• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koodo

Banned
SBUEs.jpg

Fucking Rihanus.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Unapologetic is the 7th CD in the discography of POP SUPERSTAR Rihanna. Coming hot on the heels of Talk That Talk, Rihanna is back with a new album where she and her producers have done a pretty amazing job in blending all of the different genres she covers into one cohesive album. Aside from a few missteps here and there, I feel as though they’ve collectively done an amazing job in achieving their goal. Unapologetic blends R&B, Pop, Dance-POP, a bit of EDM, and ballads all onto one album where everything feels welcome and is complimented so well by Rihanna’s voice.

Unapologetic contains production from some of the biggest hitmakers of today, and those same people on this album are responsible for her older hits as well. Stargate (“What’s my name”, “Only Girl”, “S&M”, “Don’t stop the music”, “Take a bow”, and “Rude Boy”) comes back to lend production on #1 single “Diamonds”, “Jump”, and “Lost in paradise”. The-Dream who previously penned smash hit “Umbrella” comes back to produce “Phresh off the runway”, “Nobody’s Business” and “Love without Tragedy/Mother Mary”. Benny Blanco lends production on lead single “Diamonds”, which was written by Sia. Clearly we can see that Rihanna has gathered a team of industry heavyweights to work on this album and it shows. There are so many songs that could be released here and do well, and it’s an album without a lot of filler.

Rihanna also features many artists both known and less known on the album, and in all cases, they compliment the song they are featured on pretty well. She teams with Eminem on “Numb”, another song with the two of them after mega-hit Love the Way you Lie landed on Eminem’s latest effort. She also teams with newcomer Future, Mikky Ekko, David Guetta, an uncredited Kanye verse on “Jump” (which is actually a ‘feature’ of sorts since it samples Ginuwine’s 90’s hit “Pony” which is made more ‘Rihanna’ by an EDM break after the chorus), and finally a feature with ex (or current)-lover Chris Brown on the aptly titled “Nobody’s business”

As we can see from above, the production, writing, and features on the song are stacked so heavily in her favor that it’s impossible to believe that this album could be nothing short of amazing right? Well, you’d be right. It isn’t amazing. It’s an exceptionally well done album, but there are a few missteps.

Let’s start with the good stuff though:

“Diamonds” is amazing. The writing by Sia and Stargate and Benny Blanco’s production compliment each other so well, and Rihanna’s voice works with it so well. As a matter of fact, her vocal performance on the whole album is definitely her best yet, and shows an immense amount of growth which is apparent if you watch her recent live renditions of this song. Another standout song to me is “Jump”. Upon first listen, the song felt wrong because of the EDM breakdown after Rih samples Ginuwine’s “Pony” chorus, but after a few listens, it works. I definitely like it because I’m a fan of the original, but I’m also a fan of this spiritual successor. “Nobody’s business” is another song that I like because of how different it sounds. The production is such a throwback to older songs that it’s able to sort of take you back in time while listening to it. Michael Jackson is (lightly, from what I can tell) sampled on this song, and while the subject matter may put people off with Rihanna and Chris singing “I wanna be your baby, you’ll always be my baby”, if you don’t focus on what has actually happened between them, it’s a very well done song by two singers whose voices work well together. Other standouts on the album are “Stay”, “Love without Tragedy”, and “What now”. They’re all very well done ballads from Rih which is surprising given how lackluster some of her ballads have been as of late.

Onto the not so good:

“Phresh off the Runway” is a fun song, but is mired by the fact that you can’t understand what she’s saying for a good portion of the song. The beat is so great, but it’s stuck with a song that goes nowhere and has no identity. Another stumble on the album is “Mother Mary”. It’s attached like a Siamese twin to “Love Without Tragedy”, but they’re two different songs. They may be alike, but there couldn’t be more of a gulf of quality between them. “Mother Mary” is a long boring song which has none of the poignancy or meaning of “Love Without Tragedy”. It just really doesn’t work for me with the album, and seems totally out of place. Other missteps are “Pour it up” and “Get it over with”. Two songs who have little to no meaning and again don’t find their place on the album.

Unapologetic shows an immense growth in Rihanna as an artist and her level of comfort in the genre’s she’s used before shows because she sounds her best in this comfortability. It’s definitely one of her better albums especially after the rushed Talk That Talk era, but there are a few too many missteps to put this as her best yet. Still a worthy effort from her, and well worth the listen.

Song to use: “Nobody’s Business”, “Jump”, “Love Without Tragedy”, “Diamonds”, “What now”

Songs to lose: “Mother Mary”, “Phresh off the Runway”, and “Get it over with”

The rest of the songs are inoffensive enough to play and enjoy.

A special Honorable Mention goes out to “Half of Me” which details that what we see of Rih in the news is only part of who she is. It’s a well done song that is penned by Adele and produced, again, by Stargate. It is definitely usable, and worth the listen.

Kyon

Banned

ny.gif

Now I wanna KNOW whew let these dusty cretins with faves that have long since been DISMISSED and never heard from AGAIN in here. Last time i checked your faves had no CAREERS or even STARTED one for that matter. There is NOTHING for you to STAN for.

irpGtBR5zdSoA.gif

Must be TIRING trying to get ANYONE to CARE for the FORGOTTEN vile creatures you all care so much for. Something to NOTE is that we here stan for SOMEBODIES and people who are FAMOUS not some cum stained trash on the alleyway in the city doing covers of our faves' music to get NOTICED.

J0IVg.gif

PoinT is that all you have been stanning for is a GHOST! a FART in the FABRIC of the UNIVERSE that no one seen or heard about. You are DISMISSED AGAIN as if you and your faves didnt hear it the FIRST time.

iKQLxgmNmyHmz.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
http://i1238.photobucket.com/albums/ff483/ydna2003/ny.gif[IMG]

Now I wanna KNOW whew let these dusty cretins with faves that have long since been DISMISSED and never heard from AGAIN in here. Last time i checked your faves had no CAREERS or even STARTED one for that matter. There is NOTHING for you to STAN for.

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/irpGtBR5zdSoA.gif[IMG]

Must be TIRING trying to get ANYONE to CARE for the FORGOTTEN vile creatures you all care so much for. Something to NOTE is that we here stan for SOMEBODIES and people who are FAMOUS not some cum stained trash on the alleyway in the city doing covers of our faves' music to get NOTICED.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/J0IVg.gif[IMG]

PoinT is that all you have been stanning for is a GHOST! a FART in the FABRIC of the UNIVERSE that no one seen or heard about.[/QUOTE]

So much love for you sis. <3<3<3

[quote="DMeisterJ, post: 44650493"]Can we fix the thread title tho?[/QUOTE]

Yeah change it back to PopGaf.

Satch

Banned
Now Cosmic Bus. You pressed soul. I am not going to give you any more promo than you deserve, since your brush with relevance while we were gone is enough. This is all I have to say on your pressed Rih hate

bitch, you seethed at every open opportunity in the dj room when the subject came up, and then you get unbanned and THAT is all you have to say?!

ch...

botty

Banned

dSC6L.gif
dSC6L.gif
dSC6L.gif
dSC6L.gif

dSC6L.gif

dSC6L.gif

dSC6L.gif

Majmun

I expected more Xtina shade tbh

With Lotus flopping and all.

Guess you all had enough time to vent in the dj room

ifuHZ2dK10PJu.gif

Back from the graveyard

@ < +)O Robido O(+> Another irrelevant flop (Surprised anyone?) who couldn’t come up with shade when we were there or any memorable one. Keep practicing your shade behind our back until you are able to actually shade in front of us. Not even borrowing Prince platform shoes can help your shade reach us. No childs play only grownups divas.

I'm not as naturally inclined to rudity like you girls. I usually try and keep it cute because A) its not that serious, and B) i kinda don't give a fuck. Please don't think that I actually expend any effort into shading or dragging, because I don't.

ibgZOUAumr7Yez.gif

PRESSED LIMITED PRESENTS

ibcKbSuTd73AsX.gif

Flawless victory.

Kyon

Banned

Check the first post on the last page. The fact that someone had to use TABLOID RUMORS to try and drag someone who has outdone their faves and punched her out for years is all you need to know that the STRUGGLE is alive and well.

wEHFW.gif

Has become plenty clear than Xtina is not worth the effort to shade. Like kicking a dieing, tone deaf, puppy.

zATTJ.gif

Rihanna should be fun if she fails to hit #1 though....on top of her disastrous album.

Mumei

I'm not as naturally inclined to rudity like you girls. I usually try and keep it cute because A) its not that serious, and B) i kinda don't give a fuck. Please don't think that I actually expend any effort into shading or dragging, because I don't.

It is like learning a new language; you have to start when you're young or you'll never really be fluent.

Kyon

Banned
Has become plenty clear than Xtina is not worth the effort to shade. Like kicking a dieing, tone deaf, puppy.

zATTJ.gif

Rihanna should be fun if she fails to hit #1 though....on top of her disastrous album.

#Cosign

Rihanus is the new target.

Let Xtina and her stans worry about Lotus's struggles.

iAj3YGXcowama.gif

Satch

Banned
You "<3" her because she wanted DMJ to drag you harder?

i48GtohYsEPM2.gif
i just think that if you're gonna talk about it, you should be about it

although this should be a non-shock coming from the same person that bandwagon stanned "Your Body" to cover his bases if it slayed, just so he could be on the right side of history (spoiler alert: he ended up on the wrong side of history)

DMeisterJ

Banned
#Cosign

Rihanus is the new target.

iAj3YGXcowama.gif

But... when hasn't she been the target?

i6LLONTnAzFMY.gif

although this should be a non-shock coming from the same person that bandwagon stanned "Your Body" to cover his bases if it slayed, just so he could be on the right side of history (spoiler alert: he ended up on the wrong side of history)

Do you have a problem? Aside from your taste, that is.

i6LLONTnAzFMY.gif

botty

Banned

Well now.

ie4VDEHaOakDU.gif

Artemisia

Banned
2012LanaDelReyLS02PR230412.jpg

This review may come as a shock to you if you pay attention to my posts. "OMG Doesn't Artemisia HATE Lana Del Rey??" Well, yes and no. She does have a few songs that slay me a bit, but there's something about her that just puts me off. Her vocals, the production style, or something else. I'm not sure. But the point is that even though I've listened to her album, I don't feel that I was completely openminded, or gave her a fair chance. So I've decided to give her that chance by re-listening to Born To Die.

Here we go~

Born To Die:
  • The string intro of this song functions as a really good album opener, I think.
  • I love how the chorus emphasizes the line "we were born to die" by toning down the production.
  • I feel that there could be more lyrical content before the second chorus. It feels so soon.
  • The song really drags on after that second chorus. It gets repetitive, and could use a proper bridge.
  • The guitar strums with the chanting is a great way to end the song.

Off to the Races:
  • Her vocals and the melody in the first verses are incredible.
  • The strings and the booming faded drums are so dramatic and I love it.
  • "Light of my life, fire of my loins, be a good baby, do what I want!" Her high pitched voice and the urban beat... this part is everything.
  • The chorus is somewhat of a letdown after the flawless verses and lead up into the chorus. But luckily we get another section of that~
  • The bridge is ok. Maybe it will catch on with me after a few more listens.
  • Song doesn't feel overly long like the opening song.
  • The production work here is commendable. The cheers in the background adds so much atmosphere, like you are actually right there at the derby ;_; Atmospheric.
  • Probably the best song on the album (not counting Paradise).

Blue Jeans:
  • The chords that open the song are so perfect and memorable. I can hear it throughout the song, and kinda wish it was more pronounced.
  • I like that shouting noise that plays throughout the song.
  • Her voice in the chorus is nice. I like the way she delivers the line "love you more than those bitches before".
  • The bridge is OK I guess. So is the ending. Nothing that stands out as well as the flawless intro.
  • Side note: The Penguin Prison remix of this song is pretty damn great; I suggest you listen.

Video Games:
  • I really do not like this song that much, and I am perplexed that this was the start of her online popularity. It's really nothing to write home about.
  • The song isn't -bad-, it's quite pretty and mellow, but it just doesn't go anywhere at all, or do anything interesting production-wise and melody-wise.
  • I don't have much to say aside from that oop

Diet Mountain Dew:
  • Another average song.
  • I have to admit the intro caught my attention immediately. I thought it was going to be another urban influenced bop, but sadly, it wasn't.
  • It's mainly the melody that I don't enjoy in this song. I bet if it was shifted a bit to make it less of a song that just rolls along happily I would be satisfied.
  • I really like the song name! It is a shame that the song didn't turn out to be as appealing or memorable.

National Anthem:
  • The production work here is fantastic. The uplifting intro with the distant cheers of celebration and fireworks just ends and this dark ominous beat and string work rolls in. Perfect.
  • I like the verses. The melodies are nice. The dialogue style of the lyrics is interesting.
  • I take issue with the chorus in this song (a recurring problem!). It's not bad, just not as great as the rest of the song. I guess I was just expecting something different.
  • The outro is sort of messy. Those lyrics... I mean... "Money is the anthem, God, you're so handsome, money is the anthem of success..." once is fine, but their cheesiness is revealed through the repetitions.
  • Overall, one of the best songs on the album.

Dark Paradise:
  • The urban beat is infectious.
  • The melodies in the prechorus are well done. "And there's no remedy for memory your face is Like a melody, it won't leave my head".
  • I love the chorus! It's so saddening, but makes me so jumpy.
  • The use of her high pitched voice after the second chorus is nice. "oh oh oh ah ha ha ha~"
  • What a great way to end the song.
  • Listening to the lyrics again, this song is really damn depressing...
  • Another album highlight.

Radio:
  • Don't really know why this song made the record. It was already meaty at 12, they could have let 1 or 2 go.
  • The buildup to the chorus made me think the song was going to slay, but it just ended up being the most anticlimactic thing ever. You can barely hear her voice even.
  • The definition of filler. The melody is cute, I guess.

Carmen:
  • Another underwhelming track, I'm afraid.
  • It's nice while you're listening to it, but you won't be singing it after it's over.
  • I love the rhyme work in the verses! "Carmen, carmen, staying up til morning Only seventeen, but she walks the streets so mean It's alarming truly how disarming you can be" Her droning voice works so well there.
  • Listening to it again, It really isn't that average. I like it a lot more now.

Million Dollar Man:
  • The song that spawned the infamous performance~
  • I like the jazzy lounge sound on this song.
  • Her vocal work on this track is good. I love the way she changes between her deep voice, and that cutesy high pitched voice.
  • It's not a bad song by any means, but pretty damn forgettable.

Summertime Sadness:
  • One of my favorites on the album.
  • The percussion work here is so great. I love how the beat switches up.
  • The chorus is so catchy. "Kiss me hard before you go... Summertime sadness..."
  • Focusing on her voice in the second verses was a good idea.
  • The ending of the song slays me every time. That distortion or whatever it is. Magnificent.
  • Album highlight.

This Is What Makes Us Girls:
  • This song reminds me of Off to the Races for some reason. Maybe its the urban beat or whatever? No matter.
  • Sorry to say this again, but the chorus again fails to impress me.
  • A shame because, I really enjoyed the verses.
  • Like Video Games, I seem to be struggling to find something to say about this song. It's good though. Just not a highlight. Not an ideal album closer either.
  • I thought this song would slay everything on the planet, what with how the fans talk about it.

Without You:
  • Oh lord, here come the bonus tracks. Not expecting much from these.
  • It seems my lowered expectations were warranted. This song is nothing special at all. Not awful, not amazing, and not in the middle either. It's just there.
  • What happened to the intriguing song titles? Without You is so cliché, I feel like there must be a hundred songs with that name.

Lolita:
  • Well... this certainly is a bonus track. It doesn't seem to thematically fit with the album at all.
  • This kind of material seems uncharacteristic to be honest. I'm more used to slow bops from Lana, but this is fairly upbeat.
  • The lyrics are terrible in this song. Especially in the chorus. "Hey Lolita, hey, Hey Lolita, hey".
  • At least the production work is good.
  • It's an OK song.

Lucky Ones:
  • First bad song on the album. She did good. 15 tracks and only one that I can't stand to listen to again.
  • Ugh it's just so boring (I really hate using that word to describe music, but it's just so fitting) and is unremarkable in EVERY regard.
  • Disposable.

Closing Comments:

This is a good album overall. There are not as many hard hitting tracks as I would like, but there are enough to get by, and it's not like the tracks that weren't highlights were terrible. They are certainly listenable and I wouldn't skip them if I listened to the album the whole way through again (except maybe Video Games). The production work here is pretty fucking excellent I have to say. It seems that the main producer on his album is a hip hop producer, and it shows. I truly enjoy the urban beats on this record. And the way they blend with her vocals and the grand orchestral arrangements is truly seamless.

I hate to say this but the lyric work on the album deserves criticism. Some of the phrases on this album are downright laughable. "You fit me better than my favorite sweater," "Money is the anthem, God, you're so handsome," "Hey Lolita, hey, Hey Lolita, hey," "I got that summertime, summertime sadness," and "I was like, “No please, stay here" are some of the standouts. While there is good writing to be found, I cannot believe she is hailed as some expert writer. She's got some skills, but not falling for common pop lyric shenanigans would have benefitted her.

With that being said, I am not stanning, but I do have some newfound love for her. I am interested to see how she grew in the short time between this and the rerelease. If Ride is anything to go off of, then I have a lot to look forward to.

Standout Tracks:

Off to the Races
National Anthem
Dark Paradise
Summertime Sadness

Final Score*:

&#9733;&#9733;&#9733;&#9734;&#9734;

(equivalent to the number of stars I should get for this review considering the amount of effort that went into it)

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom