• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 BFG edition. Anyone excited for this?

antitrop

Sorry if the BFG looks worse then the Original Doom 3, this is a complete rip off man. You can't spin this.
Well, it's 1920x1080, but it looks like shit.

rRjhN.jpg

alazz

Tim: Action-ified? Ha! Someone else asked me the same question about the horror genre and I never really thought that much about it. For us, it was the logical thing to do to make Doom 3 more appealing. Because, like John said, one of the big criticisms was, ‘Oh, it’s too dark, and I ran out of ammo.’ But I think you can still make a game scary and fun without making it scary and frustrating. Sometimes players get frustrated in Doom 3 because they ran out of ammo, or they were lost, or there were people with flashlights; and just because it’s difficult to play, doesn’t necessarily make it scary. I do think there’s a huge opportunity for games to excel in the scary genre. Heck, things that we’re doing in the future, we want them to be scary, but action is definitely where it’s at. I think that… we live in, it may be good or it may be bad, but we live in a Call of Duty era. That’s just the way it is. And that franchise has more impact on the industry than I think people realise. You just have to kind of go with the flow.
But that's good, right? The original Dooms were action games to their core, and fucking excelled at it. That's what we need. Coming out of Rage, id needs to do less pretense and more balls-to-the-wall demon killing. If they had only added more enemies and had more open levels...

Fantasmo

Sorry if the BFG looks worse then the Original Doom 3, this is a complete rip off man. You can't spin this.

It's a different product, it's not FOR you, it's for a CoD generation, and unless you were dying to play it in 3d or with an Occulus Rift, you shouldn't have bought it. I'd feel ripped if I bought it, but what the hell made you guys buy it? 10 measly levels and 3d/hmd support?

antitrop

It's a different product, it's not FOR you, it's for a CoD generation, and unless you were dying to play it in 3d or with an Occulus Rift, you shouldn't have bought it. I'd feel ripped if I bought it, but what the hell made you guys buy it? 10 measly levels and 3d/hmd support?
I was ill-informed of the modding capabilities. I'm also too lazy to dig the jewel case from 2004 out of my closet, though maybe soon.

Teknoman

Extra levels, supposed to have improved lighting/graphics, Widescreen ratio support, among other tweaks.

sp3000

Had everything downloaded before the all in one download was posted, so figured i'd install everything on my own. Everything is in the right place, and i'm guessing I just put Wulfen textures in the base folder...but everytime I start the game, the loading bar fills and then the game just sits there.

Wulfen textures go in the sikkmod folder

Riggs

Banned

Jump to conclusions much? I never said it was for me. I never said I bought it. To answer you, no I did not buy it. Thankfully.

All good though man, I get what your saying I guess. Sorry to come off hostile I just did bath saltz.

Fantasmo

I was ill-informed of the modding capabilities. I'm also too lazy to dig the jewel case from 2004 out of my closet, though maybe soon.

It's in that article from August 31, a month and a half ago. It's a re-release. The reason it got bumped down in quality is because it was quickly put together for console gamers the action is more of a focus and PC suffered the consequences. Perhaps the PC version shouldn't have been released, or a big warning sign should have been put there, but if I owned a game already, I'd at least wait for ONE review to show up.

Seik

Banned

-I don't have any physical version of Doom 3.
-Doom port have the OG soundtrack, making it the best console version compared to SNES/32X, all the others (PS, Saturn, N64, etc.) have the new 'ambiance' soundtrack that isn't bad imo, but I REALLY prefer the OG soundtrack. Them rock/metal tracks pump me up for some massive demons killing spree.

antitrop

The only justifiable reason for this existing on PC is because of 3D.

But I don't have the capability of taking advantage of that. Not worth the money, I don't care about 3D.

You can easily unpack this game's files but how are you going to repack them, and what's this texture format? If one could figure it out we could port the HD textures people have made to this!

vif4r.jpg

hre7g.jpg

40da5.jpg

q9ccu.jpg

cibfj.jpg

BHK3

Banned
Only tried Doom 1, but here goes: it is 4:3 with black bars, 30fps, music volume is kind of low (even when turned all the way up in the options), it's too bright (no adjustment is available for this), there's no way to back out of it without quitting the entire game (going to XMB), and, while everything scrolls smoothly 99% of the time, I'm seeing judder here and there. It happens if you strafe while looking at the walls with the diagonal metal plates -- the ones where you can see through to the other side (the room before the exit in E1M1 has them, and they're at the beginning of E1M3). I also see some judder at the beginning of E1M2.

It's a pretty shoddy port compared to the XBLA version.

God damn it are you serious? They couldnt just fucking port the xbla versions? How do you fuck up this bad iD....seriously...

I imagine it'll be patched on PC with additional stuff like Rage was. It's probably just to get a 360 port out at the same time as the others, then they can add PC specific stuff later. I imagine Rift support isn't actually in yet right?

Carmack "promised" a lot of things about the PC version of Rage, support for Eyefinity, HMD, "perfect motion blur", "perfect AA", a high bitrate exclusive level..

He said he intended to experiment with the idtech 5 engine, and he would release experimental executables.

Nothing of the above came out (hell not even mod tools, that at first they were saying they would be included with the game itself!)

Somehow I doubt he's going to spend time experimenting with idtech 4..

T-0800

I'm confused. Does the PS3 version suffer from tearing or not? Earlier impressions suggest it does but Dark 10 (spelling ?) didn't mention any.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I'm confused. Does the PS3 version suffer from tearing or not? Earlier impressions suggest it does but Dark 10 (spelling ?) didn't mention any.

of course there is tearing. not all the time mind you, just when you have the flash light on, for some odd reason.

Textures appear to be as bad as they always were, but due to how dark the game was it was harder to notice.

2 examples:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/152042

I am not particularly fond of the new bloomy lighting (I like the fact the game is not as dark, but I don't like the fact parts of the image are over-brighten - what I call "bloomy"). The lower FOV sucks, but it can be fixed for the gameplay (cutscenes play with the lower hardcoded FOV it seems)

Tell me GAF, what do you prefer?

Original Doom 3: http://screenshotcomparison.com/images/Original_4691085273.png

BFG "over-brighten": http://screenshotcomparison.com/images/BFG_7936421508.png

BFG modded: http://www.abload.de/img/1s6jnx.png

abracadaver

Does the original doom 3 have good gamepad support ? I want to play this with the 360 pad.

Can you bring back the flashlight shadows with some cfg setting in the bfg edition ?

Im not sure which version to get

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
of course there is tearing. not all the time mind you, just when you have the flash light on, for some odd reason.

But it's locked at 60 fps right ?
so seems tearing is the only difference between the console versions.

So it's a pretty mediocre port of a 2003 game? Honestly, we should have Doom 4 by now.

I'm playing the original on PC right now, and it actually holds up pretty well. I remember it was the height of graphical prowess in 2003, and it's not ugly per say now.

Original Doom 3: http://screenshotcomparison.com/images/BFG_5429678130.png
BFG "over-brighten (aka default BFG)": http://screenshotcomparison.com/images/Original_0746532198.png
BFG modded: http://www.abload.de/img/1jfz7o.png

A better example:

BFG "over-brighten" (aka default BFG - r_overbright 2.0):
1zuu5q.png

BFG modded (r_overbright 1.0):
2moubp.png

Aaaaaaah, the bloom/contrast, my eyes!

No wonder the textures while being the same as in 2004, appear to be worse at first glance. And you lose so much detail with the blown up light/contrast/bloom whatever you want to call it.

What do you prefer GAF? BFG can be made to look more like the original, and you can still add the "bloom" effect if you want, but I find the value id has chosen is absolutely ridiculous! (My "modded" version is with it disabled - I think).

TUROK

lol at the downgraded armor texture. Even the original from 2004 was higher res than that.

are you even trying id

It really sucks that this is the same studio who went that extra mile with detail in the original with the interactive panels
The resolution of the armor is exactly the same. I even hopped on my Doom 3 copy to check it out. The only difference is that the armor used to be yellow.

Facial texture was changed, though.

Carmack "promised" a lot of things about the PC version of Rage, support for Eyefinity, HMD, "perfect motion blur", "perfect AA", a high bitrate exclusive level..

He said he intended to experiment with the idtech 5 engine, and he would release experimental executables.

Nothing of the above came out (hell not even mod tools, that at first they were saying they would be included with the game itself!)

Somehow I doubt he's going to spend time experimenting with idtech 4..

carmack checked out of caring about gaming a long time ago bro. he's 45 with kids. it's just a part time job to him now in between his love for rockets and assorted gadgets like the occulus rift.

just realize that and it'll be easier to understand.

highrider

Banned
i'm kind of the target audience for this. i only game on ps/360 but i played doom 3 and rroe on xbox. i'm a fan but i'm wondering if the jump is enough.

JebusF

Neo Member
This has held up surprisingly well actually, quite impressed by it.

Admittedly, my memory is awful, but the game feels reasonably fresh, weirdly.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Ok im really sorry guys. but after the first few levels. the graphics really start to shine...holy crap what a difference.

I have no idea why. the first few levels looked meh...but damn does the lighting really improve.

Original Doom 3: http://screenshotcomparison.com/images/BFG_5429678130.png
BFG "over-brighten (aka default BFG)": http://screenshotcomparison.com/images/Original_0746532198.png
BFG modded: http://www.abload.de/img/1jfz7o.png

A better example:

BFG "over-brighten" (aka default BFG):
1zuu5q.png

BFG modded:
2moubp.png

Aaaaaaah, the bloom/contrast, my eyes!

No wonder the textures while being the same as in 2004, appear to be worse at first glance. And you lose so much detail with the blown up light/contrast/bloom whatever you want to call it.

What do you prefer GAF? BFG can be made to look more like the original, while still benefiting from the increased light sources (so the game isn't as dark as it was), and you can still add the "bloom" effect if you want, but I find the value id has chosen is absolutely ridiculous! (My "modded" version is with it disabled - I think).

Default BFG reminds me of pics on the net when people raise the brightness in order to show something. It looks absolutely terrible.

Can you give the instructions on how to do this?

In the console change "r_overbright 2.0" to "r_overbright 1.0" for normal lighting = no "bloom"y effect = same as Doom 3 (but the game still has more light sources in many cases, so you'll still be able to see things better, which is good!).

Or to something like "r_overbright 1.2" for just a little amount of it.

"2.0" looks like ass.

edit:

Default BFG reminds me of pics on the net when people raise the brightness in order to show something. It looks absolutely terrible.

Yup.

Feindflug

So any of you guys with the 360 version...is there tearing? and is there any form of AA? IIRC Carmack at his keynote said that the console versions have some sort of AA in 2D mode.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Played through The Last Mission over a friends pass-the-pad style and man it was garbage. The level design really has that slapped-together look and feel that makes it seem like a mod. The encounter design is boring too. What a wasted opportunity. Resurrection of Evil was great so they should have just used Nerve again.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
lol at the downgraded armor texture. Even the original from 2004 was higher res than that.

are you even trying id
You're wrong. The armor is using the exact same texture as the original. The changes to the character model involve the hair color and teeth. Everything else is the same. There was NO downgrade made here. Stop spreading lies.

Around 50 Fps on a GTX 580 and i7 2500k. The textures aren't intensive on performance, they just take up VRAM. Most of the fps loss is from the HDR that is added.
Oh yes they are. Areas with lots of POM take a huge dive. The mission where you ride the train, instance, has several stops in large areas with those hexagonal tiles covering the floors. My framerate took a huge dive there with POM enabled. GTX-580 + i5 3570k + 8gb ram here.

I played through the entire game using Sikkmod and, yeah, it looks awesome but I wouldn't say it looks better than most 2012 games. The lighting and textures are great but the game still has a lot of very simplistic geometry. Sikkmod can already tax a modern PC as it is so bringing everything else up to 2012 standards would likely be impossible without a huge performance loss.

this is just embarrassing. why wouldn't they use the original textures...This is one of those times when I all I can do is look down and shake my head.
They absolutely did use the original textures.

Only tried Doom 1, but here goes: it is 4:3 with black bars, 30fps, music volume is kind of low (even when turned all the way up in the options), it's too bright (no adjustment is available for this), there's no way to back out of it without quitting the entire game (going to XMB), and, while everything scrolls smoothly 99% of the time, I'm seeing judder here and there. It happens if you strafe while looking at the walls with the diagonal metal plates -- the ones where you can see through to the other side (the room before the exit in E1M1 has them, and they're at the beginning of E1M3). I also see some judder at the beginning of E1M2.
It's the same as the XBLA version. In other words, it runs at the ORIGINAL framerate (which is basically "35 fps"). The reason you see judder is simply because it isn't synchronized with a 60 Hz display. You'll notice that the XMB is running at 60 fps meaning the game has engaged that mode but is limited by the original framerate. They simply chose not to upgrade it.

It is the XBLA version, unfortunately.

-Is the screen tearing that bad?
-Is the framerate stable?
-Are the ports of Doom/Doom II solid?
-Can you install the game, then play Doom/Doom II anyway?
1) No. It's not that bad. It does show up occasionally but, in general, you won't see it.

2) Yes, it's very stable. The only drops come in the form of tearing which is relatively infrequent.

3) Yes, the ports are solid. They are rendered at a higher resolution than the originals but everything else is basically kept the same. They don't use texture filtering, the framerate is limited to the same framerate as the original games, and they use a 4:3 aspect ratio. They do a good job preserving the original look and feel but they are only enhanced in regards to upgraded resolution and better synth.

4) Nope.

I should re-iterate that I was simply fascinated by the idea of the port more than anything else and wanted to check it out for myself. I have a perfectly configured Sikkmod installation on my PC already that I can run at 60 fps without any problems. I also mostly play Doom 1 and 2 using Doomsday. I know how good these things can look. I'm also very intimately familiar with the original releases of all three games.

Does the original doom 3 have good gamepad support ? I want to play this with the 360 pad.
No it does not. It has no real gamepad support. You can use something like Pinnacle Game Profiler (preferred) or X-Padder to add support and it doesn't feel bad *BUT* the game was not tuned for it and aiming can be difficult. I don't recommend it.

Top Bottom