• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Thread (redux)

Mr. Fix

Some Aokiji spoilers (for Z):
apparently one of his legs is artificial- made by his ice fruit.
Nice if true for the manga!

One Piece: Episode of Nami
tumblr_m9l3xpAAZE1r1sj6oo1_500.gif

Well was crying tears of joy from about 1hr 12 minutes in until just about 1hr 41mins in. They made Arlong Park have litrally one of the best sequence of fight moments in One Piece, completely changes my opinion on the placement of the arc. I hope the same quality can be attained in that Episode of Luffy Hand Island or whatever thats coming up in December.

Zoro was utterly fantastic everytime he was on screen and what not and his outfit. Zoro v
Hachi was the best moment in this whole thing, three sword style v six sword style and then the way it was done
. They made Ussop's tricks seem to have an even larger and better effect than it appeared in the tv anime, like the smokescreen, and then Sanji
all those kicks and stuff versus the one dude once they emerge from the water, i was glued up close to see it, so many points of contact and then that end of fight line about him not wanting that dessert, epic
. Luffy's was really good too
the aerial combat portion when he made his hands like webs, and then the part when he did the gomu gomu no axe and the whole building was destroyed, stunning. I liked when he grabbed the swords even if it looked kind of goofy, it was still fun.

Not much to say on the story as its just a huge recap and I guess a good standalone if I didnt want to rewatch all the episodes of the arc. Wonder whats next. 8.

upandaway

Just watched Episode of Nami too. I teared up three times (even had to grab a tissue!). Hand was shaking during the flashback.

I don't even remember how I originally reacted to Arlong Park (I watched it in one go then too), but from the (clever) intro of this, I was already deep down the hole as if I was watching the arc for the first time.
That was so good, christ. That was amazing. I want this for every arc. Please do more of this. Hell, you can just do it again and I'll watch it.

I can't politically support any sort of bad word about it, sorry. To be honest the complaints about the music look and/or sound nefariously, comically silly to me right now. The music was fine and the movie was good, end of statement.

Thumbs up. And when I say that in plural, I mean precisely that.

Cwarrior

new episodes had some cool gif material.

Iuprr.gif

My hat is a tea cup, your argument is invalid.

9w5As.gif

3UcYW.gif

WONvr.gif

pfft lol

Vnsxa.gif

Here's some episode of Nami gifs

Spoiler

Sanji

Zoro

I enjoyed episode of nami but it wasn't the definitive version of the arc I was hoping for, it wasn't as great as the lower budget tv version.

So I bit the bullet and got collection 1-8 of One Piece, I'll probably end up checking out the dub when I have down time but it's mostly for the subbed version.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So I bit the bullet and got collection 1-8 of One Piece, I'll probably end up checking out the dub when I have down time but it's mostly for the subbed version.

It's worth it. Eric Vale is great as Sanji, and Colleen Clinkenbeard does an awesome Luffy. I would have preferred a man though, but stupid Toei forced them to use a woman.

I'm only missing Season 3 Volumes 3-5. Will probably get them over the next couple weeks. I have pre-ordered Season 4 Volume 3, that one is going to be huge dub-wise (Luffy vs. Usopp, Galley-La voices, FRANKY!)
Season 2 Volume 5 cost me quite a bit though. In a bit of "the cosmos are laughing", when I bought it for $70 dollars, I found a $50 dollar copy at an FYE the next day.

Maron

So the movies didn't actually happen (i.e. Shiki's still at large)? Not that I'm too concerned, I just hope that the new designs stay for when they eventually show up in the manga/anime.

As far as the manga storyline's concerned you could just say that Shiki never went through with his plan for whatever reason and view Movie 10 as a "what if" scenario if he did.

My friend continues to try and argue with me that the One Piece rap was the best English opening, seriously I dunno how anyone can defend that garbage.

Mr. Fix

As far as the manga storyline's concerned you could just say that Shiki never went through with his plan for whatever reason and view Movie 10 as a "what if" scenario if he did.

That's pretty much what I'll believe at this point.

My friend continues to try and argue with me that the One Piece rap was the best English opening, seriously I dunno how anyone can defend that garbage.

- Nostalgia goggles
- See: Songs like Gangnam Style - they're catchy
I hate Gangnam Style

Wiseblade

Oda worked on Z just like he did on Strong World. All the characters and designs are canon, just like Strong World. The actual integration of events into the storyline canon is probably not, also like Strong World.

Except there's a definite gap in the story immediately after Thriller Bark that Strong World is supposed to slot into.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Cross-posting from the AnimeGAF thread :D

One Piece - Thriller Bark Arc (326-381)

There was one thing I was sure of in my life: a shounen would never be able to make me cry.

Welp, so much for that. I guess you did warn me, Mad Pierrot, haha.

At first, this arc was a bit weird, specially coming off the Ice Hunter filler arc. Why? Well, Ice Hunter was about
an island that roamed the Grand Line capturing smaller ships to sell the pirates who owned them for their bounties.
And, coincidentally, Thriller Bark semeed to be about...
An island that roamed the Florian Triangle capturing smaller ships to sell the pirates who owned them for their bounties.
Obviously, then came the revelation that
Moria was actually a Shichibukai
and thatescalatedquickly.jpg. Still, the first part of the arc turned me off a bit.
It dragged on and on and on and on... Shit seemed straight out of Kaizoku Musou, hahaha. Non-stop running and fighting weaklings, w00t. The haunted theme was funny and surprising (despite already knowing about the "Thriller" part in this arc's title, I never saw it coming), but the novelty wore off the moment that random awkward zombie dance number showed up. Also, the fact that Oda decided to pair Chopper with Nami and Usopp as "the weak guys" annoyed me a little. I mean, did he read Enies Lobby?

Then the secondary face-offs started, and the only one who was actually enjoyable was
Zoro x Ryuma... And it only lasted half an episode. Well, I guess Usopp x Perona was neat because of Usopp's trolling antics.
But, overall, the confrontations in the first half were really disappointing.
Absalom was crap and got beat like a sack of meat, Perona barely fought... But the worst part was the hyper-hyped Chopper x Hogback clash that never happened. I'm ok with the fact that the doctor wasn't actually a fighter, but Chopper couldn't even deliver that glorious suplex? Come on, Oda.

But then...

The second half was pure shounen hype.

But before that,
Brook! What an awesome fella. I was afraid that this would finally be the time they'd introduce a nakama I didn't like... But, nope. Guy's simply awesome.

And so
Oz stops being 100% stupid Luffy and becomes a 50-50 between stupid Luffy and awesome Luffy, and shit starts getting real. Moria and Oz weren't really remarkable in any way, but their absurd power was enough to satisfy me. Yes, the "Luffy chases Moria and gets bitten by Brick Bats" mini-arc was very aggravating, but what happened after all that crap made me forget about it. I won't describe those episodes in detail, but holy shit, this show needs more team fights. Hopefully with Pirates Docking Six showing up, too, alongside the ingenuity and actually good animation from the team attack that downed Oz.
Of course: Oda again managed to make everything much more interesting with a sudden twist.
Kuma the Pacifista blew my mind a little. He also blew Moria's mind, haha. "You gon' die, mang."

Surprisingly, though, everything that happened after the "conclusion" of the arc were its best parts.

- First, episode number mother fuckin' 377. Also known as the best episode in the series yet. I mean, OH MY GOD. You guys know what I'm talking about, so I don't have to say anything else here. Just, wow.
- And second,
Brook's backstory.
This is the part where the tears come in. The initial revelation led me to this, and then...
Those three flashback episodes killed me. Sanji's backstory was sad, yeah. Nami's was sadder. Chopper's was sadder than Nami's. Robin's, of course, was also sad as hell. And so was Franky's. But Brook's, oh man, let me tell you: this shit makes Romeo's trajectory look like a Dora the Explorer episode. First they had to abandon Laboon. Then their captain died. And then... Wow. It's been a while, but I just couldn't hold back when they decided to record Brink's Sake and all of Brook's nakama started dying.
The blend of feels was too much.

So: first half = bad, second half = One Piece. Overall, I liked it. Also, what the fuck.

Oh, yeah! It seems they're finally reaching the future events and things in the series that the universe spoiled for me:

(Spoilers for future arcs... As in, future for me)
-
No, Luffy, Ace's not gonna be ok. I'm getting kind of nervous now that the time is almost here...
-
They mentioned Hancock! Cool.
-
Kaizoku Musou starts off with Luffy, Zoro and Sanji destroying Pacifistas like they're nothing. That's kind of funny. Obviously they're most definitely not as strong as Kuma, but still.

Previous impressions: Arabasta, Jaya + Skypiea, Davy Back Fight, Water 7 + Enies Lobby.

I love One Piece.

Mr. Fix

The second half of Thriller Bark was indeed so much better than the first. Oh, and if you though that whole second segment was crazy, wait till Sabaody. It's so crazy and great, especially having just come off of Thriller Bark.

Things start to get focused more on the characters outside of just the crew itself (as in, not just tied to one island), and you'll probably find new favorites in the upcoming batch.

Looking forward to your impressions on that arc as well!

upandaway

- And second,
Brook's backstory.
This is the part where the tears come in. The initial revelation led me to this, and then...
Those three flashback episodes killed me. Sanji's backstory was sad, yeah. Nami's was sadder. Chopper's was sadder than Nami's. Robin's, of course, was also sad as hell. And so was Franky's. But Brook's, oh man, let me tell you: this shit makes Romeo's trajectory look like a Dora the Explorer episode. First they had to abandon Laboon. Then their captain died. And then... Wow. It's been a while, but I just couldn't hold back when they decided to record Brink's Sake and all of Brook's nakama started dying.
The blend of feels was too much
That flashback still gets me. At first it's just surprising and then the flashback happens and then the song scene of the flashback happens and by the end there's nothing left to "get in your eye", it's flat out tears.

I'm not sure if other people will agree with me but I think you're at the right place to watch Strong World now. You're technically at the point you should watch it, and if you ignore that and continue, you'll quickly reach a point where you might think "so all this stuff in the movie happened before this and this and that.. and this and this and that". I'm terrible at explaining myself but I hope you get what I mean.

Brazil if you were planning to watch Strong World this is the part of the story line it would take place (after Thriller before Sabody) of course the character of Shiki won't be mentioned for a few arcs IIRC but as elements of Strong World are canon you should eventually check it out.

Mr. Fix

Brazil if you were planning to watch Strong World this is the part of the story line it would take place (after Thriller before Sabody) of course the character of Shiki won't be mentioned for a few arcs IIRC but as elements of Strong World are canon you should eventually check it out.

Yep, don't forget to watch episode/chapter 0 before you do so. There's sub for it on youtube.

BatDan

Well if true that's not too bad, as long as I don't see no rainbow dragons, Apis, or anyone losing their fucking memory with a Horsea.

Hopefully it's better than the last filler arc. I swear that had every One Piece filler cliche.
Little kid? Check.
Little kid hates pirates? Check.
Little kid screams the same thing over and over? Check.
Weird villain? Check.
Weird villain is somehow capable of taking on the Straw Hats? Check.

What made that last filler arc interesting is that it was promoted as a tie-in to Strong World. But the only thing related to it was 10 seconds of Shiki at the end.
Also, like a Bleach filler arc, it interrupted a canon one. Unlike those, it was only 4 episodes long, not 35.

On the subject of tits, at least they're nowhere near as bad as Movie 7. Seriously, there's fanservice, and then there's that insanity. How did nobody point that out?
I've noticed that the One Piece movies are similar to the Star Trek movies, in that the odd-numbered ones suck but the even-numbered ones are pretty good. Movies 2, 4, 6, and 10 are all worth watching, while Movies 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11 can be avoided. Movies 8 and 9 are flip-flopped.

What made that last filler arc interesting is that it was promoted as a tie-in to Strong World. But the only thing related to it was 10 seconds of Shiki at the end.
Also, like a Bleach filler arc, it interrupted a canon one. Unlike those, it was only 4 episodes long, not 35.

On the subject of tits, at least they're nowhere near as bad as Movie 7. Seriously, there's fanservice, and then there's that insanity. How did nobody point that out?
I've noticed that the One Piece movies are similar to the Star Trek movies, in that the odd-numbered ones suck but the even-numbered ones are pretty good. Movies 2, 4, 6, and 10 are all worth watching, while Movies 1, 3, 5, 7, and 11 can be avoided. Movies 8 and 9 are flip-flopped.

Movie 11 is not out yet BatDan :( and from spoilers seem awesome as hell .
Any way the filler is a tie the upcoming movie which i don't mine .
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...pisode-of-luffy/hand-island-no-boken-ad-aired trailer for it.
Looking forward to filler to see SH in new outfits among out stuff .

BatDan

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I fully endorse that Rasta Usopp. Time to (slowly) catch up with the last year's worth of anime episodes, I guess.

Cwarrior

Hopefully it's better than the last filler arc. I swear that had every One Piece filler cliche.
Little kid? Check.
Little kid hates pirates? Check.
Little kid screams the same thing over and over? Check.
Weird villain? Check.
Weird villain is somehow capable of taking on the Straw Hats? Check.

-pretty much everyone is weird in op especially the villains.
-having the villains being able to take on the straw hats makes it more interesting, it gives us some interesting fight like sombrero captain fight.

Movie 7 has awful doa jiggle but it's still a good mystery treasure hunt movie and movie 9 is one the best movies or the best movie.

Best op movie would be out of Movie 9 & 4.

SykoTech

Are they ever gonna change this opening? Thought for sure it would be different this time since they left Fish Man Island and all. Well, maybe next time. Either that or when the filler arc starts.

Looking forward to seeing how the clash between the Straw Hats and Smoker's fleet turns out.

Diablos54

Are they ever gonna change this opening? Thought for sure it would be different this time since they left Fish Man Island and all. Well, maybe next time. Either that or when the filler arc starts.

Looking forward to seeing how the clash between the Straw Hats and Smoker's fleet turns out.
I'm guessing it'll happen after the filler arc ends, that makes the most sense IMO.

Fun episode, nice hearing Bink's Sake again, and the crew's quick flashbacks help drive home the whole point of the 2 years was for that moment. Finally in the New World. :)

BatDan

-pretty much everyone is weird in op especially the villains.
-having the villains being able to take on the straw hats makes it more interesting, it gives us some interesting fight like sombrero captain fight.

Movie 7 has awful doa jiggle but it's still a good mystery treasure hunt movie and movie 9 is one the best movies or the best movie.

Best op movie would be out of Movie 9 & 4.

I did say Movies 8 and 9 were flip-flopped, in that they don't follow the rules. Much like how Star Trek Nemesis doesn't follow the "even-numbered Trek movies are good" rule.

Cwarrior

Next week the 4episode tieing into Flimz begins and Episode of luffy comes on the 15th December.

I did say Movies 8 and 9 were flip-flopped, in that they don't follow the rules. Much like how Star Trek Nemesis doesn't follow the "even-numbered Trek movies are good" rule.

oh I didn't know what you meant by that.

Maybe a new op after the four episode tie in?

prwxv3

I just re-watched the Water 7/Enies Lobby Arc and it was glorious. Then I watched Thriller Bark arc for the first time. The first part of off (except for Brook) and the other half was great. Brook made the whole arc worth it though, great character with a great backstory. Next up is Sabaody Archipelago Arc. I remember liking this arc in the mango.

KtSlime

Wasn't filler, apart from the flashbacks obviously. I think even the Nami/Sanji/Brooke scene happened in the manga.

Yeah, I guess it wasn't filler. I don't currently read the manga so I have no point of reference, but I was just using the word to mean very slow episode between story arcs with flashbacks, should have used a better word. True filler is usually pretty obvious in One Piece, and doesn't last 50 episodes like in some series... The preview for the Z related episodes looks pretty neat, too bad it will be like a year before I can watch Z. =(

Enjoyable episode, loved hearing binks sake again. I'm kind of looking forward to this filler arc, it gives me two doses of new OP each week (canon manga and filler side story).

Mr. Fix

Perfect theme used again during the rise to the New World. I'm disappointed that they didn't show the sea of flames though.

Top Bottom