best games on XBLA and everyone should buy that.
I own both, and I liked Wrecked more than Scrap Metal. That genre peaked with Micro Machines 64 though.

I'm surprised that Red Faction: Battlegrounds isn't on sale too.

sytadel

Wrecked is still our favorite game to play when it comes to local 3 or 4 players. With friends it's worth more than what I paid. Still getting consistent playtime in our place, and very hearty laughs.

Metro is so tempting, especially after seeing it's sequel at E3.

Nexuiz is....something you should know is probably dead. Been dead since the day it came out.

Does Nexuiz have any player base?

If I could give you my copy of Nexuiz from XBLA, I would.
Bought it without playing the demo, thinking it would rival Quake Arena.
Confusion, Disgust, Anger...are words that come to mind when thinking about my experience.

Metro2033 for $10, that's a steal.
Really liked what I played a while ago, but got sidetracked and had to return the rental.
Think this shall be mine now.

Vert boil

Released today,

boxartlg.jpg
boxartlg.jpg
boxartlg.jpg

Intel Discovered - Free, 1.83GB. (US/CA only)

Serious Sam 3: BFE - 1200msp, 1.24GB.
--Jewel of the Nile - 1200msp, 215MB.

Zombie Driver HD - 800msp, 923MB.

Also,

A World of Keflings
--The Curse of the Zombiesaurus - 320msp

DOTW and all sales have been reduced now.

Released today,
Ugh, not really the best place to ask but I just got a new 360 and trying to click on download links on Xbox.com will try to download them to the old one. I've done a license transfer so my games work on the new one and that's all fine, but I can't find how to change what console to download to. Anyone know?

Also, here's hoping Zombie Driver is as awesome as it should be!

Vert boil

Snuck in 30 minutes of SS3. Playing the full game so the demo experience could be like sikkz posted.

There was some very noticeable tearing in the intro movie but the helicopter was going very fast and so far there has been none in game (but the beginning of SS3 is very slow and fairly enclosed). Some texture pop-up and the auto-save halting the game (it can be turned off) for half a second has been the only iffy bit so far. Idles between 30-50fps (fps option in menu) as you run around and I've seen no major slowdown so far but I haven't been in a big battle yet. Just 20-30 mobs so far.

yikes. thanks for saving me the time.
Don't take his word for it, I'm really loving the game. Looks pretty good (very good for XBLA), very fluid and fast motions, good sensitivity and a nicely absurd aim assist where you don't have to be spot on (which just makes the game more fun because there's a ton of enemies charging you). The framerate isn't rock solid 60fps, but it's not all that terrible and I've had zero tearing so far. The only thing I'm not liking is the default controller setup; switching weapons instead of reloading should be smooth and not cumbersome, considering the waves of enemies attacking you, like it is with the default. Hopefully I can change it in the full version, but I can say that a week ago I wasn't really buying this due to the high cost, but now I feel like just spending the 2400 MSP right away and diving right in.

Zombie Driver, on the other hand, sucks and blows. I have no idea why they thought that control method would be more fun than if it played like Renegade Ops.

Rlan

Played a bit of Zombie Driver and Serious Sam. Didn't notice any tearing in Serious Sam, outside of the auto-saves seemingly popping up at unopportune times. Zombie Driver had a bunch of tearing, but still quite fun!

Tain

The framerate isn't rock solid 60fps

Wait, does it hit 60fps at times? Even most of the time?

The PC version was pretty impressive to me from a tech perspective, with all the destruction and dust on top of everything else, and I'd be really impressed if the 360 version kept up.

Vert boil

I just noticed, SS3 only has 200GS...
I want my money back!

Really hard to read the menu's even on a HD telly unless you are really close. Teeny tiny text.
Apart from that it's been very nice so far.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Damn where's the hype? I think a lot of people will be surprised how fun this game is when they actually get to play it. XBLA Goty quality right here folks.
It's a day one title for me, but MS is slow to get XBLA games out. We might not see it until late next year, for all we know. I'll get hyped when we get a release date.

Lothars

I picked up Apples to Apples last night and other than the Giant Bomb Quicklook, I have had not experience in it.

It's alot of fun and definitely worth 200 points.

Slermy

Will probably get the Space Marine DLC when that is on sale. I think a few people still play the game, which is good.

I was playing multiplayer earlier in the year, great stuff. Knowing that people are still playing makes me want to jump back in. Userbase seemed pretty good, you could go in fresh and still do okay.

Gowans

Zombie Driver HD is a mess. Must run at about 20FPS and has an absolute fuckton of tearing.
It's the worst! Haven't seen performance like that get through to release since quake 4 at 360 launch

Made me feel sick, looks horrid an the camera placement doesn't help too. I bet they pointed it down from the horizon more to help performance too, they can't have done it for gameplay reasons.

SickBoy

Wow, I remember the first time I saw VF2 in person... totally blown away by it. Now... well... :)

(Holy cow, via Wikipedia: 18 years old?!?)

...loved the Saturn version too... it's what sold me on the console.

jgkspsx

You Don't Know Jack complete for $15? Is that worth it?

Edit: Sonic the Fighters should have been included free with Fighting Vipers or something.

Top Bottom