• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U TV campaign launches next week, 60-second ad to air during X Factor

fritolay

Yeah if they had just shown someone putting a game in the console by the TV, then picking up the tablet, I think it would have been more clear.

However, maybe they don't have to nor want to on this? 300 dollar nintendo tablet gaming thingy I will by my kids!

ASIS

but people today call an iPad (and other pads) a console.. So I can see how people can be confused.. they really think the tablet is "the console".. and the advert here is not really doing that job well..

I have never, in my life, heard a person call the iPad a console. Never. Furthermore, the fact that they seperate "console" from "controller" and then show the two next two each other kinda makes it obvious that Wii U is not just a controller.

Yeah if they had just shown someone putting a game in the console by the TV, then picking up the tablet, I think it would have been more clear.

However, maybe they don't have to nor want to on this? 300 dollar nintendo tablet gaming thingy I will by my kids!

They only had 60 seconds. They are not going to waste at least a fifth of it on something like that.

but people today call an iPad (and other pads) a console.. So I can see how people can be confused.. they really think the tablet is "the console".. and the advert here is not really doing that job well..
I have never in my life heard of somebody calling a tablet a "video game console "

Hanmik

I have never, in my life, heard a person call the iPad a console. Never. Furthermore, the fact that they seperate "console" from "controller" and then show the two next two each other kinda makes it obvious that Wii U is not just a controller.

talk to people who aren´t gamers 24/7.. please.. ask them why they don´t have a Wii, X360 or PS3.. and listen to how many tell you "because they have a good smartphone/tablet", they do their gaming an that platform. They might not directly call it a console, but it is their gaming platform. And that Nintendo Wii-U advert does not give a good impression to what is the console here..

look at the picture you posted.. A BRAND NEW CONSOLE.. but that text is right over the tablet-controller..that could/might be confusing to some..

AzaK

I asked a friend about the ad tonight. He only games occasionally, and doesn't keep up with events like me. His response:

"Yeah, I saw the Wii U commercial. I hadn't realised it was a completely new console! That screen controller looks amazing!"

TL:DR It won't win any awards, but the ad did its job, and got the "COMPLETELY NEW CONSOLE COMING SOON" message out there.

Exactly. It summarised the main features of Wii U with simple examples. Mission accomplished regardless of how cheesy and "un-hardcore" it was.

This is one of the driest and most straight forward video game related advertisements I have seen in a long time. It's effective because it tells you what the machine is, highlights all of its new key features and shows gameplay footage. But it doesn't try to do anything beyond that. It almost reminds me of an infomercial.

It's effective, but not particularly interesting... aside from the Brad Pitt cameo at the beginning :p .

christinecvg.jpg

Thanks Christine Caruana - Please do something else for a career

Oh man they edited the article before I got a chance to read it. I guess it must have actually been a mistake. What a dumbass.

They need a celebrity ad a bit like Penelope's one. They need a couple. one is playing then his partner appears so he switch to off screen then she says "I want to play too" and they play together

liger05

There will be idiots who go into stores on Nov 30th thinking the Gamepad is for there Wii but that wont be ninty's fault. Some people are just stupid!!

There will be idiots who go into stores on Nov 30th thinking the Gamepad is for there Wii but that wont be ninty's fault. Some people are just stupid!!

Well, this is the reason why Nintendo isn't planing on selling Wii-U controllers separately. They really want to drive it into consumers brains that this is a new console and not an upgrade.

It's irrelevant if they think the Gamepad is the console or not. It's clear as day that it isn't an accessory for the Wii and this is what is most important for Nintendo at this point.

They completely screwed up the transition from DS to 3DS by not making it brutally clear that the 3DS is a new console. Instead they tried to ride on the DS brand popularity and got burned because it was perceived as just another new model.

Preserved for posterity:

Oh wow... I mean Gaming journalism and so on... but wow, this has to be a new low.

I'd say its probably a tip of the hat to ongoing cultural ambivalence - what better way to stick it to the French than having one of their hot and awesome sounding women for a girlfriend.

Maybe if I buy a Wii U I can have a hot french girlfriend too

Started off like a JML advert, then he got progressively worse with his "Ping, ping, ping".

Still less cringe worthy than all of Nintendo's celeb endorsed ads.

Miles X

I really think that must be a special occurance just for you, that or you're making t up, not even casuals call iPads consoles ...

if this is the 60 second special, what is the condensed version like?

AngryMoth

Not bad but it doesn't do anything to change my opinion that it won't be a success with the casual audience. The Wii adverts had the message that you could now play golf or tennis, etc right in your front room, and that was an enormous part of its success. With Wii U I just don't think it has anywhere close to the same universal appeal, the core idea doesn't caputure your imagination in the same way.

Bumhead

Banned
I thought it was OK.

One or two bits that made me cringe but I think that's to be expected to a certain extent.

Nintendo's marketing pretty much has to speak to the lowest common denominator in a lot of respects, and I thought the advert did a good job of getting the message across regarding some of the systems features.

Only time will tell how consumers respond. I think it's difficult to say until the full marketing blitz rolls out. If that advert is supplemented by others (maybe one with a bit more of a family focus) as well as in store marketing and demo units, they should be OK.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not bad but it doesn't do anything to change my opinion that it won't be a success with the casual audience. The Wii adverts had the message that you could now play golf or tennis, etc right in your front room, and that was an enormous part of its success. With Wii U I just don't think it has anywhere close to the same universal appeal, the core idea doesn't caputure your imagination in the same way.

how is that any different from any normal console?

WiiU at least has the advantage of the huge brand power of Wii coming out of last gen.

m.i.s.

Banned
the core idea doesn't caputure your imagination in the same way.

Nintendo appears to do best when they lead rather than follow; as the DS touch screen and Wii motion controller amply demonstrate.

When they follow concepts that are already established, they flounder. As in the 3D in 3DS (which is selling in-spite of the 3D effect rather than because of it) and the tablet-like controller for the Wii U.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
I thought Nintendo-gamer gave a good review of the advert.

http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/10/22/seven-things-to-take-from-the-first-wii-u-tv-ad/

The ad is essentially a list of five reasons you should want the Wii U, but we reckon it should have been a list of three instead. The list given is as follows:

1) Do things you couldn’t do before (example – Takamaru’s Ninja Castle)
2) No more fighting over the TV (example – New Super Mario Bros. U)
3) See what you couldn’t see before (example – Zelda: Battle Quest)
4) Play in real time for real (example given – ZombiU)
5) Control like never before (example given – Batman: Arkham City’s detective mode)

Number 4 isn’t really a huge deal – yes, it’s exciting messing around with your inventory and breaking locks in real-time while zombies approach but it’s not really one of the main things you should be trying to explain to the public when you only have 60 seconds to make a first impression. Number 5 meanwhile was just another way of explaining number 3, since both showed the Wii U’s gyro being used to look around. Had we been in charge, the list would’ve been:

1) No more fighting over the TV (Call Of Duty)
2) Control like never before (Zelda Battle Quest)
3) Detail like never before (Assassin’s Creed III, while mentioning it’s Nintendo’s first HD system)

Yes, it’s nice to show off that the Wii U does a lot of interesting things, but let’s not forget how well the Wii did based on Wii Sports footage and the simple flick of a Remote. Too much info can be confusing.

Vinci

Danish
I think Nintendo did enough to indicate that this is a new console, not an add-on and not an iPad (fucking who calls those 'consoles'?). Whether you think the advert is appealing to a broad audience is one thing, but it's abundantly clear that it's a new system.

m.i.s.

Banned
that advert is shockingly bad.

Just saw it and I agree. It's a series of messages and screenshots which lack a "core" or unifying theme -- besides slappping you about the face that this a new console and that you should buy one.

There's just nothing that sticks out or is memorable about it.

Mlatador

Banned
Really boring ad...

That's not how you introduce a BRAND NEW CONSOLE (zOmG!).

There should be 2 types of commercials.

One that introduce the Wii U as the successor to the Wii and focus only on that. Like: It's BIGGER, BETTER and MORE FUN than EVER BEFORE!!!! *Explosions**Tits**Cool Music**Ninjas**Screeming People**Crying Nuns**OMG! SUCCESSOR TO THE WII**.

And then the others that go more into the details.

I hope the other commercials are LOUDER and more IN YOUR FACE!!!

AzaK

Really boring ad...

That's not how you introduce a BRAND NEW CONSOLE (zOmG!).

There should be 2 types of commercials.

One that introduce the Wii U as the successor to the Wii and focus only on that. Like: It's BIGGER, BETTER and MORE FUN than EVER BEFORE!!!! *Explosions**Tits**Cool Music**Ninjas**Screeming People**Crying Nuns**OMG! SUCCESSOR TO THE WII**.

And then the others that go more into the details.

I hope the other commercials are LOUDER and more IN YOUR FACE!!!

I'm sure there will be other commercials with different styles, aimed at different audiences.

jacksrb

I don't get the hate.

I wouldn't say is was awesome, but it was a good functional ad that covered:
- Its a new console
- Off-TV play
- New Mario game
- the new controller has a touch screen and lets you do a lot of cool stuff not available in other consoles

I think getting those points across is much more important than having a really slick campaign.

The messaging on the Wii U is a lot more challenging than the Wii, so the ads will probably be more information heavy. Not to say that they or someone else couldn't better present that information.

AzaK

Thing is, MS has a grip on anything CoD related, especially ads. Having that would have been great though.

Oh, and lol @ CVG.

What's the gist of this? I hear people saying it all the time about CoD; that MS owns the advertising or something? I've also read people suggesting that noone can say another version is better because of the agreement.

Watching that ad again, I can't for the life of me understand why they put in the Zombi U thing. You couldn't tell that there was a second view on the main screen that wasn't the keypad. The cuts were jarring and it was a complete waste of time.

Top Bottom