• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking News: Giantbomb reveals Wii U menu.

Love or hate situation with the UI?
I personally think it's ok, I don't think it's messy at all. No crazy ass sub menus like the hd twins, easier to navigate.

At least it doesn't look as sterile as the Wii and 3DS menus, even if it is similar. It has a bit more personality to me.

The MiiVerse plaza has a simple charm too due to the depth of field.

King_Moc

Banned
People actually have a problem with this UI and think it's kiddy? Really.

It's clean, well laid out, and with the touch screen you can open what ever you want just by touching one icon.

The Xbox UI is an ugly nightmare and forces ads on you and the PS3 one is just a joke. It takes about a thousand button presses to get to the option you want - if you can actually find it. I'll take the one touch UI, thanks.

WillyFive

That looks fantastic, but so did the Wii OS back in '06. Nintendo needs to keep updating their stuff, not just release it at launch and leave it alone for six years.

This would look current 10 years ago...

Yeah, Twitter and Facebook were all the rage in 2002.

Hobby

Gonna quote myself again with all the UI info that was shown.

Here's what user profiles look like.

Follow and friend request buttons.

Mii name: Will
ID: willwill
Number of times people empathized with him: 0
Birthday: not publically displayed
Game experience: advanced user

Number of comments: 9 (can be viewed)
Friends: - / 100 (can be viewed presumably)
Following: - / 1000 (can be viewed presumably)
Followers: - (can be viewed presumably)

- People you are friends with and are following's activity will be displayed under the "Everyone's activity" button on the left side panel.
- Friend requests sent privately via messages.

oJyrB.jpg

Opening the game icon on the WaraWara Plaza brings up these options:

New Super Mario Bros. U
- Friends (presumably) -
- Nintendo eShop button
- View Miiverse
- Close

Clicking on a Mii in WaraWara Plaza brings up these options:

Aoi (Mii name)
Her comment on Miiverse: "Regarding the fact that no matter what I do, I can't find any Star Coins"
- Save this Mii (guessing in your Mii studio).

New Super Mario Bros. U
- Open eShop page
- View this comment
- Go to profile
- Close

Hitting the Home button on the Wii U gamepad during a game brings up this menu:

From left to right
- Friends list
- Miiverse
- Nintendo eShop
- Internet browser
- Nintendo Tvii
- Download management

- Controller settings
- Close software
- Instruction manual

- Close Home button menu

Thanks for the translation.

I suppose with 100 friends and 1000 people you can follow, I will friend my real life friends and follow some peeps on NeoGAF.

Maybe add a couple people on NeoGAF as friends, but I am not really friendly with anyone here except maybe one person. (I am a very, very non-social person on the Internet. lol)

Do we know the differences between "friends" and "following"?

I imagine the relationship with friends is like in Facebook where you can message them and chat with them, as well as play online with them. Following must be like on Twitter and you will probably be able to see what they are playing and the posts they make on Miiverse.

flippedb

Banned

"Following" is maybe something like the "Subscription" thing in facebook. They can see what I do, but cannot interact properly with me (ie. chatting)

A "friend", on the other hand, can see what you do and interact with you.

Hobby

Yes, it works similarly to Twitter. Friends are actual friends, you will see their general activity in Miiverse's "Everyone's Activity" button on the panel to the left. This panel also includes buttons for My Menu, "Everyone's Activity" (as mentioned), Community [this is where general comments from strangers are posted in Miiverse], Messages, Notifications, and Close. Following means you aren't friends, but you can still see their general activity under that same "Everyone's Activity" button.

Edit: also, what Kaijima said.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Until it's in the wild, I'm guessing:

"Friend" = the ability to send and receive private messages and video chat calls, invite to games and party groups, and translate into "conventional" style friends lists through 3rd party games like Call of Duty.

"Following" = bookmarking someone's Mii so that you can see what games they are playing / have played, their public Miiverse post stream, screenshots they post to public streams, public status updates, and suchlike.

If it's generally like this I will be very happy, as there are always interesting people to follow but not pester, ala Twitter. For instance, a person who documents their play sessions with a steady stream of screenshots. Perhaps you'll be able to aim public comments @ a person you're following so they'll get notified of them, again much like Twitter.

Edit: twice beaten.

Idk, if that's the case (and those are some good guesses, it's certainly what I'm expecting) I can't envision too many scenarios in which I would want to follow someone but not be their friend. I'm interested enough in what they're playing, posting on Miiverse, I'm going to be interested enough to message with them and play with them online.

flippedb

Banned
Idk, if that's the case (and those are some good guesses, it's certainly what I'm expecting) I can't envision too many scenarios in which I would want to follow someone but not be their friend. I'm interested enough in what they're playing, posting on Miiverse, I'm going to be interested enough to message with them and play with them online.

Maybe you want to be their friends, but they won't accept you, so you'll just stalk them lol

Would happily follow Giant Bomb on the Miiverse. Just saying..

good point. Don't have to fight over a space in Jeff or Brad's friends lists, you can just follow them. And I wonder if organizations will have Miiverse pages. We'll know Nintendo's struck gold when brands like Coca-Cola have Miiverse accounts like they do on Facebook and Twitter lol

It'll probably be useful for people that would normally not accept your friend requests, like Reggie or someone famous.

hatchx

Banned
Thanks for the translation Hobby.

I think the UI looks and sounds fantastic. I'm very happy.

The only thing I'm still unsure of is joining people in online games.

I am happy to see a confirmation of never having to use the TV to turn on the system, navigate the menus, and play a game.

I really want to know what the Wii menu in the upper right corner of the tablet screen does. Does it open up the Wii system menu as if you're using an actual Wii, or does it just show you installed Wii games?

I mean here:
c0qUZ.jpg

The icon has the Wii channel layout... Hmm...

The only thing I'm still unsure of is joining people in online games.

I'd imagine that if you got a request to join in multiplayer games, the Home button would light up (just like when you receive a video call). Then you can accept the request and the game (if installed or inserted) will start up automatically and go straight to the match, just like Mario Kart 7.

I am happy to see a confirmation of never having to use the TV to turn on the system, navigate the menus, and play a game.

I really want to know what the Wii menu in the upper right corner of the tablet screen does. Does it open up the Wii system menu as if you're using an actual Wii, or does it just show you installed Wii games?

I mean here:
c0qUZ.jpg

The icon has the Wii channel layout... Hmm...

I'd imagine that if you got a request to join in multiplayer games, the Home button would light up (just like when you receive a video call). Then you can accept the request and the game (if installed or inserted) will start up automatically and go straight to the match, just like Mario Kart 7.

Probably boots the system into Wii Mode

wsippel

Banned
good point. Don't have to fight over a space in Jeff or Brad's friends lists, you can just follow them. And I wonder if organizations will have Miiverse pages. We'll know Nintendo's struck gold when brands like Coca-Cola have Miiverse accounts like they do on Facebook and Twitter lol
I'm pretty sure licensed developers will have "official" accounts, which would be one reason many indies seem so hyped.

MYE

And to people who say that this 3DS like setup is a bland looking menu

c0qUZ.jpg

The backround actually has some animation going on of out of focus icons, buttons or whatever, slowly swirling around the screen. You can bearly see it in this pic but its there.

Clean and bright with colorfull icons. I like it

Looks damn terrible. Not surprised though.

Neither am I of this post

Can someone list all the pre installed apps/games on this thing? I know japan has the karaoke thing but I don't know about anything else.

Best thing about 3ds networking social thing, is every once in a while some bigwig from nintendo sends you an voiced swapnote pimping something, or when they show up in your street pass.

Should be something all next gen systems should offer.

make gaming personal or w/e.

test_account

XP-39C²
Probably been asked before, but are there any words on using the menu without the WiiU controller?

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems that you can switch the menus between the TV and the controller.

Best thing about 3ds networking social thing, is every once in a while some bigwig from nintendo sends you an voiced swapnote pimping something, or when they show up in your street pass.

Should be something all next gen systems should offer.

make gaming personal or w/e.

Yeah, you might think it's charming when one of the nice friendly developers at Nintendo wants to let you know about a new game they want you to buy, but it looses its appeal somewhat when the Avatar of Don Mattrick pops up, reminding you that consuming Dew will get you double XP in Halo 4.

Will I be able to disable any of this WaraWara stuff? I really don't give a shit about other people's progress (or lack thereof) in games.

clemenx

Banned
How will spoilers be handled? I don't want to open Wara Wara Plaza and see a huge hand written message that says "OMG AERIS JUST DIED"

qq more

How will spoilers be handled? I don't want to open Wara Wara Plaza and see a huge hand written message that says "OMG AERIS JUST DIED"

Nintendo is monitoring messages for the Wara Wara Plaza.

And I think at least in the friends messaging thing, there's spoilers tags or something.

Yeah, you might think it's charming when one of the nice friendly developers at Nintendo wants to let you know about a new game they want you to buy, but it looses its appeal somewhat when the Avatar of Don Mattrick pops up, reminding you that consuming Dew will get you double XP in Halo 4.

I take back my wish.

Top Bottom