• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM 3 (original or BFG) players getting free upgrade today to DOOM 3 bundle (DOOM 3 + DOOM 3 BFG + Resurrection of Evil)

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
if you have a copy of DOOM 3 or DOOM 3 BFG, you are upgraded to the bundle for free, thus meaning you get the other version & RoE expansion with no string attached.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2280/view/3370400926531461243

DOOM 3 will be merged into a package containing the original DOOM 3 plus the Resurrection of Evil expansion and DOOM 3: BFG Edition. The package allows each version to be installed separately as follows:
  • DOOM 3
  • DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil (Requires DOOM 3 to be installed)
  • DOOM 3: BFG Edition
NOTE: Players that already own DOOM 3 or DOOM 3: BFG Edition on Steam will be upgraded to the DOOM 3 consolidated package with all three releases for free!

ZehDon

Gold Member
Brilliant - very consumer friendly.

As someone who's not a fan of the DOOM 3 BFG Edition and its changed, I'm really glad OG DOOM 3 is still being supported. It's the superior version, in my opinion.

T-Cake

Oh this is great news. A lot of these older Steam titles have their DLC as separate entries and it plays havoc with my OCD.

It looks like Doom (1993) and Doom II are already done. I've hidden the Doom II components which are no longer needed.
Doom II not done. My Steam installation doesn't have the four options listed in the posting yet.

Last edited:
Not bad. I suppose its good for those without BFG given it has all the DLC, plus there's a BFA mod that removes some of the changes, and also has Doom & Doom II so you're getting a nice content bump.

T-Cake

just reinstalled D3, it appears to be still the original version.

With Doom 3, it's just the purchasing that's altered. If you buy or have bought any of the three constituent titles (Doom 3 OG, Doom 3 RoE or Doom 3 BFG) you get all three games. But they will each have their individual listings in the library.

It's Quake II which will supposedly have the DLC integrated but that's not happened yet.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I played Doom 3 during COVID lockdown time. I tried the OG version but it didnt play nice with widescreen support and some other issues. I ended up just playing the BFG version.

Graphically this game still looks amazing and was way ahead of its time. Gameplay didnt age well for me it was a bit slow.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I played Doom 3 during COVID lockdown time. I tried the OG version but it didnt play nice with widescreen support and some other issues. I ended up just playing the BFG version.

Graphically this game still looks amazing and was way ahead of its time. Gameplay didnt age well for me it was a bit slow.
If you play it like a survival horror it works.

intbal

Hey id/Bethesda/Activision/Microsoft,

Why not add the OG Xbox version of Doom 3 to backwards compatibility while you're giving away these freebies?

Prekk

Neo Member

There's a source port for the og version. (also there's Classic-RBDOOM-3-BFG for the bfg version)

Compared to the original DOOM 3, the changes of dhewm 3 worth mentioning are:
  • 64-bit port
  • SDL for low-level OS support, OpenGL and input handling
  • OpenAL for audio output, all OS-specific audio backends are gone
  • OpenAL EFX for EAX reverb effects (read: EAX-like sound effects on all platforms/hardware)
  • Better support for widescreen (and arbitrary display resolutions)
  • A portable build system based on CMake
  • (Cross-)compilation with MinGW-w64

Tarin02543

With Doom 3, it's just the purchasing that's altered. If you buy or have bought any of the three constituent titles (Doom 3 OG, Doom 3 RoE or Doom 3 BFG) you get all three games. But they will each have their individual listings in the library.

It's Quake II which will supposedly have the DLC integrated but that's not happened yet.

Thanks, downloading now!

treemk

Banned
Pretty nice, I have the original on CD which is the best version and I have BFG on Steam. Nice to have everything on Steam now.

Demigod Mac

Love Doom 3, definitely underrated and unfairly maligned (play it properly: in the dark and with surround sound or headphones!)

Outta curiosity... what's considered the best source port for it these days?

Last edited:
Top Bottom